Amazon Vehicles Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Britney Spears Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Shop Now STEM
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

how do I store my kindle library on sd card

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 79 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 19, 2013 2:15:02 PM PST
Vicky gulch says:
How do I store kindle library on sd card

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2013 2:17:26 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2013 2:18:16 PM PST
You don't. Kindles don't read SD cards. What are you trying to accomplish? Are you trying to make a backup? Do you want to put books on a different device? What?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2013 2:23:53 PM PST
Vicky gulch says:
My samsung galaxy does

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2013 2:25:56 PM PST
Vicky gulch says:
I have an android tablet with kindle app. I want to store my kindle library on sd card.

Posted on Dec 19, 2013 3:04:14 PM PST
In your manage your Kindle page, you can click each Kindle Book, and select "transfer via USB" IF you have a regular Kindle registered to your account. It won't let me do it for books going to K4PC or to my Nexus tablet though, I have to keep my old Kindle 2 registered just to keep the download option open.

You can then download the books and save them to an SD card, and should be able to read them on your Kindle App that is registered to your account. I don't use the Kindle App, so not 100% on that, but it should work. I know nothing about using the Kindle App with external storage, but hopefully someone here can help with that. The books will be DRMed, so you won't be able to read them on any other app, unless you strip that DRM first.

There might also be a way to save it directly from where the kindle app stores your books on your device to your SD card. My Nexus 7 doesn't have an SD slot, so I'm not sure of that either.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2013 3:43:11 PM PST
Even though you can save kindle books onto SD card, as described above, you would also need to set the kindle app so that it *looks* for the books on the SD card. I don't have a tablet, so I haven't tried it and don't know whether that setting is possible to alter in the app.

Posted on Dec 19, 2013 3:53:55 PM PST
Jay says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Dec 19, 2013 3:57:55 PM PST
But "I want to store my kindle library on sd card. I want to store my kindle library on sd card. I want to store my kindle library on sd card. I want to store my kindle library on sd card."

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2013 4:00:07 PM PST
Just Peachy says:
Erin, why don't you try reading the whole thread before calling people stupid.

Posted on Dec 19, 2013 4:01:38 PM PST
Reed says:
If you just want a backup you can download the Kindle app to your Mac or PC. You can then download the books, put them in collections or keep them listed as archives the same way you would with a Kindle device.

Posted on Dec 19, 2013 4:04:11 PM PST
Ed G says:
I don't have an android device handy and I won't be home for hours. If I recall, either the application manager under settings or maybe a third-party app like ES File Explorer has an option to move an application's data to the SD card. Some apps can handle the location change, and some can't.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2013 4:23:42 PM PST
No, that won't work. If you download a book for a Kindle 2, you can't read it on an Android app. DRM limits it to the device for which it was downloaded. You did mention DRM, but it wasn't clear if you understood that. If you strip the DRM first, you should be able to read the books on the Android app.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2013 5:10:37 PM PST
Yeah I wasn't sure on that. I do strip all my amazon purchases, so I can read it wherever I want to.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2013 5:16:33 PM PST
>>If you want SD card slot capability, buy a tablet which has an SD card slot.<<

She's got one. That's why she's asking!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2013 5:52:21 PM PST
She did.

Posted on Dec 19, 2013 5:57:34 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2013 5:57:50 PM PST
Stripping the DRM is a violation of your book purchase agreement. Get Calibre and use it to organize your entire library.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2013 6:06:20 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2013 6:13:04 PM PST
>>Stripping the DRM is a violation of your book purchase agreement,<<

Not in Australia it isn't. Australian law specifically allows people to strip protection off digital content in order to make a back-up copy for one's own personal use.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2013 10:46:30 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2013 10:51:24 PM PST
Jay says:

Posted on Dec 19, 2013 11:25:17 PM PST
TO: vjvl51 (Vickie)

The very first Kindle has a sd card slot. In my opinion, still the best design.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2013 12:18:03 AM PST
*You* might call it a public service, but that's simply whitewashing. It's actually just plain rudeness. The OP gave no indication at all that she'd bought something she didn't want, nor that she "couldn't get her Samsung Galaxy to store stuff for her". She was asking a question about kindle content and the kindle app, and this is the right place for that.

*You* jumped to conclusions, made wrong assumptions, and criticised her on the basis of that. Heaven defend me from such "public service" - it's harder to stomach than any politician!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2013 4:10:22 AM PST
Just Peachy says:
+1000

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2013 4:54:45 AM PST
J. Gatie says:
Erin is the very definition of:

'The trouble with the world is not that people know too little; it's that they know so many things that just aren't so. '

- Mark Twain

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2013 5:16:16 AM PST
Trying to argue good sense into Erin is an utter waste of time.
Use the Ignore button instead.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2013 7:05:46 AM PST
pmark says:
Vicky,

When I had an old Android tablet, I created a directory /Kindle on the SD card and moved the books to it (hooked up device to a computer). I don't know if that works with the current versions.

Best of luck.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
I was deleting books from my cloud & I delete my Jimmy Swagger bible. Is there any way I can get it backk 141 7 minutes ago
Free Books and Chat - August 2016 767 14 minutes ago
86th RAoK - Let the Games Begin 4415 26 minutes ago
2 Kindles - One account 24 28 minutes ago
OT: Discussion - (Freebie Books Links Only) 5450 1 hour ago
Freebie Books - Links Only - No Self Promotion IV 8171 1 hour ago
Battery life for basic Kindle (am I doing something wrong 3 1 hour ago
wordwise enabled books in spanish 2 2 hours ago
Kindle / Audible Recommendations and Deals (KARD) 3298 2 hours ago
Elephants Three at The Ģrandest Hotel - Part IV 4971 3 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  43
Total posts:  79
Initial post:  Dec 19, 2013
Latest post:  May 24, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions