Your Garage Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis DollyParton Shop Now
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle Fire - MOBI files showing up in Books and Docs

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 64 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 21, 2011 8:09:04 PM PST
jfallara says:
Does anyone know why some of my own .MOBI files show up in Books (as I would expect them too) while most of them show up in Docs? I used Calibre to look at the metadata and didn't see anything glaring me in the face as to why they were being sorted one way or the other.

I'm using a USB cable to load all the files into the "Books" directory on the Kindle Fire. But some of them still show up in Docs on the device itself.

Posted on Nov 21, 2011 8:12:44 PM PST
LynnL says:
There is a PDOC metatag that was recognized by the Kindle in the pre-Collection days. The opposite is the EBOK tag. The tools to change that flag may still be around, you would need to do some Googling on how to change it.

Posted on Nov 21, 2011 8:30:56 PM PST
Greg Wright says:
You already have the tool to change it. In calibre, go to preferences/output/mobi output, and either delete [pdoc], or change it to [ebok], then convert (even if it's already mobi). And bam! Books in the books tab.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2011 10:10:00 AM PST
he-guy says:
THANKS, WORKS GREAT!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2011 6:41:42 AM PST
Matt Ranlett says:
I had to delete the tag, but that totally did the trick. Thanks!

Posted on Dec 2, 2011 6:32:24 AM PST
Alex Ono says:
For the Amazon Kindle Touch; I recommend leaving the [pdoc] empty in Calibre... as this was the only way to get the .MOBI eBook files to be shown in the book tab or index.

Thanks for the recommendation!

Posted on Dec 3, 2011 6:12:21 PM PST
I used Calibre to convert to mobi and then sent to main memory of my fire, they are going to documents, which is no problem as I can move them to books folder..... but what are apx files, I see my book listed twice, one in mobi and one in apx. I moved the mobi to books, deleted the apx and everything is good........... just wondering?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2011 10:22:11 AM PST
This happened to me as well. I but .mobi books in the documents file and the books file on a Fire and they all appeared in the documents section.

Posted on Dec 26, 2011 11:27:51 PM PST
J Hebert says:
What is calibre, exactly, and where do I get it? I'm having the same problem and would love to fix it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2011 10:06:19 AM PST
F. Unger says:
It's an ebook conversion program.

http://calibre-ebook.com/

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2011 11:51:31 AM PST
Matt Ranlett says:
It's actually an ebook library management program. It's basically iTunes for ebooks. It has a metadata based management system, search, built in viewer, file system manager, duplicate finder, store finder, and more. It's pretty darn incredible for free software. Oh, and it can convert between formats for you.

Posted on Dec 27, 2011 3:28:33 PM PST
J Hebert says:
Can I download it to my Fire? Or is it just for computers?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2011 4:43:16 PM PST
Matt Ranlett says:
Just for computers. I think it works on PC & Mac

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2011 4:58:45 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 27, 2011 4:59:09 PM PST
ravager814 says:
Just downloaded to my Mac. It unpacks to a pretty sizable 210 megabytes, but I like the interface and the conversion works great.

EDIT: Also works on Linux...

Posted on Dec 27, 2011 10:16:16 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 27, 2011 10:16:34 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2011 10:17:23 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 27, 2011 10:18:10 PM PST]

Posted on Dec 28, 2011 1:05:51 AM PST
J Hebert says:
Thanks, I'll try it out.

Posted on Dec 28, 2011 9:09:31 AM PST
Ali B. says:
I've transferred my .MOBI files to my Kindle Fire via USB on my mac under both "Documents" and "Books". Nothing comes up though on the Kindle it self. Am I looking in the wrong place or transferring the wrong way? Any help out there?

Posted on Jan 2, 2012 4:57:51 PM PST
Wayne says:
A. E. Torres: Once the files have been copied over to the Kindle Fire, turn it off and turn it back on again. For some reason that seems to be the missing step in getting .mobi files to show up.

Once I figured out that was the missing step I have had no issues copying any of my .mobi files over.

Posted on Jan 2, 2012 7:43:25 PM PST
Wayne says:
Here you go.. how to get your .MOBI files onto the Kindle Fire and have them show up in the right place:

http://blackr0se76.livejournal.com/16376.html

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2012 11:15:53 PM PST
Can I use Calibre's "save to disk" option and simply save all of the .mobi files to my Kindle when I attach it?

Posted on Feb 15, 2012 6:33:33 AM PST
Afteer copying mobi files to my docs the kindle keeps freezing and forcing close. Now I'm not able to access my books either. Any suggestions, I already revolted twice.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2012 5:03:22 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 15, 2012 5:04:50 PM PST
ROBO says:
This worked perfect!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you so much!!! I was told to delete [pdoc] but it never worked. I tried for 3 days straight was about to just take the fire back (it was no use to me with out the MANY books I already had) added [ebok] worked great. Could not thank you enough (Greg Wright)!!!!!!!!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2012 10:14:25 AM PST
Robert Klemp says:
what is the solution????

Posted on Feb 26, 2012 9:17:38 AM PST
Becky Wright says:
Thank You Wayne for the link! I was going crazy trying to figure it out. Now, I'll have to put one of the EBOK on the keyboard Kindle to make sure it works there. Lord willing. But I have a lot of work ahead of me! Hard to believe I have So many mobi file books! Thanks again
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
86th RAoK - Let the Games Begin 4337 2 minutes ago
Managing Bookmarks with Files and Folders in Silk 3 2 minutes ago
What movie formats does kindle fire support? 116 12 minutes ago
Page Numbers vs. Locations = Decision to Buy Kindle or Not 1898 14 minutes ago
August 2016--Informal Poll--What are you reading? 133 17 minutes ago
KINDLE KITCHEN #6: A place for sharing, caring, chat and FUN! 56 18 minutes ago
We're Quirky And We Know It! Come Witness The Howling Dink, Hussy Turkey Hens, And A Veritable Plethora Of Other Beasts! So Geese! 5588 19 minutes ago
Cannot deliver to selected device 24 20 minutes ago
Do not disturb can't be toggled from kindle fire quick settings 2 24 minutes ago
I have first ever kindle empty battery showing but it won't charge 2 27 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  46
Total posts:  64
Initial post:  Nov 21, 2011
Latest post:  Mar 28, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 26 customers

Search Customer Discussions