Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Shop Now
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Free Books & Chat-Wed. 15, 2013

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 199 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 14, 2013 10:00:02 PM PDT
BubbaK says:
Good morning, afternoon and evening, wherever you are in this wonderful world of ours. Pull up a chair and get comfy (unless you are at work, then duck behind the computer) and join us for a day of free book finding and chatting. While looking at bios tonight I realized we have several people we haven't heard from for a while. So today would be a good day just to pop in and say, "Hi, RL is crazy." Or I'm here and still alive and lurking. Hope everyone has a great day!

Links To Free Book Resources . . .

Ereaderiq:
http://ereaderiq.com/freebies/

Dailyfreebooks:
dailyfreebooks.com

eReaderPerks:
www.eReaderPerks.com

FreeReadFeed:
freereadfeed.com

Heidoc:
http://www.heidoc.net/amazon/subscribe.php?department=MYSTHR&sort=TITLE&newtitles=on&GO=GO
(use the dropdown menu at the top to find other categories of Fiction as well as Non-Fiction)

Direct Amazon search:
http://www.amazon.com/s/?rh=n:154606011,p_36:0-0,p_15=&hidden-keywords=-domain

SEARCH ENGINE:
http://www.jungle-search.com/US/ After the search populates, I sort by publication date to find the new freebies.

You are strongly urged to confirm the price of the book before completing your purchase.
The price displayed on Amazon's website at the time of purchase is the price of the book.
AUTHORS - THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR SELF PROMOTION.
Please do not post your books or post links to your books here.
Self-promotion violates Amazon's Terms of Service, is not welcomed
by customers, and will be reported to Amazon.

******FB&C Starter Schedule*********

Lover of Books - Thursday, May 16 Start Time 12:00am PT
Robb - Friday, May 17 start time 11pm PT
Susan - Saturday, May 18 start time by 630 am ET

Leo - Monday, May 20 start time 11:00pm to 12:00am PT

Lover of Books - Thursday, May 21 Start Time 12:00am PT
Robb - Friday, May 24 start time 11pm PT
Susan - Saturday, May 25 start time by 630 am ET

╰❈╮Open Dates:

Sunday, May 19
Tuesday, May 21
Wednesday, May 22

Sunday, May 26

*** Please consider volunteering to be a thread starter. ***
Choose an available day, copy/paste schedule into a post and add your info.
**************** We'll help you through it! ****************

°.¸¸.*★°.¸¸.*★°.¸¸.*★°.¸¸.*★°.¸¸.*★°.¸¸.*

For a no frills version, please visit our sister thread Freebie BOOKS - Links Only - No Self Promotion...

http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle/ref=cm_cd_pg_pg78?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1D7SY3BVSESG&cdPage=78&cdThread=Tx21VD4083ZF1LD
*.☆。☆。*。*.☆。☆。*。*.☆。☆。*。*.☆。

╰❈╮If you would like to find some of our previously posted recipes or to post one of your own...

http://www.amazon.com/forum/cooking/ref=cm_cd_et_md_pl?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx211KPGGBLHNC6&cdMsgID=Mx3TF4806AD6YTU&cdMsgNo=1&cdPage=1&cdSort=oldest&cdThread=TxQUJZ6FYNH8VQ#Mx3TF4806AD6YTU

***For all things FB&C*************
https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0Bxt8Ey-AsMfIUDZUS3p0SnpqZG8/edit

***Link to yesterdays thread********

http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle/ref=cm_cd_pg_pg1?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1D7SY3BVSESG&cdPage=1&cdThread=Tx24RN753G8Q87N

Posted on May 14, 2013 10:05:19 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 14, 2013 10:07:28 PM PDT
GrammaKathy says:
Bubbak thanks for the start. I trust you will get some sleep now?

(((Hugs)))

ETA sorry I didn't realize you weren't ready yet...ooops

Posted on May 14, 2013 10:05:43 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 14, 2013 10:28:03 PM PDT
BubbaK says:
"I only hope that we never lose sight of the one thing-that it was all started by a mouse." Walt Disney October 1954
Since most of my days revolve around, The Mouse, and his friends. I found that today, May 15th, 1928, Mickey made his first cartoon short appearance in Plane Crazy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCZPzHg0h80
Mickey wasn't originally his name. Walt wanted to name him Mortimer after the pet mouse he had as a child. But his ever so smart wife, whom he listened to, as all men should, said, "Name him Mickey."
As you can see Mickey has changed some over the years. And who would have thunk that Mickey only having 3 fingers and a thumb would save the studio millions.
Each of Mickey's hands has only three fingers and a thumb. Disney said that this was both an artistic and financial decision, explaining "Artistically five digits are too many for a mouse. His hand would look like a bunch of bananas. Financially, not having an extra finger in each of 45,000 drawings that make up a six and one half minute short has saved the Studio millions." In the film The Opry House (1929), Mickey was given his white gloves which were a simple way of contrasting his naturally black hands against his black body.
Ever since the beginning Mickey has always had a "thang" for Minnie. He actually started out as a randy little rat,er, mouse. And as his popularity grew they changed him to a sweeter more kid friendly critter.
Mickey started making Walt big bucks as far back as the 1930s. Even with the depression going on, Mickey and friends were making over $600,000.00 a year in merchandise alone. The first biggest and best seller was the original Mickey Mouse watch made by Ingersoll-Waterbury Clock Co. and sold for $3.25. Today that would be $52.00. Today the Walt Disney Company hauls in around $36 billion a year. Due to the parks, shows and merchandise that schmuks like me buy.
Mickey's gang of friends includes, Minnie, Donald Duck, Daisy Duck, Goofy, and Pluto. Poor Pluto is the only character that is really a dog. He walks on all fours and can't talk. It is reported he is named after the planet Pluto, which was discovered a few months before his major appearance.
Okay, so this could go on forever. There is so much related to The Mouse in the last 85 yrs. What I do know is-you can catch him on Disney Channel 2-3 times a day. And when he goes off there he is on Disney Jr. 3-4 times a day. Or if you are riding in my car you can watch one of several DVDs. Or you can play with 1 of 3 play figurine sets. Or you can cuddle with 1 of 8 stuffed animals. Or you can lay on a Minnie pillow and cover up with a Minnie comforter. I should have bought stock in the mouse. ...
So this will be Happy Mickey Mouse Day! Please feel free to share, any and all Disney related experiences that you have had.

eta-I was going to edit this so it would look like it did when I copied it. With paragraphs, line breaks. The you tube on separate line. But when I pulled up edit, everything was already moving around on it own. So its staying the way it is. Sorry

Posted on May 14, 2013 10:10:21 PM PDT
BubbaK says:
Thanks GrammaKathy- Had issues with copy and paste again and didn't get my Mouse stuff with the beginning. But it is what it is. And yea, the sleep really needs to kick in. I was afraid I would be sleepy way early and have to get up in am to start. But right now seems to be playing repeat of last night.

In reply to an earlier post on May 14, 2013 10:13:57 PM PDT
redandwhite says:
@ BubbaK
Thanks for the great start, and I am so pleased that you are making this a day to call out to all those that we haven't heard from in a while.
I am thinking ... anyone heard from Courtney recently?
Courtney are you out there ? if so please check in for a moment, miss you.

In reply to an earlier post on May 14, 2013 10:18:21 PM PDT
redandwhite says:
@ BubbaK
Somehow I get the feeling that you might be a Mickey fan ;-)
Very informative and amusing, lots I didn't know, loved the info about his fingers, I had never considered that there might have been a reason for only having 3 and a thumb, as I have said before, FB&C is where you can learn something new every day.

Posted on May 14, 2013 10:18:51 PM PDT
BubbaK says:
This is going to be my motto for today. Whenever it begins that is.

Coke (no coffee) in hand,
Pull my big girl panties up,
Have a sparkle in my eye and a smile on my face....
Yep, I'd say I'm ready for the day....Bring it on!

Posted on May 14, 2013 10:21:41 PM PDT
4Nbahu says:
Bringing this over from yesterday. Just in case I was unclear, I do not recommend the below for YA,

I just wanted to bring this to the attention of anyone purchasing YA books. NOT FREE NOW. Dying To Forget (The Station) "Dying to Forget" is a well written book, it kept my attention. BUT while it doesn't glorify suicide it does make it seem like an option for a happy ending. The book was free on April 12, 2013. It is so well written in fact, that I actually got sucked into the universe, as I began pondering the book for the review, it actually scared me how reasonable the book sounded. In addition it ends in a cliffhanger, without resolving anything.

Posted on May 14, 2013 10:23:16 PM PDT
BubbaK says:
Red-Me a Mickey fan not so much. That would be Little Miss. New experience for me. Neither of my boys or GS was into too much character stuff. The boys did do GI Joe and Star Wars. But this little one is totally obessed with all things Mickey. But I did learn a few things today!

In reply to an earlier post on May 14, 2013 10:24:40 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 14, 2013 10:25:34 PM PDT
redandwhite says:
Thought this was fitting for the day -and Little Miss

http://sphotos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/p480x480/216047_518907898125136_8196564_n.jpg

In reply to an earlier post on May 14, 2013 10:30:39 PM PDT
BubbaK says:
Yep, that would be perfect for her.

In reply to an earlier post on May 14, 2013 10:33:43 PM PDT
redandwhite says:
Hi 4Nbahu
I think that it is just great that you post things like this.
Hope your day will be a good one

In reply to an earlier post on May 14, 2013 10:36:26 PM PDT
redandwhite says:
So Bubbak - was there anyone in particular of the absentees that you wanted to give a call out to ?

Posted on May 14, 2013 10:38:38 PM PDT
BubbaK says:
Okay I am going to try to head for the bed. If it doesn't work I will be back. Otherwise see you all in the a.m. Night!

In reply to an earlier post on May 14, 2013 10:41:03 PM PDT
redandwhite says:
I really do hope that you get some sleep sounds like you really need it. Night night

Posted on May 14, 2013 10:52:50 PM PDT
BubbaK says:
Red-There were 4-5 that were pretty regulars. But that was 2 hours ago, Should have written them down. Maybe skim over again in the morning. Like you said Courtney, Judy D, there are others. But if some oldies check the list and know who we haven't heard from before I get on it, go ahead.

Posted on May 14, 2013 10:56:57 PM PDT
Zoo, Ellem, Chaya, Courtney, Judy D, those are the ones that come to my mind..

In reply to an earlier post on May 14, 2013 11:10:46 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 14, 2013 11:11:06 PM PDT
redandwhite says:
@ Sandy
Yes and Moggy K, LKS and.........
and where is Biscay haven't seen you in a while
Actually we miss you all

Have to go now but will try to check in during work - oops running late right now

Posted on May 15, 2013 2:33:20 AM PDT
redandwhite says:
Fatal Affair: Book One of the Fatal Series by Marie Force

Washington, D.C., Metro Police Detective Sergeant Sam Holland needs a big win to salvage her career--and her confidence--after a disastrous investigation. The perfect opportunity arises when Senator John O'Connor is found brutally murdered in his bed, and Sam is assigned to the case. Matters get complicated when Sam has to team up with Nick Cappuano, O'Connor's friend and chief of staff...and the man Sam had a memorable one-night stand with years earlier. Their sexual chemistry still sizzles, and Sam has to fight to stay focused on the case. Sleeping with a material witness is another mistake she can't afford--especially when the bodies keep piling up.

Book 1 in the Fatal Series from NEW YORK TIMES, USA TODAY and WALL STREET JOURNAL bestselling author Marie Force.

Posted on May 15, 2013 2:48:27 AM PDT
Dianna says:
For those who enjoyed last months book discussion read she has another freebie available today

When You Were Older

"A fantastic read which will have people talking about it for many weeks and months to come." -Sarah of Sarah's Book Reviews

"My favourite novel yet by this author!" -Lindsay of The Little Reader Library.

Russell Ammiano works on the 104th floor of the World Trade Center. On the morning of September 11, 2001, the phone rings while Rusty is rushing to work. The news is devastating: Rusty's mother has died of a stroke, leaving his brain-damaged older brother Ben alone. This news also saves Rusty's life. He's still at home when two planes hit the World Trade Center--and only one of his friends and colleagues survives. In a single day, the life Rusty built in New York crumbles to the ground.

Rusty returns to his tiny hometown and the brother he was more than happy to leave behind. Ben hasn't changed a bit, but the town has. Tensions are running high in the wake of the terrorist attack, while Rusty struggles to put the the past behind him and care for the exasperating brother he loves. He finds refuge drinking coffee in the early morning with beautiful Egyptian-American Anat in her father's bakery.

Rusty is beginning to get his life back...until one awful night threatens to take it all away again.

By the bestselling author of DON'T LET ME GO, WHEN I FOUND YOU, SECOND HAND HEART, and PAY IT FORWARD, WHEN YOU WERE OLDER is the poignant, uplifting, and thought-provoking story of two very different brothers who try to build a new life together, against the backdrop of an uncertain and uneasy time in our shared history.

"...and the award for the amount of humanity woven into a book goes to Catherine Ryan Hyde." -Ivana of Willing to

(hope I got the link right - first timer)

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2013 3:06:53 AM PDT
Susan says:
Dianna - link works fine :)

Good Morning all....

Posted on May 15, 2013 3:13:26 AM PDT
Good Morning Susan...

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2013 3:24:03 AM PDT
Susan says:
Hi Sandy - how are you feeling? BP a little lower this week? :)

Posted on May 15, 2013 3:55:11 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 15, 2013 4:27:10 AM PDT
Susan says:
The Condor's Feather
Intrigue and adventure combine with a touch of romance in this unconventional story set in 1885.

With her thirst for adventure, Cynthia Beresford refuses to be constrained by the standards demanded of her by aristocratic Victorian society. She not only rides like a man, but desires other privileges enjoyed by the gentlemen of her era. Searching for excitement, she forgoes the luxuries of life at Huntingley and embarks on a riding expedition across the Pampas of Patagonia.
Though little is known of that inhospitable land, she is undeterred and boards a steamer in Liverpool bound for South America. Accompanying her on the voyage are her father and twin brother, her brother's friend - a playwright, and her faithful Newfoundland dogs.
On the outward passage, Thia meets a mysterious Welshman, Euan Davies and when the party disembarks from the steamer on the Strait of Magellan, Davies agrees to accompany them on the ride and act as their guide. But after only a week in the saddle, his disturbing secret starts to unravel. Soon Thia's party find themselves embroiled in a deadly game of cat and mouse with a group of dangerous prison escapees.
Beset by Indians, inhospitable terrain, pampas winds and mountain lions, is it possible this mismatched group of travelers can survive their adventure at the tail end of the world?

Posted on May 15, 2013 4:26:10 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 15, 2013 4:27:07 AM PDT
AnnieB says:
Morning/afternoon/evening :)

I survived my meeting and have a thumbs up to continue ;) So that's good news. I can't thank you guys enough for the encouragement and messages. Truly you guys are a special bunch ^^ Thank you also to Elizabeth S H for the unexpected gift! Wow! Thank you! It's on top of my TBR pile and now I actually have some breathing space, so I'm going to take my PW out into the sun and sit under my umbrella and enjoy myself!

I had a few freebies today on my list (thanks for the reminder :)
The Truth Beyond the Sky (The Epic of Aravinda)
The Bachelor Pact
Oh sweet Tequila!: 36 Sweet, Simple and Easy to Make Tequila-Flavored Dessert Recipes (The Mexican Food Cookbooks)
Farmhouse Cookbook 3 Book Bundle: Slow Cooking, Chicken Recipes & Easy Soup Recipes (Farmhouse Kitchen)
Voodoo or Die (Mojo, Louisiana humorous mystery series #2)
Resistance: A Paranormal Romantic Suspense (Dark Realm Series, Volume One)
if you look in the description area for the last 2, you will find a link to freepartay with a bunch more freebies which will maybe appeal. :)
Have a good afternoon. I'll be around.. I wish I could figure out what to do with myself... I don't know what to do without a pile of work hanging over me :P

Thanks for the cool start. I've been a big mouse fan since steamboat willie! :D (I <3 Bosko and Honey, too.. but nobody even knows who they are anymore :(
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Amazon Echo outside US 116 50 seconds ago
86th RAoK - Let the Games Begin 4416 3 minutes ago
MSDS for Kindle Paperwhite battery 2 13 minutes ago
Can you connect a flash drive to Kindle Fire HD using an adapter? 57 18 minutes ago
Free Books and Chat - August 2016 769 19 minutes ago
KINDLE KITCHEN #6: A place for sharing, caring, chat and FUN! 129 24 minutes ago
changing from landscape to portrait in reading books 154 27 minutes ago
Kindle app with an Apple computer with OS X El Capitan 1 33 minutes ago
I was deleting books from my cloud & I delete my Jimmy Swagger bible. Is there any way I can get it backk 143 39 minutes ago
2 Kindles - One account 25 42 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  30
Total posts:  199
Initial post:  May 14, 2013
Latest post:  Jan 8, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions