Amazon Vehicles Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle Fire: Verizon Pre-Paid Mobile Hotspot (No Contract)

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-22 of 22 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 1, 2012 7:07:39 AM PDT
jsh1120 says:
For those who need 3G/4G internet access for the wifi only Kindle Fire, Verizon has just introduced a new pre-paid monthly access plan for a Mobile Hotspot (i.e. "Mifi') that does NOT require a long-term contract.

The process works like this. You purchase a Mifi device (4510L) from Verizon for $130. Not coincidentally, this is the additional cost for 3G/4G functionality on the iPad.

Once you've purchased the device, you can purchase 1-10 gigabytes of download access for $20-$80 per month. Unlike a long-term contract, however, you can purchase the service on a monthly basis only when you need it. For those who travel occasionally and want to avoid the need to find wifi access, this can be a worthwhile option.

In effect, this is the same kind of plan offered by Verizon and other carriers for the new iPad. Other carriers offer similar plans but may not guarantee high speed performance or access to the Verizon 4G/LTE network.

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with Verizon Wireless. Nor do I think this is an ideal plan for everyone. However, considering the number of Kindle Fire users who want/need internet access at locations where a wifi connection is not easily available, it can be a relatively economical high speed access option.

In reply to an earlier post on May 1, 2012 7:12:07 AM PDT
Erich says:
Interesting. As you mention, this is good for the occasional user, but those are some pretty pricey rates. One would certainly not want to do a lot of movie streaming at those prices.

In reply to an earlier post on May 1, 2012 7:23:09 AM PDT
jsh1120 says:
Not if you can help it but that's the going rate for 4G/LTE access as owners of the new iPad have discovered. Likewise, of course, if one has a 4G smartphone another option is to tether the KF to the phone and share the data plan.

In general, I've found that many consumers, especially those accustomed to the "free 3G" offered with some Kindle models are confused by the options available for the Kindle Fire. Since I travel frequently and already use a mobile hotspot (on a two year contract), plans of this type don't save me any money. But for those who find they need internet access without an available wifi network on an occasional basis or who only surf the web, answer email, and download books or periodicals when they're away from a wifi source, this kind of plan can be very attractive.

In reply to an earlier post on May 1, 2012 7:43:15 AM PDT
Erich says:
I agree. It's a great thing for the occasional e-mail check, web surfing session, and whatnot. A businessperson who is on the road a lot could also use something like this for keeping in contact on the road - although they are more likely to get a plan.

Posted on May 1, 2012 7:48:11 AM PDT
For the I was only going to get books amazon is soooooo cheap folk there is netzero. You have to buy hardware but the 200meg plan is free. If all you are going to do is get books its more than sufficient. Not the case if you plan to do more.

In reply to an earlier post on May 1, 2012 7:52:36 AM PDT
Erich says:
WHAT!!!!!

I had no idea that existed! $99 for a mobile 4G hotspot with 200MB/month FREE?!!?!?!?! Holy carp! One click! One click! One click!

Perfect for checking email and downloading a new book while away from home.

Thanks for this LeAnne.

In reply to an earlier post on May 1, 2012 8:07:05 AM PDT
New Girl says:
Drat, they are not in my area yet :(

Posted on May 1, 2012 8:07:32 AM PDT
jsh1120 says:
Don't want to burst anyone's bubble but it's important to read the fine print for these devices and see exactly what you're getting. That's especially important in view of the fact that unlike "3G" there is no standard meaning of the term "4G." The actual performance of various "4G" networks varies by factors of 10 or more.

In the case of Netzero there are a number of "gotcha's" that need to be taken into account. That doesn't mean it's a bad deal, especially if one needs only email and limited web surfing, but it's not a true "4G" experience. Furthermore, the "free" plan lasts for only one year and if you find yourself using more than 200mb limit you'll find yourself in a fairly expensive plan.

I don't mean to knock the Netzero option or others (Virgin Wireless offers a pre-paid option, too.) Such plans may be perfectly adequate for many folks. I noted the Verizon plan only because it's the first example of a pre-paid plan from a major carrier that matches the performance of contract mifi plans at a roughly equal cost per month without a long term contract.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/2012/03/hands-on-netzero-to-offer-no-contract-4g-mobile-hotspot-service-embargoed-for-9am-est-on-319.ars

In reply to an earlier post on May 1, 2012 8:24:14 AM PDT
Erich says:
Drat that fine print.

Sad panda.

Not worth it for only one year of service. I wasn't worried about the speed of 4G - but the time limitation is a deal-breaker for me.

Oh well... back to struggling through life without mobile wi-fi. At least I have my lightsaber and hovercar with roof mounted proton torpedo launcher to get me through my days.

In reply to an earlier post on May 1, 2012 8:31:25 AM PDT
"At least I have my lightsaber and hovercar with roof mounted proton torpedo launcher to get me through my days."

By "lightsaber" you mean "can opener" and "hovercar" you mean Toyota, right?

Posted on May 1, 2012 8:42:53 AM PDT
jsh1120 says:
BTW, though my only affiliation with Verizon Wireless is the fact that they drain my bank account to an absurd degree every month, I do have to say that their 4G/LTE service has been very very good over the last year. The coverage is extremely wide even in places I wouldn't have expected it (e.g. Kalamazoo, Mich) and it's very very fast; nearly as fast in some cases as my hardwire broadband service at home.

Since I already had a mobile hotspot when I bought the KF, the lack of built-in 3G/4G service wasn't a problem for me but since I use a banking app on my KF it's been reassuring that I don't have to worry about the use of public wifi networks when I'm on the road.

In reply to an earlier post on May 1, 2012 8:44:00 AM PDT
Erich says:
Close:

Softball bat and Jeep.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 5:58:08 PM PDT
biged says:
Could you please supply more details? What hardware? Where do I sign up for the 299meg plan? It's sound perfect for my needs also.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 5:59:43 PM PDT
biged says:
Could you please provide more details? What hardware? Who to sign up with for the 200meg? Does the plan have a name?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 6:01:33 PM PDT
biged says:
Could you help me with info about what hardware and who to sign up for the 200meg?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 6:02:37 PM PDT
biged says:
Could you tell me what hardware I need and who to sign up with for the free 200meg?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 6:28:30 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 1, 2012 6:29:35 PM PDT
A. Dietz says:
biged, SLOW DOWN! There is no need to repost your message every 30 seconds, this is NOT a chat line. In addition, those messages are from 6 months ago. Google NetZero and follow the links for more information, or go to http://www.netzero.net/

Posted on Nov 26, 2013 5:55:57 AM PST
kkindle fire hdx or apple i pad air?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2013 6:51:45 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 26, 2013 6:51:59 AM PST
A. Dietz says:
larry, you're posting a totally unrelated question on a discussion that has been dead for over a year. Instead of hijacking this discussion, please start your own discussion.

Posted on Aug 1, 2014 6:59:02 PM PDT
I have no idea how long it might be before I spend $700 and change for a piece of plastic that won't do 90% of what I normally do and can be lost in an instant like my last 2 phones.
I suspect it will be three days past never.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2014 7:46:05 PM PDT
Derp?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2014 8:56:09 PM PDT
Tinker-bella says:
Thank you for sharing.

At least I won't be awake all night worrying that you spent $700.00 on a Verizon mobile MiFi device in error...
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
How to delete books off Kindle and Kindle App for i pad? 5 16 seconds ago
Charging Kindle Voyage with Kindle Touch USB cable 7 1 minute ago
We're Quirky And We Know It! Come Witness The Howling Dink, Hussy Turkey Hens, And A Veritable Plethora Of Other Beasts! So Geese! 5751 2 minutes ago
Kindle Fire 10 question 9 7 minutes ago
instagram for kindle fire 223 10 minutes ago
KINDLE KITCHEN #6: A place for sharing, caring, chat and FUN! 128 14 minutes ago
Tax on Kindle books? 16 14 minutes ago
Percentage-read gone from Paperwhite 4 27 minutes ago
Paper white age 13 30 minutes ago
Fire stick drops network connection 1590 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  11
Total posts:  22
Initial post:  May 1, 2012
Latest post:  Aug 1, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions