Your Garage Beauty LyingGame STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning Landline Landline Landline  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Why does my battery indicator has a question mark over it?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 25 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 5, 2012, 8:35:51 PM PDT
Tiera Fields says:
Battery indicator ?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 5, 2012, 8:48:58 PM PDT
S. Prewitt says:
Battery indicator for what device?

Posted on Jun 5, 2012, 8:52:23 PM PDT
Tiera Fields says:
My kindle fire

Posted on Jun 5, 2012, 8:58:16 PM PDT
Tiera Fields says:
In my settings it also says I have 0% remaining in my battey life & it is unplugged & has been for a while!? Any ideas?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 5, 2012, 8:59:51 PM PDT
JES says:
I would try charging the Fire.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 5, 2012, 9:00:16 PM PDT
It needs to be recharged.
PLug it in and turn it off.

Posted on Jun 5, 2012, 9:03:39 PM PDT
Tiera Fields says:
Ok thanks I'll give it a try.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 5, 2012, 9:04:28 PM PDT
You're joking, right?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 5, 2012, 9:34:51 PM PDT
Robin says:
Please let us know if recharging your dead battery work's. It isn't a good idea to allow a kindle battery to run down completely.

My Sis has a Fire and she says the difference between the fire and her Ktouch battery life, is like night and day. I only have the Touch, so I can't compare, but I read every day for at least 3 hrs and every Sat night I plug the KT in so it is fully charged for the next week.

On the other hand, my sis say's that she has to charge her Fire every night because it always depends on what she has done with the device..if she read a book..ok..if she watched a few shows..charge..so instead of second guessing what she did, she just plug's it in nightly.

Robin

Posted on Jun 5, 2012, 9:39:48 PM PDT
Well, yes, the Fire is a tablet and not an e-ink reader. Battery life on any tablet is very small compared to an e-ink reader.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 5, 2012, 9:53:17 PM PDT
Robin says:
Apparently the battery life on the Fire is especially small compared to other tablet's, if the amount of complaint's are any indication.

I am still curious if a dead kindle battery can be recharged.

TC, Robin

Posted on Jun 5, 2012, 10:03:07 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 1, 2012, 9:38:01 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 5, 2012, 10:19:48 PM PDT
The Fire's advertised battery life is 8 hours reading with the wi-fi turned off. That is typical for tablets.

The info in this thread may help you, also. Even though it's about the Fire's battery, the same principles apply to all Kindles.
http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle/ref=cm_cd_tfp_ef_tft_tp?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1D7SY3BVSESG&cdThread=Tx3BVTWI4W8QESI

Posted on Dec 1, 2012, 3:33:56 PM PST
Lisa M says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012, 3:37:50 PM PST
♥ Ann says:
Please tell me you're kidding.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012, 4:24:31 PM PST
bethcross says:
Seriously? Well, that's interesting. . .bet the glass won't appreciate that, though.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012, 6:54:54 PM PST
PJ says:
Did you just post "You have to drop it on the floor."? Wow, drop a tablet in the floor to "fix" a battery issue. How did you discover this? I mean what tipped you off to drop it on the floor? Seriously curious

Posted on Dec 14, 2012, 5:41:07 AM PST
Crazy as this sounds, I too was having issues with a new kindle fire that had a question mark over the battery indicator. I had it on the arm of the couch charging & it fell on the carpeted floor. No question mark now & it shows how much life is left.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2013, 7:28:54 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 28, 2013, 7:30:39 AM PST
cookies says:
My kindle had the same issue. I just dropped it about two feet off the ground. I saw the power button flashed green. I plugged it in and the issue is gone. My guess the battery became lose or not connected or something. Dropping it must re connect it. When this issued occured, I couldn't use my kindle unless plugged in. I know it sounds wierd but it worked.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2013, 7:47:27 AM PST
Clair Eades says:
how long is the charge going to work ? ....with the volume on. How long till it is charged up?

Posted on Feb 4, 2013, 7:37:55 PM PST
B. Claybern says:
No kidding. Ive been messing with the Kindle for hours. Came across the post saying to drop it....low and behold....it now works. LIke someone said the battery must come loose and the "drop" must snug it up again. Unbelievable.

Posted on Apr 10, 2013, 10:52:45 AM PDT
tj says:
Truly...dropping it from about 2 feet up made it work again! I am glad I found this.

Posted on May 10, 2013, 9:52:32 PM PDT
O. Omotola says:
Dropping it really worked as crazy as it sounds

Posted on Dec 11, 2013, 6:44:02 AM PST
Sandra says:
I dropped my kindle off the arm of the chair too and then it showed the question mark. Wouldn't charge for a few days. I started inquiring as this was the first time it had the question mark. I found this site and dropped the kindle to see what would happen. Sometimes it does shut down automatically. Poof! the question mark is gone and now charging. Kinda ridiculous.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2014, 12:43:52 PM PDT
Well I just tried it and IT WORKED. The ? mark is gone. The battery indicates it is charging and the device properties show that it's probably been charging all along as the power level indicates it's at 74%. I'll keep monitoring it, but for now all I can say is THANKS!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Adding another I pad to my amazon kindle account 0 1 minute ago
Dragi's Croatian Crab Shack and Wine Bar - The Answers Are Blowing In The Wind 5726 9 minutes ago
Kindle Oasis cover usage 0 10 minutes ago
charging Oasis with cover 0 17 minutes ago
Kindle Books from one publisher not remembering last page read 0 17 minutes ago
Deleting. pdf downloads on Kindle Fire 25 22 minutes ago
red line on the kindle fire screen 66 22 minutes ago
88th Raok - roads? Where we're going we don't need roads! 370 29 minutes ago
Free Books & Chat July 2017 743 1 hour ago
Music on kindle fire 8 5 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  20
Total posts:  25
Initial post:  Jun 5, 2012
Latest post:  Oct 3, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer