Amazon Vehicles Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Britney Spears Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Shop Now
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle update 7.3.1 -- Why no advanced warning?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-13 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 20, 2013 10:51:57 AM PDT
Yarddog6 says:
Update just came in this morning when I fired up my Kindle (8.9")...

As with the last update, I didn't have any advanced warning that the update was coming. Fortunately I had a full charge and didn't need to use my Kindle immediately, but I am wondering when Amazon will build a feature that will allow users to "opt out" of software updates.

My recommendation, for what it's worth, is for Amazon to post a notification to the website, or an e-mail with the following information:
a) Date/time of the next update...at least one week out
b) Size of the update
c) Planned enhancements or improvements.

Amazon has at least one e-mail address for all of us, so they could very easily send this to us without too much effort.

And, I'm pretty sure these updates are in the works for a bit before they actually send them out (at least I would HOPE that they are doing testing)

Fortunately all of my updates have been flawless, but the fact that I never know when I will get them gives me pause...
- Are there control measures in place to prevent an update if a user's battery power is below a certain level?
- And what would happen to a kindle if the battery died mid-update?
- Or what if someone wasn't aware that they were receiving an update and then left their home/office and were no longer within range of wi-fi?

So, c'mon Amazon, let's give everyone a heads up before the next software update!

YD6

Posted on Apr 20, 2013 11:01:11 AM PDT
- Are there control measures in place to prevent an update if a user's battery power is below a certain level?
Yes, almost without a doubt.

- And what would happen to a kindle if the battery died mid-update?
See above.

- Or what if someone wasn't aware that they were receiving an update and then left their home/office and were no longer within range of wi-fi?
It will partially download and either resume or start the download over when it is connected again.

Good, bad, or indifferent, Kindle updates, like those of many other small consumer electronics, are not really optional, but there are safeguards built into the operating system to ensure it will only update when it is safe, so it doesn't make a lot of sense to send out advance notice. The only way to not get updates is to never, ever connect to a network, which sort of renders the device useless.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2013 8:39:06 AM PDT
Yarddog6 says:
So then you don't see a disparity between users having the ability to control when apps are updated (which we do have) versus the ability to control when the O/S is updated?

Even on my Blackberry, I get a notification that an update is available, and then I can execute that update at the time and place of my choosing.

Also important to note that we don't actually have any idea what was actually updated here on 7.3.1. The update page doesn't tell us what features were updated or if it was simply a bug fix. These are details that I believe that the users are entitled to.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2013 8:41:46 AM PDT
What did Customer Service say when you asked them?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2013 8:49:40 AM PDT
If your Kindle Fire HD 8.9" is getting a 7.3.1 update rather than the 8.3.1 update, then there's something wrong.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2013 9:14:08 AM PDT
CBRetriever says:
correct: Kindle Fire HD 8.9" Software Update Version 8.3.1 is the latest

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2013 3:54:04 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 22, 2013 3:54:27 PM PDT
mo.c. says:
"Also important to note that we don't actually have any idea what was actually updated here on 7.3.1. The update page doesn't tell us what features were updated or if it was simply a bug fix. These are details that I believe that the users are entitled to."

On page 1 of this Kindle forum is a notice of Kindle Software Updates and shows what todays update was for each of the Kindle Fire and Kindle HD models.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2013 7:04:35 PM PDT
Yarddog6 says:
Coleen & CBRetriever -- I stand corrected... 8.3.1, you are correct.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2013 7:05:22 PM PDT
Yarddog6 says:
ME to TN

The only explanation given on the Kindle Update page for 8.3.1 is as follows:

"We have a new, free software update available for Kindle Fire HD 8.9". The software update will be delivered wirelessly and includes bug fixes and performance enhancements.

The software update will be delivered automatically when you connect to a Wi-Fi network."

Posted on May 1, 2013 2:11:52 PM PDT
zimmy says:
Everytime I get an update, it screws everything up (the cloud drive affected the most) and I have to restore kindle to factory settings, and start all over again! WHY???

In reply to an earlier post on May 1, 2013 2:18:06 PM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:
How are we supposed to know why you reset to factory settings? I haven't had any problems with updates so far.

In reply to an earlier post on May 1, 2013 10:47:30 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 1, 2013 10:47:40 PM PDT
CBRetriever says:
me either and if I do, I find a second reboot usually fixes them

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2013 1:25:31 AM PDT
If I had to guess, I'd say you're trying to do something on the device before it's finished updating.

And that, of course, is the exact reason why it would be helpful to be notified about updates and be able to choose when to do them.

That said, I know an awful lot of people who - if it was anything other than completely automatic - wouldn't bother to do it. And then they'd probably whinge that their device wasn't performing optimally :-)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
I was deleting books from my cloud & I delete my Jimmy Swagger bible. Is there any way I can get it backk 142 5 minutes ago
Battery life for basic Kindle (am I doing something wrong 5 5 minutes ago
how to type a % symbol on kindle voyage 0 12 minutes ago
It's After Midnight and I Just Opened a Bottle of Wine 5850 28 minutes ago
Kindle Fire free up internal storage? 160 44 minutes ago
Kindle app with an Apple computer with OS X El Capitan 0 48 minutes ago
Free Books and Chat - August 2016 767 1 hour ago
86th RAoK - Let the Games Begin 4415 1 hour ago
2 Kindles - One account 24 1 hour ago
OT: Discussion - (Freebie Books Links Only) 5450 2 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  9
Total posts:  13
Initial post:  Apr 20, 2013
Latest post:  May 2, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions