Your Garage Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle for a beginning reader - help pronouncing words

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 26 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 24, 2011 8:38:00 AM PDT
I want to get my daughter an ereader. She is just learning and is doing fantastic - we are currently reading Wizard of Oz together. I want to get her a reader that will allow her to read to herself. If she comes across a word she does not know, I want it to read that one word to her somehow. I don't want it to read her the whole book - just help her out if she comes across a word she can't pronounce. Will any of the readers in the Kindle family do this??

Posted on Oct 24, 2011 8:39:43 AM PDT
My kindle (3) has text to speech, but it often mispronounces words.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2011 8:44:47 AM PDT
But will the text to speech only do that ONE word or will it just start reading the whole book? I'd like for her to be able to touch a word she has a problem with and the reader pronounce that one word. I don't want her to have to turn on text to speech and then turn it off each time - that sounds like a lot of buttons for her to push.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2011 8:46:15 AM PDT
quilt lover says:
You can't do one word at a time on TTS anyway.
Katie, if you scroll to the word it will give you the dictionary pronunciation but it will not read aloud to her. Maybe someone else has a better idea.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2011 8:47:53 AM PDT
quilt lover says:
You wouldn't want the TTS for this purpose even if it could do one word at a time. Inflections and pronunciations are too often wrong, I would not count on it at all.

Posted on Oct 24, 2011 8:49:07 AM PDT
There are specialized devices for beginning readers. Check the toy department for electronic reading toys.

Posted on Oct 24, 2011 9:03:17 AM PDT
I have looked at the child-friendly versions and they all read TO her. I want her to do most of the reading herself. Thanks for all these answers! I didn't think I'd have this much luck.

Posted on Oct 24, 2011 9:25:22 AM PDT
This sounds like a great idea for kindle to add to their devices.....have audible pronunciation with the definition.

Posted on Oct 24, 2011 9:30:59 AM PDT
PF says:
An epub app on an Android device may better suit your needs. We use Aldiko with the Merriam Webster app at work when we're dealing with rehabilitative reading therapy post stroke or brain cancer treatment. Individual words can be tapped to get both definition and pronunciation.

We don't yet know if the Kindle Fire's reading app will allow third party programs to access it. At present, the Kindle app for Android will not allow external dictionaries access and the installed dictionaries do not have audio capabilities.

Posted on Oct 24, 2011 9:31:46 AM PDT
momtaxi says:
The dictionary installed in your K all show the standard pronunciation symbols. Is she old enough to learn and use those? Being able to read those symbols is a great tool to learn.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2011 9:33:21 AM PDT
 Ann says:
No, the Kindle won't read just one word. When my daughter comes across an unfamiliar word, she just asks me to pronounce and/or define it for her.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2011 10:25:54 AM PDT
Just Peachy says:
I am middle-aged and still struggle with dictionary pronunciation keys. I'm so happy to be able to hear the pronunciation via my computer.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2011 11:45:21 AM PDT
Miss Carol says:
That's what I was going to say to do - when we were kids, we just took the book up to my mom and she read the 1 word for us!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2011 12:18:20 PM PDT
If she's that beginning a reader, I'd say go with something DESIGNED for children, like VTech - V.Reader Animated E-Book System - Pink I think this will do exactly as you describe.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2011 12:19:31 PM PDT
Or this LeapFrog LeapPad1 Explorer Learning Tablet, green

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2011 12:20:24 PM PDT
Or my personal fave: VTech InnoTab 1 Kids Tablet, Blue

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2011 12:22:14 PM PDT
But it's so often WRONG.

"Carpenter" comes out "carPENTr".

"Yeah" comes out "yay".

Things like that. It's NOT intuitive at all.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2011 6:32:10 PM PST
thatz what the reason i return my kindle, me too dont want to read the whole story to my kids , only the words that she dont know.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2012 9:38:35 PM PST
Susan Jane says:
I've downloaded aldiko and merriam but this feature doesn't seem to work. Is there a setting I should know of?

Posted on Mar 6, 2012 12:09:53 PM PST
i would soooooo no depend on the TTS feature on a kindle for the purpose of trying to help a new reader. firstly the process is meant to read the whole book, not just one word. secondly the computer generated voice is TERRIBLE and often mispronounces words and has little or no concept of puncutation (that is an editing issue and thus not kindle's fault but still an issue).

you would be much better off with a product that is designed for that feature like a leap pad or something like that. firstly a leap pad is designed for children so it is much more rugged, it does not have one click shopping which many parents seem to have a major issue with, it is designed to read just the word the child points out and thear are a lot of other truely awsome educattional games for your child to play.

once your child knows how to read the kindle (as long as they are responsible with only purchashing what you allow and in taking care of the device and not treating it harshly) is great but for your expressed purpose...... i would say no

Posted on May 8, 2012 1:06:43 PM PDT
Scholastic's free Storia app for children is available for PCs and iPads but not Kindle, Nook or other ereaders. I have it on my laptop and love the features. A particularly valuable feature that Storia provides is the ability to touch a word and hear an audible pronunciation. This is the best use of ereading for struggling readers - wish the Kindle could do this.

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2012 1:04:39 PM PDT
Ruth Cole says:
Do you know if there is a way to get the Merriam Webster app on my tablet without Google Play. I can't get it downloaded.

Posted on May 16, 2012 1:23:04 PM PDT
There's a great freebie app for the Kindle Fire: Dictionary which has a nice pronounciation feature -- you can even choose to listen to the word spoken in a US and/or British accent.

Of course you have to open the app and look up the word, so it isn't the read-along function that OP is looking for. But it is a wonderful dictionary with myriad other features built-in.

Posted on Mar 17, 2013 8:25:08 PM PDT
S. Sanders says:
So pleased, Storia is available on the kindle app market now.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2015 2:31:56 PM PST
Janet Bhne says:
I have the kindle on my iphone 6 plus and when I click on a word it has many different choices of what dictionary I would like to use. It also allows me to pick a language and to hear the pronunciations and they are perfect.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  19
Total posts:  26
Initial post:  Oct 24, 2011
Latest post:  Dec 16, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions