Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7, starting at $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Best Apps for Kindle Fire (Opinions Please)

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 40 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 18, 2012, 11:06:32 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 18, 2012, 1:54:53 PM PST
Hey All!

So I wanted to start this thread to get everyone's opinion as to what they personally feel are the best apps out there for the Kindle Fire. This is not meant to be a discussion about which apps have the highest "star rating" in the app store or a discussion like "My buddy wrote this app and it is TOTALLY L337-zors! Zomg, it's sooooo good get it NOOOWWW or you're a noob!".

What I am looking for is real, honest evaluations of applications that you use on a regular basis and what makes them so great. Also, if you have any tips and tricks to enhance those apps or interesting or unique ways of using them or working with them in tandem with other apps would be great too!

I personally LOVE Springpad... it's permissions aren't nearly as invasive as Evernote and I love the Springpad extensions for Chrome (there are many, I use the official one and the third-party extension that adds a Springpad tab to my Yahoo web mail).

Additionally, even though it came pre-installed on the Kindle Fire, I really like Pulse. I've used the other aggregation apps (like ChannelCaster, et al) but I've found Pulse to be the best, especially because of the Google Reader integration.

Other apps that I really love are:

Analytix Pro, which is an app that allows you to monitor your Google Analytics information for the websites I administrate.

Bleacher Report, which is SO much better than the pre-installed ESPN app.

Text+ Gold, which like the name suggests, is a text application. It assigns you a free telephone number that only sends and receives texts. But the company has said they are working on expanded functionality.

Wifi Analyzer, which is a great, light weight app for managing wifi connections and if you install the sister app, Wifi Connecter (not available in the Amazon app store but you can install it if you allow third-party apps in your options menu) you can use both apps together to analyze and connect to or configure version wifi networks.

Badass Battery Monitor (Kindle Fire Edition) is an awesome app that allows you to get info about charge time, battery life, expected battery usage, etc. It has some of the same functionality as Android Assistant but for a light weight app it is quite useful.

Lastly, Alarm Clock Xtreme is the best clock/alarm app I've come across on ANY platform, not just Kindle Fire. It is WELL worth the price and the feature list is so extremely robust that you can set or customize nearly any aspect of the app.

What are your favorite apps?

Mike

P.S - Let's refrain from talking about games... unless of course it is THAT good. Plus, we all know about Angry Birds, Fruit Ninja, and Plants vs. Zombies!

EDIT: Here are the links I forgot to add before.

Springpad

LinkedIn Pulse

Analytix for Google Analytics

Team Stream by Bleacher Report

textPlus Gold Free Text + Calls for Android Phones, Tablets + Kindle Fire + Fire Phone

Wi-Fi Analyzer

GSam Battery Monitor (Kindle Tablet Edition)

Alarm Clock Xtreme & Timer

Posted on Jan 18, 2012, 11:30:35 AM PST
KathyS says:
I know a lot of you could care less about protecting the Fire from kids, but Kids Place is the best. It allows you to set what apps the kid can access, and doesn't allow the kid to access the web or purchase anything! Best thing EVER!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2012, 11:31:46 AM PST
Erich says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jan 18, 2012, 11:35:08 AM PST
T. Cannon says:
I really like the Free Lighter App. I know that sounds dumb but I like to be able to change the color of, the lighter, the background, the flame. Hours of enjoyment when I don't want to read. But then I'm easily amused. :-)

Posted on Jan 18, 2012, 11:36:35 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 18, 2012, 12:01:45 PM PST
Read It Later Pro

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2012, 11:43:02 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 18, 2012, 11:44:12 AM PST
Michael - I like these:

CalenGoo - Very nice calendar and can sync to the stock calendar that came with my Android phone.
Dictionary - Really like this one. Probably a favorite. Can be used off-line, too.
Enhanced Email - I like this for the increased font.
ES File Explorer - Handy for finding things you've downloaded like emailed Excel spreadsheets, etc.
WiFi File Explorer PRO - Great for transferring content from your PC without a USB cable.
OfficeSuite Pro 5 - I also have Documents to Go (full version) and Quickoffice Pro, but this one just seems easier to use,

Posted on Jan 18, 2012, 11:59:00 AM PST
jaimilyn says:
For women only... Period Tracker

Finally available for android! I had this on my iPod Touch and loved it, but since I got my android I don't use the Touch anymore.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2012, 12:18:24 PM PST
T. Cannon says:
CalenGoo looks really nice. I have a question. Does it work well offline? I have been using Cozi but since it is a family calendar that is meant to also be updated on the computer it seems that if I turn my wifi off I cannot look at future appointments. They don't seem to be stored in the Fire but rather online.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2012, 12:28:37 PM PST
T. Cannon - Yes, you can use it off-line.

I just tested it and was able to scroll forward and backward several months and see events. I added an event and it saved it. I did get a brief error saying it couldn't sync, but (duh) I knew that. ;-) As soon as I connected back to wi-fi, it updated my phone.

You do have to have a gmail calendar set up to use it. I never use my gmail calendar - it's just a conduit for me to use CalenGoo.

Posted on Jan 18, 2012, 12:41:36 PM PST
Arieswoman says:
I like the Restaurant Calorie Counter. Covers most restaurants.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2012, 12:44:05 PM PST
T. Cannon says:
Thank you for the response. This may be the way to go for me. Also thank you for the heads up on the G-mail calendar. I don't think I have one but I can set one up easily.

Posted on Jan 18, 2012, 12:52:18 PM PST
Jands1515 says:
Does anyone have any great finance or budget apps to recommend?
Thanks.
JLA

Posted on Jan 18, 2012, 1:33:11 PM PST
I personally like Springpad better than CalenGoo. You can set up Springpad to share between family members but it also allows you to share single notes, whole notebooks, or your entire account with anyone that you authorize. You should def. try it out if you like CalenGoo... also, Springpad is only half as useful if you don't take full advantage of the desktop apps and online interface. It's really an awesome program.

I am also interested in a financial program. It would be nice to have something that linked to my bank accounts so that I could see my current balance and check transactions. Don't need a fully functional banking app but something to monitor my accounts would be perfect.

Posted on Jan 18, 2012, 2:05:21 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 18, 2012, 2:07:31 PM PST]

Posted on Jan 18, 2012, 2:06:54 PM PST
GoToApp Demo is a freebie that has helped me organize all my apps into custom folders.

Now if there were only something similar for Internet bookmarks.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2012, 2:12:51 PM PST
jaimilyn says:
Totally. I use google bookmarks religiously, but I haven't found an app that takes advantage of them. Not even the Google apps, last I checked :-(

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2012, 6:12:08 PM PST
I love Calengoo, works great offline.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2012, 6:15:15 PM PST
Jersey Girl says:
OMG I so wish I had this in the 70's, life would have been so much easier. The tempature thing definitely didn't work!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2012, 6:16:44 PM PST
Jersey Girl says:
Calen Goo works great off line. I don't know why you would have to be on-line to use it unless you are syncing to google calendar.

Posted on Jan 20, 2012, 7:00:45 PM PST
W. Andres says:
So far, I've installed relatively few apps as I feel my way slowly along with my Fire. The three that I have appreciated the most are: EverNote, Badass Battery (Pro version... much easier to read) and Pulse (I LOVE Pulse).

I'm very interested in checking out: Calengoo and Enhanced Email. Thanks for the tips.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2012, 7:52:24 PM PST
T. Schiel says:
I just installed the WiFi Explorer PRO.....very nice. The easy way to transfer content.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2012, 8:59:52 AM PST
I used to like EverNote until I read all the permissions... did you know that anything that you upload to their cloud becomes property of their company? Yeah, I switched to SpringPad.

Posted on Jan 25, 2012, 8:09:21 PM PST
Laura says:
Another vote for CalenGoo and Pulse. I'll add:
ScreenDim -- allows you to dim the display way down below the default minimum for easier nighttime use.
iWallet -- basic personal finance
KeepTrack Pro -- lets you track things -- it's a bit hard to explain. I use it to keep track of current or past events that don't belong in my calendar or finance app, for example: When did I open this bag of dog food? How many eggs did my chickens produce three days ago? When did I last change the oil in my car, and what was the mileage?

Posted on Jan 25, 2012, 8:31:46 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 26, 2012, 4:18:01 AM PST
Ztu says:
Apps I use the most...

Beyondpod...great podcast app
Read It Later...I tag stuff on my computer, phone and even the Fire to read in a great format
Evernote...across al my devices
K9 email....much better than the built in one
Dropbox...great way to move files around
File Expert...share files on my computer, ftp site, dropbox and the Fire
Picfolio...the way Amazon should have done cloud photos...it is a google picassa app
I also like Netflix, some news and sports apps and some games but those are too many to list.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2012, 6:12:48 PM PST
The best thing about calen goo is that when you use the app calendar pad on your android phone, it syncs with the calendar on your kindle fire with calen goo. I never actually look at the google calendar, you just have to set it up to use both. that's why getting on the internet is important for me.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
how to cancel digital order from kindle 114 34 seconds ago
August, 2017 What are YOU reading? 53 26 minutes ago
88th Raok - roads? Where we're going we don't need roads! 1467 51 minutes ago
Free Books and Chat (FB&C)--August 2017 670 1 hour ago
Kindle keyboard turn on minutes left in a chapter? 1 1 hour ago
list versus covers 3 1 hour ago
Downloaded content from Amazon or Netflix won't play in kids mode witout wireless? 0 1 hour ago
Why is it so hard to log out of Amazon? 445 1 hour ago
So no more whispernet downloads? 18 2 hours ago
Kindle Wi-Fi stops working "MAC Address: Unavailable" 80 2 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  28
Total posts:  40
Initial post:  Jan 18, 2012
Latest post:  Aug 6, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 15 customers