Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Home Gift Guide Father's Day Gifts Home Gift Guide Shop Popular Services whiteprincess whiteprincess whiteprincess  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis GNO National Bike Month on Amazon Ellen
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle DX back on sale - will it get a WiFi update ?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 41 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 25, 2013, 2:46:01 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 25, 2013, 8:40:07 PM PDT
Jolyon Smith says:
I love my Kindle Touch, but I'd like a larger screen e-reader for reference books. And yes, I've considered - and tried - using a larger screened LCD tablet. They simply are horrible compared to E-Ink for extended use.

I am VERY interested in a Kindle DX but being in NZ the lack of WiFi would be a major headache (3G is not supported here so USB loading would be my only option).

With the DX seemingly being resurrected, can we look forward to a hardware update that will include WiFi at any point ?

----------------------------------------------------
Updated with response from Amazon (below):
----------------------------------------------------

Hello,

I've read your email and completely understand you frustration caused due to the lack of a Wi-Fi enabled large screen kindle. Please accept my sincere apology for the inconvenience that this issue has caused to you.

I'd like to thank you for taking the time to contact us about the areas that we'll need to improve on kindle device.

We'll consider your feedback as we plan further improvements. Customer feedback like yours is always important to us. I'll be sure to pass your message along to the appropriate department as we continue to improve the Kindle experience for our customers.

As with all of our products, we continue to make Kindle and Kindle apps better for customers with regular software updates.

As soon as your request becomes available, we will definitely let you know about this through our website.

In addition to our large selection, one of the benefits we try very hard to offer our customers is convenience. I'm very sorry for the inconvenience you experienced in this case.

We appreciate your patience and understanding.

Thanks for taking time to offer us your thoughts. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

........................................................................................................................
---- Original Message: ----

Hi,

I am a very happy Kindle Touch owner and user, but have been frustrated by the lack of a wi-fi enabled large screen Kindle. I note that the DX has recently re-appeared in your Kindle Store and was wondering (and hoping) that this might indicate a renewed interest in large screen e-readers by Amazon (perhaps in response to recent announcements by Sony in this area).

As a New Zealand resident, the lack of wi-fi is a major problem for me in a Kindle as the Free 3G service is not available here (the coverage map is misleading in this respect). Ironically, my Kindle Touch is wi-fi only and this works perfectly. I am able to still use my wi-fi only Kindle Touch when on the move, thanks to the mobile hotspot facility in my smartphone that enables me to create a wi-fi access point where-ever and when-ever I need it, as long as I have access to mobile data, 3G or otherwise.

The point being, if wi-fi was added even at the expense of removing 3G capabilities, I think this would be a great boost to the DX product line, not just in NZ and elsewhere that 3G isn't available, but more generally. A bigger/higher resolution and improved contrast screen wouldn't hurt either.

:)

I look forward to hearing from you soon and hope that the news will enable me to look forward to adding a revised Kindle DX to complement my Kindle Touch.

Many thanks in advance.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2013, 2:49:23 PM PDT
Who knows? When Amazon is ready to tell us, it will be posted on the website. All you'll get here is speculation.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2013, 2:49:26 PM PDT
I don't believe so. I think they are just selling off what is left.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2013, 3:15:20 PM PDT
According to the coverage map yours should be able to use 3G in NZ.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2013, 4:09:12 PM PDT
Jolyon Smith says:
Yes. The issues with that coverage map being misleading here in NZ are well known. The coverage map shows coverage of 3G service networks generally. It does not indicate the availability of Amazon Free 3G services specifically, and they are most assuredly and unfortunately not available here. :(

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2013, 5:50:53 PM PDT
Artist says:
A hardware update would require you to buy a new DX. Is that what you would do, or are you thinking Amazon could update your DX wirelessly? Because they can't.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2013, 6:01:34 PM PDT
Jolyon Smith says:
Read my original post. I was quite careful to explain that I currently have a Kindle TOUCH. I don't *have* a DX.

I would like a DX for the bigger screen. But without Wi-Fi it would be awkward to live with and not worth the price. I don't quite understand why they put wi-fi in the smaller Kindles, which are inherently more portable, and left it out of the larger version, which is more likely to be used at home/work/school where wi-fi is available.

Maybe I'll just wait and see what Sony come up with with their 13.3" device they are working on.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2013, 6:10:54 PM PDT
flipoid says:
Because the larger version (the DX) was produced BEFORE the first wi-fi Kindle was released in August 2010. And the DX didn't sell well enough to cause Amazon to manufacture a version with wi-fi. If I remember right, the last DX (in graphite or white, with the Pearl e-ink screen) was released in July 2010, and the ones they're selling now are what's left of that stock.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2013, 6:31:24 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 25, 2013, 6:32:14 PM PDT
Jolyon Smith says:
Well, that's what I need to hear from Amazon themselves. I am well aware of the product history. My point was that the lack of wi-fi in the DX was part of the reason it wasn't as successful as it could/should have been.

With 3G phones able to be used as a mobile hotspot, the presence of 3G in a Kindle is irrelevant to many people. Certainly it is to me, even if Amazon Free 3G were available in NZ (which it isn't). My wi-fi only Kindle Touch is just as usable "on the move" as it is at home. When out and about I just enable the wi-fi hotspot on my phone if I need it, and my wi-fi Kindle effectively get's 3G-enabled.

And that's assuming that the cafe/hotel I am in doesn't have free wi-fi, which they increasingly do.

You can't do the same trick with a 3G-only device.

The wireless landscape has changed since the Kindle wireless strategy was conceived.

But, back to the original point. If they are simply selling off inventory, why did they pull it from sale before the inventory had all gone in the first place ? Did they just find a truck load of the things that they forgot they had ? :D

Given that Sony have announced that they are working on a 13.3" device - even bigger than the DX - it could be that yes, Amazon are selling off old inventory that they had written off, but not just to get rid of it but to see what interest there is in the larger device at the lower price, before deciding whether to update it. O.o

Indeed, that's precisely what I'm asking !

Does the reappearance of the DX in the store indicate anything other than the final shifting of old stock or does it presage some new development ? O.o

Unless you work for Amazon, you'll forgive me if I take your speculation as to what it is that they are doing under advisement, but wait for some other, more official response. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2013, 6:34:58 PM PDT
PeepDittie says:
If you want answers specifically from Amazon, you'll need to address your questions to Amazon. Or just, you know, keep arguing about the validity of other customers' answers.

And that Sony isn't an e-book reader, but go ahead and wait for it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2013, 6:36:46 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jun 25, 2013, 6:38:24 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2013, 6:41:24 PM PDT
Have you contacted Amazon? As Dittie says, we're customers here. Amazon officials rarely comment in these threads.

Kindle-feedback@amazon.com

But I doubt they'll feel any need to justify their decisions to you.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2013, 6:45:48 PM PDT
Artist says:
Yeah, I'll do that the second I begin to care about what you want.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2013, 7:12:43 PM PDT
Jolyon Smith says:
Not arguing "validity", just pointing out the lack of "utility". It doesn't help when people don't even properly read what they are responding to in the first place.

As for the Sony device, it sure looks like a [potential] e-reader to me.

http://goodereader.com/blog/electronic-readers/a-second-look-at-the-sony-13-3-inch-e-reader/

And since the product isn't finalised yet, whatever is needed to make it an e-book reader in your eyes is still possible. ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2013, 7:17:22 PM PDT
Jolyon Smith says:
Who asked Amazon to justify anything ? I merely voiced my own thoughts on a related matter. Apologies if that isn't permitted.

But thanks for the tip re the kindle-feedback email addy.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2013, 7:19:10 PM PDT
PeepDittie says:
I don't think "validity" means what you think it means and turning it into whose reading skills are or aren't lacking isn't getting you official Amazon answers, now is it?

Hey, all the Sony needs in order to actually be an e-book reader would be the support of at least one e-book format and a UI to go with it. Until then, it's a digital notepad.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2013, 7:30:25 PM PDT
You asked a question on a customer forum and then rejected all the answers said customers gave you. And you did it quite rudely.

Posted on Jun 25, 2013, 7:37:26 PM PDT
Jolyon Smith says:
Um, PDF is a format that some e-books are/can be published in. The fact that is is not the one you want/prefer is neither here nor there.

Nor is the fact that it is the only format supported by the prototype (while you're looking up "validity" in the dictionary, try looking up "prototype" as well). ;)

Who's to say which formats it will support when it does finally become a product. Heck, supported formats could change even after such a product has officially launched ! It's just firmware.

Besides, Kindle rather notoriously doesn't support all e-book formats even now. Does that mean a Kindle isn't an e-book reader either ? Or does it only matter whether it supports your personally preferred format in order to qualify ?

And I wasn't suggesting a lack of "reading skills", but if someone wants to dismiss my question [quite impolitely I might add] on the basis of an understanding which reveals that they haven't even read the original post, then it is perfectly valid to point that out when responding.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2013, 7:45:49 PM PDT
Jolyon Smith says:
I did at least take the time to read and understand the responses before responding. ;)

The only people I have been "rude" to (I would say "brusque" and "impatient" with) are those who have been rude on their own account and/or not contributed anything other than to stir up conflict.

And to be accurate, nobody has yet answered the question, though some have speculated. I asked on the forum in case there was anyone that was privy to information not otherwise available or that I had not yet come across. Speculation is a past-time that I can enjoy myself in blissful solitude without the company of forum trolls. ;)

The lack of concrete answers may of course legitimately be because nobody in this forum is in a position to provide such a concrete answer. And that's fair enough. Accordingly I have taken Cassie-Anne's suggestion of emailing Amazon directly.

Whether I share with this forum any response that I may receive remains to be seen.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2013, 7:54:19 PM PDT
PeepDittie says:
Uh, sweetie, why don't you look up "prototype" while you're waiting for said product to materialize.

At no time did I mention even having a preferred e-book format. While we're on the subject, though, PDFs aren't e-books because they haven't the ability to flow. Until that is no longer the case, they're compilations of individual images, nothing more. But if that's the kind of "e-book reading" you're looking to do, wait for that to hit the market in your region.

Well, it's sooooo rude of you to assume I give a flying fork what you judge to be impolite but I think I'm going to live.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2013, 7:56:04 PM PDT
PeepDittie says:
Yes, Amazon shares chit with us that we're not going to tell you. Haha.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2013, 7:57:04 PM PDT
flipoid says:
You said in your post that I replied to, " I don't quite understand why they put wi-fi in the smaller Kindles, which are inherently more portable, and left it out of the larger version ..."

My reply was to tell you (because from your wording, you DIDN'T know the history of the DX) that Amazon *didn't* "leave out" wifi when they made the DX--it didn't yet exist in Kindles. As to why Amazon didn't make a wifi DX, we are customers and have no idea. I don't really care what you find out from Amazon when you call or email them--I just hope for their sake that you aren't as rude and condescending to them as you have been to the people in this thread who were trying to be helpful and answer the questions that you asked, y'know, in a *public* forum.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2013, 8:30:01 PM PDT
Jolyon Smith says:
To be very precise, the DX hardware was last updated at the beginning of July 2010 (DX Graphite). The first wi-fi Kindle was launched at the END of the same month. The notion that the development of these two products did not overlap, if not occur in parallel, is inconceivable.

So, when deciding what features to put into two products released just 1 month apart, Amazon chose to put wi-fi into one and they chose NOT to put it in the other.

That is to say, they very much "left it out".

Yes, the DX was first launched long before, but only last updated *just* before the first wi-fi endowed Kindle. To try to argue that this does not amount to it having been "left out" flies in the face of a proper understanding of the product history (and product development timeframes), as opposed to only a very much simplified and dare I say incomplete understanding.

All of which is beside the point which was that the lack of wi-fi in the DX was arguably a factor in it's not being as successful. The larger form factor makes it inherently less mobile, yet it relies on mobile technology for [convenient] connectivity to the Kindle ecosystem.

As for helpful, apart from people kindly offering their opinion that I am unlikely to get an official answer in these forums (how right they were), only Cassie-Ann has been directly helpful and I have thanked her for that.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2013, 8:32:41 PM PDT
PeepDittie says:
I beg to differ. The K3 was "announced" at the end of the same month. It wasn't launched then.

Posted on Jun 25, 2013, 11:10:15 PM PDT
and the update to the DX was only the screen and the material of the shell, there is simply no support for wifi on its mainboard and probably no room inside for the required hardware.

p.s. I bought a DX in part for the 3G functionality. I need that because I often use the device well away from any WiFi hotspots I can access.
So a device that requires WiFi to work is useless to me.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Amazon Prime For Hawaii and Alaska?????? 293 1 hour ago
Being redirected to Kindle Unlimited when trying to borrow books through Owner's Lending Library 11 1 hour ago
FREE Books & Chat - May 2017 840 2 hours ago
We're Quirky! There Are Various Critters, Including Tail-less Manx Kittens, Here. We Also Have Hugh Manatee. Bring Your Quilting And Sewing Projects, Your Camera, And Your Instant Pot. So Geese And Tally Ho! 1385 2 hours ago
May, 2017 What are YOU reading? 90 2 hours ago
87th RAOK Let the winter fun begin! 8506 3 hours ago
Can't remove deleted books 79 3 hours ago
Kindle free time content 3 4 hours ago
Freebie Books - Links Only - No Self Promotion IV 9613 5 hours ago
Kindle Fire HD and GPS 63 5 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  14
Total posts:  41
Initial post:  Jun 25, 2013
Latest post:  Jun 28, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.