Amazon Vehicles Fall Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Water Sports STEM
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Filing books already read.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 73 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 4, 2012 9:35:19 PM PDT
JLou says:
I have hundreds of books I have read from Amazon. I know EVERYTHING I have ever ordered is on my Amazon account. When I finish reading a book I would love to place it in an "Already read books" file. Is this feature on my Kindle Fire or available through my Amazon Account and I am just not seeing it? It is really hard to keep up with ALL the books, so I have to write them down. I do love the idea that I can re-read any of my books, but I want to go to that file of "previously read" books and not my Amazon account or my archive, where I can't remember which ones I've read or not.

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2012 9:45:39 PM PDT
AmeliaAT says:
A lot of people use either http://kindle.amazon.com/ to track which books they've read or Shelfari (also an Amazon site, but more "social" and with more features than the "Your Books" section of the kindle.amazon site.

Posted on May 5, 2012 3:49:47 AM PDT
Arieswoman says:
I don't personally like Shelfari so I started an Excel spreadsheet of books I have read. I tried Calibre but was warned about the safety of the website.

Posted on May 5, 2012 4:05:18 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 5, 2012 4:12:33 AM PDT
What sort of warning did you get about Calibre? As far as I know it's perfectly safe and is used by me and thousands of others to manage our ebook libraries.

Here's a link to a video tutorial by Calibre creator Kovid Goyal which explains, among other tips, how to tag and sort books using a read/unread column: http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/2010/08/12/calibre-ebook-management-user-interface-tutorial/. It's very simple and is the best solution for managing a large ebook library. The explanation begins at about 2:30 into the video. There'a also a link to an earlier tutorial that explains how to install and set up the Calibre program.

Recommend Calibre without hesitation. You can download as a cnet secure download here, with absolutely no concerns about safety: http://download.cnet.com/Calibre/3000-20412_4-10910277.html

Posted on May 5, 2012 4:15:05 AM PDT
Catwoman2965 says:
You could also just create a folder in your collections and call it something like "already read" That's what I did, and when I finish a book, I just move it to that folder.

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2012 4:39:23 AM PDT
I found Shelfari to be ponderous. Just tagging a book was a huge chore (I was probably doing it wrong); it was not a simple drag & drop deal.

Posted on May 5, 2012 6:45:08 AM PDT
Arieswoman says:
@James
It might be my McAfee security software. I was worried about it when it said something about the certificate not being signed? Thanks for the recommendations.

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2012 6:49:47 AM PDT
Arieswoman says:
@Catwoman2965
If there were collections on the Kindle Fire!

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2012 7:10:20 AM PDT
 nospin  says:
Folina-
In Shelfar, you probably should have been tagging in list view>bulk which allows you to tag/categorize all 150 books on a page.

Shelfari can be social, or not, depending upon what the individual wants. Personally I do not participate in the groups except for the group from here which is primarily an informational group on Shelfari tips and tricks.

Shelfari is the easiest for importing books from Amazon and exporting into a spreadsheet. It is also the way to get descriptions of the book to appear on your Fire under Book Extras.

Posted on May 5, 2012 7:19:58 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 10, 2016 2:15:05 PM PDT]

Posted on May 5, 2012 7:28:00 AM PDT
Arieswoman, There are many sites that have errors, expired, or no security certificates. When that happens, you can always google the site name for more info to determine whether it is safe. When in doubt, its better to avoid them. In this case, Calibre is completely safe and is widely used.

Posted on May 5, 2012 3:03:29 PM PDT
AmeliaAT says:
Shelfari's complexity is one reason that many people prefer to use the library tools available when you sign in to http://kindle.amazon.com/

I agree. Calibre is a great program; you can do a lot with it, or very little, depending on your needs, and it's very safe. The developer is always pushing out updates and fixes. It's one of the best freeware programs I've used since I first got my own computer back in 1988. There's nothing unsafe about the calibre site or the download. I download about every third update, and I often visit the site looking at the various instruction pages. I have had zero problems associated with either the site or the program.

Posted on May 5, 2012 3:17:16 PM PDT
lisalisacats says:
if you have a two computers and want to access Calibre do you have to down load the program on both computers and where is it stored? I guess my question is does it work like the Amazone archives where it's all stored on a site or is it stored on your computer?

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2012 3:33:54 PM PDT
AmeliaAT says:
Calibre is a program that works on your computer. There are versions for Windows, Mac, and Linux (as I remember). There's also a mini-version that you can put on a flash drive. I've done that, but haven't played with it at all.

Posted on May 5, 2012 7:48:23 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 10, 2016 2:15:06 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2012 8:24:39 AM PDT
K. Bosse says:
I did that too, but how can I get book titles off my home screen?

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2012 8:39:56 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 6, 2012 8:42:32 AM PDT
Cal says:
I would like to be able to create a "already read" Collection/folder in my Amazon Cloud / Archived area so I wouldn't have to store "Already Read" books on my device....

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2012 12:11:58 PM PDT
Karin says:
With my Kindle Keyboard when I right click on the title from my homescreen it sends me to a page where I have the option to "add to collection". I add it to "books I've read" and it moves it off my homescreen...

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2012 12:15:42 PM PDT
 nospin  says:
You can keep track of books you have read at https://kindle.amazon.com

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2012 1:02:28 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 6, 2012 1:05:28 PM PDT
Cal says:
I do the same thing. But i'm wanting to remove the books I've read from my Kindle and store them in the cloud. I store most of the books I have in the cloud, read and unread. The problem with that is ALL the books are in one huge list. I can't always remember which ones I've read and which ones I haven't read. Even if I could remember, I don't want to have to wade through every book I've ever downloaded to find one I haven't read.

Till Amazon creates "collections" in the cloud/archives, ill keep doing what everyone else is doing and store them on my kindle in a "finished reading" file/collection.

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2012 3:14:33 PM PDT
K. Bosse says:
I created a Read collection, however the books still stay on my Home Menu. It appears the sort is not working to sort only by collections. I cannot get rid of the "all items" then "collections" in the sort criteria.

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2012 7:22:13 PM PDT
bj says:
I have done this but mine won't move off my home screen..any advise??

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2012 7:37:36 PM PDT
 Ann says:
You've sorted your Home page 'By Collections'? If so, and it's still not sorting properly, you might want to try rebooting. Press or slide and hold the power button for a full 30 seconds, then release and wait for it to restart.

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2012 7:49:09 PM PDT
AmeliaAT says:
Are you viewing by Collections or by something else -- Title, Author, Most Recent? You have to be viewing by Collections in order not to see all of the individual books, but only the collections.

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2012 8:54:34 PM PDT
Pam Engel says:
How do you do that?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Free Books and Chat - August 2016 794 48 seconds ago
Music Not Working in Kindle Fire 156 2 minutes ago
MY kindle fire wont load the book store. 95 2 minutes ago
We're Quirky And We Know It! Come Witness The Howling Dink, Hussy Turkey Hens, And A Veritable Plethora Of Other Beasts! So Geese! 5828 3 minutes ago
KINDLE KITCHEN #6: A place for sharing, caring, chat and FUN! 145 10 minutes ago
Where can I get my Kindle fixed? 220 18 minutes ago
Discounted / Price Dropped Kindle eBooks III 9982 25 minutes ago
August 2016--Informal Poll--What are you reading? 154 29 minutes ago
86th RAoK - Let the Games Begin 4446 29 minutes ago
Freebie Books - Links Only - No Self Promotion IV 8177 31 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  27
Total posts:  73
Initial post:  May 4, 2012
Latest post:  May 17, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions