Your Garage Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Amazon's Choice Computers Limited time offer Luxury Beauty Handmade Mother's Day Gifts Book House Cleaning DrWho DrWho DrWho  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Suggestions for Kindle features

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 747 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 27, 2011, 12:53:32 PM PDT
I would like to see three versions of the Kindle:

1) one with a black and white display that is able to display full 8 1/2" X 11" documents, which can be read outdoors in sunlight.

2) one with a color display that is able to display in full size, 8 1/2" x 11" documents, comic books, etc.

3) one with a smaller black and white display that is able to display in full size standard paperback books which can be read outdoors in sunlight.

All three versions should be able to handle files in various standard and office document formats such as EPub, PDF, DOC, ODF, and others.

The larger version should also be able to comfortably:

a) display graphic and picture heavy technical and reference books, newspapers, magazines, and possibly even blueprints.

b) display in landscape mode for things like say the top half of a newspaper page.

c) come with the ability to use removable storage media and import files without using an internet connection and web.

I want the ability to go in and purchase, say for example the 500 greatest books, on one media device and use it. I want the ability to have two separate libraries on two separate devices, a work/school reference library and a personal recreational library, that I can swap whenever I wish. I want the ability to bring in, on a separate removable storage device, third party documents from work or school or wherever and be able to use them.

d) handle files in various standard and office document formats such as EPub, PDF, DOC, ODF, and others.

It would be nice if the larger version could also seamlessly work with bible reference and study software.

Posted on Aug 27, 2011, 1:36:35 PM PDT
I just want to be able to read a book on my Kindle. Oh, wait, I can.

Posted on Aug 27, 2011, 1:42:07 PM PDT
Anonymous says:
I'd like to be able to rename documents on my Kindle.

Posted on Aug 27, 2011, 1:42:27 PM PDT
Luanne H says:
I would like a "forward" button that functions like the "back" button.

Posted on Aug 27, 2011, 1:59:17 PM PDT
I suggest you all send your suggestions to kindle-feedback@amazon.com :)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 27, 2011, 3:28:58 PM PDT
Are you aware that you can easily do that with Calibre?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 27, 2011, 3:51:03 PM PDT
Anonymous says:
I wasn't, so thank you. Though I'd like also to be able to rename documents while on Kindle.

Posted on Aug 27, 2011, 3:52:57 PM PDT
H. Wink says:
Is there a way to lock or hide a book? I would like to be able to loan my kindle to my kids without them being able to access any of my books that may not be age appropriate for them.

Posted on Aug 27, 2011, 4:11:16 PM PDT
nigel p bird says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 27, 2011, 4:14:27 PM PDT
PC Johnson: sorry, but you really don't want a Kindle at all; you want a laptop or possibly an iPad.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 28, 2011, 12:51:07 AM PDT
Denis Powell says:
@ H Wink

If you copy to a folder on your PC any books you don't want your children to read you can then delete them from the Kindle and your Amazon Archive, transfering them back as and when you wish. The danger with that is that should you have to replace your Kindle you'd have to buy the those particular books again, as the files are coded to individual devices. If those books can be purchased from other websites such as fictionwise, they maintain an archive for you so that you can download again if you need to, in the same way as Amazon does, and so a simple delete from the Kindle itself will stop your children being able to access the books.

Posted on Aug 28, 2011, 8:34:28 AM PDT
I'd like more options with collections, perhaps subfolders.

Posted on Aug 28, 2011, 8:56:41 AM PDT
A. Sisk says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Aug 28, 2011, 9:03:50 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 28, 2011, 9:04:31 AM PDT
Wolfy says:
I think some of your suggestions are great, but you're speaking to the choir. I think every user would like to change at least one thing about their Kindle, but I doubt you will be able to affect a change by vocalizing your opinion here. There is no perfect ereader currently. I like the new nook's construction, but the service and the way it handles margin space is really a turn off. Probably less than 15 days until the new Kindle is unveiled. Can't wait to see what they came up with.

Posted on Aug 28, 2011, 9:25:16 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 28, 2011, 9:26:25 AM PDT
I'd love a pair of zoom in/out buttons on the side of the Kindle above the page turn buttons for web browsing and kindle store browsing. And maybe some audio buttons with a mute button too. The current audio play/stop interface is bad.

Posted on Aug 28, 2011, 10:23:30 AM PDT
Dan Hamilton says:
Ill add one: Facebook & twitter integration, sync notes and highlights to web. Maybe that's 2

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2011, 12:49:54 PM PDT
Thank you. I am now checking it out.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2011, 6:18:23 PM PDT
F J McGill says:
That would be a great idea, it could be *greyed* out like software or applications that are not accessible for one reason or another. The user would get a message like " Access DENIED" or more gentle " you don't have permission to access this book"

Posted on Aug 29, 2011, 6:57:25 PM PDT
Steve Thomas says:
Instead of a separate book light, I'd like the ability to turn on a backlight for the screen as needed.

I'd also like the ability to buy MP3s and play them, all without hooking up to the PC. It would be nice to be able to start the music playing without having to close the book I'm in, and then go back to the book after the music starts. And it would be nice to be able to put the music on auto-repeat so that after the last MP3 has played, it starts over with the first one again.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2011, 7:28:10 PM PDT
S. Kessler says:
E-ink can't be backlit. An LCD screen is backlit by definition, of course.

Posted on Aug 29, 2011, 7:29:03 PM PDT
C. S. Jones says:
Use alt + space bar to start and stop the background music. You don't have to exit the book (my cat like to play with turning it on and off).

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2011, 7:30:09 PM PDT
You should then buy a tablet, Harl Delos.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2011, 7:58:04 PM PDT
Steve Thomas says:
E-ink uses a microcapsule with white and black particles that are charged with different polarities, and the pixel turns from white to grey to black depending on which particles go to the top, and which particles go to the bottom, of a clear medium.

It's not true backlighting, of course; it's more "mid-lighting", but if the clear liquid were made to fluoresce, it would appear to users as if it were backlit. Does e-ink make such screens for sale at present? No.

Do they have them under development? I don't know - but they're bright folks, and I'm sure they're trying to figure out how to produce such screens.

C.S., I can use the alt + space bar to stop and restart background music, but once it's through, it's necessary to go to the experimental menu to start it playing again.

Coleen, an iPad weighs 3 times as much as a Kindle. I don't want a broken nose should I fall asleep while reading in bed.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2011, 8:06:23 PM PDT
"but if the clear liquid were made to fluoresce, it would appear to users as if it were backlit." And as soon as they do that, I (and I suspect a few others) will no longer be interested. I do not want something backlit. I do not want it to LOOK backlit. If you want something backlit, there are plenty of choices. There's no need for everything to be.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2011, 8:47:09 PM PDT
Steve Thomas says:
Which part of "the ability to turn on a backlight for the screen as needed" do you not understand?

I've been driving cars for 50 years that had Park-Reverse-Neutral-Drive-Second-Low and I have *never* had an occasion to use second gear. I assume that it might be useful to those who live in mountainous country. I never saw it as a problem that the manufacturer made that option available. I just ignored it.

Similarly, I've assumed that most people who prefer to carry around a big clumsy flashlight in order to read in the dark are quite capable of ignoring the feature if offered, instead of switching to another product. Perhaps I'm overestimating their intelligence.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 30 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Identifying kindle book codes 18 1 minute ago
We're Quirky And Proud Of It! Join Grace The Bichon, Mighty Mouse, Snapper, Wookie The Hound, Pear Eating Turkeys, Cats Playing Ice Cube Soccer And A Herd Of Giraffes! No Rude Big Goats Allowed! Tally Ho! 9654 1 minute ago
Free Books & Chat - April 2017 823 4 minutes ago
KINDLE KITCHEN #6: A place for sharing, caring, chat and FUN! 6378 13 minutes ago
SwagBucks Thread 2016 2013 27 minutes ago
Freebie Books - Links Only - No Self Promotion IV 9484 28 minutes ago
Kindle Touch (D01200) 2 32 minutes ago
87th RAOK Let the winter fun begin! 7120 33 minutes ago
Multiple Kindle Windows on PC, Mac 24 34 minutes ago
Why no rear facing camera? 98 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  297
Total posts:  747
Initial post:  Aug 27, 2011
Latest post:  26 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 26 customers