Amazon Vehicles Beauty Trade in your textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Home Gift Guide Father's Day Gifts Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning masterpiece masterpiece masterpiece  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Shop Now Ellen
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Books with audible sound

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 28 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 4, 2013, 1:59:46 PM PDT
Thimble says:
If I purchase Prime Membership, are you able to get most books with audible reading?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2013, 2:04:27 PM PDT
I'm not sure what you're looking for. Prime membership allows you to borrow one book per calendar month from the lending library. Many of them have text-to-speech enabled. Audio books are not part of the lending library.

Does that help? If not, please re-phrase your question.

Posted on Jun 4, 2013, 2:05:08 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 4, 2013, 2:05:29 PM PDT
Subscribing to Amazon Prime has nothing to do with Audiobooks, Text-to-speech or Immersion reading. Prime offers the following:

1) Free two days shipping on selected physical products from Amazon.com
2) Free streaming of Prime Instant Videos
3) for Kindle owners, the ability to BORROW one book per month from the Kindle Owner's Lending Library. Of those books in the lending library, some may have text-to-speech. If you want the companion audiobook, that must be purchased separately.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2013, 2:05:21 PM PDT
I have this person on ignore. No idea why though.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2013, 2:11:24 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 4, 2013, 2:13:04 PM PDT
Thimble says:
First of all, there are two Curly's I think and why you have me on ignore I am not sure. I found out there were two at some point.

Am sure I did not explain it well to begin with though. I may get the prime membership anyway, but mainly wanted to know how to find out if a book I purchase is TTS. I have Downton Abbey on my Kindle Fire HD and am not able to play it all the way, just gives a samplel of the TTS and says you have to have to purchase for an additional $1.99 for getting the TTS for the rest of the book. Does that explain it a little better, not sure how to word it. Just am trying to find out how to get books with TTS and are there just certain ones that way. Thank you.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2013, 2:15:10 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 4, 2013, 2:15:35 PM PDT
Ok, I think what you're looking for isn't Text-to-speech, it's Immersion reading. That's where you have a professional reading the text and you can follow along with the printed text. Text-to-speech means the computer is reading the words.

In any case, Prime has nothing to do with it.

Posted on Jun 4, 2013, 2:15:23 PM PDT
Thimble says:
I just saw the answer about the audio books - did not read that one until after I had hit send on my last one. Thanks so very much. (Guess I was a little upset with someone having put me on their ignore list)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2013, 2:15:54 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jun 4, 2013, 2:18:04 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2013, 2:16:37 PM PDT
PeepDittie says:
That's not TTS. Whether or not an e-book has TTS is in the product description where the publisher is listed, etc. Audio books are a whole other product and they don't come with text at all.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2013, 2:17:22 PM PDT
There are books as well. One example:

Downton Abbey Script Book Season 1

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2013, 2:19:23 PM PDT
Thimble says:
I can agree it is very confusing. Am not sure what books you can get on the Kindle Fire HD and watch plus listen to it also. How does that one sound? Maybe I have TTS mixed up with audio. I was just wanting to watch and listen at the same time.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2013, 2:23:58 PM PDT
So, you want the text in front of you while you listen to the book being read. Is that correct? There are two ways to do it. If the book has tts, you open the book and turn tts on. The computer will read the words as you look at them.

The second way is immersion reading. In that case, you purchase an audio book (at a greatly reduced rate) as well as the Kindle text edition. You synchronize them and professional readers or actors read the words while you look at them. (I can't give you specific steps on this, because I don't use it.)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2013, 2:30:18 PM PDT
Thimble says:
That was of great help and I appreciate your explaining it. Yes, that is exactly what I need. The reason is that sometimes my husband watches TV and I want to look at a movie on my Kindle Fire HD plus listen to it also. Thanks so much for your help!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2013, 2:33:08 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 4, 2013, 2:34:06 PM PDT
If what you want to do is watch a movie, you can get headphones to plug into the Fire.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2013, 2:44:52 PM PDT
You want to watch a movie on your Fire and listen to what at the same time? The movie, an audiobook? I'm confused.

Do you mean closed captioning on movies and TV shows? (Subtitles on the screen for the hard of hearing)?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2013, 3:38:12 PM PDT
A. Dietz says:
Watching movies on your Kindle Fire has nothing to do with reading Kindle books, immersion reading, or text to speech. Now you have me really confused. What exactly are you trying to do?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2013, 9:31:51 PM PDT
Thimble says:
I was wanting to watch a movie (Downton Abbey as an example) and listen to it at the same time. I realize this has to do mainly with audio tapes by now. Thanks to everyone for their help. First to have a Kindle Fire HD in my home.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2013, 9:38:11 PM PDT
Neverafter says:
Since Downton Abbey is a talkie, not a silent movie, it will play with sound to match.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2013, 10:08:54 PM PDT
Watching movies on your Fire has nothing to do with audio books, TTS, immersion reading OR "audio tapes". Tapes are not involved at all.

When you download a video to watch on the Fire, the file contains both audio (sound) and video (picture) components. Just play it, and you'll get both. If you also want text (subtitles) to read while watching, that's different again.

Seriously, what DO you want to do? Your story keeps changing.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2013, 10:13:32 PM PDT
A. Dietz says:
I think I'm finally starting to understand. Do you mean you want to watch the movie and listen to the audio book at the same time? If so, you are going to be very disappointed. The movie and the book are almost certainly not going to match up at all. I have audio books that are 17 hours long, where the movie made from the same book is 90 minutes long. The movie is going to be finished and you're going to be about 10% of the way into the audio book.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 5, 2013, 4:31:46 AM PDT
I absolutely do not understand. A movie will HAVE audio, already. And the script the actors are speaking will in NO way resemble the text of the novel.

Posted on Jun 5, 2013, 8:01:15 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jun 5, 2013, 8:03:27 AM PDT]

Posted on Jun 5, 2013, 8:19:21 AM PDT
Thimble says:
I have been asking mainly for a friend of mine who is partially blind and not able to see very well at all. So she is wanting the sound to go along with it. Hopefully she will be able to see enough to enjoy it. So I have been asking her questions so I can let you all know what to answer from me. She is elderly and not able to get on computer and exlain it all (just like me) since I am practically "Interpreting" all of this for her. THank all of you for your helhp. Maybe I can get her situated.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 5, 2013, 8:23:19 AM PDT
Okay, your friend needs to choose. Either *listen* to the movie dialog itself AS it plays ...

... OR ...

Listen to an actor READ an audio book. The low-vision thing doesn't matter. You can't listen to an audio book AND watch the movie of the same title at the same time.

They AREN'T the same thing; they are not compatible. Either "watch" the movie, and get the story from listening to it, OR "read" the audio book by listening to it.

You cannot mesh a book and movie.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 5, 2013, 8:28:22 AM PDT
What Folina said. Even movies based on books are substantially different than the original books. Books will have descriptions of scenes, dialogue tags, internal thoughts of some characters.... Not to mention entire chapters and sequences of events may be eliminated or moved in time from the original.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Amazon Prime For Hawaii and Alaska?????? 293 1 hour ago
Being redirected to Kindle Unlimited when trying to borrow books through Owner's Lending Library 11 1 hour ago
FREE Books & Chat - May 2017 840 2 hours ago
We're Quirky! There Are Various Critters, Including Tail-less Manx Kittens, Here. We Also Have Hugh Manatee. Bring Your Quilting And Sewing Projects, Your Camera, And Your Instant Pot. So Geese And Tally Ho! 1385 2 hours ago
May, 2017 What are YOU reading? 90 3 hours ago
87th RAOK Let the winter fun begin! 8506 3 hours ago
Can't remove deleted books 79 3 hours ago
Kindle free time content 3 4 hours ago
Freebie Books - Links Only - No Self Promotion IV 9613 5 hours ago
Kindle Fire HD and GPS 63 5 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  12
Total posts:  28
Initial post:  Jun 4, 2013
Latest post:  Jun 5, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer