Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by The Lone Bellow Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating PSFF17_gno
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Australian kindle users thread

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 8101-8125 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on Apr 24, 2012, 11:02:44 PM PDT
Donna S says:
At the ANZAC Commemoration yesterday at school, the ceremony included both national anthems and a special Hakka performed by the NZ-born students, both Maori/Islander and Non-MI. They did it with such reverence and solemnity. It was beautiful. The school band did the music and we had a student perform the Last Post. The service is getting such a reputation that many members of the public have been attending. You could have heard a pin drop. Not a murmur when 1,280 students stood to sing the anthems and then sat back down after the prayer. Talk about proud!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2012, 11:09:10 PM PDT
OMGMJLHTF - unbelievable - people actually bought this??? I just had to have a look. Thanks for sharing Sandra in Sydney. Got a great laugh out of the reviews and the customers who bought this also bought thing.

Surely it is some sort of a joke? Maybe they lowered the price for a bit, got all their friends to buy it so it was a verified purchase, then wrote their reveiws for them? Or something. Toooooo much to get my head around lol.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2012, 11:10:18 PM PDT
lol - just saw your post. Silly me assumed they were verifie purchases! I still got a great laugh out of the reviews - I'm tempted to write one myself lol

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2012, 11:11:16 PM PDT
Though it doesn't explain the 'also bought'.....

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2012, 11:25:09 PM PDT
Suncoast says:
Austin - I have found that a great way of improving your reviewer rankings is to get helpful votes but your review has to be something special to get votes. I could not hope to match some of the reviews of this monstrous piece of technical literature:

1. "At Last! An affordable piece of literature for my Scouts to use as part of their Nuclear Fission Badge requirements..."

2. "Slightly disappointed - I ordered this book to complete my doomsday weapon. The information is clear and well drawn-out, particularly the detail regarding the fusion of plasma energy with dark matter. My weapon was finished on schedule. Guaranteed Armageddon. It was beautiful, really. Except it turned out that due to a tiny error on page 601 of the book, my device was not exactly a success. I now have to start from scratch."

3. "After all this time, Amazon and the publishers are listening to our $6999.99 boycott!" (Australian publishers take note.)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2012, 11:33:18 PM PDT
Suncoast says:
Sleepless - did you see the Ataturk Memorial in Ankara. It was an impressive reminder of what he did to create modern Turkey.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012, 12:00:38 AM PDT
No, we didn't get to Ankara, but did read quite a bit about him and he was an amazing person, great vision.

We were quite excited when we heard that Albany council (south coast of WA) were going to to erect a statue of Ataturk along with a copy of the memorial. They were doing this as many of the ships taking troops over left from Albany. When we first looked for it we couldn't find it and the tourist bureau knew nothing about it. We finally found it half way along a coast walk (and we suspect that not many people would actually get that far) and although its a decent statue the plaque with the memorial is very small and insignifiant. We were very disappointed.

Posted on Apr 25, 2012, 12:07:09 AM PDT
Huigh - well I'm testing out PriceUSA. I wanted a particular kindle cover for hubby, $17.99 from Amazon, shipped from the vendor and the shipping was !!!!$68.11!!!! The cover I want for my tablet, $19.99, Amazon won't ship to Oz (I don't get this, how come they send some covers and not others?). So PriceUSA have quoted $21.41 for Economy shipping and delivery insurance. This doesn't cover USA shipping from amazon to the agent, I'm hoping Amazon won't charge anything. So I will be very happy if I can get both covers to the door in WA for $60. Will let you know how it goes (hopefully in about 3 weeks).

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012, 12:34:56 AM PDT
Loz says:
Donna - it was like that at the football today. I saw the Anzac ceremony on tv and its the only times the MCG would be completely full and completely silent at the same time.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012, 12:47:58 AM PDT
JJulieJ says:
Thanks, Judy. I think they've also got that interview as a video clip on the ABC website.

Although it mentions a couple of the houses they used neither of them is Phryne's house. I'd love to know where that one is. Apparently it is privately owned (but heritage listed) and I think they only used it for exterior shots. But the interior sets are made as if they were in the house, just scaled a little bigger to allow space for the cameras.

Posted on Apr 25, 2012, 1:01:01 AM PDT
Donna S says:
Loz, Just goes to show we know when and how to demonstrate our appreciation for the fallen. I hope the immigrants and refugees who arrive here also realise and respect the sacrifice and traditions symbolised by and in the ANZAC day services.

I also shake my head in wonder at the forsight and vision of Ataturk and wish we had more national and international statesmen/women and businessmen/women like him to guide some of the seamingly rudderless/mercenary behaviour of countries and corporations today.

I'm done now.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012, 1:21:36 AM PDT
Suncoast says:
Donna - I agree completely. Where are the statesmen now that can steer the world in the right direction? This is not a political statement, just a reality statement.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012, 1:43:41 AM PDT
Noni says:
We saw the Albany memorial whilst on the coast walk. It's very nice but as you say a bit off the beaten track

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012, 2:02:14 AM PDT
Tui Allen says:
Thank-you - so relieved.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012, 2:04:16 AM PDT
Yes, Julie, from what I've seen on other threads this is the most peaceful place on the forum. Hop you all had a happy ANZAC Day.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012, 2:04:40 AM PDT
Tui Allen says:
Agreed - the perfect place, here where Aussie/kiwi relations are so fine.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012, 2:05:20 AM PDT
Tui Allen says:
Oh no! Not James Joyce! I'll never misbehave again.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012, 2:09:20 AM PDT
Yes, I was so moved by the whole place. I swear it's haunted. The Turkish guide took us up to the Australian and New Zealand cemetery at dawn. All those graves of very young men. As the sun rose the graves were tinged with red.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012, 2:13:18 AM PDT
What a thought! The Anzacs probably would have won the place by their charm. No need for a battle at all. Just imagine them going back to London and saying to the politicians behind their desks, 'Right, Mate, they said we could have this bit and that bit.'

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012, 2:13:28 AM PDT
JJulieJ says:
I asked my hubby what he reckoned was the most impossible book to read. He said, without a doubt, James Joyce's Finnegans Wake. So I've made that required reading in the naughty corner ;-)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012, 2:22:09 AM PDT
Tui Allen says:
Amazing words that never lose their power to comfort. However I do worry when I read words that glorify war. The reality of war is that there is no "glory that shines upon our tears." There is only terror, filth, mud, blood, agony and hunger. So as long as we give our young people a balanced outlook by showing them the true story of war, as well as the glorified versions, then it is okay. I know there is a real place for verses like these in comforting the bereft afterwards. But too much of it without balance and you get young men once again becoming all too eager to race off and dish out death and mayhem to whoever their government has a snitcher on this week. Fortunately there is plenty of good literature that gives real honest insight onto the true horrors of war. All Quiet on the Western Front springs to mind.
It's not about the ANZACs in particular but it is about war, WW1 and an honest view of the reality of war.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012, 2:26:18 AM PDT
I couldn't understand how it was rated at 38 in the listings for Australia.
I'm just back from marching with my 91 yr old father in the march in the city. My son was the banner bearer and did a great job in the wind.
My 6.5 day old grandson and his mother joined us at lunch.
I always wear sunnies so my tears can't be seen. It's a very moving experience.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012, 2:26:34 AM PDT
JJulieJ says:
Well said, Tui.

I agree. There is a place for remembrance of those who have given their lives but that remembrance should not be coloured by glory. War is brutal and too many good people die. Unfortunately those people are never the people who start and/or control the war, and often they are innocent civilians.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012, 2:28:59 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 25, 2012, 2:29:34 AM PDT
JJulieJ says:
Sandra, that takes me back to my early teens. I was a Girl Guide, and had the honour of carrying the flag for our troop on a couple of ANZAC day marches. Very moving experiences.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012, 2:29:20 AM PDT
Tears again. Thanks for posting it.
Discussion locked

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
We're Quirky! There Are Various Critters, Including Tail-less Manx Kittens, Here. We Also Have Hugh Manatee. Bring Your Quilting And Sewing Projects, Your Camera, And Your Instant Pot. So Geese And Tally Ho! 4363 7 hours ago
FREE Books & Chat - September 2017 522 7 hours ago
Discounted / Price Dropped Kindle eBooks IV 2802 7 hours ago
kindle fire it sucks and blows 357 7 hours ago
Display Book Title 0 7 hours ago
my old non-amazon .MOBI books only show up in Docs 5 7 hours ago
No "Send-to-Kindle E-mail Address" for Fire 19 7 hours ago
My Kindle is frozen and won't reset or turn off. 151 7 hours ago
New Fire HD 10 tablets - Oct 2017 23 8 hours ago
App keeps hanging and crashing while trying to read comics. 0 8 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  273
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Dec 15, 2011
Latest post:  Jun 7, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 25 customers