Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now FFII_gno
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

amazon prime member, should i upgrade to the new HD or get nexus 7?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 33 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 9, 2012, 7:16:22 PM PDT
giantqtipz says:
hey guys,

just need some advice concerning if whether i should upgrade to the new HD fire or replace my kindle fire with a nexus 7.

i buy a lot of stuff from amazon, primarily games and electronics (lots of them, especially games lol). and because of that, im a prime member.

now im aware that many people prefer the nexus 7 over the fire, but my concern is, will i be able to access amazon instant video on the nexus 7? can i buy apps using my amazon store credit in some way on the nexus 7? (i do surveys online to get gift cards)

im no tech junkie, but i believe the nexus 7 is highly customizable? so does that mean i will be able to access amazon's store and videos just like on the fire?

thanks guys

Posted on Sep 9, 2012, 7:21:44 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 9, 2012, 7:27:00 PM PDT
Bixillarla says:
Does your Nexus 7 have flash? If so then yes you can get the instant videos, you would just goto the Amazon website using the browser on the Nexus like you would if you were on your computer and watch from there.

Yes you can get the apps from the Amazon app store on any android device, you just register it to your amazon account and download the apps that you purchase. I did this with no problems on the Toshiba Thrive.

With that said if you are a heavy Amazon content user the Fire HD would be your best choice as they are designed to the easiest access to the Amazon content.

Posted on Sep 9, 2012, 7:23:53 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 9, 2012, 7:25:19 PM PDT
Nevartniap says:
I was considering a Nexus 7 until they announced exactly which features will be on the Kindle Fire HD. Two things swayed me in the direction of the Fire. One was the Amazon Instant Video offerings. From my understanding, you can't access those on the Nexus 7, because that device is designed for Google Play, and they have their own video offerings. The titles I'm interested in are available through Amazon but not through any other media services except for iTunes. The second thing that pushed me in the direction of the Fire is the HDMI port. If I'm going to get a Fire over a Nexus 7 because of the Instant Video content, it would be nice to be able to play it on a TV from time to time. All the other features I wanted from a table are available on both devices, so the two items I mentioned above are just perks that helped me make the decision. Oh, and I like the audio specs for the new Fire HD.

Edit: Even if I'm wrong about whether or not you can access Amazon Instant Video on the Nexus 7, the HDMI port is still a selling point for me.

Posted on Sep 9, 2012, 7:27:26 PM PDT
If you download a flash-enabled browser on the Nexus 7, then you will be able to stream Amazon Instant Video...but that's about it. You would not be able to download purchased or rented videos to the Nexus 7 to watch offline. That is the major reason why I didn't get a Nexus 7. I have bought many, many TV shows and movies on Amazon Instant Video and I often need/want to watch them offline. So, for me, there is no other way to go but the Fire.

If you're okay with only being able to stream within a browser window, then you might consider the N7. But, for any serious Prime member, the Fire HD is almost always going to be the better choice.

Posted on Sep 9, 2012, 7:32:06 PM PDT
Nevartniap says:
Tom, that's good to know... I've already purchased a number of movies and TV shows through Amazon Instant Video, so I think I've made the right decision with the Fire.

Posted on Sep 9, 2012, 7:54:29 PM PDT
The Nexus 7 is now obsolete. For the same price the Fire HD has more memory, better overall graphics, and a faster processor setup, plus all the cool new Amazon features. However, if you want a tablet with the "Android Experience" and access to more apps, the Nexus 7 may be the way to go.

IMHO

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2012, 8:25:25 PM PDT
GRak says:
Ditto!

IMHO2

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2012, 8:37:55 PM PDT
Nexus 7 is shipping with jellybean.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2012, 8:41:42 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 9, 2012, 8:42:20 PM PDT
Actually, the newer models come out quad core (Google fams are making fun of the fire). Don't remember if they have the HDMI port, but no extra storage.) Their 16 gb model is more expensive.

For the money, I was going to get a larger screen - but I think the 7" fire HD should do just fine.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2012, 8:43:02 PM PDT
Hmmm....I don't exactly know what this means. I already know that the N7 ships with Jelly Bean. I have no idea how that impacts this discussion.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2012, 8:43:06 PM PDT
And JellyBean does not support Flash. FYI.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/46310/jelly-bean-wont-support-adobe-flash

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2012, 8:46:13 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 9, 2012, 8:47:11 PM PDT
That's why, if he wants to watch AIV on the N7, he has to download a flash-enabled browser to the N7, as the built-in default chrome browser does not support flash. I have been on numerous forums for the N7 discussing just this thing (watching amazon instant video) and users have been successful with a flash-enabled third party browser.

Posted on Sep 9, 2012, 8:49:48 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 9, 2012, 8:52:19 PM PDT
To be fair, the new Fires won't support Flash either, so Amazon must be building it into Silk or the Video app.

Edit -OK it says Flash Player won't function. Question 10.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/forums/kindleqna/ref=cm_cd_tft_tp?ie=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1GLDPZMNR1X53&cdThread=Tx1WEM06OFQ59MC

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2012, 8:51:39 PM PDT
Really? I hadn't read that anywhere.

Is that because Adobe has basically said that they aren't going to be updating flash for mobile devices anymore?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2012, 8:52:21 PM PDT
Curious...What other mobile browsers support Flash?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2012, 8:52:44 PM PDT
See my edit

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2012, 9:06:07 PM PDT
It says its not supported, not that it won't function. As stated before, it may be possible to side load both flash and browsers, or a flash embedded browser.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2012, 9:12:18 PM PDT
I understand.

Posted on Sep 9, 2012, 11:25:28 PM PDT
I have the amazon video app for the iPad. I believe thety are planning to release an app for Android as well, but I don't think they've done so yet

Posted on Sep 10, 2012, 12:07:52 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 10, 2012, 12:10:44 AM PDT
Pushka says:
Chrome browser and an add on will provide flash support to the nexus. The nexus has an external slot that with an additional cable, allows the use of a USB storage device to increase storage ability. The unit itself is very snappy and even though I have a fire, I prefer the nexus.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 10, 2012, 12:35:29 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 10, 2012, 12:46:38 AM PDT
D.L.C says:
That remains to be seen. The original KF processor didn't come close to matching its hype when put to the benchmarks and early reviews of the hardware are saying the same thing about the new KFs. And it's processor isn't necessarily faster. The updated KF HD is actually using an older processor that was used in the Galaxy Nexus which benchmarks put well below the Tegra 3. Furthermore, a quadcore processor running quadcore apps will outperform a dual core processor when the speeds are not statistically different.

Graphics are in question as well. No one can really say for certain on the new KFs (not the updated old KF) if it's better than the K7 without benchmark tests. And 4.1 will run faster than 4.0

As for the "cool new Amazon Features" aside from the in movie search, there really isn't anything new. The only real reason to get the KF in general is if you're already sucked into Amazon's ecosystem. If you want to learn how to use Android, get a GPS, have control over customization and have access to far more apps, the N7 is the way to go. Expandable memory isn't an issue anymore for the N7. KFs are far more media consumption devices then anything else. The N7 was built with far more than just media consumption in mind. It's a pain to get your Amazon related stuff on to your Nexus 7. I'm trying to get some of mine. It's not fun. And streaming via flash is really not the best method. If you have lots of stuff on Amazon its best to stay on Amazon.

The fact that you, without a root and Mod, give up control to Amazon is a big negative for the KFs.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 10, 2012, 12:37:47 AM PDT
D.L.C says:
No HDMI on the N7.

People who aren't app heavy users should just spring for the 8 gig and go OTG for storage. It's much cheaper that way. $40 can get you with OTG, one app and a 64 gig flash drive, 64 gigs of expandable storage.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 10, 2012, 12:39:18 AM PDT
D.L.C says:
Chrome doesn't work with flash.

You need either Firefox Beta or Xscope.

Xscope I believe is like $3. Firefox is free.

I agree though that I'd prefer the N7. I'm still waiting on my 32 gb uber fast flash drive. Been having to deal with fatty 1~3 tb externals. That's not portable.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 10, 2012, 12:41:50 AM PDT
D.L.C says:
Adobe is ending flash for Android after 4.0 otherwise known as Ice Cream Sandwich.

KF has it as KF is running forked 4.0.

Stock flash ends with ICS. And it's about time.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 10, 2012, 12:42:23 AM PDT
D.L.C says:
Firefox Beta and Xscope for two.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
FREE Books & Chat - September 2017 516 7 hours ago
my old non-amazon .MOBI books only show up in Docs 4 7 hours ago
Elephants Three at The Ģrandest Hotel - Part IV 6593 8 hours ago
88th Raok - roads? Where we're going we don't need roads! 2103 8 hours ago
We're Quirky! There Are Various Critters, Including Tail-less Manx Kittens, Here. We Also Have Hugh Manatee. Bring Your Quilting And Sewing Projects, Your Camera, And Your Instant Pot. So Geese And Tally Ho! 4358 9 hours ago
My kindle fire with usb cable not connecting to Windows 10 pc. 5 9 hours ago
Discounted / Price Dropped Kindle eBooks IV 2801 10 hours ago
NEW 10.1" Fire 2 10 hours ago
KINDLE KITCHEN #6: A place for sharing, caring, chat and FUN! 9135 10 hours ago
Al's Place 36 Degrees of Separation 4406 10 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  14
Total posts:  33
Initial post:  Sep 9, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 8, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers