Your Garage Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Gemini Syndrome Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis DollyParton Water Sports
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle Fire HD 8.9" vs Barnes & Noble Nook HD+ 9"

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 27 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 14, 2012 8:33:26 AM PST
J. Kim says:
Trying to decide between these two....Kindle Fire HD 16G at $299, or B&N Nook HD+ 16G at $269?

Which has better options?

The most important areas that I see where the Nook is better is:
ads free (excellent),
includes free power adapter (excellent),
a little better HD screen quality (great, but not by much),
more free books (over 1 million+, excellent),
available microSD slot for memory expansion (is this useful?),
about 1 hr less on the battery life (not a deal breaker),
no camera (that hurts)

Anything else I am missing? or where the Fire is better?

What should I think about in making my final decision?

Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 10:09:36 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 14, 2012 1:30:38 PM PST
As far as the MicroSD slot goes... really, if you have a big music/movie collection that you don't want to stream all time, and always want with you, you'll want the expansion slot (or the 32G Fire HD). Other than that, it's highly unlikely that you'll need it.

The Fire has a number of built-in features that the Nook doesn't... like the X-ray feature, FreeTime (if you have kids), Prime Membership benefits, and of course easy access to your Amazon Cloud. You can't stream your Amazon purchases on a Nook... and although they have Netflix B&N doesn't have much to offer with its streaming service. If you're not interested much in the "ecosystem" Amazon's built, then it won't be much of a factor. But if you're like most of us here and have dropped quite a bit of $$ already through them, having an Amazon-native device is worth it.

As far as "free" books go.... free books are most commonly offered in ePub file format, which can also be sent to Kindle via your Kindle's email address (Amazon will convert the format for you). In other words, pretty much all the "free" books B&N touts arn't actually in their own store. That means they're also available for your Kindle, you just have to find them. Amazon's store also offers a fair number of free titles, especially on public domain books.

One last thing: none of the Nook tablets offer 4G service. If you travel frequently, or don't have WiFi at home, 4G is a major convenience, though you'll still be limited mostly to low-bandwidth activities with the default plan (e.g. very little streaming; mostly web browsing and shopping or downloading books).

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 10:56:09 AM PST
Rodster says:
It all depends what ecosystem you prefer. If you are a Prime member then the Kindle HD 8.9 is the way to go. The hardware is essentially the same with the Nook HD+ giving you an SD slot and a slightly higher resolution.

Amazon has awesome customer service. I'm a Prime member and while it cost $79 per year, I more than get my monies worth during the year. Amazon has a very nice selection of TV Shows, Movies and Books that you have free access to and Amazon is pushing their Prime service so it continues to grow. That alone eliminates the Nook HD+ for me.

While the Nook HD+ looks really nice there isn't a whole lot B&N can offer me over what I get from Amazon.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 10:58:13 AM PST
Here's my take on it... Which retailer is going to be around in 5 years? I would not buy into an ecosystem of a retailer that may not be in operation in a few years.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 11:00:16 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 14, 2012 11:00:47 AM PST
CLS10 says:
"more free books (over 1 million+, excellent)"

BN actually doesn't have more free books. They add in public domain books when they calculate their number. Amazon doesn't. If they did, their number of free books would be higher.

IMO, a tablet is about ecosystem. Go with which one has the ecosystem that fits your needs.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 11:32:58 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 14, 2012 11:33:45 AM PST
Nook HD+ wins
- ad free (for those who care)
- MicroSD slot
- Lighter
- The Nook HD+ has up to 6 user profiles on the device, 1 primary and 5 adult or child profiles

Both are equal
- Screen (it is the 7" models where the difference between the 2 is a noticeable 27ppi. The 9" devices are not noticeable at only 2ppi difference)
- "free" books
- power adapter (the Nook's power adapter is proprietary which is why it's included. The Fire can use any USB adapter a person already has so even though it's not included it's a wash)

Fire HD 8.9 wins
- More apps in the "official" app store
- Can use apps from stores other than Amazon w/o rooting the Fire
- Cloud storage of personal documents, music and pictures are available
- Amazon's movie service has more than B&N's at this time
- Amazon has a longer rental period (48hrs) than B&N (24hrs)
- Amazon has an optional service (Prime) that gives free streaming videos and free book loans
- The Fire's FreeTime parental control feature is more powerful with more options than Nook's parental control features.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 3:34:34 PM PST
George23 says:
Text to speech is also one of the services that the KFHD has that is important to many ... don't believe the Nook has this capability.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 3:51:50 PM PST
 nospin  says:
Immersion reading with audible and kindle books is only available on the Fire. Immersion reading lightly highlights the text while the professional narration of an audiobook plays - the audio can be sped up and the volume turned down so it acts as an automatic page turner.

Whispersync allows you to listen to an audible book and pick up the kindle book and ve at the correct spot in the story.

Only avsilable on kindle.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 4:08:30 PM PST
Tyler says:
Sure Barnes and Noble may hit the dust. Maybe, but are you really going to be using the same tablet 5 years from now?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 4:14:00 PM PST
King Al says:
The problem is what happens to your ebooks purchased at B&N if it goes under.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 4:45:36 PM PST
Well, we're not talking about tablets. We're discussing media consumption devices geared towards a specific retailer. If B&N goes under, what exactly is the benefit of having a Nook?

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 5:44:36 PM PST
Try this out. Post the same question on the B&N forums.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 10:09:46 PM PST
avengerla says:
The New Nook HD and HD+ devices do have text to speech in beta form as of right now and if BN was ever to go under remember they also have the Microsoft deal aka nook media llc. Microsoft could easily buy the nook division and make it their own.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 8:20:56 PM PST
Blanche says:
One good thing that I didn't see anyone else mention is that the Kindle Fire HD 8.9" has Dolby audio, which is kind of a big deal. I"ve been really torn about these two devices, as I asked for the KFHD for Christmas, and then discovered the release of the NHD+ a couple of weeks later. I wondered if I made the wrong call, but I think a big part of my decision to stay with the KFHD lies in the following, and I hope this helps.
I have a great deal of money invested in Kindle books, which really work the best on the actual Amazon devices ( I know this from experience).
If you are in college Amazon Prime membership is only $39 a year, which is awesome.
It's easier to navigate buying music and movies on the Amazon site itself, if you like to buy things on the computer and have them sent to your device. The Nook site does not make it very easy to see what their music and movie library looks like, in my opinion.
The Amazon site has a larger list of books that are self published. I like the idea of this, as I plan on going into publishing myself, and a trend in the industry has been toward discovering authors online.
From what I've heard on B&N online, the lack of quality apps is pretty bad, and loading videos is spotty for most people. Amazon's streaming service is pretty reliable, and the review I read of this version of the KFHD is that it's easy to load apps, and you can even read excel and powerpoint easily if they are attached as documents in your emails. That's a huge relief to me.
I hope this helps. I think writing this has convinced me all over again that the KFHD 8.9" is the way to go for me :)

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 4:10:58 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 20, 2012 4:13:29 PM PST
The Amazon Kindle app works just as awesome on theiPad. In fact my laptops (toshibas also bought on Amazon) has the kindle app on it. Sometimes the 17" screen on that works better for kids books. In fact, the Amazon Prime streaming vids app is awesome on both the iPad, and laptop. I have the older KF too. But it's nice to know if something ever happened to the KF and all those bought books etc., there is always a way to have them right there. Amazon has them right there on free apps. There are other solutions are out there everybody isn't even aware of.

Posted on Nov 21, 2012 12:32:56 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 21, 2012 12:34:53 PM PST
T. Gray says:
FYI, Staples email ad today only, in-store only, $25 off ANY Nook or Kindle (excludes Paperwhite). If out of stock, print and take to stores that honor competitors price. It's technically not a Black Friday deal so they should honor it. Just got my Nook HD. Woo Hoo.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 12:36:07 PM PST
Condolences

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2013 5:57:57 PM PDT
Cyndi says:
Amazon does include public domain books in their count.

Posted on Jun 12, 2013 9:05:23 AM PDT
Now that the Nook HD+ is $149 , and Nook HD $129 (until Father's day) and it's open to the google ap store, I see no reason to purchase the Kindle, especially since the screen is better.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2013 9:35:46 AM PDT
J. Gatie says:
How about the fact that massive discounting of their poorly performing products is often the last gasp of a struggling company?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2013 10:59:28 AM PDT
Tim W. says:
They're selling out stock by losing their shirt on each unit sold. They're cutting their losses. Once they're sold out, there is little likelihood of any new Nook-branded device of any sort.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2013 11:42:18 AM PDT
You need to stop advertising nooks on a Kindle forum.

Posted on Jun 12, 2013 12:04:39 PM PDT
I have a Nook HD+ 32 gig and a Kindle Fire HD 7 32 gig. I am also a Prime Member.

I like both, each have their strong points.

For reading, web surfing, and streaming, including what I get through Prime. The Nook is my go to device. Before Google Play the device was rooted, after it was added I went back to stock. I use the Puffin browser to stream movies with no problem. I like that its light weight and has the SD card. I am able to load music and/or movies on an SD card and not have to worry about space or getting connected when I am out of the wifi range. Another reason for liking the SD slot, I love magazines and they eat up a lot of space. Personally, I don't need a camera and sometimes I do miss the better speakers.

I am not tied to Barnes and Noble for books. I have a few feebies, my National Geographic, all others are from Google Play, or here.

The Kindle Fire is used for games, the Kindle Owner's Lending Book and Kids Free Time. If children are going to use your tablet or any tablet, Amazon excels here. Even if I set up a separate profile on my Nook, my grandchildren can get into things they shouldn't. Not with Kindle unless they figure out your password. Amazon has set up Kids free time to be age appropriate and parents can set how long a child can be reading, viewing movies or playing games.

You need to decide on what you want to use if for. The Nook meets my needs 90-95% of the time. I like the larger screen, the lighter weight, the SD slot and the android apps I have on my phone are also on my Nook, like Candy Crash. The Kindle is good for my grandkids and if I want to borrow a book.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2013 1:32:04 PM PDT
Sarida says:
Why haven't you already bought one? Because of their return policy? There (lack of) customer service?

For that same $149, you can get a refurb 4th gen iPod, carry it in your pocket.

Anyway, enjoy your Nook!

Posted on Jul 19, 2013 7:26:41 PM PDT
AnonGuy says:
I'm getting the 16GB HD+ tomorrow. Google Play compatibility and it's light and works well. Tried the HD, but want the bigger screen. Will pick it up tomorrow :-)

The price of these tablets make the Kindle not a consideration...
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
KINDLE KITCHEN #6: A place for sharing, caring, chat and FUN! 64 3 minutes ago
My kindle fire wont start up. 0 16 minutes ago
We're Quirky And We Know It! Come Witness The Howling Dink, Hussy Turkey Hens, And A Veritable Plethora Of Other Beasts! So Geese! 5605 21 minutes ago
Al's Place 36 Degrees of Separation 2560 22 minutes ago
August 2016--Informal Poll--What are you reading? 138 25 minutes ago
book order not showing up 1 34 minutes ago
Screen unresponsive in certain areas (Voyage) 1 51 minutes ago
I bought a book today--won't open--says it is DMR protected--where from here? 1 52 minutes ago
Fire HD6 vs paperwhite 25 58 minutes ago
How to use VUDU cloud movies on kindle fire HD 7 in 271 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  24
Total posts:  27
Initial post:  Nov 14, 2012
Latest post:  Jul 19, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions