Amazon Vehicles Fall Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer conj2 conj2 conj2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

20 Acts/26 Acts

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-13 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 18, 2012 6:11:31 AM PST
Ann Curry wondered aloud on air how we should combat the evil from Friday with acts of kindness. It is spreading, from a delivery of Christmas trees from NC to Newtown, an anonymous donor paying for a day of free coffee at the general store in Newtown, to paying off layaway for strangers, to buying a helmet for a child. I chose to pay for medication for a sick friend who has no money and no insurance.

20 acts/26 acts. Random acts of kindness to respond to evil with good. Anyone else interested?

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 6:17:34 AM PST
Dianne says:
I hadn't heard about this -- I had heard about the Comfort Dogs, as a matter of fact I'm watching something about this on TV NY channel 4 right now.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 6:24:00 AM PST
Two of the boys were Cub Scouts; I run my son's Pack. We are planning some sort of honorific; we are thinking of naming our scholarship fund (which pays for dues, handbooks, and uniforms for families who can't afford them) the Chad & Ben Fund. Each family who receives something from the account in the future would get a little slip of paper, acknowledging that the gift was made in memory of Chad & Ben. That's the working idea, anyway...

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 6:35:13 AM PST
P. M. H. says:
I think this is something we should practice all year round. When we see a need and have the ability to help, just do it. As some here know, when I was young I was give love and support by a wonderful woman named Willa Mae. By the time I realized how important she was to me so much time had gone by that it wasn't possible to go back and find her and say "thank you". So I decided to pay it forward. I give gifts to others to fill a need in their lives. Sometimes it is buying/paying for something, other times it is running around getting something. Today, it is going to the Post Office for a friend in a retirement home and getting her stamps - a bunch - 60. :) She is paying me back - she just can't get out to shop.

Peace, what a great thing to do, getting the medicine.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 6:42:34 AM PST
I do my best year round as well. I will perform 20/26 acts in direct remembrance of the children who lost their lives.

Those comfort dogs are a great idea. I am training my Bichon to be able to visit schools and nursing homes. There is nothing like the unconditional love of an animal.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 6:56:32 AM PST
A few years back, I had an extensive illness that left me in the hospital around the holidays for over a month. Then a 6 week stay in a nursing facility. Even though I had a lot of quality visits from friends and family, the pet visits meant so much to me. I'm not even a "dog person" in general, but the several dogs (and their owner/trainers) that these visiting services brought into my room over my long stay were so very special. I remember, especially, one golden lab visited and he just dropped his head right on my knee and let me pet and coo over him for about 10 minutes. I was feeling really despondent and in a lot of pain that day, too. That 10 minute visit lifted my spirits and seemed to make my pain medication work better. I felt so much better during and after that visit.

So, thank you, Peace On Earth & Amazing Grace, for training your sweet doggie for these visits. These visits do wonders for the people in hospitals and nursing facilities. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 7:16:15 AM PST
Thanks for that lovely post. I became determined to train a service dog after my brother had a spinal injury. He too was in great pain and quite despondent. They brought in a Rottweiler and the simple act of petting him turned into throwing a ball for him and wound up with my brother walking the dog.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 7:29:53 AM PST
Thanks for sharing your inspiring story. I hope your brother is doing well now. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 8:17:58 AM PST
He is doing great now thanks. I do hope others will find some inspiration from this thread and will respond to Friday's evil with outpourings of kindness and generosity. I hope we get more than 26 acts.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 8:24:53 AM PST
a group of triathlete's have started a facebook page called Race for Chase - he was 7 when he died and had just competed in and won his first triathlon - we will be raising money during the year - I believe they are still discussing what to do with it (charities etc)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 8:55:34 AM PST
I have read about and seen on TV, many expressions of charity and empathy. I hope regular posters and lurkers here will perform random acts in memory of those kids. We can continue to try and make this world a little more kind.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 9:19:30 AM PST
i had already decided (prior to Sandy Hook) - that each month, I am going to donate $5 for each blog post that I write to a charity - going to change the charity every month - did this in November and made a donation of $105 to the New Jersey Foodbank for Hurricane sandy relief

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 10:16:13 AM PST
Good for you, Deanna.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Voyage Battery Dead - replace? 20 12 minutes ago
Freebie Books - Links Only - No Self Promotion IV 8202 13 minutes ago
Australian/Kiwi kindle users thread #4 - "the BBQ" 6789 36 minutes ago
Free Books and Chat - August 2016 847 1 hour ago
Kindle Fire Battery losing charge...Fast 5 1 hour ago
My kindle won't turn on 3328 1 hour ago
We're Quirky And We Know It! Come Witness The Howling Dink, Hussy Turkey Hens, And A Veritable Plethora Of Other Beasts! So Geese! 5984 1 hour ago
New Kindle Paperwhite Won't "Register to my Account" 3 2 hours ago
86th RAoK - Let the Games Begin 4630 2 hours ago
Kindle Limericks - Not for the humor impaired 3482 2 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  6
Total posts:  13
Initial post:  Dec 18, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 18, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions