Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Shop Now STEM
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

No Page Numbers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 123 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 16, 2012 11:03:11 AM PDT
J. Crawford says:
I use the Kindle app for Android and according to the last update, I would see page numbers instead of location numbers. The book I just finished (same author as current book) showed page numbers. I really want my page numbers back, it gives me an idea how close I am to finishing my book.

Posted on Mar 16, 2012 3:03:51 PM PDT
Fud53 says:
1)not all books have page numbers-you'll have to ask the publisher for that and they may not care 2)if you look at the bottom of a page it gives you two numbers...one smaller than the other. If you can't get a really good idea how far you've read from that you need to rethink what you should be reading about.

Posted on Mar 16, 2012 3:55:10 PM PDT
Danica says:
Locations are just as informative as page numbers. The percentages work well too. I suggest that you enjoy the page numbers when reading a book that has them, and learn to use locations and percentages for books that don't. A little flexibility is always a good thing.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2012 6:07:20 AM PDT
J. Crawford says:
Thanks everyone, we all have our preferences, mine are just page numbers.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2012 6:11:06 AM PDT
J. Crawford says:
No need to "learn" how to use locations it's pretty simple, I just prefer page numbers.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2012 6:12:30 AM PDT
Just Peachy says:
Well the page numbers are not always there. So you have choices - 1) Don't read on the Kindle. 2) Read on the Kindle and complain about not always having page numbers. 3) Read on the Kindle and be flexible when there are no page numbers.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2012 6:14:22 AM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:
As stated not all books have them or will have. So it is nice to be flexible to what is available.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2012 6:18:10 AM PDT
J. Crawford says:
Wow, this minor request/statement has taken on a life of its own! I'm quite flexible and have been, I just wondered if there was something I needed to change in my settings as some books had page numbers and some had percentages. I guess I was just looking for continuity.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2012 6:32:34 AM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:
We are just trying to get it through to you how the books are set up. If there is no physical copy of a book available then they are not going to add page numbers. That is what the location numbers are for.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2012 7:14:11 AM PDT
Danica says:
Of course it's simple. I wasn't suggesting it isn't. I was merely trying to express myself in a gentle, unoffensive way.

Posted on Aug 27, 2012 4:20:15 PM PDT
ZebraPal says:
Have kindle app on elocity tablet...no page numbers, yet when I open same book on iphone or macbook I get page numbers??? Anyone have an idea of how to get the page nos on my tablet?

Posted on Aug 27, 2012 4:20:46 PM PDT
ZebraPal says:
Have kindle app on elocity tablet...no page numbers, yet when I open same book on iphone or macbook I get page numbers??? Anyone have an idea of how to get the page nos on my tablet?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 27, 2012 4:30:47 PM PDT
King Al says:
Do you have the latest update for the Android app? I believe it added page numbers.

Posted on Aug 28, 2012 2:30:25 PM PDT
J. Crawford says:
ZebraPal, I use a Kindle app for my Motorola Xoom. With the last update I now get page numbers and locations.

Hopefully this answer helps you because the responses I got to this question were just ridiculous! You would have thought I was asking for the moon, lol. Good luck and I hope an update helps you.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 28, 2012 2:51:48 PM PDT
ZebraPal says:
I updated yesterday and app shows page b

y

Posted on Aug 28, 2012 2:57:27 PM PDT
ZebraPal says:
Sorry partial post sent
updated yesterday, now app shows a grayed out option for page numbers _ but still no numbers(
they show up on iphone and macbook for this ebook) so i am still hopeful foe the future

Posted on Dec 7, 2012 9:36:19 PM PST
JP says:
I like having page numbers for one particular reason; in the "Go To" section where you can choose chapters you can see what page each chapter starts on. If I'm beginning to get tired or something it's good to see what page I'm on, reference when the next chapter starts and decide if I should push on or put it down based on how many pages are left.

I really don't understand anyone hassling the guy for asking a simple question. It was perfectly reasonable to consider it may be a setting that needed changing. All the demands for him to be flexible were ridiculous and foolish. Interesting place to troll.

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 12:18:44 AM PST
Craig H. says:
Also page numbers are extremely important for textbooks. I'm kind of ticked because I just spent $98 on a textbook and for whatever reason it doesn't have page numbers, which will make it extremely difficult to do the assigned readings.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 3:12:37 AM PST
"For whatever reason" is actually that the publisher didn't put them into the kindle edition. Complain to the publisher. Meanwhile, talk to your teacher/lecturer and ask them to indicate which sections are covered by the page numbers they've given for the readings.

Realistically, if you buy a textbook in a different edition (whether electronic or paper) to that recommended as the set text, you can expect the page numbers to be different anyway. Either buy the set edition or learn to adapt; it's really not that difficult.

(And yes, I *am* speaking from experience.)

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 5:17:16 AM PST
J. Gatie says:
Complaining to Amazon about formatting errors like missing page numbers is like complaining to Best Buy about the mastering on a CD you bought there. Just because Amazon sells you the content (or the device you play it on) does not mean they are to balme for every problem you encounter.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 4:01:03 PM PST
WWB says:
It would be very nice for students; when the instructor refers to page numbers for an assignment...

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 4:04:14 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 15, 2013 4:05:00 PM PST
Bixillarla says:
Wendy what happens when the publisher uses a different version than the one the professor/school recommends to get? You would have page numbers but they would not match up still.

Just because you get page numbers does not mean it will be the same as the recommended text. If you cannot adapt to the ebook version then stick with the normal book receommended for the course.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 25, 2013 11:32:55 AM PDT
D. Dripps says:
what about books that have physical forms, and physical page numbers in the hard copy form, but none on the kindle app? Makes following along in my class a bit hard

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 25, 2013 11:36:13 AM PDT
Them's the breaks.

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2013 10:17:59 AM PDT
I am using the electronic version of a textbook and need the page numbers for my citations :(
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Make a Homeschool- Friendly Kindle 2 3 minutes ago
Reformat Kindle? 26 16 minutes ago
We're Quirky And We Know It! Come Witness The Howling Dink, Hussy Turkey Hens, And A Veritable Plethora Of Other Beasts! So Geese! 5797 39 minutes ago
How to buy Chinese ebook from Amazon China 1 40 minutes ago
My kindle won't turn on 3325 44 minutes ago
My pc wont recognize my kindle fire hd using a usb connection. 103 48 minutes ago
Non-Techie New to E-Readers 8 51 minutes ago
Elephants Three at The Ģrandest Hotel - Part IV 4975 1 hour ago
Battery life for basic Kindle (am I doing something wrong 10 1 hour ago
Where can I get my Kindle fixed? 216 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  46
Total posts:  123
Initial post:  Mar 16, 2012
Latest post:  Feb 19, 2016

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions