Your Garage Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now STEM
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle Fire HD Charging Problem

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 73 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 23, 2012 5:39:53 PM PDT
I purchased a Kindle Fire HD last week and noticed that there were issues charging, especially when downloading content onto my device. I called Amazon and they promptly sent a new one. The issue is that the charging issue still occurs, again, while downloading device. Is this a normal occurrence? Was I supposed to fully charge it before starting to download material? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posted on Sep 23, 2012 5:41:47 PM PDT
Are you using the USB charger or did you get the A/C charger? I'd have to brush up on my USB tech knowledge, but it may be that charging is slower when you are also using the USB cable to transfer data simultaneously.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2012 5:42:48 PM PDT
 nospin  says:
You should fully charge it before doing anything except registering it.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2012 5:43:18 PM PDT
I'm using the USB charger that was included in the package and plugging it into a USB/AC wall adapter, like the one below:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015DYMVO/ref=wms_ohs_product

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2012 5:46:30 PM PDT
 nospin  says:
The voltage varies on the usb chargers.
If you make sure it is rated for the ipad you are good.

Posted on Sep 23, 2012 5:49:53 PM PDT
OK. So you are charging with that Belkin charger and downloading over WiFi?

I looked at the specs on the Belkin charger and it only puts out 0.5 amps. That's not really sufficient to charge the device while simultaneously using it. You'll need at least 1.8 amps (guessing) to do that.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2012 5:52:34 PM PDT
Ah, that could explain the difference. I'll plug it into the wall outlet itself and see how it works.

Many thanks!!

Posted on Sep 23, 2012 5:56:43 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 23, 2012 5:57:06 PM PDT
Arual says:
As there is no light on the On switch, is there a way to tell when the HD is fully charged other than going to the Settings screen?

Posted on Sep 23, 2012 8:45:03 PM PDT
jpot says:
Don't think so and yea the charging problem is something most people will experience since Amazon for some reason did not include a charger that would charge a tablet.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2012 5:35:11 AM PDT
jsh1120 says:
Arual,

The visible charge indicator light does not exist on the new KFHD. As a workaround to provide a somewhat more convenient way to determine the state of the charge, I recommend downloading "Battery HD" from the Amazon Appstore. When the KFHD is charging swiping the lock screen will give you a full page picture of the state of the charging process.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2012 7:15:12 AM PDT
Cix says:
That charger is ok for a phone, but not a tablet. You will need to get a charger that puts out 1.8 amps. Like this one: Amazon Kindle PowerFast for Accelerated Charging (not included with device, for use with the new Kindle Fire or Kindle Fire HD models)

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 10:20:40 AM PST
Thank so much for this discussion. It takes a long time to charge via the USB so thankfully, I bought the Amazon Kindle PowerFast for Accelerated Charging (not included with device, for use with the new Kindle Fire or Kindle Fire HD models). This is my mother's Kindle Fire and she doesn't go on the computer so the charger will help immensely. Only wish I was aware that it didn't come with an AC/DC charger when purchasing.

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 3:23:22 PM PST
My Kindle Fire will not charge. I have tried the wall charger and a car charger (both of which work well with my phone), and plugging it into my computer.
Please send suggestions!! My computer does not recognize that the kindle is plugged in.
I can't retrieve my data or photos that are stored on the kindle

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 3:59:43 PM PST
@Mary Jo: Try performing a hard reset on your Kindle Fire. Unplug the Fire from all power sources and then press and hold the power button for 20 seconds (count them slowly) and then release. Ignore any shutdown messages. After the device has completely turned off, press the power button to restart your Kindle Fire.

If that does not help, then I think that you need to use the large orange Contact Us button to the right to talk with Amazon Kindle CS and talk with them about it - use the live chat or the call back feature if you can, not email. If you can't see a Contact Us button on this page, then go to https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/contact-us/kindle-help.html and contact CS. I advise using Live Chat or the Call Me Back feature and not email, as they will have your account details available to them immediately when you talk with them.

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 5:27:03 PM PST
Thanks!

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 9:50:54 PM PST
I bought a fast-charger but it failed after three charges. Amazon refunded and because we are traveling abroad, relying on USB charging from my MacBook. Works in this mode but slow and charge indicator doesn't always lett you know. Downloading BatteryHD as advised.

Posted on Nov 24, 2012 9:28:16 AM PST
Just bought my new Kindle Fire HD and everything was going fine with charging (using USB that came with my Kindle because I didn't know I needed the other faster charger until after I ordered) until I got impatient and decided to check out what Amazon Prime was all about and download a book a a TV show to watch. After that, the Kindle refuses to charge. It doesn't recognize that it is plugged in to charge and the battery is now "red" so almost out of juice. I contacted customer support and they will be sending me another USB cable but I wonder if not fully charging the first time was the culprit or if there is some defect? Anyone have some ideas? For such a wonderful device, you'd think Amazon would have included an appropriate charger!

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 3:36:38 AM PST
The email app is not receiving any emails from my account. It used to do this for several weeks and it stopped all of a sudden. I can extract emails from my linux pc without any problems. I can send emails using the kindle hd email app fine. Any ideas what the problem is?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2012 6:35:42 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 4, 2012 6:36:07 AM PST
jsh1120 says:
ItalaMex Mom27,

If you have another wall charger that can be connected to the KFHD, try it. I have six chargers in my home that all charge the KFHD. If not, get one. The one below works as well as the FastCharger from Amazon at half the price (as will any charger with a minimum of 5V/1.8Amp output.) In the meantime, plug in the KFHD to your PC on a POWERED usb port and be sure the PC does not go to sleep while it's charging the KF.

Leave it alone for at least 8 hours. Then disconnect it from the charger and reboot it. Hold the power button for at least 30 seconds and then press the power button again.

It's very unlikely that the problem is your usb cable. Just get an appropriate wall charger or use one you already have.

POWERGEN Dual USB Wall Charger, 12-Watt, White

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 8:32:38 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 4, 2012 8:55:40 AM PST
Gashi says:
Just bought a kindle fire hd for my wife. It is being recognized as having a usb plugged in, but won't charge. I downloaded a battery app, but it simply says to charge the battery. Then I plugged into my computer, and it says that it is plugged in, I can look at files and such on the Kindle, but no charging at all.

EDIT
Never mind. Found an old Zune charger to plug into it and it is charging now. Thanks for all of the information on here, it helped to keep me looking!

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 12:41:03 PM PST
I have the charger for the old Kindle Fire, will that work with my new Kindle Fire HD 8.9?

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 10:00:53 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2012 10:02:25 PM PST
MED says:
Will the kindle charger that came with the original kindle work with the kindle fire hd it's a 4.9v .85 amps

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 2:37:44 PM PST
bib says:
My husband purchased a Kindle Fire HD for me for Christmas and I am also having problems with charging it. When I plug it in with the cable that came with it, the battery is green like it is charging, but when I unplug it it has not charged at all. Seems like with as much money as he paid for it, you should be able to get it to charge. I tried charging all day and still no results.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 4:55:01 PM PST
jsh1120 says:
Lazlo and Mary,

Yes, the first generation KF charger will work for the second generation devices. However, I would add just one caution. The first gen KF combo charger/cable has been problematic for many users. There are numerous reports of overheating, failure, and even melting! If your charger has worked well, feel free to use it. But keep an eye on it. There's lots of circumstantial evidence that it may be the cause of deforming or overheating the microUSB port on the first generation devices.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 5:05:13 PM PST
jsh1120 says:
bb,

Do yourself a favor. First, do not try to charge the KFHD with your PC. Use a wall charger designed to provide sufficient current to charge the device. If you use a PC its port may turn off if the PC goes to sleep. And if you're trying to use the device while it's charging you may be trying to fill a bucket with a small hose and a hole in the bucket. The FastCharger from Amazon works quite well. But so will any wall charger that provides 5V/1.8amps power such as the one below.

Second, download "Battery HD" from the Amazon Appstore (Battery HD Pro if you have an 8.9" model. The $2 is well worth it.) It will provide you with far more detailed information about the state of the charge process on your KFHD (and even announce when it's fully charged if you like.) Further, it will enable you to "calibrate" the battery monitor, assuring accurate information about the state of the charge on your device.

PowerGen Dual Port USB 2.1A 10W AC Travel Wall Charger for Apple iPad 2, New iPad 3, Amazon Kindle, Kindle DX, Kindle Fire / Noble Nook Color / HTC Flyer / Samsung Galaxy Tab Series (USB Cable not included) - White

Battery HD
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  46
Total posts:  73
Initial post:  Sep 23, 2012
Latest post:  Jul 7, 2016

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 21 customers

Search Customer Discussions