Workplace Solutions Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Presto! Laundry Stocking Stuffers Get up to $100 back on House Cleaning services TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Platinum artists Shop Now
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

I wish Amazon would differeniate between kindle and pen and ink book review

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-12 of 12 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 1:17:49 PM PST
R. D. Clark says:
Ah. I pay no attention to stars. People tend to assign star ratings based on criteria that have nothing to do with their actual opinion of the item. Particularly reviewers who have learned that they get up- or down-voted based on the number of stars they award and not what they actually think or say about the work. One of many ways that the mazon review system is critically broken.

I look for well-thought out reviews from people who clearly have the necessary expertise and writing ability to tell me what I want to know (which is not really their opinion, per se, so much as whether they share the same standards that I do and how the work measures up to those standards).

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 11:57:02 AM PST
Esse says:
It would be very helpful if they could separate out reviews based on format. I give reviews a fair amount when making purchases and it would be nice to know at a glance if a Kindle version of a book has formatting issues. I imagine the same would also be helpful in other cases, as previous posters have mentioned. This would be a great feature.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 11:48:59 AM PST
We actually don't differ, I think it's valid too, I just don't think the ratings for the two should be combined.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 11:47:56 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 20, 2012 11:49:40 AM PST
LadyH95 says:
This is where you and I differ. I think rating an ebook, at least partially, on the formatting is completely valid. If I get an eBook and it is not formatted correctly to the point that it detracts from the story, that is, IMO, a valid reason to mark down the product. I don't see how that is any different than if the DTB is printed off kilter. That would annoy me to no end... I probably wouldn't be able to keep reading it.

ETA - I think anyone who relies on the reviews when purchasing will take into consideration if the review is on the same format they plan on purchasing and the individual will give credence or not to the review accordingly.

I personally, don't really rely too heavily on the reviews when making my purchasing decision. I only really look at the reviews on the $10+ ebooks if I"m uncertain I want the book.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 11:36:20 AM PST
They do indicate the format, but they combine the stars, so a book that might be a great book in pen and ink, a graphic novel or cookbook, might find itself being dragged down ratings wise because if kindle issues

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 11:35:15 AM PST
You can, but if I buy a book for the kindle and it's basically unusable in that format, it's not going to get the four or five stars it would have otherwise, so that brings the book's star rating down and in some ways isn't fair. But if I can't use the book in kindle format I can't really give it a good star rating.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 11:34:02 AM PST
I don't think so, because the format actually has to do with the usability of a book. For example, if I get a pen and ink cookbook and the pictures are all artsy and out of focus and the ink is pale blue on green paper so that I can't use it, that will figure in the rating. If a kindle book is badly formatted that had a direct impact on the book as a product.

The problem is a book I might give four or five stars to on paper, might be a three star or less kindle book, but at this time Amazon combines the ratings. A pen and ink book might be a solid five stars and the kindle book a three star, but then they are averaged, which really isn't fair to either format.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 11:29:43 AM PST
I wish more people would use the word "differentiate".

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 11:27:22 AM PST
R. D. Clark says:
The reviews do indicate the format being reviewed, although it might be nice if the reviews could be sorted by this criterion. I have the same issue with reviews of newly restored HD releases of movies on Blu-ray being indiscriminately intermixed with reviews for 15-year old VHS releases of the same movie.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 11:16:26 AM PST
LadyH95 says:
I don't see why you can't mention the Kindle specific stuff in your review. Do a section about the story and a section about the formats.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 11:03:33 AM PST
Pursuant to a thread yesterday, would the formatting be more of a seller feedback kind of thing? Not really a review of the book itself?

Initial post: Dec 20, 2012 10:52:25 AM PST
Sometimes when reviewing a kindle book I want to discuss the formatting, or the pictures not having clarity, but Amazon puts both kindle and pen and ink reviews together, so a book I might give four stars for the pen and ink version, might be three stars for the kindle.

It really doesn't seem fair to the authors and publishers, but I think kindle owners deserve to know if there are kindle issues in a book.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
We're Quirky And Proud Of It! Join Grace The Bichon, Mighty Mouse, Snapper, Wookie The Hound, Pear Eating Turkeys, Cats Playing Ice Cube Soccer And A Herd Of Giraffes! No Rude Big Goats Allowed! Tally Ho! 800 2 minutes ago
kindle books won't download 1 5 minutes ago
How to "follow" a favorite author? 60 8 minutes ago
app store not working 59 11 minutes ago
I have a new credit card number. Can you help me make the change to the new card? Thanks Roger 6 15 minutes ago
Delete stuff downloaded on Kindle when you get it 39 18 minutes ago
SwagBucks Thread 2016 1404 19 minutes ago
Fire stick drops network connection 1869 19 minutes ago
Kindle returns is a problem 19 20 minutes ago
Al's Place 36 Degrees of Separation 3215 23 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  6
Total posts:  12
Initial post:  Dec 20, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 20, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.