Your Garage Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

NEWS: Introducing the All-new Kindle Fire HDX Tablets

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 24, 2013, 9:24:26 PM PDT
Reviews Team says:
(AMAZON)    (AMAZON OFFICIAL)
Today we introduced the third generation of Kindle Fire-the all-new Kindle Fire HDX. The Kindle Fire HDX tablets combine groundbreaking hardware, the latest version of Fire OS "Mojito", and exclusive features. The new Kindle Fire HDX devices feature 7" or 8.9" HDX displays, quad-core 2.2 GHz processor with 3x the processing power, 2x more memory, 11 hours of battery life, and dual stereo speakers with Dolby Digital Plus audio.

Kindle Fire HDX family features:

- Stunning exclusive HDX display-beyond HD with exceptional pixel density perfect 100% sRGB color accuracy, reduced glare, dynamic image contrast, and improved brightness for better viewing in any lighting conditions.

- Startlingly light design-at just 13.2 ounces, the 8.9" Kindle Fire HDX is the lightest large-screen tablet, 34% lighter than the previous generation.

- Powered by the latest version of Fire OS with new and upgraded features, and Amazon-exclusive services like X-Ray for Music, Cloud Collections, Goodreads, and more. Fire OS starts with Android and adds cloud services, a content-first user interface, built-in media libraries, productivity apps to integrate Amazon's digital content and improved performance.

- New Mayday button delivers revolutionary free live tech support-one touch connects you to an Amazon expert who can guide you remotely through any feature-24x7, 365 days a year. See the separate press release on how the Mayday button works: https://www.amazon.com/mayday.

- Front-facing HD camera makes it easy to stay in touch with Skype, plus a new 8 megapixel wide-aperture rear-facing camera on the 8.9" Fire HDX offers crisp photos and 1080p HD video. See a video: https://www.amazon.com/display.

- Blind and visually impaired customers will discover new and improved accessibility tools, such as Screen Reader, Explore by Touch, and Screen Magnifier, enabling access to the vast majority of Kindle Fire features.

- New enterprise features including hardware and software-encryption, Kerberos Intranet, secure Wi-Fi connections, VPN integration, and wireless printing. See the separate press release on enterprise features: https://www.amazon.com/kindle-enterprise.

More about these exciting new additions to the Kindle Fire Family: https://www.amazon.com/hdx

All-New Kindle Fire HDX devices are available for pre-order today! Reserve your place in line or read more about the devices here:

Kindle Fire HDX 7": https://www.amazon.com/hdx-7
Kindle Fire HDX 8.9": https://www.amazon.com/hdx
Kindle Fire HDX 8.9" 4G LTE: https://www.amazon.com/4g-hdx

Posted on Sep 24, 2013, 9:27:47 PM PDT
They look nice, but I think I'll stay with the older versions. Looking at the Galaxy note 10.1 2014 model in particular. Hope that some of the new features (offline prime) get ported to the older Kindle Fire models, though.

Posted on Sep 24, 2013, 9:36:44 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 24, 2013, 9:37:55 PM PDT
Epic says:
Why won't you make a Kindle with expandable memory!? And one that uses Google Play? So many people would like that, including me. I can't even play my favorite game because the Amazon app store is so limited... I love my Kindle and all, but really people!!?? Make it less "limited". I'm not mad at you, but this is a serious suggestion that would make Kindle much more popular.

Posted on Sep 24, 2013, 9:38:25 PM PDT
Dlaw says:
Nice!

Posted on Sep 24, 2013, 9:40:06 PM PDT
kem says:
Trying to decide between the Verizon or AT&T lte versions. I bought an old galaxy tab 10.1 for my wife that is probably on its last legs. Freezing up, glitches, and so forth. Samsung doesn't like to support older devices so I'm going to surprise her with a new Kindle tablet. Anyone have any opinions as to who has the better lte service? From my experience AT&T was very good in rural areas but Verizon seems better in cities.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2013, 9:42:40 PM PDT
Epic says:
Personally, I would go with Verizon. But overall I would go with a more "powerful" tablet...

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2013, 9:45:45 PM PDT
kem says:
Remember that Kindle devices are designed for consumption. This is why their prices hardware wise tend to be less than competitors. Amazon is hoping you will buy their device at the cheaper price and then spend the difference they lost on hardware in their app store. It is a smart model if their stores are successful. I think amazon may be worried that if the Kindle was completely open to Google play nothing would differentiate their devices enough from competitors for people to buy them.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2013, 9:47:48 PM PDT
Epic says:
Overall most popular apps on the Amazon app store are free, and buying a digital book for the same price as the physical one isn't worth it.

Posted on Sep 24, 2013, 10:19:50 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 24, 2013, 10:31:09 PM PDT
Emissary52 says:
The 8.9" Kindle Fire HDX Wi-Fi version with 64 gigs of memory would be a nice Christmas present to myself, not that I'm complaining about my current Kindle 8.9" 32 gig model. That Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 with those 4 Adreno Krait 330 cores should smoke the competition in gameplay! And a back camera with flash at last! I'm impressed with what I see so far! Dropping the price of a Kindle HD with 8 gigs to $139 will make Christmas shopping a lot easier for parents ... after all, why buy some no-name tablet made by Flung Dung's Fly-By-Night Tablet factory that lasts a week and breaks, when you can buy a Kindle HD with decent parental controls for about the same money! Google and Apple better watch their backs ...and wallets!

Posted on Sep 24, 2013, 10:26:58 PM PDT
M. Kean says:
These are really impressive machines. They have the latest tablet cpu/gpu, and the best screens available. Better sound than other tablets as well. Amazon has packed in features too. This Mayday thing is amazing, and a godsend to people here who are tired of people asking simple questions over and over lol. There's apparently an automatically changing contrast that when put under brighter light will darken the dark spots to show up under the glare better. That's really something. Improved colors, OFFLINE PRIME VIDEOS.
I'm pretty impressed with it.

Posted on Sep 24, 2013, 10:27:59 PM PDT
Vegan says:
Nice prices. 8.9" one is very tempting - preordered one to be safe.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2013, 10:58:42 PM PDT
Epic says:
Can you get it as a Christmas present for me too?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2013, 11:41:02 PM PDT
M. Ratcheson says:
Offline Prime? I assume you are referring to downloading videos as opposed to streaming them? Is this available with the new models? Thanks.

Posted on Sep 24, 2013, 11:42:03 PM PDT
Epic says:
Offline Prime would be AWESOME!!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2013, 11:46:27 PM PDT
M. Ratcheson says:
Well, having had cell phone service with both AT&T and Verizon, I find that both networks are fine after the service is settled. Verizon customer service wins, in my experience. But the AT&T network coverage and reliability is pretty much equivalent. I do spend most of my time in a large urban area, so your mileage may vary.

Posted on Sep 24, 2013, 11:49:40 PM PDT
Epic says:
Well I live in a rural part of New Mexico, and have never had trouble with Verizon 4G lte

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2013, 12:10:19 AM PDT
G. Rascon says:
that 64GB for only 300 bucks sounds very tempting. my first ever tablet was the original kindle fire, but I've moved on since then to a nexus 7, then an ipad 3. I'd like to pass the ipad over to my mother, and maybe get the new kindle fire, but what's stopping me is the amazon app store, it was lacking when I had the original fire. I guess I'll have a few weeks to think about it

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2013, 12:26:25 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 4, 2013, 3:49:48 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2013, 12:36:31 AM PDT
Jay says:
Better yet, Epic, get Google to produce, and sell to you, the tablet you really want. Why should Amazon build it's tablets to make Goggle richer? Expandable memory is just one more thing to go wrong, or get lost. Imagine mislaying the SD card which has your favorite books, movies, etc, on it. NOT fun.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2013, 12:37:33 AM PDT
Jay says:
So far, I have 2700 ebooks...2600 of which were FREE.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2013, 12:49:12 AM PDT
Epic says:
Well, most everything you purchase is backed up in cloud, and also, if Amazon plans to make so much off app and book sales, they need to expand they're library, especially the app store.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2013, 1:05:42 AM PDT
Sherlock says:
Why no hdmi port???
The current HD 8.9" has it, so I'll stick with that.
Also, for the things I use Kindle for, there are simply not enough new features to spend $500+ on an upgrade.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2013, 1:18:55 AM PDT
CBRetriever says:
wow, that is weird - wonder why they did away with that?

Posted on Sep 25, 2013, 1:21:41 AM PDT
kmd57 says:
Sounds great. They are not just keeping up with competitors, with Mayday, they are reinventing what Amazon has always done best, customer service.

I'm happy with my current HD7", but if I need to replace it, Ill definitely get the new 7" HDX. I like the small size. It fits perfectly in the crevice between my left thumb and hand while I type with my right index finger!!

As a current Prime member, I do hope the downloading privilege is also allowed to owners of the current Fire iterations as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2013, 1:28:47 AM PDT
CBRetriever says:
it's not needed:

Watch on the Big Screen

COMING SOON-Fling TV shows and movies from your tablet to your big-screen TV using Second Screen. This turns your TV into the primary screen, freeing up your Kindle Fire to provide playback controls, a customized display for X-Ray, or simply be a place to email, browse the web, and more while you watch a movie. Second Screen will be available starting in October for PlayStation 3 and Samsung TVs, and later this year for PlayStation 4.

Mirror Your Screen

NEW-Turn your television into your tablet monitor. With Kindle Fire HDX tablets and a certified Miracast-enabled accessory or TV, you can wirelessly mirror your tablet screen, including movies, TV shows, and photos.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 120 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Discounted / Price Dropped Kindle eBooks IV 2398 4 minutes ago
My kindle paper white has frozen 1 5 minutes ago
88th Raok - roads? Where we're going we don't need roads! 342 9 minutes ago
We're Quirky! There Are Various Critters, Including Tail-less Manx Kittens, Here. We Also Have Hugh Manatee. Bring Your Quilting And Sewing Projects, Your Camera, And Your Instant Pot. So Geese And Tally Ho! 3101 10 minutes ago
KINDLE KITCHEN #6: A place for sharing, caring, chat and FUN! 8105 15 minutes ago
Free Books & Chat July 2017 694 28 minutes ago
Freebie Books - Links Only - No Self Promotion IV 9757 36 minutes ago
How to archive books on the Kindle keyboard 3G 25 1 hour ago
Al's Place 36 Degrees of Separation 4258 1 hour ago
No autocorrect for Kindle notes on the Fire? 1 3 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  569
Total posts:  2981
Initial post:  Sep 24, 2013
Latest post:  Aug 8, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 47 customers