Your Garage Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Discover it  Reckless Kelly iPhone 7 CM4 Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Halloween Amazon Cash Back Offer Author Author Author  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 All-New Kindle for Kids Edition Emmys GNO Shop Now STEM
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Lost My Kindle

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-18 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 30, 2012 12:34:39 PM PDT
maozamom says:
I set my Kindle Keyboard down and forgot it and somebody had taken it when I went back. It feels like I lost a loved and trusted friend.

I'm just venting here because I know many of you will understand how I feel.

Posted on Sep 30, 2012 12:39:52 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 30, 2012 12:41:41 PM PDT
In2books says:
If you haven't you need to deregister it from your account. Go to Mange Your Kindle. You can also contact customer service They can blacklist it from being registered again. If you find it, they can take it off the list. sorry for your loss.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2012 12:41:43 PM PDT
 nospin  says:
I am sorry for your loss.

(You do know this gives you the perfect excuse to order a Paperwhite)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2012 12:42:19 PM PDT
Just Peachy says:
OH no!

I agree with Nospin, order a Paperwhite.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2012 12:46:49 PM PDT
nluvk3 says:
Bummer :(

Might there be a "lost and found" where you were? Last weekend I laid my iPhone down at a store, day before I was to fly out of state for four days for work. Couldn't remember which of the two places I'd last recall having it in my hand. Second place I went back to someone had turned it in, thank goodness. Would have been very sad, to say nothing of how difficult the trip would have been unable to touch base with coworkers/travelers regarding plans etc.

I hope you find your kindle. I would hate to lose mine. Good luck.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2012 12:48:06 PM PDT
Sorry to hear it. Hopefully it will make its way back to you.

Posted on Sep 30, 2012 2:28:28 PM PDT
maozamom says:
Sad to say that it wasn't turned in. My phone number is on it if they wanted to return it but an honest person would have taken it to the desk right away. I deregistered it as soon as I came home. It's nice of Amazon for making that so easy to do. I had hundreds of books on it, including three of the bargain classics from yesterday, so they'd be foolish to ever change the account.

Paperwhite sounds really good and I have lots of points on my credit card to pay for it. In the mean time I have a Kindle Fire to read on , though I don't like reading on a back lit device at night.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2012 2:34:18 PM PDT
Grimlock says:
I'm a little late to say so, but sorry to hear about your loss, and that no one turned the Kindle in. I'll cross my fingers that someone does turn it in, or it does get found somehow, even if the chances seem slim.

Posted on Sep 30, 2012 2:35:29 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 30, 2012 2:36:28 PM PDT
lcook0825 says:
A good story. My wife and I had gone on a 12 day tour of Ireland with some friends. I needed a restroom and the tour guide stopped at a combination gas station/gift store in the country side. I left my IPhone in the bathroom at the gas station and didn't realize it for about 3 or hours. In the meantime the gas station had found the phone and called my daughter here in New York. The tour guide was able to get in touch with the fellow and he met us in Dublin three days later and returned my phone. It wasn't the phone so much as all the info and contacts on it. I gladly gave the chap a bottle of wine for his help.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2012 2:57:20 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Sep 30, 2012 2:58:06 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2012 5:50:13 AM PDT
Grimlock says:
I don't think my brother got anything, but its the same way he found an owner of a list iPhone he found.

Posted on Oct 29, 2012 10:27:35 PM PDT
ReviewMan says:
I lost mine too. I think I left it in Rouge Hotel in Sedona, but it might have been the gym in Vegas. Well, for now I am reading off the IPad. Paperwhite is a 6 week wait!

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 10:34:01 PM PST
I've lost mine in my own house. :/ I think it was on the couch and it MIGHT have been thrown away when my son cleaned off the couch, but I can't be sure. That was 3 months ago. We've turned the house just upside down. No kindle. :( I don't know if I deregister it IF it got thrown away if someone can then use it?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 10:50:21 PM PST
KessaJo says:
=(

Posted on May 24, 2013 8:24:30 AM PDT
The master says:
I lost mine too...I feel incomplete without it...:(

Posted on May 5, 2014 2:36:02 PM PDT
Lynn says:
I just left my paper white on the plane today. Emailed the airline and hope they have it.
It was a present and AAARRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH.
I make at least 4 flights a month for years and this is the flight time I couldn't be bothered to check my seat pocket before leaving.
Only myself to blame but still, I feel like I lost a close friend.

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2014 2:37:34 PM PDT
Standard advice for lost/stolen Kindles:

You want to deregister your device first and foremost to prevent someone from purchasing items with your account.

Immediately go to your 'Manage Your Content and Devices' page:
http://amazon.com/manageyourkindle

Scroll down the left-side menu and select 'Manage Your Devices'
Find the Kindle that is lost/stolen.
**BE SURE TO WRITE DOWN THE SERIAL NUMBER OF THE DEVICE, FOR FUTURE REFERENCE**
Then click 'Deregister'

** You will need that serial number when you contact Customer Support, and to identify your device from a Lost & Found, and also it will be needed if you file a police report or file an insurance claim to your homeowners or rental insurance policy.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then, contact Customer Service and report the loss/theft. Amazon cannot help you locate your Kindle, but they will use the serial number to block the device from being registered in the future by someone else. Do this soon, because if the person who might now have your Kindle already registered it to their own Amazon account, it cannot be blocked from registering at your request any longer.

If you find your Kindle later, contact Customer Service again to reverse the process. To contact CS, click the orange 'Contact Us' button on the right side of this page, or use this link:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/help/contact-us/kindle-help.html

Don't use the email option, but use the Phone option (if available from your location) or Chat option. By using the Phone option, after you send your phone number in, an Amazon Representative will call you back in a minute or two, sometimes sooner.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have Active Subscriptions:
You will also want to make sure that you cancel any active subscriptions. Canceling the subscription will ensure that you are no longer billed; you'll also receive a pro-rated refund for remaining issues you already paid for. You always have the option of subscribing at a later date.

Go to your 'Manage Your Kindle' page:
http://amazon.com/manageyourkindle

Then, scroll down the left-side menu and select 'Subscription Settings'
For each subscription you have, use the 'Actions' button to the right of the title and select 'Cancel Subscription'.

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2014 10:26:22 AM PDT
You have our condolences. :0/ The loss of a Kindle is always rough.

BUT HEY! Does this mean you might get to buy a NEW one?!?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  16
Total posts:  18
Initial post:  Sep 30, 2012
Latest post:  May 6, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers