Oct16 Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Happy Belly Snacks Cozy Knits Book 2 or More Hours of House Cleaning on Amazon pbskids pbskids pbskids  All-New Echo Dot Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Cycling on Amazon
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle- graphite or onyx black

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 3, 2012 12:26:13 PM PDT
I'm getting my mom the $69 kindle for Christmas. I realized today that there are two color options. Are there any downsides or benefits to one or the other like being scratched or is it just a personal color preference? Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 12:31:16 PM PDT
quilt lover says:
Laura, I didn't even realize that they were making a black model now, I have the graphite and love it, but what I have heard is that the darker the border around the page the brighter the page looks. When all that was offered was the white kindle some people would put a dark skin on it to make the screen look less gray.

Posted on Nov 3, 2012 12:54:21 PM PDT
R. D. Clark says:
IMO, that kind of fool-the-eye stuff seems to apply when you first look at the screen, but once you start reading you don't look at the bezel so much.

In film projection, dark screen borders are standard because they don't reflect light where the projection might spill over from the screen. This, I think, has given rise to the notion that screen borders should be black even when the light source isn't projected.

I have a gray K3, a gray Basic, and a Paperwhite, which is black. The Paperwhite shows fingerprints on its shiny black bezel, and I'd have preferred a finish more like my gray Kindles.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 2:31:40 PM PDT
 Ann says:
The black Kindle basic is the newer model, with darker fonts and faster page turns.

See http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_200686790_diff?nodeId=200686790#diff.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 3:02:04 PM PDT
R. D. Clark says:
Didn't know that. Why would they sell the older one with poorer performance as a version of the same product, without calling out the difference on the product page -- where it lists the "hand-tuned fonts" no matter which color you've selected.

Something fishy here.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 3:12:12 PM PDT
 Ann says:
Yes, that does seem a bit odd. Initially, there were two separate product pages. I'm not sure when they combined them like that. Maybe the differences are minor enough that it doesn't matter all that much?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Start page for Kindle content 3 29 seconds ago
Elephants Three at The Ģrandest Hotel - Part IV 5209 4 minutes ago
KINDLE KITCHEN #6: A place for sharing, caring, chat and FUN! 1368 6 minutes ago
Can I have two phones/apps connected to the same Echo? 14 7 minutes ago
86th RAoK - Let the Games Begin 7742 9 minutes ago
SwagBucks Thread 2016 1141 9 minutes ago
Dragi's Croatian Crab Shack and Wine Bar - The Answers Are Blowing In The Wind 2198 11 minutes ago
Over drive and new Windows 10 update not working together 3 15 minutes ago
Amazon Echo 9639 22 minutes ago
Freebie Books - Links Only - No Self Promotion IV 8638 28 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  4
Total posts:  6
Initial post:  Nov 3, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 3, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.