Amazon Vehicles Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle and eTextbooks

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 9, 2009 8:49:14 PM PST
J. Robinson says:
I am considering a Kindle because I am a student at Grand Canyon University and all of my books for school are ebooks. What I am wondering is if anyone has used Kindle for their ebooks and if so what is their experience?

Posted on Mar 4, 2013 6:37:31 PM PST
My experience on their systems have been poor. The menu system does not work correctly which means you only have access to a limited set of functionality. Download doesn't appear to work either. At home, I e-mail the documents to myself then download them to the Kindle. You will want to purchase the office app for $14 that gives you a better reader for PDFs than Kindle. I love reading on the Kindle and I have the keyboard as well. Its a great tool but lousy on the GCU system. You would do better to purchase a laptop for now. Despite this problem, I still love the Kindle. Its very well done.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2013 5:16:19 AM PST
Sarida says:
I have the Kindle Keyboard, and I have to say, that I struggled with it.

I like to have texts open in front of me when writing papers/reports and having to turn back and forth the pages in the Kindle was awkward. It is impossible to quickly thumb through something to find a particular passage. Of course different texts are set up differently, but it is very important to highlight or mark passages as you read in order to have a quick way to come back to that text.

If you are in classes that require graphs and charts, I'd really be cautious. If you are in classes that just require rote memorization and regurgitation of the texts, then something like that may be beneficial. I'm sure there are ebooks that have caught up to technology by making charts and graphs efriendly, but I'm not expert enough to give advice on that. I'm sure it depends on the text and format.

I'd ask your professors and friends what their experiences are. It's still an investment. I found buying used textbooks off of Amazon, eBay and half.com to be cheapest anyway. Amazon has a buy back program for books, and you can now rent textbooks from many sources.

Posted on Mar 5, 2013 5:30:09 AM PST
The OP was written in 2009. Just FYI...

Posted on Mar 5, 2013 6:14:45 AM PST
Yes, it's likely that j Robinson figured out an answer long ago, probably has graduated by now.

Posted on Mar 5, 2013 7:42:26 PM PST
Sarida says:
Ah...I suckered in....
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Battery life for basic Kindle (am I doing something wrong 1 9 minutes ago
Elephants Three at The Ģrandest Hotel - Part IV 4971 1 hour ago
86th RAoK - Let the Games Begin 4414 1 hour ago
We're Quirky And We Know It! Come Witness The Howling Dink, Hussy Turkey Hens, And A Veritable Plethora Of Other Beasts! So Geese! 5755 1 hour ago
Kindle Fire Slow WiFi 91 1 hour ago
Kindle / Audible Recommendations and Deals (KARD) 3297 1 hour ago
Play Music by Folders? 2 1 hour ago
Free Books and Chat - August 2016 763 1 hour ago
kindle fire HD 7" randomly turns off 382 1 hour ago
Enable Javascript on Kindle Fire 146 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  5
Total posts:  6
Initial post:  Nov 9, 2009
Latest post:  Mar 5, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions