Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

You know what I miss? Kindle Keyboard progress bar!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-21 of 21 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 3, 2013, 12:15:47 PM PST
I am now on my 2nd Paperwhite (gave the first to my wife) and I love it, except for one thing: I started with a Kindle Keyboard (then went to Touch, then Paperwhite) and I absolutely miss the progress bar that has the little markings showing how long each chapter is, and where you were in between. This was easily the most helpful feature of Kindle software. I find most of the other features (x-ray, annotations, notes, highlights, etc) useless. But that progress bar was the best thing about the Kindle.

I know that recent Kindles have the "time left in chapter/book" option, but it's very unhelpful. Its calculations are almost always incorrect. I will often set my book down to do something else (deal with the kids, answer a text message, etc), and when I come back to it, the "time left" feature has incorrectly interpreted such events as me taking longer to read a given page. So it will often tell me I have 10 minutes left in a chapter that in actuality I breeze through in 3 minutes. The visual progress bar, on the other hand, didn't try to predict such things. It just showed me where I was.

At the very least, give me the option of turning it on/off. Many users may not want it, but it is the one "can't live without" feature from the Keyboard and I am absolutely devastated and frustrated that it was taken away. Please, PLEASE bring it back Amazon!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2013, 12:58:40 PM PST
Dragi Raos says:
Matthew, I also liked the old progress bar, but we seem to be a relatively tiny minority, and every additional option increases code complexity and probability of problems. New PW returns "chapter jump" with some additional cool "leafing" features, so I take it as a kind of compensation.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2013, 1:48:40 PM PST
I have never had need for chapter jump or the leafing feature (though I understand the latter is commonly requested). I also don't think we're as much in the minority as you think. I remember there being numerous threads dedicated to this topic. I think what's happened is that there have been several products in the interim that didn't have it, so many of the folks posting around here never experienced how awesome it was. I truly wish they would return to it. Many of the options they are including are far less useful, so the ROI on adding it back would be high, IMO.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2013, 1:59:02 PM PST
Well, I'm not devastated, but I do like my progress bar, too. I turn off that goofy "time to read" thing. It's annoying.

Posted on Nov 4, 2013, 9:38:01 PM PST
I completely, absolutely, entirely agree. Why oh why did they remove this essential feature? It was so much drastically better than the time left in chapter thing. Why can't they bring it back for those of us that prefer it? I'd take that progress bar back over any of the recent features any day.

Posted on Dec 17, 2013, 3:42:42 AM PST
JSquaredZ says:
Why can't they just have both and let you choose? I like the progress bar as well. I also would like the option to have "pages remaining in chapter" like nook.

Posted on Dec 17, 2013, 3:54:19 AM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
I thought I would miss that feature on my paperwhite as well but I don't. After the first day I didn't even notice.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2013, 4:04:50 AM PST
CBRetriever says:
and I love on the Paperwhite 1 being able to turn off any progress indicators

Posted on Dec 17, 2013, 4:51:26 AM PST
R. D. Clark says:
"Percentage read" is the exact same data as the progress bar. So I don't miss the progress bar.

Posted on Dec 17, 2013, 5:37:59 AM PST
M. Bridge says:
I miss the progress bar especially on box sets. I also miss the fact if the book didn't have markings in the progress bar you could go to each chapter or book and bookmark them to show up in the bar.

Posted on Dec 17, 2013, 5:56:24 AM PST
TravelingGal says:
I miss the progress bar, too. The visual representation of where you are, the chapter divisions, and the overall indication of length provides a lot of information in a quick, easy to interpret format. I'm not crazy about any of the other alternatives.

Posted on Dec 17, 2013, 5:45:02 PM PST
Sarida says:
I just miss my KK :(

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2014, 3:24:33 AM PST
Anniik says:
Totally agree! Give us back the progressbar!!

Posted on Dec 30, 2014, 4:04:32 AM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
I don't miss it at all.

Posted on Jan 2, 2015, 7:47:29 AM PST
pleaaase give us back the progressbar !!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 6, 2015, 3:54:55 AM PDT
DisplacedMic says:
no it isnt. the progress bar's best feafure imo was the chapter tick marks.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 6, 2015, 4:07:45 AM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:
It's gone for good...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2015, 7:30:19 AM PST
Wellsie says:
How do you know?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2015, 8:39:47 AM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
A friend of a friend's uncle heard it from his aunts twin sister's roommate's boyfriend's third cousin. Highly reliable....

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2015, 9:31:09 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Aug 19, 2016, 9:17:46 AM PDT]

Posted on Nov 24, 2015, 9:41:56 AM PST
I guess you could always get a pencil and paper and record a tally mark for each screen page read and create a new page counting technique. Not sure how Amazon would implement it, maybe provide pencil and paper with new orders. :)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
recover deleted book 105 7 hours ago
KINDLE KITCHEN #6: A place for sharing, caring, chat and FUN! 9237 7 hours ago
Where do I find Serial Number if my Kindle sceen is white and totally blank? 19 7 hours ago
88th Raok - roads? Where we're going we don't need roads! 2210 7 hours ago
My 2nd Generation Kindle (with keyboard) won't update 122 7 hours ago
FREE Books & Chat - September 2017 626 7 hours ago
We're Quirky! There Are Various Critters, Including Tail-less Manx Kittens, Here. We Also Have Hugh Manatee. Bring Your Quilting And Sewing Projects, Your Camera, And Your Instant Pot. So Geese And Tally Ho! 4555 7 hours ago
Discounted / Price Dropped Kindle eBooks IV 2849 7 hours ago
Problem charging my Kindle 27 7 hours ago
Elephants Three at The Ģrandest Hotel - Part IV 6633 7 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  17
Total posts:  21
Initial post:  Nov 3, 2013
Latest post:  Nov 24, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers