Lyft Industrial Deals Fall Reading Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Noah Gundersen Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating FFII_gno
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

FREE Books and Chat - Wed. Jan. 2, 2013

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 245 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 1, 2013, 6:50:03 PM PST
Courtney says:
Hey y'all!

Welcome to "That Day".
That Day when kids go back to school.
That Day when the holidays are finished.
That Day when routines start again.
That Day when to-do lists are smaller.
That Day when you look around and realize how dreary January can be.
That Day when resolutions are broken. Oh, wait. Maybe that's next week ;)

That Day when you realize how much you've missed your FBAC friends over the holiday season: Diwali, Thanksgiving, Hanukkah, Christmas, Kwanzaa, New Years.

Welcome to January.

And the most important question: Are you saying twenty thirteen yet?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Links to daily free book sources:

Kinlib:
http://us.kinlib.com/

Ereaderiq:
ereaderiq.com/free/

Dailyfreebooks:
dailyfreebooks.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
** SPECIAL MESSAGE TO AUTHORS **
You are welcome to join us for conversation, however, self-promotion or posting a link to your book in this area is against Amazon's TOS. Please go to the "Meet Our Authors" area for that, as many of us do check there as well.
THANK YOU FOR FOLLOWING THE RULES!

Starter Schedule:

Judy D - Thursday, Jan. 3, Start Time around 11 p.m. EST
Lover of Books - Friday, Jan. 4 Start Time: 12:30am PST
DonnaBeeGood - Saturday, January 5 Start Time midnight MST
Leo Little - Monday, Jan. 7 Start Time: 12:00am PST
Courtney - Wednesday, Jan. 9 Start Time: About 12 EST
JudyD - Thursday, Jan. 10, Start Time around 11 p.m. EST
Lover of Books - Friday, Jan. 11 Start Time: 12:30am PST

Open Dates:

Sunday, Jan. 6
Tuesday, Jan. 8
Saturday, Jan. 12
Sunday, Jan. 13
Monday, Jan. 14
Tuesday, Jan. 15
Wednesday, Jan. 16
Thursday, Jan. 17
Friday, Jan. 18
Saturday, Jan. 19
Sunday, Jan. 20

*** Please consider volunteering to be a thread starter. If you have the desire, but not the knowledge, please ask. We are happy to give you the confidence boost and the knowledge to create a start.*********

Book Discussion:
Our next book discussion is on January 10, 2013 about the book NOT FREE In Deep Voodoo (Mojo, Louisiana humorous mystery series #1) NOT FREE also found in NOT FREE Love Can Be Murder (boxed set of humorous mysteries) NOT FREE

Yesterday's link
http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle/ref=cm_cd_tfp_ef_tft_tp?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1D7SY3BVSESG&cdThread=Tx2TKY3JVL6CPIB

Posted on Jan 1, 2013, 7:02:29 PM PST
Hmmmm here or there. That is the question.

Posted on Jan 1, 2013, 7:05:37 PM PST
Courtney says:
Typically it just depends on whether you want to finish out one day, or start out the next. Your choice:)

Posted on Jan 1, 2013, 7:16:04 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 1, 2013, 7:53:05 PM PST
Lyn says:
Nite Courtney

Many years ago I resolved never to bother with New Year's resolutions, and I've stuck with it ever since. - Dave Beard

R

Posted on Jan 1, 2013, 7:56:14 PM PST
seedlady says:
i always get a kick out of posting in tomorrow's thread.

Posted on Jan 1, 2013, 8:08:11 PM PST
Lol seedlady

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2013, 8:28:14 PM PST
ebook addict says:
@Bailey,
Your post "Many years ago I resolved never to bother with New Year's resolutions, and I've stuck with it ever since. - Dave Beard" Interestingly enough, if that had been a resolution, it was one of the few that has been kept. Love the irony.

Found this book for you Bailey. He doesn't sound as intelligent as you, but maybe it is just his lisp. Thought you might be interested in supporting another dawg's effort.

Help my dog's on Twitter (The ramblings of Harry The Spaniel)
My name is Harry I am an English Springer Spaniel and I am vewy vewy handsome BOL (bark out loud) I live wiv my hoomans and my sisfur Maggie and I wuv dem vewy much. You will have noticed dat dogs have der own language when typing. To help de hooman weaders I have done a dictionary at de back of my book to makes it easier fur yoo to twanslate. I is fought full like dat!

Dis book is about my experiences on Twitter and life in general wiv all my pals and some vewy wuvly hoomans too. Some of my pals has been kind enuff to let me do interviews wiv dem which are funny and sad.

I hope it makes u howl wiv laughter and no cwy too much as I has had great fun in writing it.

Lots of wuv Harry @SpanielHarry x

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2013, 8:48:50 PM PST
Lyn says:
Thanks even though I don't know what twitter is. A bird? :)
It might be a fun book to read though.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2013, 9:45:18 PM PST
That sounds like a hilarious book ebook... but I would drive myself crazy pronouncing all those words in my head... and probably end up talking wif a whisp myself. LOL

Marilyn

Posted on Jan 1, 2013, 10:01:47 PM PST
4Nbahu says:
I am wrapped in so many layers.. Hubby just too his computer and is working under the quilts. 43F or 6C and foggy. No central heating. I hate room heaters. So today is going to be interesting. Now I have to find my little wool cap that I only wear on days like this. Did I mention most houses in India are made of cement? So in the summer once the walls get hot it is like living in an oven. In the winter it is like living in a cooler. Oh well it is only for about 3 weeks.

Posted on Jan 1, 2013, 10:08:06 PM PST
4Nbahu says:
Here is a question. On Dec 23 I downloaded NOT FREE NOW The Boy Who Cried Over Everything NOT FREE NOW DON'T READ TO CHILDREN UNLESS YOU READ IT FIRST.

I wrote a review on it, because it truly disturbed me and I was wondering if I was just being a silly nilly. The book is being targeted to the 2-5 age group. If interested my review tells more. but basically it is this.

In a lesson story to try and get children not to cry over silly things the author has the little boy accidentally kill a bird to show that there are some things that we should cry over. Is this something that YOU would read to that age group?

This had 28 5 stars, please someone help me understand, because I am not young and the story disturbed me and I am not easily disturbed.

Posted on Jan 1, 2013, 10:25:37 PM PST
redandwhite says:
Morning everyone - what a mega day yesterday was on the thread, so nice to hear from so many people both regulars and newbies - it has taken me ages to read through everything and I may well be late for work for that reason. !
Just wanted to touch in and say how much I appreciate all of you with your stories all of which are moving in one way or another. I laugh an cry with you all every day - sending positive thoughts to all of you for the start of this year, may it bring you all the things that you need.
Thank you all for being here, my life is certainly enriched by you all.
I am off to get ready for work now (07:30 am here) and hoping that there is not too much broken glass on the roads after new years revelling - don't want to have a puncture on my bike ;-) Enjoy your day everyone - Back later.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2013, 11:04:06 PM PST
ebook addict says:
@4Nbahu,
I agree with you, killing a bird is totally inappropriate for that age group. In fact even for much older kids the message could be made without killing animals. The negative reviews all referred to that as that reason for the low ratings. The 4 & 5 star reviews omitted that reference except for one that said "a bit sad for animal lovers".

From the author page I see that her employment is in fields with a religious affiliation. So I find the content of this book and it's lack of sensitivity even more shocking.

I also noticed that 3 people had given dv to all the negative reviews & uv to all the positive reviews from the last week. Smacks to me of bias. I went through & did what I could to balance that out.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2013, 11:23:16 PM PST
4Nbahu says:
@ebook addict how do you know that 3 people had dv? Is there a way to see who dv and uv?

Posted on Jan 2, 2013, 1:09:34 AM PST
I am so confused about the time now - I somehow thought this was yesterday's thread and couldn't understand why it wasn't longer! So note to self, this is Wednesday January 2nd, and I am glad since I am in my office and if it really were the third I would be in the wrong place! Two days of travel coming up so better get organised... Kindle, credit card, charger... Right, ready to go!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2013, 1:30:09 AM PST
Northern Lights.... Well I'm glad you have your priorities straight and you've placed your Kindle first! LOL

Posted on Jan 2, 2013, 1:33:22 AM PST
A few picks to start the day....

Reinventing Mona by Jennifer Coburn - Contemporary Fiction

What's new? Me, for starters... It all began when my job offered me a buyout package. That's when the realization hit: I'm young, I'm rich (thanks to a hefty inheritance), and I'm boring. Things are gonna change-starting now... Building a better man trap... First things first: Exercise. Carrot juice. Straight hair. Whiter teeth. Clothes that fit. But wait-there's more. I'm finally ready to take a chance on love with the perfect guy. He's handsome. He's smart. He's reliable. He's my CPA. Problem is, I'm clueless about winning him over. It's time to call in an expert. It's time to call in The Dog. Down, boy. Mike "The Dog" Dougherty is a man's man. A guy's guy. Okay, he's a chauvinist pig, and his sty is "The Dog House," a testosterone-charged column in Maximum for Him magazine. On one hand, I abhor all he stands for. On the other hand, who better to coach me? So here I am. Learning the complex unspoken language of the American male (Talk, bad. Sex, good.); trying exciting new things (Stripping lessons are empowering. Really.); falling for Mike. Uh oh. But the Mike I'm getting to know is different from The Dog. And the Mona I'm becoming isn't quite who I expected, either. This whole makeover scheme is getting crazier by the minute. But "crazy" beats "boring"...right?

The Advocate (The Advocate Series) - Mystery

For Sabre Orin Brown, life is good; she has it all...or would have, if only she could solve the mysterious disappearance of her brother. The search for her brother and her career as a Juvenile Court Attorney collide when she defends a nine-year-old whose father will go to any length to obtain custody.
Sabre finds herself immersed in a case with too many unanswered questions. Her quest for the truth takes her coast to coast and five years into the past. Confronted with mysterious clues and strange occurrences, Sabre is threatened by someone wanting to make her suffer the unbearable anguish of losing everything--including her life.
As Sabre's passion to find the answers intensifies, she discovers a twisted history of desperation, deceit, and revenge. And she discovers how obscure and treacherous the truth can be.

Get a Life! 8 Steps to Create Your Own Life List (a how-to short) by Stephanie Bond

Are you bored? Feeling uninspired? Escape the everyday minutiae of life by creating your own Life List! This how-to short will give you a quick blueprint for brainstorming your own Life List, either on your own or as a fun activity with friends and family!

Slow Cooker in a Flash (Fast Food From Home) - Cooking

Slow Cooker in a flash seems to be an oxymoron. While the actual cooking may take hours, putting the recipe together should not. Almost all the recipes in this book do not require additional cooking to be able to put the ingredients together. If you buy hamburger in bulk and divide it once you get home, you can brown it then, freeze it in one-pound quantities, and have it ready to add.
You may want to add noodles, pasta, or rice to go with the main dinner dish in the slow cooker, but you do not have to brown hamburger, chicken, or any other meat for these recipes.
Just mix the ingredients, plug in the slow cooker, and turn it on. When you are ready, the slow cooker meal will be ready in a flash.
The only requirement is planning ahead to give the slow cooker time to cook.
If you are taking dinner to someone's house, or contributing to a potluck, there is no easier way to transport a meal than in a slow cooker.
These recipes are also great for preparing dinner before you leave for work. When you come back in the door, you will be greeted with the aroma of dinner already cooking!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2013, 2:00:01 AM PST
Thank you for starting us out today Courtney. I must say the best thing about living in Southern California is that it is rarely dreary here. Sunny and beautiful is the norm.

I am saying 2013 and I think that is mostly due to starting threads here and on the Links Only thread. First time ever I've been in sync with the New Year I think!

I still have all of my Christmas decorations up so I must get myself in gear and get the tree down, it's so beautiful I dread taking it down, and get everything put away. Maybe I'll start on that today. Maybe.....

Soon we'll see Valentines stuff in the stores. It may already be there. LOL

Posted on Jan 2, 2013, 2:56:59 AM PST
Good morning everyone. Looks like it's back to the old grind for me today. Hope everyone who has to go back to work has an easy day. From my wish list this morning: Nearly Departed in Deadwood (Deadwood Humorous Mystery Series #1)

Posted on Jan 2, 2013, 3:18:01 AM PST
Does anyone know if using a phone charger to charge a Kindle will damage the Kindle?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2013, 3:22:26 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 2, 2013, 3:23:10 AM PST
I have interchanged many devices with my kindle charger and kindle usb cord.Anything with the mini USB. I learned the hard way however not to run my tablet which requires 2 amp on a one amp charger :@/.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2013, 3:23:09 AM PST
4Nbahu says:
I use my blackberry charger all the time.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2013, 3:27:18 AM PST
4n do you enjoy your blackberry? I had one for 2 years. In the beginning I loved it. I've since switched to iPhone which I swore I'd never do lol. The blackberry had very few aps where as the iPhone allows me to carry around prayer books and a variety of things needed on a daily basis as its all in an ap and divided by each day. I love it!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2013, 3:36:18 AM PST
4Nbahu says:
@Chaya the only reason why I got a blackberry was because the rest of the family had one and I could make a "family" group which came in handy. Now I am stuck with the thing(I refuse to change a phone until it dies) while everyone else has moved on to iPhone5s and Galaxy 3s. Luckily my phone is showing signs of giving up the ghost. Luckily we can all communicate with What's App. I'm actually thinking of a Nexus if it ever comes here. I'm not positive yet, but I have come to appreciate having everything on my phone.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2013, 3:53:04 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 2, 2013, 4:05:02 AM PST
I've an iPhone 4s. Hubby and daughter own nexus . I love my Samsung galaxy tab so no nexus or iPad for me. I love everything on my phone as well. Due to my health issues reading on my phone for long hauls is never a good idea.

4N can you have USA family ship you a nexus? Do you ever get homesick?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
How to tell if a gifted ebook has been redeemed 17 7 hours ago
Potentially Perky People - Part Deux 8345 7 hours ago
FREE Books & Chat - September 2017 639 7 hours ago
Searching Kindle Unlimited 34 8 hours ago
Kindle in Motion 34 8 hours ago
how do i reset kindle fire hd...factory 20 8 hours ago
Organizing Books on Kindle Fire 325 8 hours ago
Kindle fire spell check 26 8 hours ago
Discounted / Price Dropped Kindle eBooks IV 2870 9 hours ago
We're Quirky! There Are Various Critters, Including Tail-less Manx Kittens, Here. We Also Have Hugh Manatee. Bring Your Quilting And Sewing Projects, Your Camera, And Your Instant Pot. So Geese And Tally Ho! 4571 9 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  59
Total posts:  245
Initial post:  Jan 1, 2013
Latest post:  Sep 14, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers