Amazon Business Books with Buzz STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty March Birthstone Book House Cleaning _ros _ros _ros  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now STEM
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle Fire gets hot at the bottom.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 73 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jan 24, 2012, 7:28:30 PM PST
Fire gets hot while charging, yesterday it was so hot the screen froze and had to perform a hard reset, i normally dont take it out of the case and think that may have contribute to the heat. today i am charging again and noticed it was getting warmer when i had it leaning but once it was laid flat the heat dissipated

Posted on Feb 11, 2012, 3:14:36 PM PST
T. Breslin says:
I have noticed my Kindle Touch gets very warm while charging and while listening to an Audible audiobook. Also, the battery was more than 1/2 depleted after only 2 chapters into the book. I am considering returning it for a refund.

Posted on Feb 11, 2012, 3:21:22 PM PST
I just finished charging my new fire (1 Week), and it is completely cool. don't have it plugged into a GFI.

Posted on Mar 2, 2012, 9:03:57 AM PST
Christina C. says:
My Kindle Fire gets very hot when I'm charging it, but cools off quickly as soon as I unplug it. It works fine, and the battery lasts an expected amount. I was just worried that this wasn't normal, and since I've read all these posts I think that it is fine. Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2012, 7:46:10 PM PDT
I actually think it very possible to be on there 5th kindle ..I love my 1st one but the Usb port stopped charging so they sent me a " new" one , well the kindle they sent me for a replacement would reset itself every 5 min. So now I am on my third and I am debating sending it back cause it gets unusually hot ...the first 2 did not do this. The problem is that even if you bought yours brand new a month before they will often send you a older refurbished one

Posted on May 2, 2012, 7:34:13 PM PDT
Word Junkie says:
I've had my Kindle Fire just short of 2 weeks & it gets extremely hot to the touch while playing games or reading. I don't keep it on WiFi while doing these things and the battery doesn't last but a couple of hours. I have to let it cool, then plug it in. Sometimes it's hot while charging, sometimes not. I only store it in a case, I don't leave it in there while using. I'm hesitant to do anything as far as calling customer service, unless it quits working completely, because I don't want them to send me a refurbished Kindle when I purchased mine brand new. Has anyone heard from CS about what is causing the heating problem?

Posted on May 21, 2012, 11:49:55 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 21, 2012, 11:56:24 PM PDT]

Posted on May 21, 2012, 11:50:11 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 21, 2012, 11:58:12 PM PDT
1st kindle: dropped behind my door (about 5 ft.) was sent another one
2nd kindle: handed to me by UPS but battery gets really hot as well as device when charging
3rd kindle: dropped behind my door again AND battery gets really hot as well as device when charging
4th kindle: being sent to me as we speak...is there a chance that it will work this time

Seems like a lot of people are having battery issues.....I love it but maybe I should just get my money back...is it too late???? I've only had the kindle for 4 months now...that's like one kindle a month....

Posted on May 26, 2012, 12:18:14 PM PDT
Marylin says:
I have the same problem with the Kindle getting hot but it seems like it is when I have it plugged in and playing a game at the same time. Has anyone had the problem where after you play a word and the advertisements show up....you get a dot in the middle of a black screen....then you can't get out of it in any way. I turn it off and on and it comes back to the same black screen with the tiny dot in the middle. It's as if an advertisement isn't loading. How do you get out of it???????

Posted on May 31, 2012, 7:44:30 PM PDT
my kindle fire got so hot while charging, the battery pack or something swelled up and split it open. My fire is ruined but lucky for me did not start to blaze, now just looking everywhere for my receipt!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2012, 11:03:11 PM PDT
k winterrowd says:
Mine does

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2012, 7:14:32 AM PDT
KBowen says:
I'm on my 3rd because they get so hot to the touch while charging... I worry about a fire hazard. I will no longer charge it unless I'm sitting right there with it.

Posted on Jul 18, 2012, 12:20:39 PM PDT
I always take out of case and shut down when charging, never have a problem with heat. I got my fire for Christmas and read for several hours at a time.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2012, 11:27:32 AM PDT
You don't need a receipt - if you registered your Fire on Amazon and you have your pertinent info, they'll take care of you quickly. Mine have been gifts (first was the e-ink and now the Fire) and I didn't have the receipt and when my first Fire wouldn't charge, I had another one within 2 days. But my Fire gets hot too when it's charging and I have it turned on - so hot that when I brushed my inner forearm against it it made me jerk away. I've been lucky that it hasn't split or anything but what happened to yours shouldn't have happened PERIOD. Just contact CS and they'll get you taken care of right away. (IF you haven't already since I noticed this was posted in May.)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2012, 11:36:09 AM PDT
Marylin says:
thanks for the post. No, I haven't reported it to Amazon...I was hoping I would find out if others had this problem. It appears that it is a real problem and I always worry about how hot it will get...fire prevention, you know. I watch it very closely but when I have to hold it, it is difficult to wrap my fingers around the top of the Kindle as the other half is just way too hot. Thanks again!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2012, 10:38:48 PM PDT
I've actually had my kindle replaced 2 times after the one time I complained and they all got hot.....Just kept my original one and charge it by the kitchen or bathroom outlets like the lady earlier said to do. My charger and kindle doesn't get too hot there.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 23, 2012, 7:11:12 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 23, 2012, 7:12:48 PM PDT]

Posted on Nov 11, 2012, 2:01:46 PM PST
Turner Ranch says:
Perhaps charging it on a cooling rack (allowing air space underneath) will reduce the overheating/hot issue. That's my plan when I receive mine. I notice our laptop is too warm to have directly on my lap during use.

Posted on Nov 20, 2012, 4:03:57 PM PST
kevin alfano says:
My entire kindle gets really hot while charging it. It gets to hot for me to even touch it and then I smell a burnt smell from it. :(

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012, 5:23:26 PM PST
Call Customer Service. That burnt smell is the Magic Smoke leaving the electronics. After the Smoke is all gone, the device will no longer work at all.

Posted on Dec 24, 2012, 6:23:52 AM PST
J. L. Scott says:
My Kindle Fire gets very hot while using apps.. not reading... it will shut itself down after maybe 20 minutes.. any game app... angry birds, etc...

Posted on Dec 30, 2012, 1:46:46 PM PST
Cristal says:
Mine has shut down numerous times & gets super hot while playing games/movies. Kindle #2 will b here Jan 2nd. Hopefully it will work better than this one.

Posted on Jan 6, 2013, 6:09:01 PM PST
mine too.. not over hot and battery is poop.. what do we do then form a revolt..lol

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2013, 9:17:13 AM PST
Elizabeth L. says:
I'm on my fourth and not doing anything wrong..so you do not know what you are talking about this one is getting very hot

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2013, 10:16:03 AM PST
My 1st gen Fire would get VERY hot in the 1/4 closest to the charger when I tried to stream while it was charging. When I learned to just let it alone while on the charger, it seemed to not get so warm.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  60
Total posts:  73
Initial post:  Nov 19, 2011
Latest post:  Sep 17, 2016

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 21 customers