Amazon Vehicles Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning masterpiece masterpiece masterpiece  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. National Bike Month on Amazon Ellen
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle Fire as iPod?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 25, 2012, 10:05:36 PM PDT
AVgrayb12 says:
I'm a music lover but never bought a player such as iPod since it doesn't seem economical to pay that much for a device with such narrow functionality. Enter Kindle Fire which met most of my needs like reading color documents (I'm an engineer). However, the Kindle Fire appears to have serious drawbacks as a music player due to limited on board storage and no external recording device support.

Has anyone on this forum successfully used Kindle Fire as a music player?

Posted on Apr 25, 2012, 10:21:54 PM PDT
Kevin S. W. says:
I have not, as I can't see carrying something lacking in the major areas I find desirable for a mp3 player.

It's physical form prevents me from conveniently carrying it, so planning is somewhat of a necessity. As you noted, the extremely limited storage is also rather problematic. Lacking physical controls means coming to nearly a complete halt when out walking just to adjust things, due to issues if your finger slips. And while the battery life on the Kindle Fire I owned was excellent when considered for watching videos, it was only alright for reading (compared to a second generation Kindle) and would be rather limited if I had used it half the day for music and then finished up with reading and/or videos.

If I were mainly concerned with functionality, and had the spare cash right now, I would probably get another Open Pandora:
http://www.openpandora.org/

Thanks to the dual SDHC card slots the storage can get fairly reasonable, and since many SDXC memory sticks also work with it the capacity is impressive. Physical controls make it excellent for gaming, and fine for typing. Battery life is comparable to the Kindle Fire for videos, but due to optimizations is amazing for just music. Honestly, while a bit large, it is an excellent portable that can cover many entertainment needs.

Posted on Apr 26, 2012, 1:50:34 AM PDT
A. Dietz says:
I use it as a music player all the time. I have over 500 albums uploaded to the Amazon cloud with multiple play lists set up. I have a solid fiber internet connection both at home and at work, so on-board storage isn't an issue at all, I just stream the music from my cloud storage using the cloud player. I have about 50 albums downloaded to the device itself so I can listen to tunes on the bus on the way to work, and I plug the Kindle into my stereo system at home and the sound is great.

Posted on Apr 26, 2012, 1:59:24 AM PDT
SeaLevel274 says:
I think the Fire is okay as a music player if you are stationary and have Wi-Fi access to your uploaded music, and you can have some music stored locally. You might just need to swap out the locally stored music from time to time.

Posted on Apr 26, 2012, 2:51:45 AM PDT
Ztu says:
Too big for me as a music player. It is one of the few things I don;t use the Fire for much. But, then again, I still use a Zune HD which is smaller than an iPod.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 26, 2012, 3:04:47 AM PDT
musicmomma says:
I do not use my KF for my music. I have an iPod Touch and use that for my music and audio books. It works great.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 26, 2012, 4:35:26 AM PDT
I replaced my ipod w the fire. I use the Slacker Radio app to do my music over wifi. Love it
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  7
Initial post:  Apr 25, 2012
Latest post:  Apr 26, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer