Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Discover it $5 Albums Starting at $39.99 Halloween Candy Wedding Store Tailgate-Garden Amazon Football TV Wall Mounting CrisisinSixScenes CrisisinSixScenes CrisisinSixScenes  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 All-New Kindle for Kids Edition RollingStones Shop Now STEM
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Paperwhite - need the page turn button like on keyboard Kindle

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 62 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 24, 2013 5:47:44 AM PDT
I love everything about the Paperwhite EXCEPT having to go through so much to search through your list of books. So much simpler with the page turn button on the side of the keyboard version. Please make this alteration to the much-improved-in-every-other-way Paperwhite!!

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2013 5:50:38 AM PDT
This is a customer forum, Rebecca. If you want Amazon to see your suggestion specifically, email them at kindle-feedback@amazon.com . :0)

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2013 6:04:55 AM PDT
CBRetriever says:
a swipe from top to bottom is just as easy as pressing a button

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2013 6:06:44 AM PDT
Dragi Raos says:
Rebecca, I find it easy to swipe horizontally with thumb of whichever hand I hold the device in.

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2013 6:20:23 AM PDT
Thanks! I'd searched for a way to contact them but wasn't able to find it. I'll definitely send them a message.

Posted on May 24, 2013 6:42:16 AM PDT
ScottBooks says:
Physical page turn buttons are vastly superior to the touch screen when actually reading a book. So much so that I don't believe the engineers who designed either the Touch or the Paperwhite ever used them to sit and read with.

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2013 6:48:25 AM PDT
CBRetriever says:
gotta disagree here: the ones on the K2i > Kindle Touch touch screen < Kindle Paperwhite touch screen > Basic Kindle (hate the sharp, flimsy feeling buttons on this one - I'm always feeling like they're gonna snap off)

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2013 6:52:35 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 24, 2013 6:52:55 AM PDT
Dragi Raos says:
Well, I thought so (and insisted on that here) until I sat and started reading from them... :o))

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2013 6:53:23 AM PDT
King Al says:
I completely disagree with you. I actually hate page turn buttons.

Posted on May 24, 2013 7:01:47 AM PDT
ScottBooks says:
I have the original Kindle, the Keyboard, the Paperwhite (sold my Touch after a year) and the baby. The physical keys are at least 5% faster to use than the touchscreen. Why add therbligs to something you do ever fifteen seconds? Seems nonsensical.

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2013 7:07:07 AM PDT
S. Prewitt says:
"Therbligs" - good word!

Posted on May 24, 2013 7:08:05 AM PDT
CBRetriever says:
the Touch is the fastest of my Kindles (K2i, Basic, Touch, Paperwhite and KF HD 7") - I've never seen a KK, so I can't judge it compared to the Touch

I think the Touch is faster, because it requires less effor, so there's not a need to fully press a button - I just rock my thumb forward a very slight amount and the page changes vs having to depress a button until it makes contact

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2013 7:08:30 AM PDT
Dragi Raos says:
I still don't notice that tapping the screen with my thumb is any slower than tapping a button (but button adds to complexity, size, price and number of things that can break).

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2013 7:12:20 AM PDT
ScottBooks says:
But I don't have to tap a button. My thumb is already on it. Unlike the screen where I repeatedly have to move my thumb to it and then away from it. Wasted motions.

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2013 7:14:23 AM PDT
Dragi Raos says:
Perhaps we have different "grip" - I have to move my thumb to reach the button, too.

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2013 7:16:13 AM PDT
I'm with you - thumb rests on the button and a twitch turns one page. No movement and no accidentally moving ahead two or three extra pages.

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2013 7:16:18 AM PDT
This is true. When I hold my KK, I can lightly rest my thumb on the button (on either side, mind you), and only twitch a muscle to turn the page.

On the PW, I have to keep my thumb over on the bezel, and do a thumb-wrestling stretch to tap the screen. It's definitely a different hold, and more motion.

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2013 7:21:19 AM PDT
CBRetriever says:
see, I use my left hand to hold and my right thumb to do the slight twitch to page forward - no way on earth I would not hold onto my kindle with two hands on the busy Paris metros, trains and buses or even sitting in a park because of the thieves that abound

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2013 7:23:30 AM PDT
S. Prewitt says:
Gypsies?

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2013 7:32:28 AM PDT
CBRetriever says:
well, they tend to blame everything on the Roms, but it's actually lots of different groups with a high percentage of teenagers

we've been mugged once (North Africans), Mr CBR has been robbed once of a map from his pocket (possibly Roms, but middle-aged), the gold ring scam was tried on us (definite Roms) and two people tried to mug him (an American white 20-something couple)

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2013 7:40:46 AM PDT
S. Prewitt says:
Holy crap!

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2013 7:43:01 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 24, 2013 7:55:05 AM PDT
Dragi Raos says:
United Colors of Benetton!

:o))

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2013 8:02:06 AM PDT
CBRetriever says:
that's in almost 4 years, though - Houston, TX was just as dangerous, though we were never robbed at an ATM there, just by the clerk at the local gas station who compromised our credit card and sold it around the world (I look at my CC details daily online for that reason)

Posted on May 24, 2013 11:41:25 AM PDT
B. Marks says:
I also like having page turn buttons but these are such great devices with or without them that having page turn buttons is, to me, a very minor issue. I have a Kindle for reading and each new model is better for reading than the last. They keep dropping minor features and improving the reading quality and I'm fine with that.

Barry

Posted on May 24, 2013 11:52:35 AM PDT
DinDC says:
I loved my Kindle2 and KK. I thought I would miss the page turn buttons when I got the PW but haven't missed them at all. Haven't had any problem holding the PW in my left hand and advancing the page with my thumb. I wouldn't want to go back to the page turn buttons.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
We're Quirky And We Know It! Come Witness The Howling Dink, Hussy Turkey Hens, And A Veritable Plethora Of Other Beasts! So Geese! 7521 8 minutes ago
September, 2016 Informal Poll, What are you reading? 192 13 minutes ago
What do the location numbers on my Kindle actually mean? 45 22 minutes ago
Can I play the same music to multiple Echo devices? 28 24 minutes ago
86th RAoK - Let the Games Begin 6427 25 minutes ago
Amazon Echo outside US 125 28 minutes ago
I published my ebooks through a publishing company, how can i claim ownership of it on amazona and keep tracks of sales? 3 34 minutes ago
How do you update apps on the Kindle Fire 238 39 minutes ago
Credit card 1 42 minutes ago
How do I get to the kindle library to read the book I ordered 1 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  32
Total posts:  62
Initial post:  May 24, 2013
Latest post:  Mar 30, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers