Amazon Vehicles Beauty Return your textbook rentals STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning americangods americangods americangods  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO National Bike Month on Amazon Ellen
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

FREE Books and Chat Mon. Jan 21, 2013

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 157 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 21, 2013, 12:02:27 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 21, 2013, 12:46:09 AM PST
Leo Little says:
Welcome to Free books and Chat. come on in and browse through the links there are always lots of free books. Have a seat in our overstuffed chairs and put you feet up on the hassocks as settle yourself in to read the latest treasure you've dredged up out of thousands of free indie publishers or perhaps you were lucky enough to catch one of your favorite well know author's book while it was free.

There's coffee, tea and hot chocolate in the decanters on the counter. There's a variety of freshly baked jelly and cream filled doughnuts apple fritters and maple bars on the counter. Ice cold milk is in the fridge beneath.

Kinlib:
http://us.kinlib.com/
http://us.kinlib.com/feed/

Ereaderiq:
ereaderiq.com/free/mn
ereaderiq.com/free/

Dailyfreebooks:
dailyfreebooks.com

Please come back and tell us what you get from the free links. Or if you've read a previously Free book drop in and tell what you thought of it...

If you missed chapter one follow the link below.
CRYSTAL

http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1D7SY3BVSESG&cdMSG=addedToThread&cdPage=1&cdThread=Tx361B1Y1PC2U3R&newContentID=Mx26T3NQ7QCVJR5&newContentNum=2#CustomerDiscussionsNRPB

CRYSTAL
http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle/ref=cm_cd_et_md_pl?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1D7SY3BVSESG&cdMsgID=Mx178FU6JBVDUY5&cdMsgNo=1&cdPage=1&cdSort=oldest&cdThread=Tx5XHUBM5JX5RG#Mx178FU6JBVDUY5

CRYSTAL

The sheriff stood in the doorway and kindly waited while I prayed for some response-a twitching finger or fluttering eyelid, but Grandpa's spirit failed to answer. I'd never felt more alone in my life.
I turned finally to the sheriff. My throat felt raw as I swallowed the last of my pride. "I ... I think Mrs. Baker ... I mean Katherine Baker will take me in. I can call her?"
I'd run out of the house without my purse or cell phone, so I marched out to the nurse's station. "I need to make a call."
Not bothering to lift her gaze from stack of charts on her desk, the nurse answered, "There's a phone in the lobby."
My pulse hammered through the veins near my ear. My eyes filled with tears. "Look at me, do I look like I have any money on me? I rode here in the ambulance with my grandpa."
The nurse looked up at me and then at the sheriff behind me. She lifted the beige colored phone from her desk to the counter above. "Sorry ... here you go ... just dial 9 to get an outside line."
I picked up the receiver and punched in Stacy's home phone.
Ring ... ring...
God I hope Stacy doesn't answer.
Ring ... ring...
Stacy's voice came on the line. "We're not home. Leave a message after the beep."
I pushed down the white buttons to hang up and started to dial Stacy's cell. I stopped at the last number.
I don't want to talk to Stacy.
Punching in a two instead of a three, I prayed their phones were like mine, one number off from my grandpa's.
"Hello." It was Stacy's mom.
My throat swelled allowing only a whimper to escape.
"Hello. Who is this?"
"Mm ... Mrs. Baker. I ... It's me ... Crystal.
"Crystal. Are you alright honey?"
"N-nooo. Grandpa was attacked. He's in a coma. I need a place to stay."
"Oh my God. Where are you?"
I broke into sobs. The sheriff brushed the back of my shoulder then took the receiver. "Mrs. Baker this is Sheriff Jacobs. Crystal needs a place to stay for awhile. Are you willing to take her in?"
The nurse handed me a box of tissue as I waited until the sheriff turned to me with a smile and a nod. I dabbed at the tears that continued to pour. The sheriff and another nurse helped me back to the waiting room and stayed `til the chaplain showed up and then I just lost all control as emptiness swallowed me whole.
I don't know who called him in, but my only thought when I saw him was that Grandpa was never going to wake up.
The chaplain held me his arms around my shoulders until Mrs. Baker showed up. By then, my sobs subsided, but when I saw her, my grief turned to anger, which seethed in the depth of my soul as I thought of Stacy being held in the safety of Jim's muscular arms. I shrugged the chaplain's arm from shoulder, tossed the hospital's blanket on the seat and marched out to Mrs. Baker's slate blue Lexus Rx10 and got in without a word. I was so angry, I barely felt the morning's chill through the fire raging within. I stared through the windshield as a subtle pink stain crested over the Sierra Nevadas.
I knew I should be grateful, but I couldn't bring myself to say so.
Mrs. Baker seemed reluctant to speak as well, but she found her words, "Crystal, I, uh ... understand how you must feel. I hope your grandfather will pull through, and then perhaps you and Stacy can get past this thing with Jim."
Get past it. How could I get past it? I don't want to get past it. Stacy and I are through!
My gaze darted to Mrs. Baker and back to the floorboard. I held my tongue and turned away, cooling my forehead against the closed window.
Mrs. Baker sighed. "Well, one disaster at a time then. If you feel up to it, I'll take you by your house and then you can follow me home in your car."
"Why can't I stay at my house?" I groaned.
"I don't think that's a good idea right now. You shouldn't be alone after all that's happened."
"Well I'm not ready to see your daughter right now, either."
"Listen, young lady, I know you're hurting, but you're going to have to get over your tiff with Jim and Stacy. And just so you know, Stacy won't be at my house. She and Jim got married last night in Tahoe. They're spending their honeymoon on his dad's boat."
"What!"
Mrs. Baker's voice sharpened to a fine edge. "I'm not too happy about it myself, but Stacy's pregnant. Jim's dad got them an apartment near UCLA so she'll be moving out when they get back."
The angry fire that had coursed though my veins cooled instantly. I shivered at the loss. I shook my head, not believing how devastated my life had become in the course of one day. I shuddered to think what would happen next.
Stacy. Pregnant. When? How?
Well I knew how, but I couldn't believe all this had happened under my nose. I snuck another look at Mrs. Baker and saw the worry and pain I'd missed earlier.
She must feel as betrayed as I do, only she couldn't turn her back on the little b---h!
I lifted my chin and turned to her, refusing to let my emotions take over. "I'm sorry, Mrs. Baker, I didn't know."
Mrs. Baker's lips curled into a gentle smile. "We're practically family, call me Kate."
I nodded. Maybe we could be friends-two crumbling walls leaning against each other to keep from falling flat on our a==es. I had always gotten along with older people. Not that Kate was all that old. She was on the edge of forty, but I thought of her more like an older sister or a favorite aunt than my friend's mother.
X-friend, there was no way in hell I was ready to forgive Stacy.
And as for the mountain lion. If I ever saw him again, he'd be road kill.
Was he man or beast? I had to find out. For my sanity's sake. What if I hadn't imagined the man beneath the fur? All he'd have to do is change into a man and walk away. Animal Control would never bring him in.
I closed my eyes, seeing again the face that was burned into my memory. He was definitely Native American, but I had no idea which tribe.
I sat straight up in the seat holding my breath as Mrs ... I mean Kate turned up the road to Grandpa's house.
He'd looked right at me.
After what I'd done, he'd be coming after me next. My heart skipped a beat. What if he could change into anything or anyone?
I peered cautiously back at Mrs. Baker and scooted closer to the door. My hand crept to the handle, ready pull it up and jump out if...
No, her eyes were pale blue not gold. I remembered when the cat changed into a man his eyes had remained the same. It gave me a little comfort. At least Mrs. Baker-I mean, Kate-wasn't a threat.
There was a helluva lot of crap I didn't know. Who was the mountain lion/man? Who or what was I for that matter, and how was my grandfather involved?
Maybe this mysterious uncle he spoke of had some answers.

************************** THANKS SUE ******************************

** SPECIAL MESSAGE TO AUTHORS **
You are welcome to join us for conversation, however, self-promotion or posting a link to your book in this area is against Amazon's TOS. Please go to the "Meet Our Authors" area for that, as many of us do check there as well.
THANK YOU FOR FOLLOWING THE RULES!

Starter Schedule:

IrishM - Tuesday, Jan. 22, Start Time: @5-6 am EST
Scarlett859 - Wednesday, Jan. 23 Start Time around 10:00pm CST (Tues night)
JudyD - Thursday, Jan. 24,Start Time: 11:00 p.m. EST
Lover of Books - Friday, Jan. 25, Start Time: 12:30am PST
Robb - Saturday, Jan. 26
DonnaBeeGood - Sunday, Jan. 27Start Time midnight PST
Leo - Monday, Jan. 28, Start Time 12:00am PST
Ketta - Tuesday, Jan. 29,Start time 4-5am EST
Courtney - Wednesday, Jan. 30Start Time around 12:00am EST
JudyD - Thursday, Jan. 31, Start Time 11:00 p.m. EST
Lover of Books - Friday, Feb. 1, Start Time: 12:30am PST
Leo - Monday, Feb. 4, Start Time 12:00am PST
Leo - Monday, Feb. 11, Start Time 12:00am PST

Open Dates:

Saturday, Feb. 2
Sunday, Feb. 3
Tuesday, Feb. 5
Wednesday, Feb. 6
Thursday, Feb. 7
Friday, Feb. 8
Saturday, Feb. 9
Sunday, Feb. 10

******************** STARTERS NEEDED **********************

*** Please consider volunteering to be a thread starter. ***
Choose an available day, copy/paste schedule into a post and add your info.
We'll help you through it!

Hugs and prayers go out to all those who care for loved ones...as well as those who suffer through painful diseases / injuries...I hope that you find comfort and peace of mind.
Let's remember all those whose homes were taken by Hurricane Sandy. Keep them in your thoughts or prayers. And if you are able to help out do so...

Let us also remember the families who lost loved ones so tragically in the senseless shooting at the Newtown Elementary School...The hearts of a nation are wounded by the deaths of children and theirs teachers...I pray we can somehow find a way to end the madness.

Yesterday's link
http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle/ref=cm_cd_rvt_np?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1D7SY3BVSESG&cdPage=10&cdThread=Tx3UHXYRX39ZMBW#CustomerDiscussionsNew

Birthday and Anniversary / Template / States - abbreviations and time zones / Slang / How To link. *

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=46D686309DF8EC54!304&authkey=!AI1-59L9q8AbjRA

Leo

Posted on Jan 21, 2013, 12:13:24 AM PST
Leo youre awesome! May I donate a kosher treat for those of us who need special snacks? I brought a sweet Yerushalaym kugel to share.

Posted on Jan 21, 2013, 12:13:49 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 21, 2013, 12:14:04 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2013, 12:45:42 AM PST
4Nbahu says:
@Leo ....Please stop making me wish my life away...I truly enjoy reading Mondays' threads because of you and your stories. Thank you for sharing your gift with us.

Posted on Jan 21, 2013, 1:23:18 AM PST
Good morning everyone. Leo, thank you for another excellent start.

A few picks to start the beginning of a new week...

Ferris' Bluff - Mystery

Ace is on the run from everyone, it seems. He's running from a busted Witness Protection Program assignment, an international collection of gangsters and arms merchants he pissed off working undercover, and worst of all-from his own scarred self-image and the nightmares that haunt him.

After two lonely years on the road he risks a short visit with his old friend, Granville Tubbs, who lives in the sleepy small town of Ferris' Bluff, Arkansas. He hasn't even had a tingle that anyone has been on his trail for almost a year. What could go wrong in a few days?

Plenty, it turns out. But some things go right, too...shotgun ambushes aside.

The ultimate loner, Ace is soon brought under the spell of the quirky small town and its residents. As he tries to help Tubbs, all the while jealously guarding his alias, the friendliness of the townsfolk chips away at the wall of solitude he's built. It's as if Leets and Dicky and Art Drury are determined to become his new friends. And the pretty widow, Annie Travers-well, try as he might he can't deny the growing mutual attraction between the two of them.

He runs smack up against the dark side of Ferris' Bluff in no time. The greedy lawyer, Tremont, and his slutty wife, Reena, are after something in Tubbs' estate. The local mechanic, Pink, is out to mess him up, too. Ace is soon enmeshed in a battle of wits and wills with some of the locals.

And if that ain't thorny enough, Russian arms dealers who Ace hurt badly on his last assignment have been keeping a loose watch on Tubbs. When he discovers that Annie's husband's accident wasn't an accident at all and Dicky Stover, the victim of a brutal beating, is killed while in the hospital, hitting the road is no longer an option.

Ferris' Bluff, a thriller with a smokin' hot romance tucked inside!

Elly In Bloom - Contemporary Fiction

The #1 Kindle Bestseller in Contemporary Fiction! Surrounded by lush flowers and neurotic brides, chubby 32-year old Elly Jordan has carved out a sweet little life for herself as the owner of Posies, a boutique wedding florist in St. Louis. It's not bad for a woman who drove away from her entire life just two years ago when she found her husband entwined with a red-headed artist.

Sure, Elly has an embarrassingly beautiful best friend, a terribly behaved sheepdog and a sarcastic assistant who she simply calls "Snarky Teenager", but overall her days are pleasantly uneventful. As a bonus, her new next door neighbor just happens to be an unnervingly handsome musician who has an eye for curvy Elly. Just when she feels that she is finally moving on from her past, she discovers that an extravagant wedding contract, one that could change her financial future, is more than she bargained for.

With the help of her friends, staff and the occasional well-made sandwich, Elly bravely agrees to take on the event that threatens to merge her painful history with her bright new life, and finds herself blooming in a direction she never imagined.

Elly's voice, both charming and hilarious, will appeal to those readers who have been looking for a new voice in chick-lit, and will give women of all sizes the realistic heroine they've been waiting for.

Treachery at Torrey Pines: A Shank MacDuff Mystery (Shank MacDuff Mystery Chronicles) - Mystery

"Shank" MacDuff embodies Southern California ease-a dashing blond Newport Beach surfer who makes good money working for a PGA golfer. Yet his world is shaken when friend and fellow caddy Buddy Franks dies dramatically. Buddy's widow recruits Shank to discover what really happened. The amateur sleuth draws upon his Caltech smarts and FBI Academy training to hunt for the killer. As he roams places like ocean-front La Jolla, colorful Las Vegas, and historic Del Mar race track digging for clues, challenging questions emerge: Are the unpredictable widow's intentions pure? Which is more slippery, the tournament director or his gelled hair? Is Buddy's mysterious past the cornerstone? Amidst interviews and incriminations, Shank risks his life while struggling to fill the deep-rooted void that lies at the center of his heart. Treachery at Torrey Pines is a dynamic thriller with intense action, tender moments, and tantalizing twists.

Assumed Dead (Monika Everhardt medical mysteries) - Mystery

From the shadow of the St. Louis Arch to the ashes of the World Trade Center, Assumed Dead pulses with the authentic excitement of a busy ICU as head nurse Monika Everhardt uncovers the mysterious connection between a battered wife, an unidentified car crash victim and a long-missing man while laying to rest some ghosts of her own.

Posted on Jan 21, 2013, 1:51:11 AM PST
ebook addict says:
King's Blood: The Complete Vampire Thriller (Unabridged)
Unabridged Version without interruptions of its serial novel form. This is the complete novel, the way King's Blood was intended to be.

Jack King is a handsome, crafty vampire who tries to maintain his identity in a time when the daily erosion of privacy is the norm. He has managed to survive a changing world for decades and now must face an age of rapid globalization, fleeting romance, and social networks. And just when his personal life takes an unexpected--and pleasant--turn, King learns his bloodline is worth a King's ransom.

Betrayed, Jack finds himself a prisoner of psychopathic corporate scientists who want to find out what makes him tick. They will stop at nothing to violate his very flesh in order to gain the secrets of his biology, as well as his corporate knowledge of a drug that could change medical history. Separated from his girlfriend, Holly, and his best friend, Ted, the only ones who can save Jack from a terrible fate are an offbeat group of Chinese vampires with a rich culture and history.

Thrust into their unfamiliar culture and running from exploitative humans, Jack walks a fine line between his assimilation and loyalty to his human friends and his acceptance and growing knowledge of who he is, what he is, and his growing role in the future of his entire vampire species.

Posted on Jan 21, 2013, 2:36:01 AM PST
Mo says:
Hello all,

There were a lot of yellow banners for me the past weeks. But today 2 from my wishlist:

Nordic Nights (The Alix Thorssen Mysteries) and
The Sourdough Wars (Rebecca Schwartz Mystery #2) (The Rebecca Schwartz Series)

Have a good day all.

Posted on Jan 21, 2013, 3:30:14 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 21, 2013, 3:31:09 AM PST
{Struts in with a basket of lemon poppy seed scones in one hand & my Kindle in the other, waving happily (the Kindle hand) at everybody already in place ~ Sits next to Chaya and her kugel}

Hello & Good Morning! What? No question or survey? Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

{Adds basket to already laden table & sees the current books out and gets distracted checking to see if any are of interest...}

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2013, 3:40:19 AM PST
4Nbahu says:
@wandering reader I would love a poppy seed scone <snakes one and looks for clotted cream> I brought my own hot chocolate made with real vanilla and tons of real whipped cream.

Posted on Jan 21, 2013, 4:13:34 AM PST
4Nbahu says:
As usual from onehundredbooks.com

On My Daddy's Shoulders Yellow Banner Nov 2 picture story book. For those of you looking for good preschool stories. I found this one delightful..

The Proposal Romance Short

Passing Time in the Loo: Volume 1 - Summaries of All-Time Great Books Because who wouldn't like a good loo book....

An Irish Tail: A hilarious tale of an English couple and their unruly dogs, searching for a new life in rural Ireland Because everyone was talking about it the other day.

Which Dog Breeds Make the Best Family Pet? Ten Dog Breeds That Will Provide a Lifetime of Canine Companionship

Unleashed (The Highland Historical Trillogy) read yellow banner from Dec 18, I highly recommend this set of three novellas. There is some explicit sex but I liked the characters.

Redwall (Book 1, Redwall) Don't wait get this one first in a very long series, but the kids who use the library I work in inhale this series.

The Twelve Stones I liked that the author has the guts to say this is a 2nd edition and that it may still suck but it does so with 99% fewer typos....it also has 4 stars for 30 reviewers.

Train to Nowhere It's a short but sounded very interesting.

The Amun Chamber adventure thriller?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2013, 4:39:54 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 21, 2013, 4:43:49 AM PST
{grins happily} They are for all who enter with a smile... Of course, if one doesn't enter with a smile, they can have one too. Ah, my apologies, I failed to bring clotted cream. I'm in the US and that's not exactly on our normal list of condiments.

{locks idea in head for adding vanilla to hot chocolate}

Ooooooh 4Nbahu ~ I add vanilla to lemonade... it's the BEST! and now, I will also add it to my hot chocolate...;D

Posted on Jan 21, 2013, 4:48:25 AM PST
Irish M says:
Thanks for the start, Leo! I am loving this story too! Sipping my espresso, off to find some freebies to share and try to come up with an interesting start for tomorrow.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2013, 5:00:58 AM PST
4Nbahu says:
@ Wandering Reader do you add vanilla extract and how much. What does it do to the lemonade? We drink a lot of nimbu pani (Indian lemonade) here especially in the summer.

Posted on Jan 21, 2013, 5:18:16 AM PST
☀ Suze says:
Great start Leo!

Here's an interesting book....has color photos which works well on Fire and iPad.The Long, Steep Path: Everyday Inspiration from the Author of Pay It Forward
By Catherine Ryan Hyde

Posted on Jan 21, 2013, 5:27:00 AM PST
Now, I will apologize in advance. I've not read any of the offerings that I bring in today. They sound interesting to me, and perhaps will to some. Happy reading in advance.

The Nightlife New York (Paranormal Romance Series) (The Nightlife Series Book 1)
Vampires, strippers, escorts, night clubs, gangs, pimps and corrupt cops, the Nightlife of New York is never boring.
Is she a beautiful blond guardian angel as he imagined, or something else entirely? When Michelle saves Aaron's life she shares the benefits of her blood--after getting him shot accidentally. He awakes a changed man, living in a purgatory of eternal night, never to see the sunrise again.
Michelle drags Aaron through a hardcore learning curve of vampiric slavery. Forced to adapt to servitude, he is subject to her authority of compulsion. She orders him around like a puppet on a string, a dog on a very short leash. First things first, he must learn to feed properly without creating bloodslaves (humans addicted to the powerful drug-like effect of their venomous bite).
And then she puts him to work--a male escort in the sex trade--same as Michelle. Aaron walks a tightrope of strictly controlled feeding regiments and intensely erotic sexual adventures while catering to the neurotic control-freak tendencies of his new master. It's do or die, Michelle vows to eliminate him if he proves too difficult to control. Amidst all these shocking and degrading adjustments, Aaron finds he's falling in love.
Can he maintain her rules and keep a sliver of his humanity intact? Innocence is a luxury few can afford in the decadent nightlife of New York. In a world where sex, blood, and power over women is so readily accessible, Aaron struggles against the predatory instincts deeply rooted in his new psyche. He must find his way quickly, practicing rigid self-control, or risk the consequences of Michelle's wrath.

Rise of the Fallen (All the King's Men Book 1)
In the streets of Chicago exists an uneasy, centuries-old truce between vampires and their distant cousins, a race of shifters called drecks. Vampire enforcement agency, All the King's Men (AKM), is charged with maintaining the truce, but when volatile enforcer Micah Black loses his mate and falls into the biological agony that results from the broken bond, he tests the boundaries of the truce by seeking out Apostle, a leader in the dreck community. Micah wants Apostle to kill him, a request Apostle is more than happy to fulfill.
When ex-Army medic Samantha Garrett inadvertently disrupts the plot and saves Micah's life, a chain reaction sets Micah's heart on a collision course with Sam's, but he will have to protect her from Apostle and her obsessive ex-husband, Steve, if they will have a chance at forever. Can Micah hold his emotions together to keep Sam alive?

The Sable City (The Norothian Cycle Book 1)
For the first time in a hundred years, Vod'Adia - the fabled Sable City - is Opening. All across the known world, adventurers hungry for gold and relics from the Witch King's era are making their way to the legendary ruins. For many of them, the Sable City will claim their lives and perhaps even their very souls. But for one heroic fellowship, bent only on rescue, entering this deadly place may do worse than destroy them. It may destroy the entire world.
The journey begins in the Miilark Islands, where a most unusual dwarf makes a most unusual choice. Captain Block, charged with finding the exiled heir of House Deskata, picks Tilda Lanai to accompany him - a young woman newly trained in the arts of the Guild, but completely untested. But when fate turns against them, Tilda must navigate a strange land with only her instincts as her guide. With the help of a rag-tag company that includes a ronin samurai, a semi-competent wizard, a noblewoman in disguise, a healer, a warrior-priest and two ex-soldiers (one in danger of being hanged for desertion), Tilda's quest leads her into the very heart of the Sable City--where devils and demons roam freely, and very little is what it seems.

Blood Iris 2012 (A Dark Fantasy Anthology)
Drift into darkness with the Blood Iris 2012 anthology--a collection of eerie dark fantasy shorts that will chill you to the core. From classic surreal horror to paranormal romance, from werewolves to vampires and everything in between, Blood Iris features some of the best fiction from talented dark fantasy authors to keep you up at night on All Hallows' Moon.
"Til Human Voices Wake Us" - Annie Bellet
"Monkey Business" - Elle Casey
"The Grimm Brother" - BD Greyer
"Mama's Sword" - Ada Hoffmann
"Faithful" - Maurice Lawless
"The Door in Red Hook" - Joshua Grover-David Patterson
"The Raven and the Razor" - Chelsea Pitcher
"Monsters" - SM Reine
"The Werewolf of Narashtovik" - Edward W. Robertson
"With the Sun and the Moon in His Eyes" - Abby Rustad
"Fire Licked" - Anna Sanders

Lady of Devices: A steampunk adventure novel (Magnificent Devices Book 1)
If you like steampunk stories by Cherie Priest and Gail Carriger, you'll love Shelley Adina's Lady of Devices!
London, 1889. Victoria is Queen. Charles Darwin's son is Prime Minister. And steam is the power that runs the world.
At 17, Claire Trevelyan, daughter of Viscount St. Ives, was expected to do nothing more than pour an elegant cup of tea, sew a fine seam, and catch a rich husband. Unfortunately, Claire's talents lie not in the ballroom, but in the chemistry lab, where things have a regrettable habit of blowing up. When her father gambles the estate on the combustion engine and loses, Claire finds herself down and out on the mean streets of London. But being a young woman of resources and intellect, she turns fortune on its head. It's not long before a new leader rises in the underworld, known only as the Lady of Devices.
When she meets Andrew Malvern, a member of the Royal Society of Engineers, she realizes her talents may encompass more than the invention of explosive devices. They may help her realize her dreams and his . . . if they can both stay alive long enough to see that sometimes the closest friendships can trigger the greatest betrayals . . .

No Way Out - And Other Scary Short Stories
ncludes two free additional short stories.
That's three 'terrorific' short stories for kids and teens at one low price.
No Way out - Mike takes a bet to go inside a haunted house, but will he live long enough to collect?
Also includes:
The Price of Friendship - How much is a best friend worth? Joey finds out the hard way.
Hobgoblin Horror - Jake only volunteered at the retirement home because Shelby works there. So, it's no wonder he's doesn't hear Mr. Fitches' warnings about a local homicidal hobgoblin--too bad for him.
Includes a free extended preview of Super Zombie Juice Mega Bomb

Servants of Darkness (Thirteen Creepy Tales)
A chance meeting at a cathedral's demolition site between a suffering young woman and a stranger morphs from unsettling to terrifying when you discover the stranger's identity. He is simultaneously more and less than he appears.
An injured man lost in the wilderness is haunted by a demon that he might or might not recognize from his past.
From there you are taken on a meandering journey through a skewed world where nothing, not even a lowly can of bug spray, can ever be considered harmless or innocent. Some truly unique takes on dark fiction are offered up, including "Room 9," which any Beatles fan will appreciate while perhaps never looking at John Lennon in quite the same way again.
Includes the entire text of the novel, THE IMMORTAL BREATH OF LIFE (An Egyptian Adventure)
These stories run the gamut from psychological horror to supernatural suspense to Lovecraftian nightmares. Will make you question your own beliefs about sanity and madness.
Includes Hall's first ever published short story, 1995s "Bug Shot"

Crown of Insight: Godly Games (Web of Hearts and Souls #1) (Insight series)
Willow Haywood has always been trapped between the worlds of the Light and the Dark. Her waking hours are plagued by her ability to feel the emotions of those around her. No matter how inward she draws, she cannot shut out the feelings of others. Sometimes she will see images - echoes of other people and places - that she can enter to influence the emotions of people she has never met.
By night, Willow experiences her only escape from this terrible insight - entering into the world of dreams. Most of these dreams are shared in blissful silence with a stunning blue-eyed boy. But every new moon she lives through something much darker: a horrific nightmare shared by another mysterious boy who is always shrouded by shadows.
One night, this shadowy figure invades her dreams outside of his appointed time. In this new nightmare, Willow is marked; a mark which follows her into the waking world and sets her on a momentous path through light and darkness, through fragmented myth and half-truths, through past lives and disturbing family secrets, all in the face of the ever-dominant Zodiac. What she finds will endanger the lives of those closest to her and will force her to make a decision that will change her world forever.

Pass/Fail
Jake's senior year of high school is shaping up pretty well, until his guidance counselor takes him aside to put him in a special program. "You're on a Pass/Fail basis now. If you pass enough tests you'll graduate with honors and I'll shake your hand. If you fail three tests, I'll personally take you behind the gymnasium and put a bullet in your head."
Now Jake's navigating a crazy maze of diabolic puzzles and impossible moral choices. And he's already failed his first test...

The House on Blackstone Moor (The Blackstone Vampires Book 1)
"They say my father was mad, so corrupted by evil and tainted by sin that he did what he did. I came home to find them all dead; their throats savagely cut. My sisters only five and eight were gone as well as my brother who was twelve. My mother too lay butchered in her marriage bed. The bed her children were born in..."Young Rose Baines discovers the savage murders of her family by her mad, incestuous father.
She is plunged into a nightmare of hell and is incarcerated in two madhouses after which she is helped to obtain a position as governess at Blackstone House.
The house is located on haunted moorland. Nothing is as it seems for Blackstone House and its inhabitants have hideous secrets. There is unimaginable horror there but there is love too--love that comes at a terrible price.
The story is as haunting as it is terrifying and will remain with the reader long after its disturbing tale has been told.

http://www.amazon.com/Angel-Shadows-Book-Series-ebook/dp/B0052AI5W8/ref=zg_bs_157060011_f_82
Fifteen-year-old Megan Laughlin has a gift--or what seems like a curse at times. Megan sees angels and demons.
Megan knows her destiny is to protect her friends against dark angels who try to sway them into situations that can destroy their lives, their souls, and their eternity.
At school, she recognizes Judas, an über popular boy, as an evil angel hell-bent on destroying her and everyone she loves. As Judas spreads horrible rumors and overdoses two of her classmates at a rave, Megan realizes the enormity of his power. While classmates die, Megan, with the help of an angel, Johnny, and a team of friends will face the fight of their lives as they battle Judas.
Megan thinks God hasn't given her any "special" powers, but discovers she has what she needs as she confronts Judas and his seemingly unconquerable power.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2013, 5:31:28 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 21, 2013, 7:45:45 AM PST
@ 4Nbahu ~ I actually use Nielsen-Massey Vanillas 4-oz Pure Vanilla Bean Paste ~ But, I've used regular ~ normal ~ extract before. It really is to taste. A splash for a difficult to place hint of it or more ONCE you realize how much you like it. The Nielsen-Massey Vanillas 4-oz Pure Vanilla Bean Paste is actually a paste or a syrup and I use a good "dollop" (maybe 1/2 - 1 tablespoon ~ give or take) to a 2 quart pitcher.

O ~ and this is the BEST vanilla EVER... Lots of lovely vanilla bean flecks, rich intense vanilla flavor and because there's sugar, it's nice and sweet. You can literally put a spoonful in your mouth and enjoy it... (well, maybe not a spoonful... lol ~ but definitely a finger dipped in is lovely)

I use it in everything I can think of... I'm shocked I never thought to put it in hot chocolate before... But, I don't really drink hot chocolate all that often...

Posted on Jan 21, 2013, 5:54:58 AM PST
Denise Long says:
Thanks for the great start and story, Leo.

my picks:

Cover Her Body, A Singular Village Mystery (Singular Village Mysteries)
Capture
The Sourdough Wars (Rebecca Schwartz Mystery #2) (The Rebecca Schwartz Series)
The Enchantress (Book 1 of The Enchantress Saga)
The Life I Dreamed

Happy reading
and
have fun.

Posted on Jan 21, 2013, 6:05:42 AM PST
Rose Red says:
Good Morning Friends!

@Leo Little, Thanks for the start today.

I can't believe that January is flying by so fast! I have been so busy that I can't seem to find the time to read all of the post on this thread.

I have been trying to do things for myself, mainly taking better care of myself. I have spent so many years taking care of sick parents and now added to the mix my sister that had a stroke that I forgot what it meant to have a me day.

I started walking and trying to get out of the house just for me instead of running errands, paying bills, getting groceries for my dad and sister which consumes a lot of time. I was starting to get really depressed and overwhelmed.

I decided to turn my life around and do something for myself. I started on Weight Watchers Online last week. I have gained some weight because I had some health issues that prevented me from exercising for a while. So the weight just kept creeping up. I have been on the Weight Watchers program before years ago and lost weight and kept it off until my mom passed away and I just couldn't cope with it. I am a stress eater. I am learning WW program all over as it has changed so much and technology has made it so much better. No more carrying a little paper slider to calculate my points, I just do it from my phone. lol WW has a special thru March 16 join for 3 months for like $59, so I thought I would take advantage of it.

Hopefully as I exercise, loose weight and get myself in better health I will have more energy to do the things that I love. I really enjoy reading everyone's post. Sometimes I don't get to do it until late at night and by then I am too tired to read them all.

I haven't been finding but a couple of freebies each day and hardly ever any from my WL. I guess I own almost all of the freebies Amazon has LOL!

I hope everyone has a wonderful Monday! :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2013, 6:11:56 AM PST
4Nbahu says:
@ Wandering Reader don't worry if you haven't read them, just that you added them. However, should you actually read one of the free books that you have one clicked or if you see another freebie that you have read, then let us know what you think about it.

I assume the bourbon vanilla is alcoholic, if so I will have to find something else.

I am trying to give up coffee and tea. I replaced my hot drink with hot chocolate and/or soup. I recommend reintroducing hot chocolate. It is gooooood.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2013, 6:13:57 AM PST
4Nbahu says:
@ Rose Red best of luck and perseverance on you weight loss project.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2013, 6:20:00 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 21, 2013, 6:20:58 AM PST
@4Nbahu ~ Actually, the ingredients state nothing about bourbon or alcohol, but since it is actually labeled "Bourbon Vanilla" perhaps it is best to assume it does have bourbon in it...

I'll have to do exactly that... I keep hot cocoa packets on hand for my daughters and they make it for themselves (they're 15 & 16), so I have no excuse. Now I do drink coffee (on rare occasions ~ like really cold, lazy mornings with the husband) and tea (more often ~ 1 x weekly), but that lemonade, I live off of. It's not quite homemade... it's Crystal Light Lemonade Drink Mix (12-Quart), 3.2-Ounce Packages (Pack of 4) it's pretty much what I drink on a regular basis... That or water... I try to limit my sugar in my drinks... I find it is WAY too easy to consume sugar in my drinks... I'd rather EAT my sugar... ;D

Posted on Jan 21, 2013, 6:59:30 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 21, 2013, 7:13:55 AM PST
Good morning all :) Thank you for the start, Leo. Let's see what's available for me today with the switch to the .ca store:

WHY ARE ALL THE GOOD GUYS TOTAL MONSTERS? (Romance) - De-ann Black - Romance
OOPS! I'M A SECRET AGENT (Romance) - De-ann Black - Romance
The Moving Prison: A Novel - William Mirza - Historical
Revenge (The Unfaithful Series, #2) - Joanne Clancy - Romance
The Darkest of Shadows - Lisse Smith - Mystery/Thriller/Suspense
THE SUM OF HIS WORTH - Ron Argo - Historical
The Enchantress (Book 1 of The Enchantress Saga) - Nicola Thorne - Family Saga
Palm Trees in the Pyrenees (Death in the Pyrenees) - Elly Grant - Mystery/Thriller/Suspense
Once on a high and windy hill - Deni Rogers - Romance

Edited to remove a book that was not free.

Posted on Jan 21, 2013, 7:01:00 AM PST
kajola says:
Leo Thanks for the start and the continuing story.

Did anyone else notice the author who posted her book that is free today on a FB&C thread from November? I reported it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2013, 7:09:18 AM PST
What's a FB&C thread?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2013, 7:10:45 AM PST
@DonnaBeeGood ~ {shakes head sadly} Nope ~ Dark Side of the Moon ~ does not show as free...
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
We're Quirky! There Are Various Critters, Including Tail-less Manx Kittens, Here. We Also Have Hugh Manatee. Bring Your Quilting And Sewing Projects, Your Camera, And Your Instant Pot. So Geese And Tally Ho! 1281 3 minutes ago
Cannot filter my Amazon wishlist by price drop 58 5 minutes ago
FREE Books & Chat - May 2017 696 20 minutes ago
my screen won't change orientation when turned. 73 49 minutes ago
Kindle for Mac/PC view modes 21 50 minutes ago
Freebie Books - Links Only - No Self Promotion IV 9600 52 minutes ago
87th RAOK Let the winter fun begin! 8459 1 hour ago
It's After Midnight and I Just Opened a Bottle of Wine 6779 2 hours ago
Kindle Fire free up internal storage? 180 3 hours ago
the life span of a kindle fire hd 72 3 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  37
Total posts:  157
Initial post:  Jan 21, 2013
Latest post:  Jan 26, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers