Amazon Vehicles Back to School Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Joseph Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Shop Now STEM
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle fire "dies" at 50% battery

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-15 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 21, 2014 11:18:25 PM PST
KJ says:
I've had my kindle since June, and within the last month it has been acting up. Any time the battery gets down to 50% the kindle shuts down. When I press the power button to turn it back on, the "Kindle Fire" start up screen flashes quickly, then turns off again. It isnt until I charge the device past 50% that it'll turn fully on. I've tried a hard reset already.

Does anyone else have this problem?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2014 12:54:22 AM PST
KJ - Since rebooting didn't work, I'd suggest that you contact Kindle Customer Service.

Click on this link and fill in the information. https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/contact-us/kindle-help.html
You may have to sign in. I would use the PHONE or CHAT options.
Do *NOT* use e-Mail.
CALL ME under the PHONE tab is great if available.
They will call you within minutes.

Posted on Jan 22, 2014 3:05:36 AM PST
JoshuaJohn says:
No, I have not experienced this issue. I usually charge at 70 percent.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 19, 2014 4:06:16 PM PDT
Montel J says:
I have the secret same issue. Have you found any help?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 19, 2014 4:10:54 PM PDT
Try this app: Battery HD

Sometimes the battery meter can become uncalibrated.

Posted on Sep 3, 2014 10:54:33 AM PDT
J.A.B. says:
I have the same problem and it seems like many others do as well, I contacted amazon within two weeks of me buying it online for a replacement after tech support informed me. Next time I should buy a certified refurbished device because amazon claims amazon warehouse is not at all affiliated and they refused to replace even though it was an option online they made me call and the lady lied to me saying that I could buy one at the same price they had them for the same price. After I got off the phone I found out she completely lied and they had doubled the price so unless I wanted to pay 120 which was what they were charging for the new on sale and certified ones instead of 65 dollars which is how much it cost me two weeks before I was screwed. Now the replacement option was gone online all I could do was get a refund and pay double, that's the only advice I got from tech support was you should buy a more expensive one and then you'll have a warranty. Oh and to reset it... she said she couldn't even send the problem to engineering for me because it wasn't new or certified. WAY TO SCREW OVER CUSTOMERS AMAZON... YOU SOLD IT TO ME AND THEN DID EVERYTHING YOU COULD TO GET MORE MONEY OUT OF ME AND NOT STICK BY YOUR OWN PRODUCT. The worst part about it all is I got stuck with a faulty kindle fire hd because I actually liked it and didn't want to not have one all together.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2014 12:12:54 PM PDT
Have you tried using a battery meter such as Battery HD? It's free. Can't hurt to give it a whirl.

I'd also recommend Clean Master - Free Optimizer. It's also free, and can stop tasks that might be running in the background, draining the battery.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2015 11:04:01 PM PST
Wendy says:
Yes...and it' annoying.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2015 12:50:28 AM PST
karmaman says:
Have you, in the past, often let your kindle run out of power? I ask because I've had this problem with electronic devices in the past, and it was usually because I let the device run completely out of power before charging, which basically wears the battery out. I found out that you're supposed to keep the device charged to prevent this, so as soon as the power level gets down to about 25% or lower, it's a good idea to charge it.

Posted on Feb 24, 2015 6:36:57 AM PST
Scott says:
While it's at least worth a try in the sense that you have nothing to lose, but the odds of a battery becoming "uncalibrated" to the point that the margin of error is 50% are virtually nil. This is a pretty classic sign of a consumed battery. If your device is less than a year old, make a warranty claim, otherwise it's likely only going to get worse and continued use of the device over the long term will increase the odds of the battery swelling (destroying the case in the process) and/or exploding. It is a significant safety hazard to continue using a device with a consumed battery long-term. When the battery starts swelling that is essentially your final warning that the next stage of failure is fire and/or explosion and it could happen at any time. It might be 10 minutes or 10 years, but it will happen and you should immediate cease all use of the device at that point.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2015 2:02:27 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 5, 2015 2:03:08 PM PDT
This is a helpful post

Posted on Jul 24, 2015 6:43:26 AM PDT
I have the same problem for some time now and called Amazon and the representative said it might be a faulty battery reader. Regrettably I am out of warranty. Have even considered getting another Kindle but am now wary of doing so. I am long long long time Amazon customer and have purchased many many items from Amazon - so this does not sit well with me.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 24, 2015 6:57:39 AM PDT
Scott says:
Why? Look around. Pick any tablet manufacturer you want and you'll be able to find people who have the exact same problems you see people here having. It's nothing unique to Amazon.

Posted on Jan 19, 2016 5:15:50 PM PST
Having the same issue. Around 42%, the Kindle shuts off until charged. Mine just started doing this fairly recently...owned it for a couple years now.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2016 6:09:13 AM PDT
I have the same. But I also have the problem the it often will not fire up again. Have to plug in to recharge to get it to fire up. Frusting.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  13
Total posts:  15
Initial post:  Jan 21, 2014
Latest post:  Jun 10, 2016

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions