Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Deregistering a Kindle without losing books bought

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 78 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 7, 2011, 9:20:49 PM PDT
Haggis says:
I recently bought 2 kindles (my first entry into the Kindle world). One for myself the other as a gift for a friend - they arroved registered to my amazon account. I also bought 2 books for my friend and loaded them onto her kindle before giving to her for her birthday. She obviously wants to deregister her Kindle from my amazon account and register to her own to allow her to manage her device and buy more books etc. But from what we have read this will mean she will lose the 2 books I bought for her - is there anyway to prevent the loss of the 2 books ? I know they will remain on my Kindle but they are not books I read and they were part of her gift. Any advice much appreciated.

Posted on Aug 7, 2011, 9:26:42 PM PDT
I was told by Amazon that you cannot transfer books to a new Kindle account. I have tried! Did the same thing as you .....

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 7, 2011, 9:28:27 PM PDT
PeepDittie says:
Deregistering doesn't delete any content, nor does reregistering. The better way to go would have been to mark the Kindle as a gift at the time of order, then gifting the e-books. Kindle CS may still be able to remove those e-books from your account and link them to hers. US 1-866-321-8851

Posted on Aug 7, 2011, 9:31:21 PM PDT
It was my understanding that when you de-register a kindle with books already loaded on it from the original account, the books remain on the Kindle, but the person no longer has access to the archives of the original account. This means the person cannot re-download the books again if they somehow got deleted from the Kindle. The person would have to buy them personally.

Posted on Aug 7, 2011, 11:17:52 PM PDT
MamaSylvia says:
If it's been less than a week since you bought the books you meant to gift her, you can call CS and get a refund, and then re-purchase them as gifts.

Theoretically, the books stay on the Kindle when it is de-registered, but some people have reported their books disappeared when the Kindle was de-registered. IMNSHO, it's better to gift them to her officially to avoid the chance they will disappear.

Posted on Aug 7, 2011, 11:22:55 PM PDT
Haggis, what you can try to do is downloading the books to your computer, then send the books to her by email. She could download the books to her computer and tranfer them via USB to her Kindle. I've never tried it myself, but it'll probably work.

Posted on Aug 7, 2011, 11:39:32 PM PDT
MamaSylvia says:
No, that won't work (unless the books are DRM-free) because Amazon DRMs most of its books to only be read on a specific device.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 8, 2011, 12:46:14 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 8, 2011, 12:56:43 AM PDT
Haggis, Wolfgangster is correct. Your friend can deregister her Kindle from your account, and then register it to her own account and the Kindle books that you purchased (and loaded on her Kindle) will remain on her Kindle and be fully accessible to her as long as she never deletes them from her Kindle. If she ever accidentally (or even deliberately) deletes them, and then wants them back for whatever reason, all the two of you have to do is reverse the process by deregistering her Kindle from her account, register it to your account and redownload the Kindle books to her Kindle again, and so forth. It's actually a very simple thing to do.

Edit to add that Amazon does allow up to 6 devices to be registered and have accces to the same content (meaning Kindle books) from the same account, be it a family member or even a close and trusted friend. This is one way that you and your friend can share ebooks amongst yourselves legally, so it's something to consider for the future, in case you both have similar reading interests. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2011, 6:34:21 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 22, 2011, 6:37:17 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2011, 6:36:30 PM PST
Jan says:
I tried this and it didn't work for me... I also had bought a Kindle Fire for a gift and registered it to my account temporarily to "teach" my friend how to use it. I planned on deregistering it eventually as I didn't want her to have full access to my Amazon account. On advice from a Kindle Customer Service rep today, I downloaded a couple of books from my account that my friend was reading to her device, then de-registered it. According to Amazon, the books were supposed to stay on the device, but they disappeared as soon as it was de-registered. I did this several times, and always got the same result. This is very disappointing! In addition, all of the customization I had done on the Kindle (downloaded apps, favorites etc) disappeared or didn't work until the device was registered to the correct account. Strangely, two MP3 songs I had purchased on my Amazon account did not disappear. Is it just a Kindle Fire thing? Has anyone else had experience with this issue?

Posted on Dec 22, 2011, 6:41:59 PM PST
Yes, that's a difference between the Fire and other kindles. Deregistering the Fire deletes the content; dereg'ing other kindles doesn't.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2011, 6:42:38 PM PST
The Fire is a different animal all together than the e-ink kindles when it comes to the deregister/reregister game. You DO LOSE all your content when you deregister a Fire. The content does come back when you reregister, but it does not remain on the device if you register the Fire to a different account.

Posted on Dec 22, 2011, 6:42:46 PM PST
If you have a Fire, de-registering it removes all Amazon-purchased content. It's the only Kindle that does that.

The best move for the OP at this point is to return the two books. If it's less than a week since the purchase, it can be done from the Manage Your Kindle page. If it's been longer, a call to Kindle CS will probably take care of it. Then re-buy the books as gifts once the intended recipient has registered it to her account.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2011, 6:43:09 PM PST
It is a Kindle Fire thing. The method mentioned above works only for e-ink Kindles.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2011, 6:57:16 PM PST
Jan says:
Live & learn... thanks everyone for your responses - I'll stop wasting my time on this!

Amazon - please reconsider whether you need to give the Fire different restrictions than the other Kindles. Oh, and please tell your CS reps about this...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2011, 6:59:00 PM PST
@Jan: You can use the Fire's built in feedback option to tell Amazon. Go to the top where the settings are, click on More and the first item in the list is Help & Feedback. Then the feedback form is the 3rd tab. Amazon does not monitor all threads, I understand.

Posted on Jan 31, 2012, 12:47:59 AM PST
I just got a Fire... when I order books they go to my old Kindle... how do I make them go to the Fire?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2012, 12:53:41 AM PST
Make sure that the Fire is listed first alphabetically in the list of devices on the Manage Your Kindle page on the website. You can rename the devices there, and then you need to synch them.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2012, 1:09:32 AM PST
John - Unfortunately that doesn't work with the Fire. The list of Kindles considers the Fire an app and no matter how you name it it will never come before an e-ink Kindle in the list.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2012, 1:13:00 AM PST
Arlene - When you order from the website there is a dropdown box under the orange "Buy now with 1-click" button that says "Deliver to". Select your Fire's name from that list and it will download to your Fire. If you purchase directly from the Fire, it will go to the Fire by default.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2012, 2:47:54 AM PST
@Pineapple: Of course you are correct - the Fire uses an app like the others, and they always come after the actual devices. Thanks for the reminder.

Posted on Apr 15, 2012, 9:28:15 AM PDT
TW says:
Ugh. I hate that you can't deregister the fire without losing everything! I made a poor decision to have my fire and my children's kindle fires on the same account and now I don't want them all linked but if I try to fix it I lose everything. I wish Amazon made this clear before registering it.

Posted on Apr 30, 2012, 1:27:42 PM PDT
So bacically I can't deregister, then set up another account and switch between those accounts without losing everything every time I register and deregister my Kindle Fire? I.E. My music, books, apps, ect...

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2012, 1:31:31 PM PDT
That is correct.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 24, 2012, 6:04:54 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 24, 2012, 6:12:52 AM PDT
rose says:
My daughter gave me a kindle and added me to her Acct. I bought several books. We decided later to get seperate accts. When I deregistrred it I lost all my books! About 25 no way can find to retrieve them.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Can Kindle or Kindle Paperwhite do reverse contrast (black background and white text)? 188 6 minutes ago
Discounted / Price Dropped Kindle eBooks IV 2567 26 minutes ago
Mass delte email on Kindle Fire HD help 64 39 minutes ago
How to delete books from Kindle Fire HD? 205 39 minutes ago
old ipad 1 39 minutes ago
Amazon Echo (no invite questions) 8632 46 minutes ago
We're Quirky! There Are Various Critters, Including Tail-less Manx Kittens, Here. We Also Have Hugh Manatee. Bring Your Quilting And Sewing Projects, Your Camera, And Your Instant Pot. So Geese And Tally Ho! 3720 49 minutes ago
KINDLE KITCHEN #6: A place for sharing, caring, chat and FUN! 8576 55 minutes ago
Elephants Three at The Ģrandest Hotel - Part IV 6346 1 hour ago
88th Raok - roads? Where we're going we don't need roads! 1393 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  47
Total posts:  78
Initial post:  Aug 7, 2011
Latest post:  Jan 31, 2017

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 11 customers