Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer power_s3 power_s3 power_s3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

FREE Books & Chat Wed. Nov. 14, 2012

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 76-100 of 160 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 11:01:51 AM PST
I have them all in beautiful old hardcovers:) My Granny loved them, but I never knew the author died in childbirth! I'll have to do some googling:)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 11:09:04 AM PST
I don't know if anyone answered this yet (I'm just catching up), but shortly after the current book discussion ends (this time on Leo's book on Thursday Dec 7) a new thread is opened titled something like FB&C- Book Discussion Nominations and Voting (with date of next discussion) and posters are allowed/encouraged to nominate 3 books they would like to see discussed next. Nominations are usually open for 24-25 hours then closed.

The nomination gatherer/vote counter this time and for Jan-March is Courtney. She will then compile a list of a reasonable amount of books usually 15ish books selected from posters suggestions and post those titles for voting on. I believe we decided this time that posters could choose a first and second choice book and Courtney would award first pick 2 points, second pick 1 point. She would then add them up and announce the winner in that thread and over here in that days thread.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 11:09:40 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 14, 2012 11:13:48 AM PST
Good morning/ afternoon/ evening everyone. I hope it is a good day for you all. I just caught up on all the posts and haven't had a chance to check the links, but ....

@bethcross
Thank you for posting Stop the Wedding! (a romantic comedy). I am a huge fan of Stephanie Bond books and was excited to find another of her freebies!

@Courtney
Thank you for starting us out today!

@Northern Lights
So good to see you back! We missed you....

@4Nbahu
I'm glad for your sake that Diwali is over and you have a bit of rest until the next celebration!

Regarding your question, I recently ordered a Paperwhite for my oldest son (26). He is a voracious reader and although he loves DBT's he is running out of room to store all his books. I think he will love this Kindle and the ebooks that I will include to get him started. I'm sure you mother-in-law will be thrilled to receive her Fire for Christmas. ;~)

@new mom
Many of us here were able to pick up ** NOT FREE Our Husband (a humorous romantic mystery) NOT FREE ** when it was free in July and everyone loved it. Since you enjoy Stephanie Bond's books I recommend you put this one on your wish list for the next time it is free.

@ReaderKat
Welcome back! I'm so happy to hear that your surgery went well and you are recovering so quickly. ;-)

I'll be back later with my picks for the day.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 11:11:45 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 14, 2012 11:21:35 AM PST
Courtney says:
Daddy-Long-Legs I love this book. I have the DT version and it is so tattered! Thank you for posting that it was out there! I didn't even think to look.
This was mentioned as well:
Children of the FogYOU HAVE 10 SECONDS TO MAKE A DECISION: Let A Kidnapper Take Your Child, Or Watch Your Son Die. Choose!
I read it. I enjoyed it. The first 80% of the book was slightly disjointed from the last 20% which spoiled it a little for me. But overall, it was a good read.

Glad he enjoyed the book Zoo. DH hasn't had any interest in any of the free books I've picked up. Sunday he suddenly goes: Hey, why can't I get this one? I laughed so hard! He didn't care that I loaned it, just moved on to something else. I couldn't believe he suddenly took an interest in "my books". (Besides complaining about how his carousel gets filled up with nonsense).

Zoo: epub's are usually the better format. A PDF can be sent to the Kindle Fire and read just fine. IDK about any other kindles. There is also a great program out there called Calibre. It's free! And it will convert from other formats to the Kindle format. If you go that direction, definitely get the epub format. It converts better.
ETA: If the book is DRM my suggestions do not apply. I forgot about that pesky thing!

RTF is Rich Text Format. It's really no better than a word doc. In fact, you can save your word docs as RTF's if you were so inclined. I do buy ebooks from other places than just Ammy and sideload. There are reputable sites out there.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 11:13:00 AM PST
ReaderKat- I'm happy to hear that all went well and you are on the mend. Thanks for taking the time to update us :-)...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 11:17:07 AM PST
@ bethcross- Sometimes I think we shop in the same places lol. I too had all of those books but Haunting Refrain and I just grabbed it.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 11:24:08 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 14, 2012 3:36:35 PM PST
Courtney says:
@SDR Marla: Yep. That's the plan on nominations (voting et al). I posted Saturday Dec. 8 for nominations, since I'll leave it open from about 930pm EST Fri to 930-10pm EST Saturday. So most postings will probably happen on Saturday.

Fixed Friday to Saturday. Apparently I can't read a calendar with a toddler on my lap.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 11:42:39 AM PST
I guess I missed The Grimm Curse (NOT FREE NOW) Bummer, looks good! I'm gonna have to keep watch for it to be free again.

@4Nbahu - get some rest!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 11:43:00 AM PST
Leo Little says:
Just a note here Dec 7th falls on a Friday this year...lol

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 11:54:39 AM PST
robb says:
I understand the getting together after a discussion and nominating a new title.

Again, I was not part of the old discussion group, but how would I know to possibly download a book in case it gets selected? If it is mentioned more than once? Sorry to be so dense. It must be all the blue clouds out today.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 12:00:25 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 14, 2012 12:02:25 PM PST
bethcross says:
Holy schmoly Batman! I was just updating my Word document with all my new books
(yes, I'm a total geek, I know. . .) and I came across this:

NOT FREE!!!!! The Joy Fielding Collection #1 (Still Life, The Wild Zone, and Now You See Her) NOT FREE!!!!!!!

It downloaded yesterday into my archives. I vaguely remembered somebody pointing it out somewhere I think as a free pre-order. I remember, vaguely, thinking, eh - not my thing - but what the heck, so I must've clicked and forgotten.

Check out the price tag on that sucker today!
And mine clearly says $0.00!!!!!!

I NEVER would pay that much - so thanks to whomever it was pointed that out in the murky distant past. . .

ETA - no wonder I don't remember - that was in the dark first couple months of my husband's departure. End of July. *sigh* Oh well, at least I was alive enough to vaguely recognize a deal even then. . .

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 12:07:39 PM PST
TerryInTexas says:
@charlie and @beth
Loaners available - just let me know -

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 12:10:32 PM PST
bethcross says:
@Terry - I've got the first one, hon. The second one hasn't dropped yet, and I still have to actually READ the first one, lol!!

Let Charlie-bird use your loan - but thanks for the offer anyway!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 12:11:56 PM PST
I think that was a major problem in the old discussion group, Robb - not everyone having the book. If someone sees a book that is free now that they are thinking of nominating it would be nice to know in advance. I just downloaded the dolphin book even though it doesn't sound like anything I would normally read on the off chance that it will be nominated and I think people used to do that a lot.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 12:18:04 PM PST
Suze says:
@ OregonFiddler

I just got the dolphin book too for the same reasonRipple - A Dolphin Love Story

It's a good idea to mention free books that people are thinking of nominating, like Robb did with this one....thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 12:20:05 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 14, 2012 12:25:06 PM PST
Robb- It's kind of a crap shoot as to whether you have the book in your collection or not. There is no way everyone could take every book that folks are thinking of nominating because at the start of the month you might be considering these 3, the middle of the month 2 may have dropped from your personal considered nomination list because these other 2 have since come out and sound really good. By the time nominations have rolled around you may have changed your mind and put up 3 completely different books. Also we can't tell what books some of the quieter of us may be considering or even end up nominating. Do you even want to try to download all of those?

That's why sometimes folks have to either bow out of a discussion or purchase a no longer free book if they wish to participate. I've even skipped a couple because the book selected was just not one I wanted to read. I don't know of any way around this, but in the past we have been lucky that around a quarter of the nominated books were available for free on the day nominations began (maybe fresher in posters minds) and probably another 1/3rd of the remainder were books that many, many people posted that they had taken when they were free.

That's why I don't mind seeing book links posted several times when they are available instead of folks trying so hard not to duplicate someone elses picks. Books that many have taken are more apt to go up for nomination because many of us do have them. When I see a book mentioned often for me it is a clue to take it if it is at all a book I'd read, just in case.

Hope that helps???

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 12:20:34 PM PST
bethcross says:
I see my DV Fairy has come out to play today.

Oh well - I have really upsetting things in my life and some really nice things, too. The people on this board being one of those latter things that helped me get through the worst summer of my life.

Go away, little DV fairy, no one wants to play with you today. . .

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 12:23:33 PM PST
Suze says:
@ LOB

I got my first Stephanie Bond book.....Stop the Wedding! (a romantic comedy). Thanks for mentioning you like her. That's what really calls these books to my attention!

How was physical therapy? Is that related to your fall?

Also, I liked your idea yesterday about buying All the boys a toy for Christmas! Let me know what you come up with this year, ok?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 12:27:04 PM PST
robb says:
@ORFiddler
I accidentally clicked on profile instead of reply to. I like your picture.

A lot of people did that with Leo's book. I just want to have a clue which books to download. I can see myself a month or two down the road going, "Self, why on earth did you download that book?" Or " May be someone else did it so it is not your fault." :)

On second thought - I already say something like, "What drug was I on when I thought downloading this book was a good idea?"

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 12:31:27 PM PST
robb says:
I gotta say I rarely notice dv or uv on this thread any more. It is definitely a weapon on other threads.

I normally like fairies but dv ones just need to go play in some other sandbox that appreciates them.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 12:32:11 PM PST
S. King says:
Oh man.. the book "Splitting Images" that was offered free a few days ago should have some sort of warning about explicit romantic(?) scenes and language. The plot of the story is interesting, but this could be a big turn-off for some readers. Just wanted to forewarn any unsuspecting person who might be planning to read. Sheesh- I had gotten about 28% through and then WHAM!! Anyway. Thank you for the heads up about Ripple - A Dolphin Love Story as it looks interesting. I have discovered that I have become a lot more discerning about what I read on my kindle. When I used to pick out DTB's, I would force myself to read the entire thing, even if I didn't like it. Now? I don't even have a glimmer of guilt when I tap that "remove from device" option. Might save me time, too. ;) I hope people are enjoying their day/evening/night and I am happy to notice that some of the postings are from names I remember from last year, but haven't seen around for a while.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 12:36:12 PM PST
kajola says:
Bethcross, I got that one for free on pre-order also. But my order date was May 12th. I had forgotten all about it. That was quite a bargain!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 12:41:09 PM PST
kajola says:
Yes, sometimes I don't have the book that ends up the choice for the book discussion. When this happens I put it on my wish list and sometimes it comes up free again before it is too late. One or two I think I picked up for free after they were discussed, but I got them and read them anyway. This has been a good way to read a variety of books that I may not have read otherwise.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 12:42:24 PM PST
Josie says:
@ bethcross - The other books in the Hansen series were free last May. That is when I picked up four of them. I am not sure how many are in the series, though.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 12:43:20 PM PST
Thanks Robb. My granddaughters are my life.

LOL re: "What drug was I on when I thought downloading this book was a good idea?" Been there, done that.

@Bethcross
Try not to notice the voting. I'm pretty sure no one who is a regular on this thread is doing any DV'ing.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  45
Total posts:  160
Initial post:  Nov 13, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 16, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions