Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

"Eject" your Kindle ????

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 39 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 10, 2011, 12:34:22 PM PDT
Betron says:
Probably a stupid question, but I am trying to transfer a list from my computer to my Kindle. The directions say to"eject" your Kindle from your computer and the list will be in my Kindle. What do they mean by eject? And, yes, my wifi is on.

Posted on May 10, 2011, 12:35:49 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 10, 2011, 12:36:27 PM PDT
Are you using a Mac or a PC?

For a Mac, click on your Finder, find your Kindle in the list and click on the button next to the Kindle to eject your Kindle.

You always want to "safely remove" your Kindle from your computer :-) Ejecting is another way of saying safely remove!

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2011, 12:36:24 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 10, 2011, 12:37:26 PM PDT
Simply saying that it is "safe" to unplug your Kindle from your computer, that the transfer is complete. On a PC there will be something on your computer towards the top that you just "click" on.

Posted on May 10, 2011, 12:36:52 PM PDT
Griffen says:
Left click on the kindle icon on your desktop. There should be an option to eject the device. All ejecting does is remove the device from the active memory to allow you to disconnect the kindle without damaging it.

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2011, 12:38:42 PM PDT
For eject, I go to Computer>>Right click the removable disc my Kindle is on>>click eject. I have Windows Vista, so you may need to do it another way, not sure. But it safely removes the Kindle from your computer. The screen on your Kindle should go back to normal & then you can disconnect your Kindle from your computer, w/o the risk of losing anything that you have done.

Posted on May 10, 2011, 1:26:01 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 14, 2012, 11:14:44 AM PDT]

Posted on May 11, 2011, 4:39:45 AM PDT
on PC XP and Windows 7, there should be an arrow or icon on the bottom right near the time and date. click it choose your device, and then click "safely eject". The main purpose is to make sure that any information transfer between the external storage device (Kindle, external hard drive, thumb drive, ipod, etc) is finished. Unplugging before "ejecting" can "Mess up" your storage device.

I am confused by the statement "wifi is on". Is your Kindle connected to the PC via the USB cord?

Posted on May 11, 2011, 4:47:21 AM PDT
L L. says:
If I am just charging mine, I just unplug it. You only need to eject if you've been sending documents or books just in case they aren't finished. On windows, you HAVE to eject going through my computer. Using the safely remove hardware tray won't work .

Posted on May 11, 2011, 5:54:53 AM PDT
Book-Lover says:
For Windows 7 or Vista:

If you simply want to completely disconnect your Kindle from your computer, you can use EITHER the "Eject" in the computer window OR the "Safely remove hardware" in the system tray. After you get the OK message, disconnect the Kindle. I know that isn't what Amazon says, but they are incorrect.

If you want your Kindle to continue charging from the USB port and (a) you want to use it while it is charging , or (b) you don't want access to the Kindle memory, then you MUST use "Eject" in the Computer window.

Linux and Mac instructions are somewhat different.

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2011, 6:22:35 AM PDT
I have Vista & I always thought that the directions said to use "Eject"

Posted on May 11, 2011, 8:07:23 AM PDT
Betron says:
Thank all of you for your suggestions. On my Dell, which is only a few months old, I found the "eject" function under "tools" - so that problem is solved. I did unplug the USB once without ejecting and hope I didn't damage my Kindle. Now, my problem is that while the USB is attached, I can see that my computer now shows several copies of my list on the Kindle, but I can't find them on the Kindle. What am I doing wrong? (PS - the wifi statement was in error)

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2011, 8:15:06 AM PDT
J. Mancini says:
From what I understand "eject" and "safely remove hardware" means the same thing.

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2011, 8:38:45 AM PDT
When I tried the safely remove hardware (or whatever it says), my Kindle stayed on the page w/ the lightning thing (the pic that is on your Kindle when attached to your computer), but when I use the "eject" it goes to my Kindle's home page. So, I am not quite sure if it is the same thing. Unfortunately, I am computer stupid, so it very well could & I just don't know it. LOL!

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2011, 8:48:03 AM PDT
J. Mancini says:
Oh, maybe I'm wrong. I'm computer stupid myself. I never use the USB port for my Kindle, because I already have wirelessly downloaded more books than I can read in the next few years through Amazon. But I use a thumb drive regularly and I just click on whatever makes the light go out before I pull the drive out. ;-)

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2011, 9:08:46 AM PDT
Debi says:
I click the little icon that looks like a cassette tape, then a pop up shows up that says "safely remove" whatever drive it is (I have several different things) I click that and then it says it may now be safely removed. My home page shows up.

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2011, 9:11:56 AM PDT
I use the USB for when I am loading my favorite recipes onto my Kindle - I need it to be certain font size so I do it myself.

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2011, 9:14:27 AM PDT
I have Vista - I have to right click the drive that the Kindle is (I know, I said that wrong)>>click eject>>my Kindle goes to it's home page & then I can either disconnect the Kindle or keep doing stuff on my computer.

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2011, 9:30:34 AM PDT
Debi says:
LOL, it's that Vista. I have XP. I've never even seen the word eject. :)

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2011, 9:33:18 AM PDT
I was thinking you probably had XP, because Vista & 7, you can use the eject (Vista you have to - 7 you can, but can also do it another way, just don't remember what it was). =)

Posted on May 14, 2012, 7:18:34 AM PDT
On the mac, "Eject" never seems to work. I click the disconnect on the Kindle, then disconnect the cable. My mac then yells at me, but since I did not have any applications open that should be using the kindle, I can't see where it could be doing any harm, especially if the Kindle itself disconnected itself. I CAN "Force Eject" but it takes several minutes.

In reply to an earlier post on May 14, 2012, 7:51:31 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 14, 2012, 7:07:35 PM PDT]

Posted on May 14, 2012, 11:05:06 AM PDT
One of the nice things about USB Ports when they were introduced, was that they were "Hot Swappable"

That being said, On Windows XP, Vista, and Window 7. in the system tray, you will see an icon for USB, and if you are connected to a memory device IE: Thumb Drive, Memory Stick, USB Hard Drive, Kindle or anything like that, You could, if you knew for certain that the device was not in communication with your computer, simply unplug it. But most people do not know that for certain and unplugging your device with your device is in communication with your computer could have devastating results, including damaging your device.

So when you are going to, or want to unplug your Kindle Fire, just look to your system tray, for the USB Icon, simply click on it and a dialog box will open up giving you the option to disconnect "Eject" your USB Device.

In reply to an earlier post on May 14, 2012, 11:11:19 AM PDT
Zanzibar--you're trying to respond to a post that's over a year old!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2012, 9:41:32 AM PDT
A. Clark says:
where is the "computer window"? I cannot find a place to click eject anywhere.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2012, 9:52:51 AM PDT
A. Clark, you use the eject command in Windows Explorer, on your computer.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Can Kindle or Kindle Paperwhite do reverse contrast (black background and white text)? 188 7 minutes ago
Discounted / Price Dropped Kindle eBooks IV 2567 27 minutes ago
Mass delte email on Kindle Fire HD help 64 40 minutes ago
How to delete books from Kindle Fire HD? 205 40 minutes ago
old ipad 1 41 minutes ago
Amazon Echo (no invite questions) 8632 47 minutes ago
We're Quirky! There Are Various Critters, Including Tail-less Manx Kittens, Here. We Also Have Hugh Manatee. Bring Your Quilting And Sewing Projects, Your Camera, And Your Instant Pot. So Geese And Tally Ho! 3720 50 minutes ago
KINDLE KITCHEN #6: A place for sharing, caring, chat and FUN! 8576 57 minutes ago
Elephants Three at The Ģrandest Hotel - Part IV 6346 1 hour ago
88th Raok - roads? Where we're going we don't need roads! 1393 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  26
Total posts:  39
Initial post:  May 10, 2011
Latest post:  Dec 21, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers