Your Garage Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning LastTycoon LastTycoon LastTycoon  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Next Kindle: Buttons Again?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-13 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 10, 2014, 1:09:58 PM PDT
LuliMom says:
I have a Kindle 2. I've been debating upgrading to a Paperwhite, but the lack of page turn buttons looks inconvenient. I can see from the reviews that others dislike touchscreen based page turning too. Is it possible that the next gen Paperwhite will get the page turn buttons back?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2014, 1:12:14 PM PDT
Miss Carol says:
It's possible, of course, but seeing as we're all customers here, your guess is as good as ours. Most of the people on this forum who have moved to the PW seem to feel that it just takes some time to adjust to - then it's no big deal any longer.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2014, 1:12:56 PM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:
Well of course it is possible. Just like it is possible it will be able to drive your car for you. Of course just because it is possible doesn't mean it is going to happen. Your guess is as good as ours.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2014, 1:14:20 PM PDT
Many hope there will be. Tech press reports say a new model will be released 2nd quarter 2014.

Only Amazon knows for sure.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2014, 1:17:46 PM PDT
Most of the rumors I've seen about a possible new PW during the second quarter say there will be some sort of mechanism (not buttons, but something) in the bezel that will allow you to turn the pages, rather than touching the screen. I have hopes.

Posted on Mar 10, 2014, 1:20:45 PM PDT
LuliMom says:
I should have searched more thoroughly:

"The edges of the device will also now be `buttons' of a sort. According to what we've heard, instead of old-fashioned 'split' buttons found on previous Kindles, these will be 'squeezable' buttons that give off haptic feedback when activated. Theoretically, this should allow you to change pages without having to awkwardly reach over with your thumb to tap the `next page' zone on the Paperwhite's screen. And making the buttons squeezable keeps the sleek lines of the Paperwhite's margins." -Techcrunch.com

Yay! I'll wait for this to come out.

Posted on Mar 10, 2014, 1:24:51 PM PDT
R. D. Clark says:
TechCrunch is so far the sole source of this now-months old rumor. Whether it represents an actual future product is anybody's guess.

Posted on Mar 10, 2014, 4:18:46 PM PDT
Jwb52z says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2014, 5:00:20 PM PDT
B. Marks says:
I've had every kindle since my first, the Kindle Keyboard, so I've used both page turn buttons and touch screens. When I got the Touch I was dubious about that but I decided to give it a try. I didn't like the size and weight of the Kindle Keyboard but I wanted 3G, which my Kindle Basic didn't have.

I played with it about a week, forcing myself to stay with it till I got used to it, grumbling the whole time. Then I finally went back to my Basic Kindle with the buttons. But then I got my big surprise. I'd gotten so used to swiping to turn pages that the buttons were a real hassle.

I've been swiping screens to turn pages ever since. If they come out with a new one I'll probably get it to give it a try but I'm so happy with the Paperwhite that they'll need to really use their imaginations to get me away from it.

Buttons or swiping simply don't matter when it's time to turn the page. I just do it. I never even think about it. It's automatic. I read the book and pages somehow get turned. For me the real difference is that with buttons I have to be very careful holding it, often not in the most comfortable way, to avoid hitting the button accidentally and yet to be able to easily hit it when it's time. Accidents still happen and I lose my concentration going back. With the touch screen I hold it any way I like and there are never any accidents. It's just a lot more comfortable holding the thing.

There's a 30 day return period on the Paperwhite. My suggestion is get one and use it exclusively for a while and then go back to the old one. If you still like the page turn buttons after that, send the Paperwhite back. My guess is you won't.

Barry

Barry

Posted on Mar 10, 2014, 5:14:12 PM PDT
Tessa says:
I started with the kindle with the keyboard and page turn buttons. I then gave that to a friend and bought the touch screen. I got used to it so quickly that it was difficult to use the old one when my friend needed help. I now have a Kindle fire hd 7 and wouldn't swap it for anything!
I will say that I have been told that having buttons on the device for page turning could be of great help for those who are vision impaired who listen to the books.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2014, 5:14:59 PM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:
Physical keyboards are a thing of the past. To keep the devices small they cannot add a keyboard. Also anything physical they add would also add to the cost. Personally I prefer the onscreen keyboards.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 18, 2014, 9:45:46 AM PDT
Jwb52z says:
I don't need a device to always be small, even if I do want one smaller than the DX, so that's not really a selling point for me. The cost these days should be minimal, relatively, for a simple keyboard as on the first few Kindle generations. I just don't like having to touch the screen except to clean it and touching it just makes cleaning that much more time consuming. If and when they make either a holographic Kindle keyboard or a screen that can't get dirty, then I might not mind so much. It's just easier for me to type on a physical rather than virtual keyboard.

Posted on Mar 18, 2014, 9:59:55 AM PDT
Robin says:
I want the buttons. why? one very simple reason - ACCESSIBILITY. I have hand mobility issues, and as much as I'd like to be able to do the swipe thing, I cant. My daughter has the touch screen and I've tried it. Just doesnt work... I already contacted the design team and said Pretty please?? I would have gotten the paperwhite by now but havent because of the button issue....
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
We're Quirky! There Are Various Critters, Including Tail-less Manx Kittens, Here. We Also Have Hugh Manatee. Bring Your Quilting And Sewing Projects, Your Camera, And Your Instant Pot. So Geese And Tally Ho! 3162 16 seconds ago
Mass delte email on Kindle Fire HD help 63 2 minutes ago
Discounted / Price Dropped Kindle eBooks IV 2407 4 minutes ago
SwagBucks Thread 2016 2412 6 minutes ago
Dragi's Croatian Crab Shack and Wine Bar - The Answers Are Blowing In The Wind 5746 13 minutes ago
Google Chromecast work with the Kindle Fire HD or Fire HDX 240 14 minutes ago
transfer photos from Kindle HDX 8.9 42 39 minutes ago
Fire stick won't play Amazon Prime content only 9 42 minutes ago
Amazon buy back of damaged fire tablets ? 22 46 minutes ago
Free Books & Chat July 2017 771 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  10
Total posts:  13
Initial post:  Mar 10, 2014
Latest post:  Mar 18, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.