Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now STEMClub17_gno
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Switching to Amazon.ca

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 107 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2012, 7:34:01 AM PST
Stoneheart says:
i wont switch to a canadian account, i bought a tv earlier this year, on amazon.ca i had a choice of 3...really dont understand why anyone would want to use the amazon.ca store, hardly any choices and way way too expensive

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2012, 7:35:28 AM PST
Is it expensive due to the brands being carried (and no competition) or taxes or a combo?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2012, 7:36:51 AM PST
Stoneheart says:
dont know why, but a $99 tv here was $399 on .ca
: (

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2012, 7:51:04 AM PST
That's a bummer. There goes my hope people would buy the books there! Although it's way more important they buy them period than actual location!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2012, 7:56:08 AM PST
Stoneheart says:
last time i looked the amazon.ca store didnt offer kindle books

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2012, 8:01:14 AM PST
Well they must now because they had the option for us to sign up to distribute them there. They appear to be live as well.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B008ECZULA

I don't know exactly when they added them or other books, however, on the other forum, Canadians mentioned that the big 6 books have been available for Kindle for a long time--but not all the books and not always at competitive prices. I had to ask the question because I was confused. I know Canadians have been buying my books and Kindles. Apparently it just depends on who you ask, but MOST Canadians have used the US store.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2012, 8:04:06 AM PST
Stoneheart says:
when i bought the tv, there were no kindle books offered in the amazon.ca so its obviously new (within the past year) OR the kindle books are hidden so well i couldnt find them just DTB's

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2012, 8:05:06 AM PST
If you go to a regular print book now, does it list a kindle counterpart (mine show both the print and kindle version tied together just like a regular book.) Let me go look.

Posted on Dec 10, 2012, 8:06:41 AM PST
Hmm.. The Patricia Briggs one I looked at shows a kindle version, but you can't click on it. So it's tied together to show one exists, but I can't tell if I can't click on it because I'm not in Canada or no one can click on it. Anyone have the store set to .ca that can look?

Posted on Dec 10, 2012, 8:12:38 AM PST
Wait, wait! I can click on it and it is tied to the print version. Must be that they added the whole kaboodle in the last year.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2012, 8:16:20 AM PST
***SNOWFLAKY***~The Squiggly squirrel... says: "i wouldnt switch to amazon.ca, the store basically has zero selection"

I'm looking at it right now and there are 1,513,042 Kindle books in the Amazon.ca Kindle store. That seems a bit more than zero to me.

"and yes the prices are outrageous"

They are higher, but compared to the prices that Australians talk about, they don't seem to be too outrageous. They seem to be about $2-3 more than the US prices.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2012, 8:17:47 AM PST
Stoneheart says:
as i said in a previous post, they must have added them since i bought the tv, there was ZERO kindle books listed then

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2012, 8:21:08 AM PST
Amazon only just got approval from Canada to open the Canadian Kindle store and opened it this weekend.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2012, 8:22:38 AM PST
Stoneheart says:
definitely new then

Posted on Dec 10, 2012, 9:46:20 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 10, 2012, 9:48:18 AM PST
C. Avery says:
The question I really want answered is about the availability of free books in the .ca store!
Anyone checked or know about this?
I get a lot of free Kindle content thru .com - mostly indie authors - but I dont want to lose this exposure if I migrate to the Canadian store!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2012, 10:20:23 AM PST
CBRetriever says:
if it's like the amazon.fr store, you'll see all the same books that you see on amazon.com

I see the same books on amazon.fr and amazon.com and that's because my country filter is set to France, if yours is set to Canada, you'll see the same books on both sites including the free ones

Posted on Dec 10, 2012, 11:10:21 AM PST
the problem with switching is when you have magazines. you lose them. amazon sells the spectator for 4.99/m for 4 issues. apple has the same subscription where a year will cost you 119.99 + 13 % tax. not worth switching. unless we get apps + fire hd. otherwise why switch.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2012, 11:13:32 AM PST
C. Avery says:
I knew that I would still be able to see them (or most of them), but will I still see them as freebies?
In the past, links to "free" books are often not free once the .com site recognizes me as being in Canada- many books become "not available to clients in your country" after I try to purchase them...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2012, 11:20:22 AM PST
CBRetriever says:
actually, you will see them as the actual prices (no more unwelcome surprises) and your emails about specials will actually have the correct prices in them

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2012, 12:36:15 PM PST
The free books available in Canada show as free on both .com and .ca for those that I have checked. But I'm not sure if the free book sources like eReader are capable of linking to the .ca store yet.

Posted on Dec 10, 2012, 1:24:55 PM PST
When we sign up for Amazon exclusive (as authors) and we make a book free, last time I checked we had to make it free EVERYWHERE. There was no way to exclude any country. That said, there was a discussion on the author forum about suggesting that it would be nice to just be able to make it free in X or Y. I don't participate in the exclusive to Amazon program anymore so I haven't paid attention to whether the rules have changed, but as of a few months ago, it was "all free" everywhere. I think that is still the case. I'll go look.

So for the person asking, if Amazon has everything set up the same way, the books would also show as free in the .ca store.

Posted on Dec 10, 2012, 1:32:47 PM PST
I don't see anything in the rules to indicate that a KDP book can be listed free in one country and not in others. Keep in mind this is for books in KDP (usually indie author or backlist). So if Amazon has a freebie from a major publisher OR a price reduction THAT THEY CONTROL (either Amazon or the publisher) THAT type of deal is usually country specific. There have been many deals available only in the UK that aren't here and the reverse is also true.

I think that means that someone doing a FREE promotion should see it in all countries.

We do control pricing on a per country basis (although we can never charge less than the equivalent of 99 cents). So I could run a "sale" in Canada and have my books at 99 cent Canadian, but not run it in the US. I have not actually TRIED this, but I know I can click a box that says "price based on the US price entered" and then everything is calculated for me, or I can enter individual prices per country (There are boxes for each country.) It's getting more complex with each country added because the rules and percentages paid to me are not always the same.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2012, 1:42:23 PM PST
Hey, whadda ya know, ereaderiq set up a Canadian site.
[I've got nothing to do with Canada, just a little bored at work today... :) ]

http://ca.ereaderiq.com/

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2012, 3:00:15 PM PST
Gary Clay says:
The USA price you are quoting applies if you have an American address. If you are buying it on amazon.com from Canada the price is $15.40 USD. That is a bit over the amazon.ca price. This applies to pretty well all the cost comparisons I have done between the two sites and in some cases the amazon.ca price is a couple of bucks cheaper. So, for Canadians the cost of books from amazon.ca is cheaper unless they have a USA billing address.

Posted on Dec 10, 2012, 3:12:33 PM PST
missmegane says:
I agree, Gary. I compared some of the currently popular books - both to check for availability and for prices - before switching. From what I saw, the same books were available on the .ca site as the .com site. As far as pricing went, since the prices are now in CAD and we don't have to pay the exchange rate for the USD price on .com, it looks like most books were a couple dollars cheaper on .ca.

There is definitely a disadvantage if you were using any of the magazine/newspaper subscriptions, which as far as I can tell, are not available yet on .ca. It does clearly state when you agree to transfer your account that you will lose your archived newspaper/magazine subscriptions. I only have e-books though and as soon as I switched, all my previously purchased e-books are now available on my account over there. I don't think .ca is as bad as some people are saying. Yeah, there will be a few bugs and it may take a bit to get everything up to speed on .ca (such as the newspapers and magazines), but overall I am happy with it so far. It's nice to know the actual price of a book, as opposed to the USD price plus whatever exchange rate the credit card company will give me on a given day.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Dragi's Croatian Crab Shack and Wine Bar - The Answers Are Blowing In The Wind 5524 27 minutes ago
Discounted / Price Dropped Kindle eBooks IV 2166 53 minutes ago
KINDLE KITCHEN #6: A place for sharing, caring, chat and FUN! 7777 1 hour ago
Amazon Insider app for Fire HD 8 5 1 hour ago
kid's kindle fire..App Unavailable: SD Card Not Found??? 225 1 hour ago
free books & chat - june 2017 (fb&c) 748 1 hour ago
Audible prime channels 7 2 hours ago
Why Does It Take SO Long????? 51 2 hours ago
Can I play the same music to multiple Echo devices? 460 2 hours ago
My kindle won't turn on 3725 3 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  31
Total posts:  107
Initial post:  Dec 8, 2012
Latest post:  Feb 26, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 9 customers