Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer power_s3 power_s3 power_s3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEM
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

OT...using the Cart, payments, and gift card balance

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 30 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 19, 2011 5:14:08 PM PDT
I'm trying to place an Amazon order for these:
Planters Deluxe Mixed Nuts made with Pure Sea Salt, 2 pound .5 oz Tubs (Pack of 2) using the "Subscribe and Save" program.

I have the credit card that I want to use registered on my account. But, when I go to check out, it is using my gift card balance to pay for them. There used to be a box to check if you wanted to NOT use your gift card balance but I don't see it now.

Has anyone ordered using their Cart and notice the same thing? I'll call them tomorrow, but thought I would ask here too.

Posted on Sep 19, 2011 5:21:27 PM PDT
Mary McManus says:
The box is still there but in a different place, instead of lower right, try upper kind of middle. It's there. I always keep my gift card balance for Kindle books so I do this all the time when ordering other things.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2011 5:26:35 PM PDT
I just don't see it. Weird. I shut off AdBlock too, just to make sure it wasn't blocking the option. I see a "change" link under the payment choice, where I can pick 1 of the 2 credit cards we have linked, but nothing about the gift card balance.

Posted on Sep 19, 2011 5:30:11 PM PDT
Mary McManus says:
The gift card balance is right below where you get the choice of credit cards.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2011 5:32:39 PM PDT
The balance isn't showing. I'll try another browser later. Both computers I've tried on are using Firefox.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2011 5:33:03 PM PDT
I'm confused. Isn't it already your gift card and that's not what you want?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2011 5:37:45 PM PDT
I don't want to use my gift card balance, I want to use a credit card. Before Amazon changed the pages, there was a box to check to exclude your gift card balance from the payment on the items in your cart. That choice is missing for me, but I'm thinking it's either AdBlock, or FF, or simply the changes that Amazon has made and it's a glitch right now.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2011 5:44:38 PM PDT
Okay but then isn't this what you want?

"I see a "change" link under the payment choice, where I can pick 1 of the 2 credit cards we have linked, but nothing about the gift card balance."

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2011 5:48:55 PM PDT
Now, this was about 2 months ago, but I did the subscription for Senseo Coffee Pods, and the check-box for using the gift card was on the page where you choose payment. I have a couple credit cards that I've used in the past, and all were listed, as well as my gift card balance. There was a check-box before the gift card option that one could easily un-check.

I don't think an adblocker would affect this, as it wasn't something like a popup. My first assumption would be it has something to do with the recent site changes. I'm like you (I think); I like to keep my gift card balance exclusively for my e-book purchases.

Perhaps contact Customer Service? They wouldn't want to miss a sale and will probably help you through this. :)

Good luck, Amelio

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2011 5:50:12 PM PDT
Right...I see the "change" link, use it, select the card I want to use. But when I get back to the final checkout page, the total due is $23.68, then -$23.68, with a final $0.00 due because they are pulling from the gift card balance.

I've shopped quite a bit on Amazon, and have never had trouble NOT using my gift card balance. Something is missing from the options that are showing for me. I'll call them tomorrow if I can't sort it out by using a different browser. My husband is on the other computer right now, and I only have FF on my Macbook Air.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2011 5:53:37 PM PDT
Oh, now I understand. Sorry about that.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2011 5:59:40 PM PDT
No biggie...we all know what it's like to think we're writing and our meaning is clear. Sometimes I am clear as mud. ;)

Posted on Sep 20, 2011 9:18:02 AM PDT
So, after reading the "small print" on the subscribe and save program, it appears that you have to use any gift card balance for those purchases. That doesn't thrill me, so I ordered them without joining the program. The whole point of using the credit card was because we have a $26 credit on that card we wanted to use up, and the price on those nuts is very good.

Posted on Sep 20, 2011 9:27:29 AM PDT
I had a problem with that also. After you buy it is too late. You have to pick the no gift card before you actually check out. Maybe Amazon could help now. I figured live and learn and try to remember in the future. Sticky notes on the computer!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 20, 2011 9:41:21 AM PDT
I really wanted to subscribe to the "subscribe and save" program for that item. It reduces the price by $4, but I don't want to use my gift card balance, but after thinking about it, Subscribe and Save would be treated like 1-click since you don't use your cart after you've signed up for it. You pick the time frame, and they ship it automatically.

Posted on Sep 20, 2011 6:08:17 PM PDT
Mary McManus says:
Actually that makes no sense to me, the restriction on "subscribe and save" using your gift card balance first. The reason I say this is that with my Kindle subscriptions (5 of them), they bill automatically each month to my credit card, even when I have a gift card balance. So Amazon is not being consistent.

Posted on Aug 5, 2013 4:40:02 AM PDT
DrDad says:
GIFT CARD ISSUE I have a gift card issue as well, and cannot find the solution. I buy both personal items and general household items. I received a gift card for Father's Day, and wish to only use it for personal items (as in "only for me, the Father). Right now, Amazon gives me no choice on how to use the gift card. Weird, because from a business standpoint, Amazon will make more money when gift card use is withheld by the user.

Posted on Aug 5, 2013 4:56:48 AM PDT
If you (or anyone else on the account) use the shopping cart, you can deselect the option to use the gift card at checkout. if you are making a digital purchase, 1-click automatically pulls from the GC first as long as there is a balance.

Another solution is to create a second account and apply gift cards meant only for you to that account for personal shopping. You can even gift digital purchases to the shared account from your personal account if that is something you'd like to do.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2013 5:10:27 AM PDT
So why not use the GC balance, and then buy a GC for that amount using the CC you want to pay with? If you purchase an email GC online, you can nominate any $$ amount you choose.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2013 5:18:03 AM PDT
Just Peachy says:
Why not just keep up with the balance yourself?
Just like if someone gives me cash as a gift, I put it in my wallet with my other cash but I know how much I have left of my gift money. It's a concept I learned at a very early age.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2013 5:30:02 AM PDT
This thread is really old. I started it in September of 2011, and the issue I had then is no longer an issue.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2013 6:13:16 AM PDT
Oops, sorry. Didn't look at the dates <blush>

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2013 8:10:41 AM PDT
DrDad says:
Glad you had the issue resolved. Can you let me know how you did it? I'd looked for current stuff but couldn't find it thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2013 8:20:12 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 5, 2013 8:20:51 AM PDT
It wasn't really an issue that needed resolved. S&S items will pull from any gift card balance when they ship. Here is the paragraph from the Terms that is relevant:

"The total cost charged to your credit card for each Subscribe & Save order will be the cost of the item on the day the order is processed less the Subscribe & Save discount, plus any applicable sales tax. Any Amazon.com gift certificates or eligible promotional code balances on your Amazon.com customer account will be applied toward the balance of your order before charging any remaining balance to your credit card."

I simply did not understand this back in 2011 when I first posted.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2013 7:06:18 AM PST
M. Nir says:
I have tried to use this too - I wanted to use my gift card balance for something for myself, and pay with a credit card for holiday gifts for others. I selected the "change" option and selected my credit card, but the holiday gift I bought used my gift card anyway. There doesn't seem to be any way to exclude the gift card balance when buying a digital item or something off of someone's wishlist; only when buying things in your cart directly. :(
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
86th RAoK - Let the Games Begin 4388 13 minutes ago
We're Quirky And We Know It! Come Witness The Howling Dink, Hussy Turkey Hens, And A Veritable Plethora Of Other Beasts! So Geese! 5697 21 minutes ago
Can no longer download from public library 3 24 minutes ago
KINDLE KITCHEN #6: A place for sharing, caring, chat and FUN! 110 30 minutes ago
Trying to log in to Amazon from Kindle 3 32 minutes ago
How to Deliver Books to Fire and Kindle 1 38 minutes ago
Reformat Kindle? 25 49 minutes ago
Fire Tv has no sound on HDMI 2 267 52 minutes ago
how do i log out? 357 57 minutes ago
Remove WPS office 4 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  14
Total posts:  30
Initial post:  Sep 19, 2011
Latest post:  Mar 25, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions