Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now STEMClub17_gno
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Text to Speech for iPhone Kindle App

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 207 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 23, 2012, 10:58:19 AM PDT
I have been using the iPhone Kindle app for awhile now. It sure would be great if it had text to speech capability. Not only would it be good for users, but I believe Amazon would sell more Kindle books, because people would be getting through a book faster with it being read to them while driving.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2012, 11:00:44 AM PDT
As far as I know, none of the apps support TTS.

Posted on Mar 23, 2012, 11:04:38 AM PDT
The Authors' Guild opposed TTS because it supposedly infringes on their audio book rights and potentially leads to illegal "public performances" by connecting an ereader, etc., to a sound system in a theater. I'm not making this stuff up.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2012, 11:14:32 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 23, 2012, 11:18:30 AM PDT
Warning : personal opinion follows.

To this day I still don't understand the wide appeal of TTS. It's not an audiobook being professionally read, with inflection and 'life' to the text. It's not even a drab public domain reading. It's a computer synthesized voice, which doesn't know what it's reading, has to guess at pronunciation, and can't even begin to put proper beats and timing into a read.

Yes, it has come a long way (a VERY long way) since the early days of computer speech synth programs, and I am impressed at how much it is able to do. But it's still a far cry from what I would consider an acceptable substitute for either a human recording or me reading to myself.

I find that I spend far too much time trying to 'reconstruct' how the original text most likely read to keep immersed in the story. Even if pronunciation were 100% perfect, the pacing and rhythm makes it impossible for me to lose myself in the book, even in cases where it's a re-read for me and I already know the story.

But then again I hate the music of The Beatles, loved David Lynch's version of "Dune", and never cared for the taste of bacon, so ...

It's clear many do use and enjoy TTS, so it's another case of "I guess it's just me" on this.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2012, 11:17:58 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2012, 11:19:27 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2012, 11:26:49 AM PDT
quilt lover says:

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2012, 11:28:28 AM PDT
The only use I have for TTS is to turn pages while I'm eating or knitting...

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2012, 11:30:16 AM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2012, 11:31:50 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Mar 23, 2012, 11:58:53 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2012, 11:37:28 AM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2012, 11:43:58 AM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2012, 11:47:24 AM PDT
>"She probably got into an accident and is suing Amazon for selling her a product which encouraged her to read while driving."

"Your Honor, clearly if Amazon hadn't been so greedy as to disable TTS on my client's device she would not have felt the need to take her eyes off the road. This is nothing more than a case where corporate greed (trying to increase sales of audiobooks) resulted in tragedy."

Posted on Mar 26, 2012, 9:53:39 AM PDT
Obviously, TTS is not for anybody. To those who say TTS can't substitute a human performance, I am grateful, as I am a voice professional (28 years).

That said, there is a time and place (like while driving) where it is tremendously helpful. Especially when human-recorded editions don't exist.

Like all technology, it's not for everybody, but there are plenty enough who want it and it should be there as a choice.

Further, if I get through a book at a faster rate (utilizing time listening, like while driving), wouldn't that mean that I need to get a new book sooner? Hence, Amazon would actually sell more books.

BTW -- an excellent TTS app for iPhone/iPod/iPad is Future App's Speak It! Unfortunately, the only way you can use it is by copying and pasting text into their app.

Mark

In reply to an earlier post on May 26, 2012, 2:44:12 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 26, 2012, 2:44:27 PM PDT
i too prefer a human performace and purchase many audio books. I have used the TTS is for books that are not available in audio version especially when the 4th and 5th so annoying

In reply to an earlier post on May 26, 2012, 2:59:04 PM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:

Posted on Jul 4, 2012, 12:56:41 PM PDT
I like a human performance when I can give it more or less my undivided attention but prefer TTS while driving. Although imperfect, I find TTS easier to follow while I'm multitasking -- probably because the voice is so consistent. I'm sure it's either a love it or hate it thing but I'm getting pretty close to love and would definitely buy more Kindle books if there was some way to do TTS. Voice commands would be extremely helpful too -- like highlight last paragraph. I spend an hour a day behind the wheel and am always looking for a more productive alternative to talk radio!

As a compromise to the whole performance thing, I would be willing to accept a "combo" audio and text purchase where the text is read by a human -- especially if the voice command function I mentioned is there. But I have to say, even with that, I would usually prefer TTS -- maybe TTS would be permisable if we already are paying for the performance... Choice is always good.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 10, 2012, 12:36:01 PM PDT
ReviewThis says:
Ridiculous! It is a completely different experience, go figure. Ty for ur post.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 10, 2012, 12:38:53 PM PDT
ReviewThis says:
It does take an adjustment... but being on the go I like to flip to tts when I'm driving or v tired, then back to the book when I've got time. I get through more books this way. I'm a fan, but I know many just can't get past it. Personal preference.

Posted on Jul 20, 2012, 3:47:47 AM PDT
Dev says:
is this a joke? why are all Internet forums like this? the question was not "what do you think of text to speech?" the question was "is it possible to get text to speech in the kindle app for iPhone?" I'm sorry, but I could not care any less about your opinions on text to speech. I love it and I would love an answer to the question. why can't people on the Internet just stay focused on any topic?

Posted on Jul 20, 2012, 3:48:09 AM PDT
Dev says:
is this a joke? why are all Internet forums like this? the question was not "what do you think of text to speech?" the question was "is it possible to get text to speech in the kindle app for iPhone?" I'm sorry, but I could not care any less about your opinions on text to speech. I love it and I would love an answer to the question. why can't people on the Internet just stay focused on any topic?

Posted on Jul 20, 2012, 3:48:10 AM PDT
Dev says:

Posted on Jul 20, 2012, 3:48:11 AM PDT
Dev says:

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 20, 2012, 5:41:57 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 20, 2012, 5:42:30 AM PDT
Why should Amazon pay to put tts on an app that you get for free? (Is that focused enough for you?)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 24, 2012, 1:06:44 PM PDT
Mark says:
Really, how? That's why I started this discussion months ago.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Unable to Setup Yahoo E-mail on Kindle Fire HD 45 59 seconds ago
Amazon Echo (Part 2) 570 1 minute ago
We're Quirky! There Are Various Critters, Including Tail-less Manx Kittens, Here. We Also Have Hugh Manatee. Bring Your Quilting And Sewing Projects, Your Camera, And Your Instant Pot. So Geese And Tally Ho! 2314 4 minutes ago
Amazon Echo (Alexa) bass and treble settings 1 13 minutes ago
Page Numbers of Actual Book 15 18 minutes ago
87th RAOK Let the winter fun begin! 9529 20 minutes ago
How do you edit an email contact on the Kindle Fire? 13 29 minutes ago
SwagBucks Thread 2016 2268 30 minutes ago
KINDLE KITCHEN #6: A place for sharing, caring, chat and FUN! 7788 31 minutes ago
Dragi's Croatian Crab Shack and Wine Bar - The Answers Are Blowing In The Wind 5544 34 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  96
Total posts:  207
Initial post:  Mar 23, 2012
Latest post:  Feb 14, 2017

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 20 customers