Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

E-Book Prices

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 358 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 13, 2012, 3:04:05 PM PDT
MaryMR says:
Well, I've really slowed down my purchasing. The prices are getting worse, not better. Even books published 10 years ago are showing prices well over what they should be: a 2003, novel is showing $11.99. I'm so sorry this is happening; the publishers must be trying to put e-books out of existence.

Posted on Apr 13, 2012, 3:09:45 PM PDT
no offense, but, do you live under a rock?
--this has been going on for two years, people have been commenting on it here on a daily basis.
--The Justice Department has sued the publishers (and Apple) for price-fixing.
--Many posts in the last couple of days about how this may lead to lower prices.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 13, 2012, 3:12:35 PM PDT
MaryMR says:
Hi W Holt: I knew about the lawsuit and did a search on "prices" so I could join a discussion but nothing came up so I began this one. I have been finding books, even newer ones, at "reasonable" prices (I know that if a book is new I'll pay a higher price even for the digital book just because it's new), but I had begun noticing even old books with prices much higher than expected. I can kill this thread if there is another one. Just give the title of it so I can find it. Thanks.

Posted on Apr 13, 2012, 3:15:28 PM PDT
Cleosmom says:
I wouldn't count on them lowering the prices too much. Since e-books are very popular, and have less overhead, the publishers will mark them up to make the most from falling print sales.

You should look for used bookstores for older books..many times you can get them far cheaper, even with shipping, then purchasing the e-book component.

Posted on Apr 13, 2012, 3:16:44 PM PDT
"DOJ may not win their case"
"Big-six publishers refuse to sign contract"
and those are just 2 from my "recently viewed" box.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 13, 2012, 3:17:00 PM PDT
Dragi Raos says:
MMR, has the book from 2003 become stale like leftover bread half an hour before closing of a grocery, so should be sold at discount?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 13, 2012, 3:17:48 PM PDT
Dragi Raos says:
Three of those six have already settled.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 13, 2012, 3:18:48 PM PDT
I knew, I was just trying to help the OP find some threads.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 13, 2012, 3:20:32 PM PDT
Cleosmom says:
Can you link it?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 13, 2012, 3:22:01 PM PDT
BTW, if I search "e-book prices" I get over 4,000 hits. You have to UNCLICK the "search only this discussion" box (poorly design, IMHO)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 13, 2012, 3:22:19 PM PDT
Dragi Raos says:
Ah. Sorry.

Posted on Apr 13, 2012, 3:23:55 PM PDT
Dragi Raos says:
For overview of e-book prices and historical trends of them, see excellent Bufo Calvin's blog:

http://ilmk.wordpress.com/category/analysis/

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 13, 2012, 3:24:09 PM PDT
MaryMR says:
Nah, it's a very popular series containing about 20 titles. The first one was $7.99, very reasonable and comparable to a new paperback, but the second one in the series, dating back to 2003, is $11.99. Go figure...

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 13, 2012, 3:25:16 PM PDT
Dragi,

You totally make me laugh, but how 'bout some place in the middle...like the half-price Easter chocolate that's still delicious, but its full-price sell by time has come and gone?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 13, 2012, 3:27:04 PM PDT
Dragi Raos says:
:o))

Well, if it sells at the full price, why lower it?

Posted on Apr 13, 2012, 4:46:24 PM PDT
MMR, when you do a search, be sure to uncheck the "search only this discussion" box, otherwise you won't get any results. I sure wish Amazon would default that to unchecked. There have been hundreds of price discussions over the years, believe me, you would have found them!

Personally, I don't care about the lawsuit because I quit buying Big 6 books when they implemented the agency model. I switched to indies, free books, and the monthly sales. I have over 6,000 ebooks in my archives and never miss the traditional best seller stuff. I haven't paid more than $5 for an ebook since and usually not more than $2.99. Indie authors also include established authors who self-publish their backlists for affordable prices. I've discovered lots of gems among them.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 13, 2012, 4:49:30 PM PDT
R. Wilde says:
If you search from within a thread, the box is "search only this discussion"; if you search from the board, it's "search only this forum".

Searching has a LOT of problems IMO, but I kind of like that box. :)

Posted on Apr 13, 2012, 5:01:53 PM PDT
From the cnet article on http://m.cnet.com/Article.rbml?nid=57412587&cid=null&bcid=&bid=-93

There's a perception among consumers that an e-book should cost very little or next to nothing because there is no paper, printing, and shipping involved.

But in fact, for a new best-selling hardcover, all of the costs associated with print, from the printing to the shipping to the distribution to the warehousing to returns, amount to a mere few dollars per copy, depending on the size of the print run.

The vast majority of a publisher's costs come from expenses that still exist in an e-book world: Author advances, design, marketing, publicity, office space, and staff.

Posted on Apr 13, 2012, 5:13:43 PM PDT
Also add in books written before digital world someone has to manually scan every page one at a time then run it thru a program that takes the words into a file. Now someone has to review every word to make sure an m isn't seen as r n or d as cl etc. It happens often. One romance author was horrified to learn that a checker missed an error that totally changed a scene. In it after they had an intimate moment he shifted on the bed. The conversion program saw the f in shift as another t. I'm not gonna retype that because well its not allowed on the forum. It changed the whole scene. Spell check missed it cause it was spelled right. Its no wonder that older books are more expensive.

Posted on Apr 13, 2012, 6:18:08 PM PDT
AC Sue says:
>> Also add in books written before digital world someone has to manually scan every page one at a time then run it thru a program that takes the words into a file <<

People often mention that, but I think the cost is far less than publishers would have you believe.

Even if the publishers are still living in their fondly remembered past, they must at least have heard about about the existence of automated scanners, and software that can do some preliminary editing and formatting.

Proofreading may require an actual person, but it is just that, proofreading; any higher-level editing should have been done when the original book was published (and was probably more extensive than is commonly done now for new books).

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 13, 2012, 6:28:10 PM PDT
BareThoughts says:
I never could understand why people think that just because a fiction book is older is should somehow be cheaper, especially if it is "new" in ebook format.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 13, 2012, 6:49:22 PM PDT
R. Wilde says:
Depends on the book. If it's selling okay at a "new" price, then that's one thing. There are a lot of older mass market fantasy and science fiction books that I'd probably buy if they were discounted more. I'm not talking classics here, I mean things like some Star Trek and Forgotten Realms novels that I read 20 years ago and wouldn't mind having on my Kindle for "comfort reading".

At some point, the market for the "new" price dries up, but there may still be a market for discounted prices. That's really up to the seller (under the Agency model, the publisher) to take advantage of, though.

Posted on Apr 13, 2012, 8:01:06 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 13, 2012, 8:02:54 PM PDT
The best solution i've found is library lending. The trick? Just transfer the books by the USB cable and don't use wireless. As long as you dont delete the books manually from your device they'll stay there undefinitely, but still they will return back to the library. I have around 200 books this way already... Completely free of charge.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 13, 2012, 8:47:48 PM PDT
flipoid says:
And as soon as you turn on your wireless, Renato, they will disappear.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 13, 2012, 8:56:33 PM PDT
R. says:
"People often mention that, but I think the cost is far less than publishers would have you believe."

That may be, but I think it is more costly and time-intensive than many seem to think. Otherwise, I think there would be a lot more older titles available.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 15 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
How to change to black background and white letters? 96 7 hours ago
audible narration 3 7 hours ago
SwagBucks Thread 2016 2613 7 hours ago
We're Quirky! There Are Various Critters, Including Tail-less Manx Kittens, Here. We Also Have Hugh Manatee. Bring Your Quilting And Sewing Projects, Your Camera, And Your Instant Pot. So Geese And Tally Ho! 4381 7 hours ago
Discounted / Price Dropped Kindle eBooks IV 2808 7 hours ago
FREE Books & Chat - September 2017 528 7 hours ago
Amazon Echo (Part 2) 704 8 hours ago
88th Raok - roads? Where we're going we don't need roads! 2119 8 hours ago
Amazon hacked?? Copy of my email.... 694 8 hours ago
New Fire HD 10 tablets - Oct 2017 24 8 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  83
Total posts:  358
Initial post:  Apr 13, 2012
Latest post:  Apr 27, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers