Your Garage Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Question with losing page on Kindle

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-17 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 12, 2010, 1:38:35 PM PDT
Kindle Girl says:
Every now and then, I will be in a middle of a book on my Kindle and when I go to get back on, it will be back at the beginning or enough chapters back that it is hard to get back to where I had ended. When I do the sync to the last page, it never works. Does anyone else have this problem? If so, what do you do?

Posted on Apr 12, 2010, 1:46:25 PM PDT
Drakustal says:
@Kindle Girl to my understanding "sync to last page" only works if your wireless is on. As for losing my page it happens from time to time when I grab my kindle before it falls to sleep and am not careful where I'm grabbing it...in those cases it is my own carelessness that causes me to accidentally press the wrong keys....mostly I tend to go forward pages though and I just patiently backpage til I'm were I left off...it's better than when I drop a DTB and have to find out were I was and usually I'm smart enough to remember to be careful til he goes to sleep.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2010, 1:50:52 PM PDT
Kindle Girl says:
I wonder if it is something I am doing. The funny thing is that it goes back to the first chapter. I just wish I could figure out what I'm doing because it drives me crazy. I have learned to search for a word that I remember was on that page, but that doesn't always work either. But, I still love my Kindle and it is better than when I used to lose my page in paper books all the time.

Posted on Apr 12, 2010, 1:51:17 PM PDT
W.W.D.H.G. says:
There are some books on kindle that you can use the 5-way controller to skip chapter. If on these books, when someone leaves them it may be possible that person leaves the controller either pressed backwards or forwards thus either skipping in either direction. Or it could be possible that your kindle keeps resetting itself. I think if you did not have the wireless on when it resets itself the kindle goes back to the location the book was on when you last had your wireless on.

Posted on Apr 12, 2010, 1:54:39 PM PDT
I've seen it mentioned here that going back to your Home page while taking a break from the book you're reading will prevent this from happening. I've not experienced it myself, but I do tend to go Home before putting my K2 down for a break.

Posted on Apr 12, 2010, 1:55:51 PM PDT
Make sure you aren't turning the Kindle off. It has to have a chance to save the last page read, and if you turn it off, rather than putting it to sleep, it can't.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2010, 1:57:14 PM PDT
Kindle Girl says:
I hardly ever turn my Kindle off unless I know I'm not going to be reading for a few days. I probably should turn it off more often.

Thank you!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2010, 1:59:43 PM PDT
There is no need to turn it off unless you're not going to be using it for a week or more. It's more battery efficient to let it sleep, and it won't suffer any ill effects from doing so.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2010, 2:07:36 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 12, 2010, 2:29:12 PM PDT
ShirleyKat says:
Kindle Girl, there are some books that cause problems for Kindle. If you want to increase the chance that you'll get back to the spot where you were last reading, press Home before you walk away. You might want to try it out first. Either note your current location or set a bookmark. Then press Home, put it to sleep, then turn it back on and open the book. Does that make a difference?

If it doesn't, then to go back to where you were reading, either go to the location you noted or go to the bookmark you set. It might just be that book.

Posted on Apr 12, 2010, 2:27:49 PM PDT
LadyH95 says:
I've had the same problem with only certain formats of books (topaz I think). You can usually tell the different format because the font is not as crisp (at least on the books I was having difficulties with). For those books, before I shut down for the night, I would go "Home". Once I started doing that, the Kindle would remember my spot.

Posted on Apr 12, 2010, 8:59:46 PM PDT
Way back last year, the Amazon tech folks posted that the only time the Kindle saves the spot where you left off reading is a) when you go to HOME or b) when the Kindle goes to sleep.

So going to HOME first should always save your spot.

I also have seen some folks say that Topaz formatted book can cause a problem. Try opening another book, paging quickly through it, go to Home, then go back to see if it still happens.

Posted on Apr 13, 2010, 5:25:59 AM PDT
Kindy Kat says:
If a particular book is a problem it might also help to bookmark your page as a back-up. I have found this to be helpful.

Posted on Aug 5, 2013, 9:59:33 AM PDT
I recently bought a Kindle Paperwhite. I'm very happy with it except on about three occasions when I turned the page it went straight to an index at the back of the book. This is enough to drive one mad. I'm usually very aware of the percentage of book already read but I cannot see any way to return to this. They need to go back to the drawing board on this one - I never bother looking at "time left" - who knows how long it will take to read and who'd be bothered?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2013, 10:07:49 AM PDT
You may be accidently touching a footnote link. Touch the top of the screen to get the Menu and then hit the back button "<"

Posted on Oct 12, 2013, 5:56:14 PM PDT
Jeffrey Boyd says:
I lose my page at least twice an evening: I expect I'm doing something wrong and will eventually learn to avoid this. However, what is maddening is that, as far as I've discovered, the Kindle provides no way to find the page I was on. It is a crude system in that regard.

Posted on Oct 12, 2013, 6:02:03 PM PDT
Neverafter says:
Whenever that happens, have you tried to just hit the back arrow to go back to where you were before? That usually works if you go off exploring in the book or if you accidentally swipe forward or backward to the next/prev. chapter.

Posted on Oct 14, 2015, 10:56:31 PM PDT
Nancy Wright says:
When reading my Kindle about every third pages I lose a page, what can I do to rectify that?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Discounted / Price Dropped Kindle eBooks IV 2398 4 minutes ago
My kindle paper white has frozen 1 4 minutes ago
88th Raok - roads? Where we're going we don't need roads! 342 9 minutes ago
We're Quirky! There Are Various Critters, Including Tail-less Manx Kittens, Here. We Also Have Hugh Manatee. Bring Your Quilting And Sewing Projects, Your Camera, And Your Instant Pot. So Geese And Tally Ho! 3101 10 minutes ago
KINDLE KITCHEN #6: A place for sharing, caring, chat and FUN! 8105 15 minutes ago
Free Books & Chat July 2017 694 28 minutes ago
Freebie Books - Links Only - No Self Promotion IV 9757 36 minutes ago
How to archive books on the Kindle keyboard 3G 25 1 hour ago
Al's Place 36 Degrees of Separation 4258 1 hour ago
No autocorrect for Kindle notes on the Fire? 1 3 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  14
Total posts:  17
Initial post:  Apr 12, 2010
Latest post:  Oct 14, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers