Amazon Vehicles Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Benjamin Leftwich Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer power_s3 power_s3 power_s3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Audio Books

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-24 of 24 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 15, 2012 9:32:08 PM PDT
ca says:
I love my Kindle Fire but have only used it to "read" books. I am driving for 6 hours this week and am wondering about audio books. Has anyone used audio books? How do I get them and how do I listen to them? Thanks for any advice.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012 9:50:08 PM PDT
I use Audible.com audiobooks with the app on the Fire and they work great.

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 10:11:53 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 15, 2012 10:22:30 PM PDT
I do a lot of solo driving, always listen to audible.com books or to ebooks via text-to-speech (sorry the Fire does audibles but not TTS's). Hints:

#1 Amazon owns www.audible.com. Sign in there with your Amazon logon and it will autolink to both your device and your existing cloud. easy-peasy. And they often run a free trial for audible newbies.

#2 Six hours driving and reading will really drain your battery. You can get a cigarette-lighter power cord with the right size tip on Amazon or at local Radio Shack, etc., quite inexpensively. Keep it plugged in as you drive along.

#3 Fire's speakers are not very loud, can be difficult to hear in high traffic noise. Get something like this if your car has a cassette player Universal Car Audio Cassette Adapter, Blackor if it doesn't, search for an auto fm converter. Either gadget hooks the Fire's earphone jack into your car radio and you then listen thru the radio.

I put my seatbelt on, plug in my power cable, insert the radio converter, turn on the radio, open the audible book, and I'm good to go.

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 11:29:13 PM PDT
D. Murphy says:
but what about library audio books that can be downloaded to mp3 players? any idea how to put these on the fire?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 2:33:01 AM PDT
Make sure those books are in the MP3 format and you would download/sideload to the same folder as your music files. They are played throught the Fire's music program.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 7:53:23 AM PDT
D. Murphy says:
Can you tell me how to transfer it to the Fire? When I connect to my computer the Kindle Fire does show up whereas my Kindle3 does.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 9:01:26 AM PDT
 nospin  says:
D. Murphy-
If your library participates in Overdrive, get the Overdrive app from the app store and access the MP3 audio book that way.
OverDrive Media Console: Library eBooks & Audiobooks

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 10:12:40 AM PDT
D. Murphy says:
It does and I have but I haven't figured how to get the audio from my computer to the kindle fire. usually, when transferring to my walkman OR kindle 3 it's just a simple transfer but my computer isn't recognizing my Kindle Fire so there is no "transfer" availability. I think the problem must be in getting my computer to recognize the fire like it recognizes the k3.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 10:20:32 AM PDT
 nospin  says:
Do it all through the browser on your Fire - no transfer necessary. Use the app to listen.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 2:40:40 PM PDT
D. Murphy says:
thanks for your help....trying to download the overdrive to the kindle & that's giving me fits! But....I shall be persistent....I really like my Fire & I really enjoy audio books too!

Posted on Jun 16, 2012 3:04:48 PM PDT
LJA says:
I just downloaded a sample to my kindle fire like I do with regular books. I've never hooked my KF to the computer.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 3:06:02 PM PDT
 nospin  says:
You need to go to the gear then choose device and then turn allow unknown to the on position.

I think you should install from the Overdrive site while in the browser on your Fire. That is the way it worked for me.

Posted on Jun 16, 2012 4:34:14 PM PDT
T. Carr says:
I have tried to download the overdrive media console and it says it won't open the file. I can't find it in the app store. I turned the "allow unknown" to the on position and tried to install it from the overdrive site, but like i said it says cannot open file. Which options should I click when downloading it from the site?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 5:05:30 PM PDT
 nospin  says:
While in the browser on your Fire, go to Overdrive.com
Select Overdrive media center on the right
On the next page, select Overdrive for android on the left.
There seems to be a change with the introduction of Google Play. Below that there is a small area which says If your device is not on Google Play, click here. You will then have to agree to licenses and hit install.
I just updated mine using these steps and it worked.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 5:53:55 PM PDT
T. Carr says:
Thanks Nospin! These steps worked great and I was able to download Overdrive!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 6:31:50 PM PDT
D. Murphy says:
I was SO excited that this worked for you but when I tried it it did not work :0 been "loading" overdrive for 10 minutes so far!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 6:34:39 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 16, 2012 6:58:39 PM PDT
D. Murphy says:
I don't see where to "choose device" I usually am ok w/ this type of thing...this makes me feel "dumb"!

found it!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 6:41:13 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 16, 2012 6:41:32 PM PDT
 nospin  says:
Pull down your screen from the upper left to see if the app has been delivered. It may be there and you are not aware.

If that is not it the area for device is below the Google Play icon.
The print is pretty small - enlarge that area so you can see it and click there.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 6:53:03 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 16, 2012 7:02:00 PM PDT
D. Murphy says:
great....got the overdrive installed....
now to try for audio book & I'll be doing a happy dance!

happy happy dance

Thank you each every one....got it .... my day is now complete!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 7:19:13 PM PDT
 nospin  says:
You are welcome.
glad I was able to help.

Enjoy!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2012 9:05:13 PM PDT
ca says:
Thanks for the great information!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 23, 2012 11:09:44 PM PDT
I am also trying to download Overdrive. As of right now it has been about 15 mintues. It may be done by the time someone responds, but just in case, does anyone know how long it takes to download? Also does anyone khow how much memory does this take? Thanks a bunch

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2012 11:00:03 AM PDT
D. Murphy says:
you have to go in and search for it. Look at your downloads.

Posted on Jul 31, 2012 8:40:32 AM PDT
Patti says:
Thanks so much for this info. Following links from library site made it look like my fire could not play any audio formats they offered. Following instructions above starting at overdrives home page I was able to install aneroid app. Still have to dnld book from lib but looking possible now anyway!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  10
Total posts:  24
Initial post:  Jun 15, 2012
Latest post:  Jul 31, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions