Industrial Deals Beauty Oprah's Book Club STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now toystl17_gno
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

One a month Kindle Lending Library?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 887 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 12, 2011, 6:39:30 PM PST
Letting customers borrow just one book a month is a mistake on Amazon's part. Why throttle down readers to such a low rate?

I believe that Amazon would be well advised to allow us to borrow as many books as we can read, one at a time.

You think?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2011, 6:41:12 PM PST
PeepDittie says:
No, I don't.

Posted on Nov 12, 2011, 6:41:37 PM PST
So for $79 you want Amazon to provide you will all of your reading material?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2011, 6:43:38 PM PST
PeepDittie says:
OP probably thinks Amazon should lend the Kindle for free, too.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2011, 6:44:58 PM PST
Artist says:
No, I don't think. Prime is a service that gives you free 2 day shipping. That's what you pay for. Anything else is a gift!!!

Amazon has to pay the publishers every time we borrow a book from the Prime library. How do you expect them to make money if they are providing all of your reading material for free?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2011, 6:45:04 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 12, 2011, 6:49:38 PM PST
Erich says:
I think you don't have a clue. Do you seriously think Amazon should just lend you all your reading material for $79 per year? Seriously?

I'd love every purchase from Amazon to come with a free two pound gold brick. Alas, both that idea and yours would likely cause Amazon to loose money at a fairly high rate.

Posted on Nov 12, 2011, 6:47:20 PM PST
saraf says:
OP, you do understand that Amazon is in business to make money? If they gave us all our books for free that would make that kind of difficult for them, ya think?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2011, 6:54:37 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 12, 2011, 6:54:51 PM PST
You've got to be kidding! Entitled much? Use your public library...they have "free" books.

Posted on Jan 5, 2012, 11:52:12 PM PST
tasselbunny says:
Adding to the discussion late -- the Lending Library is limited. We get free streaming TV/movies, why not books? Even every two weeks would be better than once a month!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2012, 12:15:05 AM PST
King Al says:
Amazon reportedly already loses money on Amazon Prime. If they increased the number of books, it would probably have to limit streaming.

Posted on Jan 6, 2012, 12:29:04 AM PST
It has nothing to do with amazon. They had a difficult enough multi-year, uphill battle to convince a single publisher to go along with the concept, even as limited as it is!

Posted on Jan 6, 2012, 12:38:11 AM PST
tasselbunny says:
I'm perfectly alright with a limited library! I understand that publishers want their cut, and it might be difficult to pay out to all. I know that it might result in a loss. I'm already slating, with my next paycheck, to buy some books to have permanently on my (Christmas-gift) Kindle Fire. I just don't think that it should be a one-a-month thing. Once a week? Once every /two/ weeks? I could see the logic there.

Once a month, however? I don't see how that is a "Lending Library" -- yes, yes, of course, I could go to a library. That's simply, however, not what I bargained for when I initially saw "Lending Library" as an option.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2012, 12:43:43 AM PST
C. Scilley says:
You do know that when people borrow a book that Amazon pays for the book. So yes, one a month is enough. If you want more, borrow them from the library. We should not be greedy.
Carolyn

Posted on Jan 6, 2012, 12:52:49 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 6, 2012, 12:55:16 AM PST
tasselbunny says:
No, we should not be greedy! I am perfectly willingly to buy those books that I am willing to invest in -- Game of Thones or Wheel of Time, for example. My wonderment comes when I can, for $79, watch the entire series of, say, Arrested Development, in one night -- no charge -- yet, I am limited in the books I can read to only one a month. It simply seems to be opposed to what is expected. Perhaps publishers are not as agreeable as television producers... but then the Lending Library should not be quite as advertised as more than it is?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2012, 1:12:54 AM PST
C. Scilley says:
I think you should not be whining so much. I think they are generous as it is.
Carolyn

Posted on Jan 6, 2012, 1:20:00 AM PST
tasselbunny says:
Have I ever said that Amazon is not generous? For $79, I'm getting a dang good deal. I simply want to know the reasoning behind the disparity behind books vs. streaming video.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2012, 1:21:27 AM PST
C. Scilley says:
As if we know. Why don't you call them and find out?
Carolyn

Posted on Jan 6, 2012, 1:22:46 AM PST
CBRetriever says:
maybe because some of the streaming video is free anyway (TV shows)?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2012, 1:31:48 AM PST
musicmomma says:
Well as discussed before, it is costing Amazon to let you borrow the books. If you want to read a book every two weeks then buy it and then you won't have to whine about it.

Or Amazon could increase your Prime membership so you can borrow more books say maybe double it. I think that would be fair.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2012, 1:46:24 AM PST
Are you sure that you don't have Library Lending mixed up with Prime Library Lending? You do know that you can get eBooks from your local Library, right? Why care how many free eBooks you can get from Prime Lending when you can get all the eBooks you want from your local Library? Doesn't make any sense.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2012, 1:47:26 AM PST
This has just got to be some sort of sick sense of humor, because otherwise...

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2012, 2:42:43 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 6, 2012, 2:44:38 AM PST
A. says:
The terminology is confusingly similar... "Kindle Owners' Lending Library" (not 'Prime Library Lending'), due to the use of the words 'lending' and 'library', will inevitably evoke expectations similar to the multi-ebook lending provided by actual public libraries through OverDrive. (Many public libraries have few or no ebooks so far, so people who don't have ebooks at their local public library may have hoped this would be an alternative.)

I think a name like 'Kindle Prime Bonus Book' would've been clearer, fwiw - to me that does a better job of suggesting one book a month as a bonus in addition to all the other Prime membership benefits, rather than a full-access library to fulfill all your reading needs.

Posted on Jan 6, 2012, 2:47:30 AM PST
R. D. Clark says:
Everything, all the time, for free, right now.

Isn't that in the Constitution, or the Magna Carta, or the Desiderata, or something?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2012, 2:51:32 AM PST
Dragi Raos says:
Inventor, do you think that $79 a year is too much for unlimited 2-day shipping, many free movies and videos and 12 books, or that Amazon is a charity?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2012, 4:49:57 AM PST
You're willing to buy the books you're willing to invest in, but you expect Amazon to buy the books you want to read that you're *not* willing to invest in??

Amazon has to pay the publisher each and every time each and every person borrows a book.

And you're missing the point about Prime. Prime is first and foremost about shipping. Unlimited free 2-day shipping on most of what Amazon sells. The streaming and KOLL are the icing on the cake.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 36 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Dragi's Croatian Crab Shack and Wine Bar - The Answers Are Blowing In The Wind 5532 11 minutes ago
We're Quirky! There Are Various Critters, Including Tail-less Manx Kittens, Here. We Also Have Hugh Manatee. Bring Your Quilting And Sewing Projects, Your Camera, And Your Instant Pot. So Geese And Tally Ho! 2304 21 minutes ago
free books & chat - june 2017 (fb&c) 783 39 minutes ago
87th RAOK Let the winter fun begin! 9508 39 minutes ago
Kindle Paperwhite Keyboard 3rd Gen 3G - Frozen in downloading screen 7 1 hour ago
unable to open server connection 1 1 hour ago
Amazon Insider app for Fire HD 8 7 1 hour ago
I have a 3rd generation kindle. It freezes up all the time over the past week. Sometimes 5 min after I get it working again? What's the answer?. 0 2 hours ago
Kindle Fire 10 Star in Status Bar 31 2 hours ago
What does the crescent moon next to the signal strength mean? 4 4 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  86
Total posts:  887
Initial post:  Nov 12, 2011
Latest post:  Mar 22, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers