Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New Album by Foo Fighters PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now ToyHW17_gno
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

nexus 7 tablet

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 101-125 of 174 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jul 19, 2012, 5:23:48 PM PDT
Hi Larry, after phone call to FedEx and an update to their tracking afterwards my N7 is with driver for delivery today.

It was marked for delivery Monday 23rd July. Thank God I asked them because they informed me that Google had requested they do no deliveries on a Monday. It was that FedEx had not changed their web site tracking to show this yet. LOL Spare me!

It was something even the FedEx rep couldn't fathom. Something to do with the volume of traffic on Mondays. Scratches head!

Google needs to learn something from Amazon in dealing with such demographics.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 19, 2012, 5:49:51 PM PDT
@Pete Down Under: Alright! Bypass the bureaucracy lota luck, let us know :) I thought Down Under had a holiday somewhere.

Posted on Jul 19, 2012, 7:48:22 PM PDT
Jake Johnson says:
I want a Nexus 7

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 19, 2012, 9:00:30 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 19, 2012, 9:02:07 PM PDT
Larry, the nexus 7 arrived about 90 minutes ago and sure beats any other Android device I currently own. The closest to it would be the HTC cell but even that is a long way off.

Not possible to compare it with the Fire but I would imagine it would shoot (Fire) it out of the water.

This may be a good thing for when Amazon release/design/announce the next model Fire as they will have something to match up to or even better.

The N7 is on charge at the moment but managed a few things on it first. It came with the Kindle app and that has already been registered and tried out. No problems at all with it.

It was confirmed by others down here that Google did instruct FedEx not to deliver on Mondays. Still scratching my head on that silly idea.

Although one buyer who contacted FedEx was told that some areas of Melbourne were covered by a sub contractor and they had not been told to hold Monday shipping.So if they pick it up before Monday all will be okay.

This promises to be a great little device and will report back if I discover any glaring faults.

Cheers

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 19, 2012, 9:45:27 PM PDT
musicmomma says:
My son received his Nexus 7 last week Tuesday. He really likes it especially the gaming ability that the Fire doesn't have. He still uses his Kindle Keyboard for reading.

I still have my Fire and won't give it up. I do play games on it but not the action games. I am not good at them and my character dies right away.

I guess it depends on what you prefer in a tablet. My son likes both but perfers the Nexus 7 for the gaming. I perfer the Fire.

Posted on Jul 19, 2012, 10:26:14 PM PDT
G. Rascon says:
I downloaded a background app at the play store. its got hundreds to choose from, and what clock looked good for the home page. and it feels great in the hand, not heavy. I'll probably be up all night messing with it:) it would be nice if the new kindle fire could have jelly bean, but we'll see

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 19, 2012, 10:52:04 PM PDT
What was your background app called please?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 19, 2012, 11:39:46 PM PDT
G. Rascon says:
its called "picspeed wallpaper". lots to choose from

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 19, 2012, 11:55:44 PM PDT
Thanks. I went through heaps and settled on a live beach scene one to remind me of summer. LOL

Posted on Jul 20, 2012, 12:01:16 AM PDT
G. Rascon says:
very nice:)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 20, 2012, 5:38:33 AM PDT
Why? Who knows what problems are associated with it. I remember the can of worms that accompanied the Fire. Wait, and see how it washes out after a month of use and the reviews about it's reliability.

Posted on Jul 20, 2012, 6:10:32 AM PDT
B, there's an entire tech culture of early adopters of new devices such as the N7, who want to have the latest and greatest gadgets. We like to play around with them, expect bugs and are prepared to deal with them. It's through our feedback that the bugs get worked out and the general consumer market gets a better product.

There's no question that the N7 is a great new toy with a ton of impressive new features, including the newest android 4.1 jelly bean operating system, but it will have bugs and isn't necessarily ready for prime time. So, yes, over the next month or two early adopters will write a number of reviews and provide helpful feedback. General consumers may be well advised to wait a month or two "and see how it washes out", as well as seeing what Amazon will do with their new Kindle product lines which will almost certianly be launched within this time preiod. The N7 has set the bar pretty high for 7" tablets and Amazon needs to rise to the challenge if it wants to remain competitive. The problem may be that Amazon was so far into development of the Fire 2 before the N7 came out that it may not be able to make significant changes without major delays in launching the Fire 2.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 20, 2012, 6:20:33 AM PDT
Well said, B.

Posted on Jul 20, 2012, 3:08:03 PM PDT
JHW says:
I have a Nexus 7 and had a Kindle Fire. Both are good systems but since I game ALOT on them I wanted more space. I love the fact that I can buy one app and it will work on my cell and my Nexus. Im not stuck with buying Kindle Fire Editions that dont run on my phone. Right now the fire has more gameloft games but the Nexus is doing just fine with regards to games. I love being able to multitask. Sometimes I cant believe how many apps are running flawlessly in the background. I missed my prime videos until I downloaded the Fire Fox Beta and flash and now they work again on the Nexus 7. Its a bit wonky compared to the fire's presetation of Prime videos but once its in full screen mode it works good enough.
Overall I would say both are the better Android Tablets on the market. The Nexus is better suited for me but those who dont play with Android alot might prefer the Fire since it is a bit more simple to use. Unless your using the Google voice search feature. Thats as simple and fun as it gets. It makes my Gen one Ipad cry.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 20, 2012, 3:18:17 PM PDT
G. Rascon says:
I just read online that gameloft are going to make many of their apps compatible for the nexus 7. I've noticed that many of the big app developers are rushing to make their apps compatible. I was hoping that would happen. I also game alot, and owning the kindle fire for that became frustrating. I know what you mean about the google voice feature, it makes siri sound so robotic.

Posted on Jul 20, 2012, 3:27:46 PM PDT
Get quicker access to Google Now. While there's no press-and-hold button to get to Google Now, you can swipe up from the bottom center of any screen to immediately head to the Google Now screen.

Voice activate search. Once the Google Now screen is open, if it's too onerous to tap the microphone button to speak a command, you can just say "Google" and the Google voice search input screen appears.

http://blogs.computerworld.com/mobile-and-wireless/20711/12-tips-using-google-nexus-7-tablet

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 20, 2012, 3:30:49 PM PDT
JHW says:
I hope so. That was my biggest disappointment with the Nexus so far. If Gameloft fixes their games I will be happy. They fixed Nova 3 after the first 2 days so I know they are looking at making it work on the Nexus 7.

Posted on Jul 20, 2012, 4:02:17 PM PDT
I don't think you get a free app every day like you do with the Kindle Fire and most of the apps I'd like to see on the Fire are not on Android either. Like Lifetopix and Cox TV Connect which my daughter has on her Ipad. Both are very neat apps I'd like to see become available on the Fire. I find I use my Fire most for the following things: Tweeting, Games, Reading free library books and occasionally watching a movie on HBO GO or Netflix. I am a disabled senior, on a fixed income, so can't afford to purchase prime of other offers from Amazon, but I do enjoy what I'm able to have for free!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 20, 2012, 6:25:47 PM PDT
FYI - I have received another shipping notice. The tracking number remains the same, showing the 16th as the delivery date. Does not look like a 1 day shipping. So, maybe I'll have it by Tuesday.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 20, 2012, 7:44:47 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 20, 2012, 7:48:12 PM PDT
JHW says:
Veronica the free apps are for anyone with the Amazon app store on their device. It works with cells, tablets, whatever. I do like Amazon's app store alot.
Try the Flixster, CW and many of the other network apps. They tend to be free (flixster movies come when you buy new blurays most of the time these days) and you can watch alot of shows for free on your Fire. I hope this helps.
PS Noticed The Dark Knight on the Play today for the Nexus. Fun game but a bit large.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 21, 2012, 1:56:09 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jul 21, 2012, 1:57:12 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 21, 2012, 1:57:06 AM PDT
so, you're saying that ANYONE with an Android product can get the Amazon free app per day? Didn't know that!

Posted on Jul 21, 2012, 4:34:10 AM PDT
SeaLevel274 says:
When will the Nexus 8 be released?

Someone had to ask... ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 21, 2012, 5:43:06 AM PDT
R. D. Clark says:
The Amazon Android App Store and the daily free app existed before the Fire was ever even announced. You do need to own an Android device and install the Amazon App Store on it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 21, 2012, 6:51:15 AM PDT
J. Gatie says:
Yes, just search for Amazon App Store at Google Play Store, download the Amazon app, and then you can shop Amazon's app store just like on the
Fire.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
We're Quirky! There Are Various Critters, Including Tail-less Manx Kittens, Here. We Also Have Hugh Manatee. Bring Your Quilting And Sewing Projects, Your Camera, And Your Instant Pot. So Geese And Tally Ho! 4368 7 hours ago
kindle fire it sucks and blows 362 7 hours ago
Elephants Three at The Ģrandest Hotel - Part IV 6594 7 hours ago
Kindle app suggestions 41 7 hours ago
88th Raok - roads? Where we're going we don't need roads! 2115 7 hours ago
cant choose video player 0 7 hours ago
KINDLE KITCHEN #6: A place for sharing, caring, chat and FUN! 9139 7 hours ago
Freebie Books - Links Only - No Self Promotion IV 9867 7 hours ago
Display Book Title 1 8 hours ago
my kindle keeps shutting off during use. 170 8 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  56
Total posts:  174
Initial post:  Jun 27, 2012
Latest post:  Oct 2, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 9 customers