Your Garage Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Samsung S8 Launch Limited time offer Grocery Handmade Mother's Day Gifts Shop Popular Services henriettalacks henriettalacks henriettalacks  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Shop Now disgotg_gno_17
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Broken Screen - Who fixes?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 175 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 28, 2014, 2:50:19 PM PDT
How do I go about getting my Kindle HDx screen repaired? I do not have insurance and was wanting to know who to reach out to to get it fixed?

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2014, 2:52:52 PM PDT
Angie, Amazon doesn't fix any Kindles. You'll need to do your own searching online or at local cell phone repair shops.

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2014, 2:59:51 PM PDT
Unfortunately nobody fixes those since it costs almost as much to replace the screen as to buy a new one. You might ask around any local cell phone repair shops in your area to see if any of them would be willing to try and can quote a reasonable price.

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2014, 4:15:26 PM PDT
HJ Leonard says:
It might be cheaper to get a refurbished Kindle than to try to find a 3rd party who can repair it.

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2014, 4:23:03 PM PDT
if you bought some kind of insurance on it (where?) you might want to check if it would even cover a screen repair. check any local electronic repair story (DO NOT go to places like Best Buy). there are some reputable ebay auctions that offer kindle repair. most of those are for the loose charge ports, but you can run a search on the right for ebay auctions in the forum (take the checkmark off for search only this discussion). I think your best bet is to do what everyone already suggested and get a new device.

Posted on May 28, 2014, 4:28:54 PM PDT
KindleWrite says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on May 31, 2014, 4:29:24 PM PDT
HAHA. DON'T BUY A NEW ONE. That would make you an idiot. This is the ONLY device whose screen not only is rendered USELESS when it's cracked, but can not be repaired. LEARN from your initial mistake (buying a Kindle Fire HDX) and go get another manufacturers device. The Kindle "fanboys" love to tell you not to be "so careless"...

In reply to an earlier post on May 31, 2014, 4:34:08 PM PDT
PeepDittie says:
So you've been waiting to pounce since April? smh

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2014, 6:16:18 AM PDT
The screens are very fragile and unrepairable. I'm not sure what you're referring to (waiting to pounce since April). I bought 4 of these products for Christmas last year, only 1 survives. It's not practical to say "buy another one and don't be careless". I own 6 Kindles in total, 5 of them are Fires. The Kindle Fire HD (not HDX) has survived ALONE with my 5 kids for a few years now. It has survived literally hundreds of "drops" without the screen cracking. It's one of my 2 surviving Kindle Fires. Three of the HDX's were dropped from less than 2 feet, suffered small cracks and are now totally useless (after just a few months).

On another note... WHY are you removing my posts Amazon!? I've answered the original posters question and then offered an opinion, just the same as Mr. "KindleWrite" up there. If you are going to remove my posts for offering a solution then please ALSO remove the "KindleWrite" post for telling people to buy "a new one". Or is THAT okay because he's telling people to buy a Kindle?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2014, 6:20:38 AM PDT
Miss Carol says:
There's really no point telling Amazon here your grievance about the removed post. They're not going to come back and read it. They remove them usually for either language or an issue that is against the TOS. You can read the rules somewhere on the site.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2014, 6:24:14 AM PDT
CBRetriever says:
psst, he can read them in the guidelines links to the lower right of the reply box

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2014, 6:29:29 AM PDT
PeepDittie says:
If you expect accidental damage coverage, pay for it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2014, 6:34:37 AM PDT
Agreed! When you buy this product "EXPECT ACCIDENTAL DAMAGE". I didn't based on my experience with the previous Kindle Fire and that was most certainly poor judgement on my part!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2014, 6:35:15 AM PDT
Thank you Miss Carol. I read the guidelines.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2014, 6:45:23 AM PDT
PeepDittie says:
Please, allow me to rephrase that: If *you* want accidental damage coverage, pay for it, instead of leaving a negative review and then coming in to a customer discussion stomping your feet that all the world's (again, the singular "you" as in "*your* world's") problems are Amazon's fault and couldn't possibly have anything to do with the way *your* devices have been handled.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2014, 6:53:03 AM PDT
Yes Dittie! And for all the other *you's* in the world. Learn from this *you's* mistake. I keep checking back to see if there will ever be an avenue for repairing these devices. When I see *customer discussion* (oh, and I AM a customer) telling people to just buy a new one and be careful, I will stomp my feet a little and do my best to offer proper advice based on the real world (which includes dropping a device every now and then).

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2014, 7:19:22 AM PDT
PeepDittie says:
What you're apparently not understanding is that this is a customer *community* (Amazon's word, not mine), hosted and paid for by Amazon and comprised of Kindle users who are, for the most part, Kindle fans. None of which is to say that some don't have complaints, legit or not. Honestly, Kindle is not, nor will probably ever be *my* e-book reader of preference -- but, ah, therein lies the difference between you and I. You see, I am part of this community and have some credibility here. Much to your chagrin, I'd venture to guess, I can come here and stomp my feet if a circumstance warrants or even if I just want to blow off steam, and reasonably expect that there is at least one someone here who cares what I have to say.

And, still, I would never never ever no not ever come here and warn customers off their device of preference. I would never come here to Amazon's playground and tell other responsible parents to buy their kids some other device just because my kids don't have enough respect for my hard earned money to realize that when they break one whatever, they aren't getting another one -- not from Amazon, not from mom, grandma or grandpa, or even from Craigslist free items listings. No, we're it my kid who broke the first one through no fault of anyone except himself, he wouldn't be getting another even if he broke into his piggy bank, and guess what? My kid now has a kid of his own who also respects the hard work he does in order to occasionally treat his daughter to some extra little something that she'd darn sure better take care of just as he would have, just as grandma Dittie would.

Yes, accidents do happen, but my kid, the upstanding responsible man I raised him to be would break his mothers heart if he were to barge in to a community discussion as you did just to warn Kindle fans that Amazon isn't going to perpetually cover his and his child's butts.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2014, 8:06:57 AM PDT
Miss Carol says:
Wow - I was really asleep when I was answering - I knew they were somewhere and just couldn't think of where! Duh!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2014, 8:17:40 AM PDT
CBRetriever says:
my mama woulda said "if it was a snake it woulda bit ya"

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2014, 8:42:55 AM PDT
You're getting personal (calling my children disrespectful), but I suppose that's what happens when someone of your (self) importance starts looking bad during a discussion on these forums. I'll play. Back at you:

If your son, having a differing opinion of your own while participating in a discussion (that he has every right to participate in), "breaks your heart", we are most certainly from 2 different worlds. I live in a world where it takes something far greater. This certainly explains a lot of your comments up to this point.

It's so sweet of you to think that your little angel of a granddaughter doesn't ever make mistakes. Maybe you should have a more open line of communication with your son. I'm pretty certain you don't get the full story. I'm sure, by that statement alone, that you only have one son and really have no idea what it takes to raise multiple (5 in my case).

My family is admittedly hard on devices. We choose to actually "use" them and no, we don't particularly "treasure" them. I'll give you that. I place more importance on respecting people and less importance on respecting "things" (maybe that's something for me to work on?). They are either tools or toys, that's it. ALL of my comments regarding the Fire HDX are in relation to other devices I have owned (for myself and for my 5 kids). OTHER devices have survived my horrible, "disrespectful", evil children. THIS device has not. It's a pretty simple observation that deserves to be known. Even if it comes from someone as unimportant as myself.

To insinuate that I have no business being here is a wonderful display of your own self importance. I applaud you for reading a lot of books but are you aware that Amazon does many other things? They even have a feature called "Free Time" that they use to target parents with small children. They even allow FOUR different Free Time profiles which makes me assume (just an assumption) that they are even targeting parents with MULTIPLE children (gasp). Are you really trying to tell me that your child and grandchild would never make a "mistake" out of respect!? That might be the craziest thing I have ever heard. Look up "mistake" in the dictionary. You seem like a fairly smart lady, do you really think that all "accidents" can be avoided by an overabundance of respect? Therefore ALL accidents are caused by a lack of respect?

You've made judgments about my parenting based on a few things stated in this thread. Allow me to do the same:
It sounds to me like there may have been some abuse in your family. I wonder what happened at your dinner table when your son spilled a glass of milk (presumably because he didn't respect the milk)? Did he ever break a window? Drop a dish (again, not respecting the dishes)? I assume you still have ALL of his toys right? I mean, EVERY one you ever bought him. Or, did he spill the milk before getting his first toy, therefore, he never got toys? I'm trying to understand your logic so that I can be a better parent to my 5 children, all honor roll and dean's list children by the way (Not that you bothered to ask).

Do me a favor, re-read this entire thread and then tell me who got nasty and personal first? I kind of think that someone of your stature and GREAT importance in this community would be above personal attacks. Don't you?

Clay

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2014, 9:13:47 AM PDT
You're the one who had a post deleted.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2014, 9:20:55 AM PDT
True. I didn't say anything that was against the "guidelines". Someone said "The screen can't be repaired. Buy a new one (kindle Fire HDX)" and I replied "The screen can't be repaired. Don't buy a new one (Kindle Fire HDX)". Guess whose post gets deleted?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2014, 9:24:16 AM PDT
But that is definitely treating the devices hard. You are like somebody warning customers that a Prius is unreasonably fragile and breaks down at the drop of a hat. Then you admit that you use it for offroading and towing a car trailer.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2014, 9:42:56 AM PDT
Keep in mind, I'm comparing it to every other device I have owned, including the Kindle Fire HD that is still alive and kicking. We (my family) are not hard on the Kindle Fire "HDX" exclusively. If you pair that with the fact that sales of this device are SPECIFICALLY targeted to children, I stand by my statements. I've explained the logic behind my advice, if it's not applicable to you, you can choose to disregard it or, I'm happy to discuss it. Your choice.

Don't lose sight of the fact that anyone reading this thread has probably already broken their device (The title is "Broken Screen - Who fixes?"). You don't tell someone who has just cracked the screen (a fatal situation in NO other device) to just buy a new one and be more careful. I could have disregarded that advice as "not applicable" but I chose to exercise my right to "discuss" it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2014, 9:49:13 AM PDT
PeepDittie says:
"You're getting personal (calling my children disrespectful), . . ."

Seriously, this is where you want to start before you proceed to assume you're in a position to diagnose my family's psychological history, or that you *are*, in fact, on the road to building credibility yourself? I must have hit a little too close to home.

"If your son, having a differing opinion of your own while participating in a discussion (that he has every right to participate in), "breaks your heart", we are most certainly from 2 different worlds."

Nowhere did I, nor would I, so much as imply that it's about differing opinions or participation that would break my heart. Read that again, sweetie, or don't, but understand with 100% certainty that I'm perfectly okay with our being from two different worlds, you and I. Oh, yes, make no mistake, I'm good with that.

"It's so sweet of you to think that your little angel of a granddaughter doesn't ever make mistakes. Maybe you should have a more open line of communication with your son. I'm pretty certain you don't get the full story. I'm sure, by that statement alone, that you only have one son and really have no idea what it takes to raise multiple (5 in my case)."

All of your assumptions are completely irrelevant at the point at which you deem fit to disregard what I said about accidents happening, but then I never had the kind of money it takes to expect a toy or a tool, cable TV, or even an entire school system to parent the kids in my charge or in anyone else's. It's what happens after -- you see fit to blame Amazon, and reward your kids who probably wanted that other device all along, and then tell me that I don't get the full story. Wow. Who got personal here?

"My family is admittedly hard on devices. We choose to actually "use" them and no, we don't particularly "treasure" them. I'll give you that. I place more importance on respecting people and less importance on respecting "things" (maybe that's something for me to work on?)."

Excuse me, I said "hard earned." Do you know what "earned" means? No shiny new toy or tool went to work everyday and "earned" a living. I did that, but I don't expect that you can respect that, nor do I care.

"To insinuate . . . "

Seriously? And you still think you have credibility here that I do not.

"It sounds to me like there may have been some abuse in your family."

Again, credibility. I'd venture to guess very, very few people here care what it sounds like to you. Oh, yes, I could be wrong, but I'm not nearly as bothered by that as you might like to think.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  24
Total posts:  175
Initial post:  May 28, 2014
Latest post:  Aug 13, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers