Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer power_s3 power_s3 power_s3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle fire HD, book transfer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 35 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 2, 2012 10:57:58 PM PDT
Helga says:
Is it possible to load all the books that I have bought for my Kindle onto the new Kindle fire HD so that I dont need both products while traveling.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2012 11:39:51 PM PDT
Helga - Yes. You just need to register your new Kindle Fire to the account to which your old Kindle is registered. Your books will be in your Cloud ready to download after you've connected wirelessly.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 1:14:54 PM PST
HenryM says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 1:18:19 PM PST
Bixillarla says:
You cannot just copy the files from one Kindle to another. You have to download them to each device 1 at a time. When you download a Ebook to a device it is coded to work only on that particular device.

When you copied the files from your HD to the Kindle you got the DRM notice because they were coded to work on the HD only.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 1:20:56 PM PST
B. Marks says:
Something is going on there. You have to be doing something wrong. I have a LOT of books and I have a Kindle Fire and a Paperwhite and a Touch and a Kindle Basic and a Kindle Keyboard and 2 other devices with Kindle apps that I regularly use.

I've never had any problem putting Kindle books from Amazon on any of these devices. The only limit I've run into is when I try to put a book on more than 6 devices. Some books let me do that. Most tell me I've exceeded the maximum and I have to remove it from some other device before I can continue.

I've done this too many times to count. You should be able to download your books again on another device registered to the same account as long as you download the books from your Kindle Library at Amazon and don't try to transfer them via USB from one device to another.

Barry

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 1:23:32 PM PST
Henry - You don't transfer books from one device to another. You need to download them to the new device from your Amazon account. DRM is like a lock that is put on each file and the specific Kindle is the key. Each Kindle must have it's own version of the file. This is to prevent you from sharing a book with 5000 of your Facebook friends.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 3:09:39 PM PST
HenryM says:
I would add that initially I attempted to download them into the Kindle2 directly from my Amazon account, but the K2 while being listed in the download to choices, was grayed out. The only option was K1, so I then removed the items from K1 which I then removed from the wifi connection and then powered off. I then reloaded my Amazon page and tried to download it directly into K2 but was unable to do so as it was still grayed out. It was at that point I tried d/l it to my pc and tried transferring files etc. As Barryem stated, I am probably doing something wrong, but why do some files work and others not. For example, there were two diferent newspapers in my Kindle account, one d/l no problem, while the other would only d/l to K1.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 3:38:13 PM PST
@Henry: Sounds too complicated for me. I think that you need to use the large orange Contact Us button to the right to contact Amazon Kindle CS and talk with them about it - use the live chat or the call back feature if you can, not email. If you can't see a Contact Us button on this page, then go to https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/contact-us/kindle-help.html and contact CS. I advise using Live Chat or the Call Me Back feature and not email, as they will have your account details available to them immediately when you talk with them.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 5:33:13 PM PST
HenryM says:
I would add that initially I attempted to download them into the Kindle2 directly from my Amazon account, but the K2 while being listed in the download to choices, was grayed out. The only option was K1, so I then removed the items from K1 which I then removed from the wifi connection and then powered off. I then reloaded my Amazon page and tried to download it directly into K2 but was unable to do so as it was still grayed out. It was at that point I tried d/l it to my pc and tried transferring files etc. As Barryem stated, I am probably doing something wrong, but why do some files work and others not. For example, there were two diferent newspapers in my Kindle account, one d/l no problem, while the other would only d/l to K1.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 5:44:48 PM PST
 Ann says:
If a device is grayed-out in the "Deliver to" menu, that usually means that the content you are trying to download isn't compatible with that particular device. If a book or other item isn't compatible with certain devices, it will be noted on the item's product page.

What were you trying to download to your Kindle Fire?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 6:37:32 PM PST
HenryM says:
Example was Daily Telegraph uk newspaper. The Daily Mail worked fine.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 7:00:56 PM PST
B. Marks says:
Publishers are allowed to specify things such as what devices and how many devices you can use something on and maybe that's what got you.

You might want to call Amazon's Kindle support and ask them.

Barry

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 7:04:57 PM PST
Bixillarla says:
The subscriptions can vary wildly on what devices you can use them on, it is upto the publisher. Check the product page for them and make sure they are compatible with the device you want it on, my guess it is not if it is greyed out.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 11:30:49 AM PST
HenryM says:
The last 2 responses were correct - thank you. I had already unregistered the paperwhite and then tried to purchase today's edition of THE TELEGRAPH and this time a message appeared to the effect of "no compatible device". That would explain why it was grayed out when I tried to download a previous purchased edition. I had assumed that all kindle publications could be downloaded to ANY Kindle device. Apparently with this one it allow d/l to certain smartphones & tablet pc's but not to Kindle Fire! Anyway, thanks for your responses, at least I know what the problem is.

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 8:20:22 PM PST
L. Carlson says:
I would like to download some books my friend emailed me in a zip file into my kindle fire HD. Is there any way to do this?

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 4:39:06 AM PST
Does anyone know why the books that I purchased for my regular kindle don't show up in my kindle library? Bought a kindle fire and wanted to move them over.

Posted on Feb 5, 2013 6:14:21 AM PST
ok, I bought a Kindle first and then bought the Kindle Fire HD. I would like to use the Kindle as my library for all the books I read on my KFHD. How do I move them from my KFHD to my Kindle? Since the KFHD has other uses, I take that on trips with me and the K stays at home as my library to read again. Thank you for your help anyone. Sandra

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2013 6:52:33 AM PST
A. Dietz says:
Sandra, did you read any of the responses in this thread? Your question has been answered several times. You do NOT move books from one device to another device, they won't work. You have to register both Kindles to the same amazon.com account and download books directly from the account.

Posted on Feb 22, 2013 2:58:41 AM PST
I had a Kindle DX and was gifted a Kindle Fire HD LTE. When I registered my new Kindle Fire ALL my books did automatically download to the new device. Now I purchased a new book from an authors publishing site and it was PRN format but it didn't download to my books I call the Tech support and found it in my Docs. My question is when my books automatically transferred over they don't show the titles under Books on the device. I connected to my PC and all I see are strange numbers. I have no way of telling which book is which. Is there a fix for this???? I tried matching the number from the purchase with what was showing in the file and yeah no. I have well over 250 + books

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 22, 2013 3:04:42 AM PST
FoundQuilting all my books transferred to the new device (KindleFire HD) I get great graphics etc. When I plugged my Fire to the computer and pulled up the files to check all books, most if not all transferred over but no titles. I can't tell what is in the folder. I posted a question below on this but thought maybe you knew a quick fix. I've called Kindle Tech support for other items and their great. I may have to call them again if I don't get answers. I also notice when purchasing books from other sites (authors publishing companys) they don't show on the device under books and go straight to docs even though the format is good with my kindle. This is a little frustrating. Have you had the issue. At first I couldn't find the books so the publishing house sent two more times. Then I called Kindle Tech Support. They couldn't tell me why it didn't hit the carousel

Posted on May 2, 2013 5:43:35 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 2, 2013 5:45:42 PM PDT
yorkie mom says:
I have a kindle fire hd and have just downloaded books to it. The books are only showing on the carousel and not in the book folder. How can I move them to the book folder and remove them from the carousel?

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2013 3:12:00 AM PDT
go to the cloud and go to the very right hand side and simply touch where the book is and a check mark will appear this will put it under your book tab.

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2013 5:39:34 AM PDT
Okay, look. Nothing is ON the Carousel. The Carousel is JUST a visual history of what's been used/added recently. It means nothing. If *I* buy a book for MY Paperwhite, that cover pops up on my daughter's Fire, just as a visual, "Hey! Something happened." The Carousel means nothing.

But if you buy a book here online, it's going to SHOW in the Carousel. But that doesn't mean it's ON the Fire. You simply *touch* the cover, (assuming your wi-fi is turned on), and it will download. If you selected "Send To" that Fire, all you have to do is sync. It should download, but if it happens not to, just *touch* the cover and the Fire will "go get" the book from the Cloud.

If you don't want a notice (for so the Carousel is) on the Carousel, long-touch the item, and a menu will pop up. Select "Remove from Carousel". But that's a pain in the a55, and a waste of time, unless you need to remove an embarrassing cover from it.

The Carousel means nothing.

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2013 5:35:23 PM PDT
Yes plug in the kindle fire to your computer then open the file that says docs and drag and drop there or you can drag and drop into your books file

Posted on Jun 21, 2013 10:14:17 PM PDT
I bought a kindle fire hd 8.9 inch in the UK. However, I want to use it in India where I stay. I am unable to download apps. I want to to open Indian versions of websites as well. Will resetting to factory defaults help?
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
86th RAoK - Let the Games Begin 4388 12 minutes ago
We're Quirky And We Know It! Come Witness The Howling Dink, Hussy Turkey Hens, And A Veritable Plethora Of Other Beasts! So Geese! 5697 20 minutes ago
Can no longer download from public library 3 24 minutes ago
KINDLE KITCHEN #6: A place for sharing, caring, chat and FUN! 110 29 minutes ago
Trying to log in to Amazon from Kindle 3 31 minutes ago
How to Deliver Books to Fire and Kindle 1 37 minutes ago
Reformat Kindle? 25 48 minutes ago
Fire Tv has no sound on HDMI 2 267 51 minutes ago
how do i log out? 357 56 minutes ago
Remove WPS office 4 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  20
Total posts:  35
Initial post:  Oct 2, 2012
Latest post:  Apr 20, 2016

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 9 customers

Search Customer Discussions