Your Garage Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning Landline Landline Landline  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Free Books and Chat for Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 31 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 21, 2014, 12:11:49 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 21, 2014, 12:27:26 AM PDT
Welcome to Free Books and Chat for Wednesday, April 30, 2014.

I hope that everybody has a chance to drop by and sit for a spell..
That goes for lurkers as well as our regular posters.. We do LOVE to make new friends.....

Now, down to business....

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

SPECIAL MESSAGE TO AUTHORS

AUTHORS - THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR SELF PROMOTION.

You are welcome to join us for conversation.
However, self-promotion or posting a link to your book in this area is against Amazon's TOS. If you're looking to promote your work, please go to the "Meet Our Authors", many of us check there as well.

.........THANK YOU FOR FOLLOWING THE RULES..............

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

★★ Links To Free Book Resources ★★

Dailyfreebooks:
dailyfreebooks.com

Ereaderiq:
http://ereaderiq.com/freebies/

eReaderPerks:
www.eReaderPerks.com

FreeReadFeed:
freereadfeed.com

You are strongly urged to confirm the price of the book before completing your purchase.
The price displayed on Amazon's website at the time of purchase is the price of the book.

╰❈╮Link to the FB&C Group Cookbook thread:

http://www.amazon.com/forum/cooking/ref=cm_cd_et_md_pl?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx211KPGGBLHNC6&cdMsgID=Mx3TF4806AD6YTU&cdMsgNo=1&cdPage=1&cdSort=oldest&cdThread=TxQUJZ6FYNH8VQ#Mx3TF4806AD6YTU

*.☆。☆。*。*.☆。☆。*。*.☆。☆。*。*.☆。

╰❈╮Birthday and Anniversary / Template / States - abbreviations and time zones / Slang / How To Link:

https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0Bxt8Ey-AsMfIUDZUS3p0SnpqZG8/edit?usp=sharing

°.¸¸.*★°.¸¸.*★°.¸¸.*★°.¸¸.*★°.¸¸.*★°.¸¸.*

Old News.. AKA Yesterdays Thread..
http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle/ref=cm_cd_pg_pg1?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1D7SY3BVSESG&cdPage=1&cdThread=Tx2EQTC04RFC3P

Posted on May 21, 2014, 12:12:16 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 21, 2014, 12:26:27 AM PDT
*¨) ¸.**¨) ¸.**¨*
(¸.*´ ¸.*´*' ~* FB&C Start Schedule:

Robb - Thursday, May 22 start time around 10 pm PT
Robb - Friday, May 23 start time around 10 pm PT
Susan - Saturday, May 24 start time around 10 pm EDT/6 am EDT
Susan - Sunday, May 25 start time around 10 pm EDT/6 am EDT

Open Dates:

Monday, May 26
Tuesday, May 27
Wednesday, May 28
Thursday, May 29
Friday, May 30
Saturday,May 31

╰♥.☆.♥ ╮ NEW THREAD STARTERS ARE ALWAYS WELCOME ╰♥.☆.♥ ╮

Just choose an available day, copy/paste schedule into a post and add your info.

..........╰♥.☆.♥ ╮ We'll help you through it! ╰♥.☆.♥╮..........

Posted on May 21, 2014, 12:13:07 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 21, 2014, 12:25:26 AM PDT
⊱✿ ✿⊰⊹⊱✿ ✿⊰⊹⊱✿ ✿⊰⊹⊱✿ FB&C Book Discussion ⊱✿ ✿⊰⊹⊱✿ ✿⊰⊹⊱✿ ✿⊰⊹⊱✿

The next book discussion is scheduled for Thursday, June 5, 2014 at 6:00pm PT.

The book selected is Beatrice Munson by Lorena Bathey

Unfortunately, it is NOT FREE right now but it is lending enabled.

☆.¸¸.╰♥.☆.♥╮.¸¸.·´¯`☆ .¸¸.╰♥.☆.♥╮.¸¸.·´¯`☆ .¸¸.╰♥.☆.♥╮.¸¸.·´¯`☆ 

Posted on May 21, 2014, 12:17:26 AM PDT
When is National Salad Month? May is always National Salad Month!

Tell me about National Salad Month as a holiday

National Salad Month is a holiday celebrated in the United States during the month of May. The Association for Dressings & Sauces (ADS), welcomes National Salad Month and encourage everyone to be creative when incorporating a salad into your healthy eating regimen. The Association for Dressings & Sauces launched National Salad Month in May of 1992, in response to a 1991 Gallup Poll that revealed that three out of four people eat a tossed salad at least every other day. According to polls, salads taste better with salad dressing.

About ADS
"ADS is an international trade association representing the manufacturers of salad dressings and condiment sauces and the suppliers to the industry." Visit at saladaday.org and dressings-sauces.org to learn more about the nutritional benefits of salads and salad dressings, and to obtain tasty recipes as well as a copy of the brochure, "The Good News About Salad Dressings and Sauces."

Definition of a Salad

The first thing I think of when I hear the word salad is a green salad; like a garden salad made of fresh cold lettuce. But the word salad can means many different types of salads that include fruit or nuts and can even be a dessert salad as well.

Fun Food Facts:

By an astonishing coincidence, the second full week of May is also National Herb Week. Interesting enough, the word "Salad" comes from the Latin "herba salta," which actually means "salted herbs." History tells us that long ago before the fork was invented, they called their salads salted herbs because that's what they were: bits of leafy herbs dressed with salty oils. (flavored oils go way back in history) It seems the Romans weren't the first people to enjoy salad.

*Flavored Oil Recipes

*Flavored Vinegars

Salad is a mixture of cold foods, usually including vegetables or fruits, often with a dressing, occasionally nuts or croutons, and sometimes with the addition of meat, fish, pasta, cheese, or whole grains. Salad is often served as an appetizer before a larger meal or served as the meal itself at lunch time.

Posted on May 21, 2014, 12:20:18 AM PDT
So, in honor of National Salad Month..
Lets share our favorite salad recipes...

I have several so I will post a few through out the day..

Posted on May 21, 2014, 12:29:07 AM PDT
Mo says:
Morning all,

Thanks for the start Sandy, I hope you will relax on your 2nd day off.

I found some freebie cozies this morning:
Devil's Food: A Loretta Kovacs Novel (Book 1) and
Two For Justice (The Leah & Sebastian Reyes Series)

Have a good day all, take care and stay safe.

Mo

Posted on May 21, 2014, 12:41:55 AM PDT
Morning Mo.. Starting is my pleasure..

I don't think we have to worry about me not resting some today..
BUT, I don't want to let things get out of control either..

Have a good day.. I hope the weather is nice across the pond..

Posted on May 21, 2014, 2:30:28 AM PDT
Sally in SA says:
Thank you for starting Sandy. As Red would say, you're an absolute brick for always stepping in when needed.

Posted on May 21, 2014, 4:48:48 AM PDT
Thanks for the start, Sandy! Hope you enjoy your time off.
As for salads, an ingredient I love is a Craisins.

Posted on May 21, 2014, 7:34:15 AM PDT
CZinAZ says:
Bump.

Posted on May 21, 2014, 7:37:29 AM PDT
kajola says:
Sandy - thanks for another great start!

Terrific Tortellini Salad

This salad is terrific because it's great tastin', quick, and can be made as much as 8 hours ahead! The flavors only get better the longer it chills.
Serves: 8
Preparation Time: 2 hr 10 min

What You'll Need:
*2 (14-ounce) packages cheese-filled tortellini
*1 green bell pepper, chopped
*1 red bell pepper, chopped
*1 cucumber, chopped
*1 (14-ounce) can artichoke hearts , rinsed and drained
*1 (8-ounce) bottle Caesar salad dressing
*1 tomato, cut into wedges

What To Do:
1. Prepare tortellini according to package directions; drain. Rinse with cold water; drain.

2. Combine tortellini, peppers, and next 3 ingredients in a large bowl; cover and chill 2 hours.

3. Arrange tomato wedges over salad just before serving.

Posted on May 21, 2014, 8:06:53 AM PDT
WYRudolph says:
Good morning everyone! Thanks for the start Sandy. I am not much of a salad girl so I don't have a recipe to share but I LOVE balsamic vinaigrette on any salad. Come to think of it though, I get a chicken Caesar salad occasionally.

The Match Short Story
In "The Match," Elizabeth thinks that her boyfriend, the detective, may be ready to propose, but when conversation takes an unexpected turn, she must decide how much to reveal about a collection of books and an encounter with the law on a night when life and death hung in the balance. Another captivating short story by acclaimed author Quent Cordair.

FAST: A Military Thriller (The F.A.S.T. Series Book 1) Thriller
WARNING: This book is not recommended for people with heart conditions, those taking anti-anxiety medications, or people easily repulsed by ghastly levels of (purely necessary) violence and mayhem. Read at your own risk. The author takes no responsibility for nightmares, mental anxieties or phobias resulting from this book.

For everyone else, buckle-up because:
THOUSANDS are dying inside.
HIDDEN under the burning Arizona desert is the grandest `Science-City' ever created, and all hell is breaking loose. Using stolen genetic research, terrorists are unleashing a devastating attack on the civilian scientists, on their families, on their children. No one is spared.
BARELY one hundred and fifty souls survive the first seven minutes. Injured and wounded, limping or carried, they are frantically battling from minute to minute for their very lives. The odds are stacked against them, but one thing is in their favor.
CAPTAIN Alexander Coleman is just minutes away, and he's not coming alone. He commands a full platoon of Special Forces Marines. His estranged wife, Vanessa, and eight year old son, David, might still be alive in the besieged underground complex. The chance they both survived is slim, but that's more than enough.
PURE HORROR awaits him, and a frantic race to control the most devastating weapons of mass-destruction ever created: Living weapons.
BUT ABOVE ALL, more important than anything else, Captain Alexander Coleman must save his family.

Special note: FAST has an active table of contents, is approximately 100,000 words, and displays seamlessly with Kindles and all other eBook reading devices.

Posted on May 21, 2014, 10:17:33 AM PDT
Good morning all :) Thank you for the start, Sandy, I hope you enjoy your day off.

Some book picks today:
Death to Bankers - Simon Leighton-Porter - Contemporary Fiction
Living It Up, Living It Down - Norma Curtis - Contemporary Romance
Forbidden Love - Latasha McLaughlin - Historical Fiction
The Bone Church: A Novel - Victoria Dougherty - Historical Fiction
Passion and Principle - Patricia McLaine - Historical Romance
Naked Fear (Sitka Annie Thrillers) - Richard Newell Smith - Mystery/Thriller/Suspense
The Blade of Silence (Fang Mu (Eastern Crimes)) - Mi Lei - Mystery/Thriller/Suspense
The Cast Of A Stone - Avril Borthiry - Historical Fiction
Dragonfly: A Novel - Ronnell D. Porter - Mystery/Thriller/Suspense
The Enchanted Corridor - Jody Ren - Contemporary Romance

Posted on May 21, 2014, 10:19:18 AM PDT
My first salad post for today..

Cucumber Salad....

Cucumbers
Tomatoes
Onions

Slice and then quarter the cucumbers
Dice the tomatoes (not to small, bite size)
Chop the onion. You can use any type... red onion is colorful green onion is easy..
Combine in a bowl and then toss will either Ranch or Italian Dressing....

You can use as little or as much of each as you want..
depending on how big or small you want the salad to be.

Posted on May 21, 2014, 10:20:28 AM PDT
JoJoPNW says:
Sandy
Thx for starting today.It sounds like you're going to have a busy day off.

Sally
(From yesterday's thread) Yes, I watched The Voice. Pretty exciting, altho I was surprised at the winner. I thought for sure that Christina would win.

Chipmunks Tug on Strawberry
http://cheezburger.com/8189140736?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+DailySquee+%28Daily+Squee%29

And from yesterday's thread:
I just saw this on the news:
Bear Cub Rescued from Highway by Its Mother (in the Kootenay region of my province of British Columbia)
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newsvideo/weirdnewsvideo/10844543/Mother-bear-rescues-baby-bear.html

Posted on May 21, 2014, 11:53:25 AM PDT
Did you all see this?

VIDEO: Talk about going above and beyond the call of duty! Two Georgia Police Officers responded to a shoplifting complaint, but when they got to the scene, they got a whole lot more than they bargained for. The couple they arrested had allegedly left two crying infants with messy diapers in the car. Both officers are fathers and said more than their police training, instincts kicked in. Another officer on the scene snapped this photo of the officer with one of the babies, and it immediately went viral - racking up thousands of likes on Facebook! http://bit.ly/1fbfC7Z

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2014, 12:12:49 PM PDT
kajola says:
This is how we always made cucumber salad:

2 cucumbers, peeled and thinly sliced crosswise
1 small red onion, sliced thinly
2 tbls. sugar
4 tbls. apple cider vinegar
2 tbls. sour cream (or mayonnaise)
salt & pepper to taste

Place cucumbers in a strainer and let drain
Mix sugar, vinegar, and mayo together
add salt & pepper to taste
Put cucumbers and onions in bowl
Add dressing and blend
Chill

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2014, 12:31:06 PM PDT
mom used to make it without the mayo...

Posted on May 21, 2014, 2:01:38 PM PDT
WYRudolph says:
I used to love my Aunt's cucumber salad! Thanks for the recipe, I will have to make it this summer. :)

The BBQ & Outdoor Grilling Cookbook: 110 Recipes for Everything from Appetizers to Desserts Cooking
It starts with a serene sizzle that sends an intoxicating aroma wafting through the air in smoky, cirrus-cloud wisps. The simple act of grilling outdoors creates a sensory magic few can resist.

Steaks, burgers, chicken, fish, and vegetables transform into flavor-drenched food like nothing you produce in your housebound kitchen. Maybe it's the open-air, blue-sky, backyard atmosphere. Maybe it's the satisfying pop-tsst of a newly opened can of beer or soda that helps set the mood. Maybe it's the laid-back attitude that a cook adopts when grilling.

The BBQ & Outdoor Grilling Cookbook: 110 Recipes for Everything from Appetizers to Desserts contains recipes, tips, and grate guidelines to whisk your away to lazy summer days full of satisfying sighs. Inside this book are recipes for irresistible seasoned steaks, marinated chicken, and herb-touched seafood. Sauces, toppers, and side dishes are included, too.

To hit your sweet spot, there is also a recipe that will show you how to make homemade root beer that could become an annual summertime tradition. It's that good!

There are also recipes for smoked food, a cooking trend that is fast becoming a favorite technique among backyard grillers. Patience is required, but the long, slow cooking results in smoky barbecued, tender-beyond belief foods.

So step outside and have a searing relationship with your grill.

Posted on May 21, 2014, 4:20:02 PM PDT
My Fav Cucumber salad
Thinly sliced Cold Cucumbers with salt,lemon/lime juice, thinly sliced chilli peppers all mixed together.Yumm Hot & Cold at the same time!!

Posted on May 21, 2014, 4:25:25 PM PDT
We are back online! Hooray! That's the good news. The bad news? The idiots next door, where the county is building a new facility, started a trash fire this morning and threw something rubber on it. I am allergic to latex, so when I went out to take the horses to their pastures this morning, I was barely breathing by the time I could get back inside. All those tiny airborne particles of latex were burning my throat, my sinuses, my lungs, my ears and my eyes. I had a pretty bad, but thankfully not deadly, reaction and had to spend much of the day inside, and doped up. At least they didn't burn stuff all day.

Sandy, thanks for starting -- and enjoy your days off.

This is one of my favorite salads:
Sweet Pecan Apple Salad

1 Tablespoon brown sugar
2 teaspoons butter
½ cup pecan halves
3 Tablespoons oil
5 teaspoons cider vinegar
1 14.5-oz can sliced beets, drained

1 Golden Delicious apple, diced

Melt sugar and butter in skillet; add pecans. Cook and stir over low heat, 3-4 minutes or until caramel-colored. Cool. Combine oil and vinegar; toss with beets and apple. Add pecans just before serving, and serve over lettuce, if desired. Serves: 4.
Gluten Free, naturally!

Sunomono is the Japanese version of Cucumber Salad. This is a shortcut:
Sort of Sunomono

Sunomono is a traditional Japanese dish, served both as a garnish and as a salad.

½ cucumber, preferably Japanese or English
½ sweet onion
4 Tablespoons rice wine vinegar*
1 teaspoon sugar**
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Wash the cucumber. Peel, if desired, especially if the skin is waxed. Cut into paper-thin slices with a mandolin, if possible, or with a sharp, thin knife. Peel onion and cut into paper-thin slices. You want an equal amount - about 1 cup - each, though it is not necessary to measure. In a non-reactive bowl, combine vinegar with sugar and salt and pepper and whisk together to blend. Add the cucumber and onion slices and stir to combine.
Serve, or set aside while preparing the rest of the meal, or, if desired, refrigerate up to a couple of hours.
Serves: 4
Note: Authentic sunomono includes soy sauce, which is traditionally made with wheat and therefore not gluten-free. Gluten-free Tamari sauce is a good substitute. Use 1 teaspoon, if available, instead of salt and pepper.
*Rice wine or rice vinegar imparts an Asian flavor. Experiment with other vinegars, such as apple cider, champagne, tomato wine or white wine vinegars for slightly different tastes. Malt vinegar is not gluten-free.
**Substitute other sweeteners, such as agave or sugar substitutes.

Not exactly Japanese Variations: Add about 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, halved or whole, according to preference, for 6 servings. Sprinkle about 1 Tablespoon freshly grated gluten-free Parmesan cheese over the top before serving, or stir in up to ¼ cup gluten-free feta cheese.

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2014, 4:59:54 PM PDT
kathy04092 says:
@PlaysInTheDirt: Oh, I can feel your pain. Cigarette smoke affects my breathing like that. It's not fun to feel like your whole chest is on fire.
If you're forewarned, does wearing a mask help? I try to carry one wherever I go, along with the inhaler.
Hope your tomorrow is better!

Posted on May 21, 2014, 5:08:42 PM PDT
I intended to wear a mask if the fire was still burning when I had to go out to meet the farrier -- Mr. Dirt very kindly cleaned both stalls for me so I wouldn't have to do that. He told me the fire was out and the odor was dissipating. The air had cleared by the time the farrier arrived, so all was good. I have had anaphylactic reactions to allergens, so I do have an Epi-Pen and I know how to use it. Still, for a few minutes it seemed like we would be rushing to the hospital's ER. Cigarette smoke irritates me, but I'm truly allergic to latex. I'm still dealing with a bit of an itchy rash. I'd never had latex inside my body before, so it was a frightening experience. And, stupidly, I hadn't taken my Epi-Pen outside with me just for those few minutes of taking the horses out. I just never thought about anyone burning rubber. In fact, I thought it was illegal to do so because of the pollution?

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2014, 5:17:45 PM PDT
Rough!! My nephew nearly died one summer when someone decided to burn poison oak, and he breathed some of the smoke,

Posted on May 21, 2014, 5:48:00 PM PDT
FRIED BREEN TOMATO SALAD with WARM CORN SALSA
Tomatoes:
12 1/4 inch thick slices green tomatoes
1/4 t salt
1/8 t black pepper
1/3 cup yellow corn meal
Olive oil
Cooking spray

Salsa:
1 c finely chopped Vidalia or other sweet onion
1/2 c finely chopped red bell pepper
1 c fresh corn kernels
1 clove garlic, minced
2 t balsamic vinegar
1/4 t salt
1/8 t black pepper
2 t minced fresh parsley

Green baby lettuce leaves (Spring mix)

Sprinkle tomato slices evenly with salt and pepper. Dredge slices in cornmeal.

Heat 2 t olive oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 6 tomato slices and cook 2 minutes or until lightly browned. Coat tops of slices with cooking spray, turn over and cook 2 minutes until lightly browned. Remove from pan and repeat procedure with 2 t oil, remaining slices, and cooking spray.

To prepare salsa, return pan to medium high heat, coat with cooking spray. Add onion and bell pepper, sauté 3 minutes. Add corn and garlic, sauté 1 minute. Stir in 2 t balsamic vinegar, 1/4 t salt and 1/8 t black pepper. Remove from heat and stir in parsley.

Place fried green tomatoes on bed of baby green lettuce/Spring mix. Spoon salsa over tomato slices and serve immediately.

Yields 4 servings
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Adding another I pad to my amazon kindle account 0 1 minute ago
Dragi's Croatian Crab Shack and Wine Bar - The Answers Are Blowing In The Wind 5726 9 minutes ago
Kindle Oasis cover usage 0 9 minutes ago
charging Oasis with cover 0 17 minutes ago
Kindle Books from one publisher not remembering last page read 0 17 minutes ago
Deleting. pdf downloads on Kindle Fire 25 21 minutes ago
red line on the kindle fire screen 66 22 minutes ago
88th Raok - roads? Where we're going we don't need roads! 370 29 minutes ago
Free Books & Chat July 2017 743 1 hour ago
Music on kindle fire 8 5 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  15
Total posts:  31
Initial post:  May 21, 2014
Latest post:  May 22, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer