Amazon Vehicles Back to School Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Britney Spears Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Water Sports
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

GoodReads vs Amazon Star Ratings

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 45 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 8, 2014 10:27:31 PM PDT
I just recently had the GoodReads app added to my Kindle PaperWhite. But I have an issue with the star ratings.

At the end of the book, I am asked to rate the book on a 1- to 5-star rating system. My choice is then posted to both GoodReads and Amazon.

However, the star ratings on GoodReads and Amazon are not the same. If I think a book is "OK", I need to do a 2-star rating on GoodReads and a 3-star rating on Amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2014 11:22:36 PM PDT
Miss Carol says:
I use 2 stars for okay (or meh in my rating system - but it means basically the same thing) on Amazon. To me 3 stars is far too many for okay. I usually say in the first sentence of my review what my stars mean since there is a difference.

Posted on Jun 8, 2014 11:54:07 PM PDT
But if your ratings mean something different than mine, accumulating them is worthless.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2014 3:49:56 AM PDT
HJ Leonard says:
I've never rated a book directly from my Kindle. I was under the impression that doing so does NOT post a review on the Amazon website, but was used to determine your further recommendations from Amazon. Has that changed?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2014 4:00:36 AM PDT
 nospin  says:
Rating upon completion shows up on your profile on Amazon now.

I rate on Amazon based on 5 stars being an A and 1 an F.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2014 4:18:52 AM PDT
This is about how I think of it, too. Which still presents a differentiation, since when some folks see a 'C', they think, "Hey, C is passing!", but others think, "C? Good grief. What happened to the other 21 points?"

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2014 4:20:40 AM PDT
HJ Leonard says:
Shows on my profile, but not under publicly seen reviews? So if I rate a book via kindle, if I click my profile it shows, but if I pull up a book, then it doesn't show as a review? Or it DOES show as a book review?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2014 4:24:59 AM PDT
 nospin  says:
It doesn't show up as a review. Click on my profile and see a couple books I reviewed elsewhere.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2014 4:28:12 AM PDT
Just Peachy says:
I see your reviews. How do I know you reviewed it somewhere else? I don't see that.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2014 4:31:11 AM PDT
HJ Leonard says:
Okay, thanks.

So it doesn't really matter if there's a difference in star ratings between GR and Amazon, then, as I think that nowadays 'most' folks tend to look at actual reviews due to the current clime. And not everyone who looks at stars actually bothers to look up a site's definition of its star breakdown. On top of that, most folks will use their own interpretation of a 1 to 5 star rating and not care what the company says. It's personal perception, I think.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2014 4:51:39 AM PDT
 nospin  says:
Do you see the books with ratings but no reviews?
Amazon automatically puts in I loved it for five stars, etc.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2014 4:55:44 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 9, 2014 4:56:06 AM PDT
Just Peachy says:
No. I don't see those.

ETA: maybe it's only something you can see.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2014 4:58:19 AM PDT
HJ Leonard says:
I don't see anything on your profile but your actual reviews. No 'starred' items without reviews.

Interesting.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2014 5:14:54 AM PDT
 nospin  says:
Ah, so it is showing for me possibly to remind me to review on Amazon.

My 5 star rating of Outlander won't affect anything.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2014 5:19:05 AM PDT
HJ Leonard says:
So I guess that means we're back to 'rating a book on Amazon from your Kindle doesn't show anywhere except for you, personally,' right? ^_^

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2014 5:21:38 AM PDT
I don't use the number of stars, exactly. I tend to use the little graph chart more. If a book has 543 5-stars & 456 4-stars, but also has 321 3-stars + 234 2-stars and 123 1-stars, something's up.

That means that 40% of readers didn't think much of the book. So then I skim through the 4's and 3's and see what detracted from it for them.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2014 5:27:41 AM PDT
HJ Leonard says:
Yeah, that's how I start, too. I look at the graph, and then skim through the lower stars to see if there's any consistency. But I do always look at the reviews and NEVER only take that graph as gospel. And I always read the sample.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2014 5:33:16 AM PDT
I'm also suspicious of books with ONLY 4's and 5's. Really? Not one single detracting note?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2014 5:45:16 AM PDT
T. Cook says:
Sometimes haters don't gotta hate...

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2014 4:46:53 PM PDT
lonbeehold says:
Are the star ratings for each defined somewhere? I do my own personal ratings with the stars, but often wish for a half star. On Goodreads, I've given some 4.5 star books 5 stars and some 3.5 books a 4. Three stars, for me, is better than average, but not great.

Posted on Jun 9, 2014 8:18:57 PM PDT
On GoodReads:

1 = Did not like it
2 = It was OK
3 = Liked it
4 = Really liked it
5 = It was amazing

On Amazon:

1 = I hate it
2 = I don't like it
3 = It's okay
4 = I like it
5 = I love it

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2014 6:01:47 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 14, 2014 6:05:08 PM PDT
Indeed, I realised this a while ago and it bugs me a lot. Only 1 star and 5 stars mean the same thing. Which means that when you rate a book you've read on your kindle, according to the Amazon rating system, when it then puts it on GoodReads it makes it look like you're rating the book a whole level higher than is the case. The GoodReads one seems more sensible to me - do we really need 'I hate it' and 'I don't like it'? I wish they'd fix this issue one way or the other.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2014 6:07:30 PM PDT
If you mouse over the stars on Amazon and GoodReads when online, it tells you what each one means - but the two don't match. Check out the following post to see the difference.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2014 11:31:25 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 4, 2014 11:33:23 AM PDT
C. Rice says:
I got a moderator answer on my duplicated post for this same question at http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/forums/kindleqna/ref=cs_hc_k_pl?ie=UTF8&forumID=Fx1FI6JDSFEQQ7V&cdThread=Tx36O4PRUYC89PR&cdPage=1&cdMsgId=MxFXUPLPE9I8CP#MxFXUPLPE9I8CP which say:

"Thanks for taking the time to let us know your thoughts on the review system. If you have your Goodreads account linked, then your rating will apply to both websites. Amazon doesn't have specific definitions for star ratings, so feel free to choose the rating you feel is appropriate. I'll also go ahead and pass your comments to our Development team as feedback, so we can continue to improve our system.

Our community members may be able to provide more insight into their experience with posting book reviews, so I'm bumping this thread."

(Sorry for duplicating, I searched for star ratings from goodreads app when I was on my tablet and it didn't bring up any, then when I was back on my laptop I found yours after I posted mine.)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2014 11:52:36 AM PDT
except that Amazon does have specific star ratings - when you go to fill it in, and you hover, it tells you what each one roughly means...
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Getting youtube video quality options back 0 33 minutes ago
Free Books and Chat - August 2016 790 40 minutes ago
Kindle HDX 8.9 Freezes only on Prime Video 0 1 hour ago
Discounted / Price Dropped Kindle eBooks III 9979 1 hour ago
No notification sounds on Fire HD 8.9 32 1 hour ago
Kindle touch battery suddenly drains faster! 9 2 hours ago
3M Cloud Library and Kindle Paperwhite 230 2 hours ago
86th RAoK - Let the Games Begin 4438 2 hours ago
Elephants Three at The Ģrandest Hotel - Part IV 4976 2 hours ago
We're Quirky And We Know It! Come Witness The Howling Dink, Hussy Turkey Hens, And A Veritable Plethora Of Other Beasts! So Geese! 5812 2 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  15
Total posts:  45
Initial post:  Jun 8, 2014
Latest post:  Dec 31, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions