Industrial Deals Beauty Oprah's Book Club STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now STEMClub17_gno
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Credit/Debit card information compromised more than once on amazon?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-21 of 21 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 10, 2014, 8:21:31 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 10, 2014, 8:26:47 PM PDT
Riley says:
Just wondering if any other people have had credit / debit card information compromised when used on amazon.com for purchases. I used my credit card about two years ago and it got compromised, and I did not think of it by amazon, then last fall of 2013 I used a debit card and I was notified by the bank that it was compromised still did not put two and two together about amazon.com purchases and bought somethings last February no problems. Finally I purchased Items June 4th of 2014 and on June 10th five other purchases at department stores around the U.S was made and my bank notified me of my card being compromised again, and I know for a fact I only used it on amazon.com on June 4th no other places in June. Has any other users of amazon.com had this problem? please reply

Thanks.

Posted on Jun 10, 2014, 8:23:25 PM PDT
In 10ish years on Amazon I have never had an issue.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2014, 8:47:10 PM PDT
I have not had a problem with Amazon. My bank did reissue one of my cards after the Target thing though.

Perhaps your WiFi is not secure and someone has hacked your PC.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2014, 8:51:57 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 10, 2014, 8:53:59 PM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:
I have never had any problems in over 10 years.

Just because your card was used in June doesn't mean that is when it was compromised. I would also make sure you don't have a virus on your computer.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2014, 8:53:18 PM PDT
I have been on Amazon since the late 1990s with no problems with my credit card.

Are you certain that you don't have a keylogger, or similar malware, on your computer?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2014, 9:23:57 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 20, 2014, 8:31:46 AM PST
CBRetriever says:
mine was compromised by using it at a gas station to buy gas and that happened at least a month after I last used that gas station - the owner's nephew was arrested when the cc numbers from a lot of people started being used around the country (shown on local TV)

on the other hand, the two I use on Amazon (two different sites) have never been compromised

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2014, 9:43:46 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 10, 2014, 9:48:29 PM PDT
Lplady says:
A new leak happened when experian got hacked. That was fairly recently. Two States are investigating it. I BING'd it about a month ago. I have been subject to identity theft this year. Experian, TransUnion, and the other credit bureau.

I have not had a problem with Amazon in the 12 years I have been using them. I used to buy dtb from them.

Posted on Jun 10, 2014, 9:46:36 PM PDT
Artist says:
Never. Amazon wasn't even affected by the Hearbleed virus, so their site is more secure than most. You should do a virus check and a malware check because it's most likely happening on your end. Also, change your e-mail passwords. One of my e-mail login name and password was on a list of information being sold, but I was able to change everything before anything bad happened. I use Lifelock because I had by identity stolen years ago, before I even had a home computer. The cops figured out that it was someone at a medical billing company who had stolen and was selling that personal information, so you never know where the info is coming from.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2014, 10:52:07 PM PDT
GDabney says:
Todd: I've never had a problem with any of my information being compromised, and I been dealing with Amazon 12 plus years.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2014, 11:48:45 PM PDT
musicmomma says:
I have been buying stuff on Amazon with my debit and credit cards long before there were Kindles and still do. I have never had a problem with anyone hacking into my account.

Does anyone else have access to your account? There have been some good suggestions as to what to do to check the safety of your cards. I would also call your bank. I really do not believe that Amazon is the problem.

Like most people here, I purchase many things from Amazon and do not have a problem with my cards. I hope you find out what the problem is.

Posted on Jun 11, 2014, 4:49:16 AM PDT
Pageturner says:
Adding my voice to the above, I've been using Amazon since the late 90s and never had a credit card problem. One of the easiest places for someone to steal a credit card number is when you give it to a server in a restaurant to be scanned and it is out of your sight. Don't assume it happened online.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2014, 6:22:05 AM PDT
missa lou says:
I've never had problems and its not Amazon. Sounds like you have a virus or malware that is recognizing your keyboard strokes, so when you entered your card info, they find it and start using it too. Also, it may just be coincidence that it happened shortly after buying of Amazon.com - how many other places did you use that card in the days/week before that it could have been compromised at.

Posted on Jun 11, 2014, 6:30:08 AM PDT
Your credit card is more secure when stored here than when you use it at stores, gas stations, or restaurants. We use only one credit card online, which also makes it easy to track, or to cancel if necessary.

Every time you enter your credit card number online, or hand it to a server, there is potential for trouble. Do you always use a secure network? I know folks with wide open WiFi networks who do their banking online. Many folks shop while on an unsecured network.

When your info is stored on Amazon, you don't need to enter the CC number. That makes it more secure, not less.

Posted on Nov 20, 2014, 8:30:27 AM PST
I. Fagin says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2014, 8:35:11 AM PST
CBRetriever says:
I'll repeat my experience: mine was compromised by using it at a gas station to buy gas and that happened at least a month after I last used that gas station - the owner's nephew was arrested when the cc numbers from a lot of people started being used around the country (shown on local TV)

The nephew made the charge a month after I last used the card, so if I was looking at the date my card was compromised, it would not point to when my card was hacked/compromised. The same thing happened two weeks after I used a credit card in Barcelona (I only use that card when I travel) and we again had to cancel a card.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2014, 8:44:21 AM PST
"...that they were checking to see if they could get away with the $1 purchase..."

That's *exactly* what thieves do, to see if a card has been deactivated, yet! Unfortunately, this does sort of sound like someone at Amazon has gained access to cc numbers that they shouldn't have.

Where was the $1 transaction done, out of curiosity? A gas station or what?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2014, 8:57:56 AM PST
CBRetriever says:
again, some of the recently hacked information from Home Depot, Target, the parking garage at the Cleveland City Hall, and the United States Postal Service may have just been sold to someone who's using them - hackers who gain information of that sort often sell it in small blocks to different scammers so not everyone is hacked at the same time

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2014, 8:59:03 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 20, 2014, 9:00:23 AM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
It could also be the banks that issue the cards. Not long ago there was a news story about Chase being hacked.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/blogs/dealbook/2014/10/02/jpmorgan-discovers-further-cyber-security-issues/?_r=0&referrer=

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2014, 9:06:39 AM PST
A small charge like that does not always indicate a compromised card. Some retailers do automatic small $1 authorizations to test stored cards to see if they are still good, esp if there is a preorder on the account about to be released. Amazon does this from time to time. If that $1 charge was from Amazon you should check with Amazon to see if they did a test $1 authorization.

CC numbers can be compromised in other ways, it doesn't have to be due to a retailer breach. The CC processing company can also be breached. Heck.. CC thieves have, for decades, used a very simple CC number generation process that creates random combinations of CC#/Exp dates/CVV codes that they then test by doing small charges. In your case, if you truly do not use it anywhere else and the retailer that the $1 charge is on is not Amazon, unless your computer had malware that was capturing your info when you originally entered the CC into in to Amazon, the CC generation process is the most likely reason.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2014, 9:14:06 AM PST
CBRetriever says:
Paypal when you set up an account makes an automatic $1 charge which is later refunded as does eBay if I remember rightly. We changed our credit card on Paypal and got the same mystery charge and it turned out that was what it was

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2014, 9:23:03 AM PST
Just Peachy says:
Did you pre-order something recently? Did you sign up for something like Kindle Unlimited? Amazon may have sent that as a test to make sure they can charge against that card. The charge will then be released.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
We're Quirky! There Are Various Critters, Including Tail-less Manx Kittens, Here. We Also Have Hugh Manatee. Bring Your Quilting And Sewing Projects, Your Camera, And Your Instant Pot. So Geese And Tally Ho! 2345 1 minute ago
KINDLE KITCHEN #6: A place for sharing, caring, chat and FUN! 7790 1 minute ago
Dragi's Croatian Crab Shack and Wine Bar - The Answers Are Blowing In The Wind 5547 5 minutes ago
Amazon Echo (Alexa) bass and treble settings 2 9 minutes ago
SwagBucks Thread 2016 2270 9 minutes ago
Elephants Three at The Ģrandest Hotel - Part IV 5936 15 minutes ago
Amazon Echo (Part 2) 572 37 minutes ago
Kindle Free Time & Audible 39 54 minutes ago
Freebie Books - Links Only - No Self Promotion IV 9703 1 hour ago
On Deck Disabled but still downloads movies 14 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  17
Total posts:  21
Initial post:  Jun 10, 2014
Latest post:  Nov 20, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.