Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Transferring ownership

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 18, 2014, 10:22:28 AM PDT
Sooz says:
If I buy a Kindle Fire and give my Kindle [keyboard] to my sister or a friend, can my ownership of my Kindle [keyboard] be transferred to whomever so that it is off my account and onto one created by whomever?

Thanks ~

Posted on May 18, 2014, 10:30:16 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 18, 2014, 10:33:34 AM PDT
🌲Arual says:
Yes. You'll want to do two things before handing it off:

First, set the Kindle to factory defaults. This will erase all the books and content from it.

Second, go to "Manage Your Content and Devices" and deregister it from your account.

But are you sure you want to give it away? Many people have both a Kindle to read on, and a Fire to do everything else. It is just so much easier on the eyes to read on an e-ink device. Remember also that it is next to impossible to use a Fire outside because of the type of display it uses (like a computer or phone screen).

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2014, 10:35:16 AM PDT
Reset it to factory defaults. This will remove all content and personal settings and deregister it from your account. You will not lose any software updates.

Menu > Settings > Menu (again) > Reset to Factory Defaults or Reset Device.

Posted on May 18, 2014, 10:44:00 AM PDT
Sooz says:
Thanks, Arual and Pineapple ~ I confess Arual's comments are making me rethink my original post ~

Sooz

Posted on May 18, 2014, 10:56:43 AM PDT
Mary Ellen says:
I'd also recommend keeping the e-ink Kindle. The Fires are great devices but you can't read on them in the sun. I use my Fire(s)...mostly the HDX for reading inside as well as watching videos, playing games, email, and light web surfing but the e-ink are my choice for long car trips or use outside in daylight hours.

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2014, 11:19:41 AM PDT
You're welcome.

Yes, I do my heavy duty reading on my e-ink Kindles and use my Fires for other stuff.

Posted on May 18, 2014, 12:57:10 PM PDT
Jay says:
I read on E-Ink models-Kindles / PaperWhites-and listen to Audible e-books on a Fire HDX. I have given other E-Ink Models away to friends / family-a Touch to my sister, etc-and I have other E-Inks I sometimes loan to friends temporarily. It makes sense to have a spare Kindle, or two, around...especially when one breaks down, and you need something to read on / listen to while waiting for the replacement to arrive.

Posted on May 19, 2014, 6:34:45 AM PDT
Sooz says:
Thanks to everyone for your replies ~ you've convinced me it makes sense to keep my Kindle [keyboard] and to get a Kindle Fire [just because I want one] ~

Sooz

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2014, 6:39:55 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 19, 2014, 6:44:00 AM PDT
Exactly!

ETA: Right now, Amazon is selling Certified Refurbished Kindle Fire HDs at amazing prices. The warranty is the same as a new device.

Deal of the day......
Certified Refurbished Kindle Fire HD 8.9" 4G LTE Wireless, Dolby Audio, Dual-Band Wi-Fi, 32 GB - Includes Special Offers (Previous Generation - 2nd)

Lightning Deal right now.....$109

Certified Refurbished Kindle Fire HD 7", Dolby Audio, Dual-Band Wi-Fi, 32 GB - Includes Special Offers [Previous Generation]

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2014, 6:44:48 AM PDT
BWAHahahahahah! A convert. Awesome.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
How to change to black background and white letters? 96 7 hours ago
audible narration 3 7 hours ago
SwagBucks Thread 2016 2613 7 hours ago
We're Quirky! There Are Various Critters, Including Tail-less Manx Kittens, Here. We Also Have Hugh Manatee. Bring Your Quilting And Sewing Projects, Your Camera, And Your Instant Pot. So Geese And Tally Ho! 4381 7 hours ago
Discounted / Price Dropped Kindle eBooks IV 2808 7 hours ago
FREE Books & Chat - September 2017 528 7 hours ago
Amazon Echo (Part 2) 704 8 hours ago
88th Raok - roads? Where we're going we don't need roads! 2119 8 hours ago
Amazon hacked?? Copy of my email.... 694 8 hours ago
New Fire HD 10 tablets - Oct 2017 24 8 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  10
Initial post:  May 18, 2014
Latest post:  May 19, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer