Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis hots Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Difference Between Kindle 4th Gen & 5th Gen?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-20 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 6, 2012, 1:35:58 PM PDT
I have the 4th generation Kindle and I was wondering if it would be worth it to upgrade to the 5th generation. Probably not!

Posted on Sep 6, 2012, 1:47:21 PM PDT
Jesse says:
I am also trying to figure this one out. I can't find anything that really sits down and compares them. Best I've found is http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/06/amazon-announces-69-dollar-kindle-shipping-on-september-14th/ but that one's also very unsatisfactory in coverage.

I'm trying to figure out whether the contrast improvement is enough such that it'd be worthwhile to return my K4 that I received two weeks ago. Somebady halp!

Wish there was a paperwhite non-Touch. =\

Posted on Sep 6, 2012, 2:01:50 PM PDT
Which one are you calling 5th generation? The Touch runs the 5 version of the OS, and the Fire (original) runs 6, so I'd have to say the Paperwhite is either 7th or 8th generation.

Paperwhite
pros: built-in light, longer battery life, faster processor, higher resolution, whiter page (better contract), cleaner fonts, more features like the "time to read" estimate.
cons: no audio, less memory (2G vs 4G)

Posted on Sep 6, 2012, 2:21:31 PM PDT
Jesse says:
If Eric and I are on the same page, the $69 Kindle is the one that we arbitrarily refer to as the 5th generation.

There are some purported upgrades over the original K4 in the link I posted but without any substantial detail.

It also looks more black; I'm feelin' the dark grey of the older one more ><

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012, 8:15:03 AM PST
Sam Condon says:
I ordered something called the Kindle 5th Generation on Ebay that advertised a "touch screen," for $99. I thought it must be the Kindle Touch, which was discontinued but that had good reviews, but now looking at the picture it looks exactly like the device that Amazon sells as the basic Kindle for $69. I contacted the seller about this, a guy called "buyspry" and he just said this was the "newer one." I don't see a newer one advertised except for the PaperWhites, and I know this isn't that. So, did this guy overcharge me by $30? I asked him to cancel the order, but he sent it anyway and eBay says I have to wait for it to arrive because submitting a case, but this nomenclature is very confusing.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012, 8:22:21 AM PST
Amazon has specific names for them. The smallest, lightest, simplest one is called the Kindle Basic. The Touch is of course, the Touch. The Keyboard is the Keyboard. The PaperWhite is the PaperWhite.

If it's NOT the Touch, then yes, he overcharged you.

Posted on Nov 5, 2012, 8:22:21 AM PST
ink says:
I would not lump in the Kindle Fire or HD as they are tablets and not Kindles. So I would leave them as their own product and own generation, i.e. Kindle Fire 1st gen, HD 2nd gen. And then have the Kindles on their own, which I think would be:

Kindle
Kindle 2
Kindle 3 (Kindle Keyboard)
Kindle Touch
Kindle PW

At least that's how I see it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012, 8:50:48 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 5, 2012, 8:51:03 AM PST
You missed the basic Kindle which came out at the same time as the Kindle Touch. The confusing thing is that it's simply called "Kindle". I would revise your list as follows:

Kindle 1
Kindle 2
Kindle 3 (Kindle Keyboard)
Kindle
Kindle Touch
Kindle Paperwhite

Posted on Nov 5, 2012, 10:05:35 AM PST
R. D. Clark says:
The Kindle 1, 2, and 3 were never called that by Amazon. They have always just been the Kindle (sometimes with "newest generation" appended to the name). It was users who added the numbers. The K3 was renamed "Kindle Keyboard" when the new Kindle (the one that many call the "Basic") took over the name "Kindle."

One thing that's always been true: "The Kindle" is the current cheapest e-ink model. More expensive models will always have an official name (Touch, DX, Keyboard, Fire, PaperWhite) to distinguish them from The Kindle.

Interestingly, the Paperwhite's firmware is 5.2.0, which makes it a variant of the Kindle Touch.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012, 10:08:18 AM PST
"Interestingly, the Paperwhite's firmware is 5.2.0, which makes it a variant of the Kindle Touch. "

That is interesting.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012, 7:56:13 PM PST
EarthGirl says:
"It also looks more black;" K 5 has both black or graphite (grey) colors. :) but am checking other differences if any -the price has not changed so that's an indicator!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012, 7:57:43 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 15, 2012, 9:33:09 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012, 8:38:13 PM PST
EarthGirl says:
Amazon clarify the issue as they compare only 3 current e-readers in the kindle family - Paperwhite- 2 models: touch screen only but with a 3g model ; the kindle of the day (currently nicknamed Gen 5 (in black or graphite (grey) colors -no touch and wifi only ie no 3g model; and the kindle keyboard a 3G model. All 3 are different sizes and weights and capacity.
Amazon appears to be selling only 4 models,but older (2011) kindles: with nicknames: K4; K-Touch; and K-Touch_3G, that are the same size (I think) as the "basic" Kindle are available new and used elsewhere.

It is unclear to me whether the product info has changed since introduction of the black version. For eg are 'real page numbers' on the model released 2011 known as the lightest and Gen 4?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012, 8:40:09 PM PST
EarthGirl says:
It appears the only current "touch" is the Paperwhite!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012, 8:48:16 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 15, 2012, 9:34:48 PM PST
EarthGirl says:
yes if it is a 5th gen then it is a new version basic model not a touch which is only available as the paperwhite. Amazon have only 4 models currently for sale 2 x Paperwhite both touch-screen, one model with 3G; the Kindle- a basic - (nicknamed 5th Gen) and the Keyboard model with 3G. The Ebay version is probably the Kindle Touch known as Gen 4 if not a Paperwhite. It does not have the side buttons like the "Basic " Kindle. The older K-Touch also had a 4Gb capacity, whereas Kindle basic was 2 Gb

Posted on Jun 12, 2015, 5:03:56 PM PDT
Kellie says:
HI can anyone assist in the difference between the fire hdx 3rd and 4th generation - purchasing from Australia so need to get it right!!!!

Posted on Nov 8, 2015, 11:39:44 AM PST
diane conn says:
I have kindle fire hdx8.9 touch screen WIL I upgrade If I buy kindle fire HD 10.1 OR should I keep what I have CAN I get the updates on my tablet please answer

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2015, 11:44:34 AM PST
flipoid says:
What updates? The screen resolution on the new HD 10.1 is not as good as on the HDX.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 26, 2016, 8:38:19 PM PDT
I just read $99 one has 16GBP
Vs $69 one with 8gb

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 26, 2016, 8:56:59 PM PDT
CBRetriever says:
and the post you are replying to is in reference to the 2012 model sand not the Fires. The models they're talking about only had either 2 GB or 4GB depending on which model (likely the 1st Paperwhite and the Basic Kindle which only came in a 2GB model)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Elephants Three at The Ģrandest Hotel - Part IV 6326 2 minutes ago
How do I search the Kindle Forum for the topic I am interested in? 3 3 minutes ago
Buying a book after reading a sample 43 11 minutes ago
duplicate devices showing in Manage my Devices 3 22 minutes ago
KINDLE KITCHEN #6: A place for sharing, caring, chat and FUN! 8513 22 minutes ago
Can't open books on my Kindle! 17 27 minutes ago
ebook return policy 550 52 minutes ago
Blocking explicit songs on Prime Music 413 53 minutes ago
Amazon Prime For Hawaii and Alaska?????? 328 55 minutes ago
Will a Fire 7 work in India? 1 56 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  14
Total posts:  20
Initial post:  Sep 6, 2012
Latest post:  Aug 26, 2016

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers