Amazon Vehicles Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now STEM
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle or IPad

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-16 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 17, 2012 4:51:43 PM PDT
L. McQuitty says:
I don't know which to buy for my husband. He is a trucker and needs to have mapquest available at all times. I know he has GPS on his phone but he needs a larger visible version. Also could use it for telephone numbers of vendors and other location information lookup. Is Kindle the most affordable way to go? Price is a big issue, as well as simplicity for him. Also where will I obtain an internet card? Since he will not always be near a WiFi connection. Thanks Lana Owens Missouri

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2012 4:57:52 PM PDT
Loz says:
The kindle Fire needs to be connected to wifi to be able to use the internet, so it wont be suitable for him if he is on the road. iPad or an equivalent tablet will be the way to go.

Posted on Jun 17, 2012 5:42:43 PM PDT
Fud53 says:
Some iPads are also only wifi so you don't have a signal to access mapquest and you pay monthly for the 3g/4g cell connection. In lieu of paying $199 for the Fire and $499 for the iPad why not just buy him a garmin nuvi gps for his vehicle? I mean seriously...you'll pay between $100 and $130 for a 5inch screen and if you bother to read the product description you can get it with lifetime map updates and traffic warnings/alternate routing...and they speak to you. What could be better?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2012 6:00:29 PM PDT
Anne Shirley says:
It would be simplest to get him an iPad, or a slightly less expensive tablet, which comes with 3G/4G. Although the Fire will do some things that an iPad will, the experience on an iPad will be smoother and there will be more apps to choose from. If your husband's phone and provider support it, he could tether to his phone for 3G - but you'd have to check into this before purchase, and it would likely end up costing you more money to do it that way that just purchasing a 3G/4G tablet with a $15-30 monthly fee.

The Fire would be your cheapest option, but as far as the ease of use factor, the iPad/another 3G tablet might be better. It really depends on what his primary uses and wants would be.

Posted on Jun 17, 2012 6:10:46 PM PDT
Mary says:
I second the garmin. I just replaced my 6yr old basic garmin before a trip because the map updates were gonna cost more than I paid for the thing. I got this one and love it, free map updates for life and the lane assist is a wonderful feature. Can find any resturants, gas stations and what no in the area you are at. Also plays audio books and holds photos, has a micro memory card slot. The next model up is not much more if you can find it and you can talk to it and tell it what you want to do like find resturants and stuff like that but this works for me as I couldn't find the other model in store here. Mary

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=101881

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2012 6:17:19 PM PDT
Sarida says:
Hi,

What you need to do is talk to your cell phone provider. You don't necessarily have to purchase from them, but you do need to talk to them about how to tether a device. Another possibility is to have a mobile wi-fi hotspot.

Ask them about:

1. Tethering
2. Mobile hotspot.
3. Mobile broadband.

Because you may not NEED an iPad unless you want to have a dedicated wi-fi device.

I'm most familiar with AT&T so I'll use them for an example. I can purchase their tethering plan and thus buy a cheaper device to tether to my phone and wouldn't have to spend the BIG BUCKS for either a dedicated 3G/4G tablet either with contract and be tied up for 2 years or buy an unlocked tablet to use their monthly plan.

As much as I hate sending you to Best Buy, (I'd rather go to the dentist) there are some VERY excellent GPS systems out there that have large screens and may work for your husband. You'd be surprised what all they will do. Even my cheap Magellan will look up businesses and points of interest along with phone numbers.

As for the device, if you decide the tethering plan works for you, you wouldn't have to have the more expensive iPad. You could look at the Apple Outlet store and find a refurbished iPad with a one year warranty pretty reasonable. You could even get the iPad first gen since he won't need a camera. That being said, the 1st gen won't support the new iOS 6 (means nothing to you now) when it comes out in the fall, so if it were me, I'd get the iPad 2.

Also, there are Android tablets out there that are considerable cheaper and come in both 7" and 10." You don't say what kind of phone your husband has (Apple, Android or Windows.) But he may want the tablet that corresponds with his phone because he is used to that operating system. The LAST thing we need is a trucker not paying attention to the road because he is glancing at an unfamiliar operating system.

You mention an "internet card." I assume you mean a broadband card or mobile broadband. This may be the least expensive for you if you already own a laptop. There are devices that can mount a laptop on a dashboard and with a card you may have more available to you depending on the area he drives. Remember, not all areas are served by all carriers, so you must be aware of the coverage of your cell provider. We just came back from the Grand Canyon and couldn't get cell service there (AT&T.)

Sorry this is so long. You say cost is important, so the cheapest may be the tethering. However, even with the tethering you can't go over on your data or you pay dearly. That's why I suggested seeing what is available in the GPS market. I know there are 7" screens available (same size as Fire.)

It will be hard work, but research will help you make a choice.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2012 6:23:19 PM PDT
Sarida says:
I found this:

Cobra 7750 PRO Professional Driver 7-Inch Portable GPS Navigator with Enhanced Truck-Specific Routing

This has touchscreen:

TeleType 740060 WorldNav7400 High Resolution Truck GPS

And those are just a couple! There are dozens more!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2012 7:32:22 PM PDT
Anne Shirley says:
"I'm most familiar with AT&T so I'll use them for an example. I can purchase their tethering plan and thus buy a cheaper device to tether to my phone and wouldn't have to spend the BIG BUCKS for either a dedicated 3G/4G tablet either with contract and be tied up for 2 years or buy an unlocked tablet to use their monthly plan."

Just so you & the OP know - I have a 4G iPad with AT&T service. There is no contract at all. I have friends who pay for it for the month of July and then don't pay for it again until the next time (December, for example) they decide they want 4g coverage, on a vacation, etc. If you do choose to pay for it all the time, you simply tell them which data amount (prices $15, 25 or $50) you want, and they will charge you until you tell them to stop. They also don't care if you pay $15 one month, $25 for six months, and then back to $15. There are no strings at all.

But if a device is *only* wanted for GPS and contacts, and nothing else, I agree that a Garmin and a Smartphone are enough.

Posted on Jun 17, 2012 9:50:03 PM PDT
jsh1120 says:
L. McQuitty,

I have some experience with this issue. As others have noted, the Kindle Fire is not a very suitable solution for your requirements. You may, of course, opt for a dedicated GPS unit and that may be the most economical solution. But if you're looking for a larger screen and a multifunctional device, the iPad is probably your best choice. However, an iPad with built-in 3G/4G is not, imo, either the most economical iPad solution, nor the best.

Here's what I would recommend. Purchase an iPad 2 or the new iPad. (The iPad 2 is $400 in the wifi only version.) Then add a GPS receiver such as the one cited below for another $100. This is both considerably less expensive than paying for the built-in 4G for the iPad (a $130 premium) and it doesn't obligate you to purchase a data plan (either a month-to-month prepaid plan or a long-term contract.) Furthermore, the GPS cited below is significantly better than the GPS available in the iPad. Add suitable GPS software to the iPad and your husband will have both an excellent GPS and an excellent tablet.

Dual Electronics XGPS150A Universal Bluetooth GPS Receiver for Portable Devices

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2012 2:57:07 AM PDT
R. D. Clark says:
FYI, while you do have to buy a 3G iPad in order to get the GPS chip, the 3G does not have to be active in order to use the GPS. It's just that the GPS and the 3G are part of the same electronics module.

The real issue here, IMO, is "3g or no 3G?" If the OP feels the ability to connect to the Internet without wifi is important, they will buy a 3G version. If they do, they will have the GPS (which I find has better satellite reception than my standalone Garmin, fwiw) and can try various software packages -- including the one that will be included with iOS6 -- or even install more than one.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2012 3:28:56 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 18, 2012 3:29:31 AM PDT
Since price is a big issue and he apparently has a smartphone, I'd get him a Garmin. You could probably get him a Garmin and a Fire and a Fire for yourself and some cases, etc for less than the cost of a 3G iPad.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2012 6:36:57 AM PDT
Sarida says:
Yeah, I didn't explain it well. Thanks for the clarity.

However, one has to pay MORE for their device if they don't use the two-year contract, correct?

Perhaps it depends on the carrier.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2012 6:50:43 AM PDT
jsh1120 says:
Sarida,

The subsidized cost of tablets is not exactly the same as that for phones. For example, there is no reduction in the price of an iPad whether you purchase it through a cell carrier (e.g. Verizon, AT&T) or from Apple. That's because the data plan associated with the iPad is a prepaid "no contract" deal as another poster described above. You can turn it on or off on a monthly basis as you need it. (That may be meaningless for your husband if he's on the road every month.)

The confusion here is pointed out by R.D. Clark above. The only relationship between 3G/4G and GPS is that on the iPad the GPS radio is built into the same chip as the 3G/4G radio. That means if you want GPS on an iPad you have to buy a 3G or 4G model. However, as noted in my post above, you can eliminate this problem by purchasing a separate GPS receiver that can be plugged into the wifi only iPad. Likewise, other tablets (e.g. the Samsung Galaxy models, Lenovo, etc.) have a built-in GPS radio/receiver that is NOT part of a 3G/4G chip.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2012 8:05:08 AM PDT
R. D. Clark says:
There is another dimension to this 3G vs wifi with GPS business - maps. If you use one of the low cost GPS software packages that doesn't come with a complete map package, the device will need to connect in order to download map data. While you want to do this while connected via wifi when possible, it isn't always, and having 3G becomes a lifesaver.

I have found, personally, that the biggest issue with standalone GPS units is the speed with which map data becomes obsolete, and the expense of buying newer maps. YMMV regionally.

Posted on Jun 18, 2012 8:31:41 AM PDT
Mary says:
That is so true on the maps. Now I don't have to worry anymore as you get them free for life so just hook to the computer and download before as trip to update. Garmin has a desktop updater. Mary

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2012 6:28:02 PM PDT
Anne Shirley says:
The additional money one pays for a 4G iPad is up front in the purchase price - $130 more than a wi-fi only iPad. This is because there is hardware inside that the wi-fi only iPad lacks. You can't add it later, and there is no discount of any kind for not signing up for a contract, as there is no iPad 4G 'contract.' The fees charged by Verizon or AT&T for 4G iPad use are completely separate from any phone plans anyone may have.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Pictures on Kindle Fire 53 13 seconds ago
It's After Midnight and I Just Opened a Bottle of Wine 5849 58 seconds ago
clinton cash 6 2 minutes ago
Cannot deliver to selected device 28 6 minutes ago
customer support 27 6 minutes ago
Elephants Three at The Ģrandest Hotel - Part IV 4964 10 minutes ago
can not turn off voice guide 106 15 minutes ago
86th RAoK - Let the Games Begin 4378 21 minutes ago
Music Not Working in Kindle Fire 147 21 minutes ago
Kindle Fire & Scrabble 102 28 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  9
Total posts:  16
Initial post:  Jun 17, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 18, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions